InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Final Battle ❯ Fireworks ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer - HP and IY aren’t mine. Feh.

RECAP: “I think you mean to say that I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself.” Kagome sniffed, a small grin twisting upon her lips. “But who can say? I’ve never been to Hogsmeade, before!”

“You’ll love it!” Neville enthusiastically trilled, as the five strode off to one of Harry’s secret passageways.

“I’m sure she will...” A voice, somewhere, quietly agreed.




Chapter 6


Quietly, he dismissed his two hulking escorts and fled to his quarters, deep, emerald robes flaring behind him. With purpose, he strode to his ebon nightstand, opening a drawer and reaching for a mirror. To an innocent bystander, it would seem his determination was founded simply by a conceited desire to satiate his vanity. However, he had checked to make certain there were no bystanders, innocent or otherwise, and despite his very real (and understandable) vanity, his intent was not as such.


His grey eyes pierced the reflective surface, waiting patiently. After a few minutes, a shadowy shape came into focus, slowly sharpening into a clear image, an older version of the one who anxiously peered into its depths.


“Hello, Father.”


“Right. Has the girl seen the notice?” The image demanded.


“No–but it’s alright. The Longbottom boy saw it and made mention of it to Potter and friends...herself counted among them.”


“Good boy, Draco. Now remember...Erzebeth’s Eden.”


“Yes, Father–“ the door creaked, and Blaise Zabini entered the room, arching his brow at Malfoy.


“What’re you on about, Malfoy?”


“Um...praying. Father, Son, Holy Ghoul. Amen and Goodnight.” He said, hastily flurrying his hands before him in an absent-minded cross-like shape (although, if seen with a keen practitioner’s eye, one would note his flippant gestures resembled more of a distressed box), and unobtrusively slid the mirror–now blank once more–back into the
drawer.


“Funny...didn’t know you were a believer.” Blaise said distantly, still eyeing Draco with a bit of suspicion as he picked up a few books.


“Yeah, well, you know...helps pass the time. Alright, see you ‘round.”


“Whatever.” And with no more inquiries, he left the room.


“Whew...” Draco sighed. Then, furrowing his brown in resolution, he stood and went to leave the room. Closing the door and stepping out of hidden portal of the Slytherin Common room, he twisted his lips in a frigid sneer.


“On with the show.”




______________________________________ _______________________________________________





Kagome shivered, as a sudden breeze blew in her ear. “Oi, Kagome!” She turned to see Harry beckoning to her from inside the door at The Leaky Cauldron. “Hermione and Ron are getting us drinks–let’s have a sit-down inside.” She smiled, and ran to him, grabbing his hand.


Inside, she was greeted with a slight thunder of chattering and a comfortable warmth hanging lightly about the air. She and Harry took their seats in a booth table, directly across from each other.


“So,” Harry began. “How’d you like Hogwarts so far?”


“Well...it’s...different.” She admitted, trying to grasp the words suitable for her feelings. “Definitely not like Japanese High School...or what little time I’ve spent in both schools. At least we don’t have to take turns cleaning the rooms after school.”


“Unless of course, you get detention.” Harry corrected, remembering all too well several afternoons spent with one Gilderoy Lockhart, who was only too eager to have him for any detention other teachers might’ve bestowed upon him. He swore he would never again dust or polish a mirror for as long as he would live...


“Yes. And...I suppose the threat of being eaten is considerably lower, now that I’m out of the Feudal Era.”


“...That is, if you stay away from Hagrid.”


Kagome tilted her head, blue eyes widening in astonishment. “Hagrid...eats people?


“No, no, no. Just watch out for the beasts he keeps as ‘pets’. His unhealthy taste for furry, feral companions in the place of a gerbil is notorious,” Harry reassured her.


“Oh, good.” Kagome’s mouth opened wide, and a musical laugh erupted like bubbles from her throat. Harry found himself involuntarily chuckling alongside her.


“Alright...what’re you giggling about?” Ron said, holding two frosted pumpkin juices in his hands.


“Nothing, really...” Kagome smiled brightly, moving over to make room for Hermione, who carried another two pumpkin juices and passed one to Kagome. “So, when’s this Fireworks Display supposed to start?”


“Madame Rosmerta said she thought it would be in about an hour, just by the Bewitching Shoppe.” Ron informed, a light pink staining his freckled cheeks.


“Of course, you would remember anything Madame Rosmerta would say, especially if it had to do with underwear. Bewitching is a shoppe that sells Witch’s lingerie...and a
few items of a racier nature in the back.” Hermione mentioned to Kagome, rolling her eyes. “Ron probably just wants to go over there to see the discounted items.”


“Yeah, well, I’d like to know how you’re so savvy about the goings-on in that store!” Ron goaded, his sky-blue eyes glowing with challenge.


Hermione lifted her chin indignantly. “I’ll have you know I happened upon that...that...hussy-mart by sheer chance! And that your sister was with me. We both left there as soon as possible...though I do think Ginny might have made a quick purchase...”


WHAT?” Ron’s eyes lit ablaze, his nostrils flaring.


“Relax! It was only a bit of scented oil. She even lent me some–here! Smell.” Hermione promptly held her wrist in front of Ron, whose nostrils were still flaring as he accidentally snorted up the perfume. Of a sudden, his blue eyes darkened to a deep navy, and his cheeks were once more tinted with a dewy blush, only it pressed forth onto his jaw-line, neck, and Kagome swore his arms had taken on a rosier hue.


Hermione began to notice his sudden change in Ron as well, and she gingerly made to take back her hand, when Ron seized it with such speed, no one even saw his movement.


“Hey!” Hermione said, about to argue with the one who held her limb captive. “Let go of me!”


Instead of complying, Ron gently cradled her hand, rolling the milky flesh of her palm just millimeters from his lips. His fingers caressed her own, much smaller digits with a strange reverence, and a hungered passion. His eyes were half-shut in mute ecstacy, and his breath came out in long, drawn-out waves, sultrily warming her skin, which was fast growing gooseflesh in reaction to his attentions. Her brows were lifted in complete shock, and she ceased all movement.


Harry and Kagome looked at each other, very much embarrassed at this uncalled-for display of affection from Ron. “Um...is he always like this?” Kagome queried, marveling at the fast-growing similarities between her two new friends and her two old friends.


“Never,” Harry faintly responded. “It must have been something in the perfume...” Harry shook his head. “Well, no use trying to stop him. Hermione doesn’t seem to be complaining, so we might as well pay our bill and–“


“Don’t you dare get up and leave me alone with him!” Hermione shrieked, resuming her futile struggle to reclaim her captured hand. Unfortunately, Ron’s grip was as steely as his resolve, and under the power of the perfume, it didn’t look as if he would be parting from Hermione’s side any time soon. And his nose seemed to be very interested in continuing its lusty quest further down her forearm...


“Oh, dear. Well, it can’t be helped...Come on, Hermione. Let’s take you and lover-boy outside to see who we can get to help.” Kagome resolved, getting up from the other side of the booth, as Harry followed.


Hermione sighed in frustration, as she clocked Ron on the side of the head with her other hand. “Let’s go, you cloddish brute.” She got up, her arm dragging Ron along with her, his nose now at her elbow.


Outside, the sky had purpled with the lingering light of a sunset. Harry and Kagome strode down the bustling streets, Hermione struggling to keep up with a smitten, lumbering Ron at her side, all four with a mission in mind.




_____________________________________________ _____________________________________




After a half hour of fruitless searching, Harry and Kagome readily gave up on finding an antidote anytime soon, and decided to resume their hunt at Hogwarts, after the Fireworks. Kagome pitied her friend, who was steadily growing weary of thwarting her ardent pursuer’s advances, the subject being presently situated in the crook of her neck, a place at which he seemed rather content.


Hermione threw her hands up (accidently banging Ron on the forehead, which mattered not in his oblivious state of bliss) and sighed, as she took her seat on the mossy earth by the Bewitchingwhich lay soundlessly dormant, a cheeky “Closed For Holiday!” laced about the frosted windows in flirting cursive. Mentally, Hermione shook her fist at the innocent guise that store assumed, and throttled herself to learn from this mistake of youthful curiosity.


Harry and Kagome, however, seemed quite happy, sitting down and waiting for the start of Fireworks. Occasionally, however, Kagome would turn around to check up on Ron and Hermione. She had experience with over-zealous suitors in the past (and by “past,” she really means it!), and was prepared to step in should things get a little too touchy-feely. Entranced wizard or not, Kagome was confident enough in her own right hook that it would knock Ron away, giving Hermione some air to breathe. But at the moment, she chose to leave them be...after all, to those who weren’t aware of the situation, it would look just like a young couple in a loving embrace.


“Kagome, look–the fireworks are about to start!” Harry broke through her cloud of thought, and Kagome’s lips stretched into a wide grin as she stared up at the dark, sapphire sky. Seconds later, a brilliant flash of bright, lemon yellow exploded across the cloudless plane, and slowly, the stunning image of a magnificent dragon sparkled and flared. Another duet of booms sounded, and the dragon was gifted with blazing red eyes, and a set of steadily flapping fuschia wings.


The lights began to fade, and the dragon appeared to fly away, when another loud boom accompanied its flight. An awesome streak of white blitzed across the evening, leaving trails of what appeared to be stars in its wake, however, the lights danced around in a merry waltz of fire. A whizzing, pink firecracker shot out amongst the jubilant white lights, and assumed the shape of a butterfly. Kagome gasped. “They’re just like a field of dandelions!” She beamed, looking at Harry and pointing to the flirting butterfly.


Harry nodded, feeling very much at peace, and permitting himself a rare few moments of enjoying the remnants of childlike innocence. He wondered at that notion briefly; both he and Kagome shared a lot of similarities. They had both suffered great losses, and both were outcasts. They each seemed to bear the weight of the world on their shoulders, having so much expected of them...yet, this girl, who he had just met, never burdened others with complaints–which would have been more than just, should she have been wont to utter any. When she spoke of her feelings or her past, it was in confidence of a sincere friendship, not a need to lay the heft of her baggage on someone else. And the air with which she carried herself was never depressing, despite the pain she held in her heart; she was always breathy with excitement for the events that lay ahead. Despite her unwelcome experiences with death, she was innocent and carefree in her ways...and she could be kind to anyone, even that bloody Malfoy.


Harry laughed boyishly at the wonder on the girl’s face as she watched another series of firecrackers exploded with impressively loud thunder, and looked up to gaze at the beauty of a replica of Merlin, waving a bright blue wand of fire around, slowly fading into darkness.


Kagome clapped and cheered, when she decided to buy herself and her companions some popcorn at the venders. “I’ll be right back,” she bade Harry, who nodded and looked back to the sky.


Careful not to trod on any of the other spectators, Kagome made her way towards a cart. “Four, please!” she jubilantly greeted, opening her purse to shell out the proper amount. She paused in her search when a bright, gold flash caught her eye. A luminescent ball seemed to bounce around the stars, and the next firecracker gave it spritely wings, as the winged-ball took flight, to the great amusement of the crowds.


Staring in amazement, Kagome hardly noticed the figure that moved to stand behind her.


“We meet again, Miss Hi-gu-ra-shi...” Kagome whipped around in sharp recognition of the voice that greeted her.


“Draco...” she uttered, distaste barely apparent in her voice.


“What’re you doing here?” She asked pointedly.


“Well, same reason as you. To watch the fireworks, of course.” Draco reached into his pocket for a galleon to give to the waiting vendor, and helped Kagome with the Popcorn. “...and, to see you.”


“Thank you,” Kagome muttered, motioning to the Popcorn. “But you really didn’t have too...”


“Indeed I did. I sincerely apologize for getting you into trouble lately. My business with Potter has nothing to do with you, and you were right. It was rude of me to lambast your new...friends...in your presence.”


“Well, just so long as you realize...” Kagome said, taking his apology gingerly. “It’s fine. Thank you, for having the courage to say ‘sorry.’ I know few others who would have the guts to do that.”


“Well, I do, and I mean it. And to prove it to you, I am going to further treat you to a drink!” Malfoy said, resolutely whipping his wand out and floating the four Popcorns before them, freeing his hand to grab Kagome’s.


“Ugh...no, thank you, anyway, Draco, I really mean it...but, I don’t drink. And my friends are waiting for me...” Kagome tried wrenching her had from his, but apparently Malfoy and Ron shared something in common when it came to steely grips. Only, Malfoy’s was a bit painful.


“But...can’t I be your friend, Kagome? I’ve felt so...so alone here. Nobody will even talk to me because of my house. They call it evil, do you know that? So, just because I was placed, whereupon I had no hand in the matter, I am what you would say...a victim of society. Shunned!” Malfoy’s face dramatically shadowed itself in a tragic-hero-like gloom. A gloom, for which, Kagome felt a sudden pang of pity.


“Oh, Draco...it’s alright. I’ll certainly be your friend! Those people don’t know what they’re talking about...well, someone very close to me once suffered the same thing you’re going through! So don’t keep it all bottled up inside. Don’t be afraid to let your feelings show–it takes a real man to cry! There, there...” Kagome gently patted him on the arm, tears nearly welling up in her own eyes in compassion for the distressed boy at her side.


“Th-then...you’ll come with me? Just for a little while?” Draco tried, tentatively sniffling.


“Well...” Kagome said, beginning to sniffle in earnest, herself. “I don’t know...”


“Please?” Draco looked at her, his icy eyes forming two round clouds in his sockets, threatening to downpour.


Kagome looked out at her friends. Hermione was perched on Ron’s lap in mute content (or exhausted resignation, more likely), and Harry was absorbed in the sky’s activity. Deciding that she was needed elsewhere, for just a few minutes, Kagome complied. “Alright. But only for a very short while–one drink! And it’ll be tea, thank you.”


“Ah, thank you, Kagome! I know just the place.” His concentration broke, and the Popcorns spilled to the ground behind them, forgotten. Draco gripped her hand with renewed vigor as he fairly dragged her down the street.


They had been brusquely walking for at least a good ten minutes, when Kagome began to rethink her decision. The crowds they passed grew thinner and thinner, until she and Draco were the only ones around. He turned a corner, and they began to walk brusquely down a dark road. Shivering in the abrupt chill that permeated the air, Kagome began to feel a dark sense of foreboding.


“Um, Draco, I think we’d better go back...I don’t like it here.” She said, now struggling to keep up and fighting for her hand back. “Draco, I’m serious–“


“Ah! Here it is.” Kagome looked up at a dimly lit shack that carried the faded, black letters on a plaque, reading; “ERZEBETH’S EDEN: Since 1560.” Not allowing for any complaint, Malfoy yanked a struggling Kagome into the dark, empty bar. Behind her, the doors clamped shut with a resounding “CLANG.”


“Draco! What is the matter...with...” Kagome’s voice trailed off, as she found herself unable to move. A sickeningly familiar stench permeated the air, and the wealth of purification powers in Kagome’s body seemed to increase her susceptibility to the paralyzing miasma that lay thick about her.


Collapsing, Kagome struggled to look up at Draco, who was now looking at her crumpling form in wonder. “So, that’s what happens...” Draco mused aloud, and moved to drag Kagome’s conscious, but immobile body into the back room.


Kagome used a little of her remaining strength to arch her head, leaning against her left arm. Her glazed eyes searched through the meager light, finally settling on a particular figure.


“Hello, Kikyou...”


Had she not already been paralyzed, Kagome would have fainted dead on the spot.




_____________________________________________ _____________________________________




::Gasp!:: Who can it be?! Well, it’s not Rita Skeeter, OR Urasue, I’ll tell you that. More updates to come! Thank you for reading! <333 Kapitan Nemo