InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Final Battle ❯ It's the Most Stressful Time of the Year ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
DISCLAIMER: They’re not mine.

RECAP: “As if I’d leave you alone with this mutt in such a strange place!” He said, stirring up little whirlwinds as he took off after the group, leading the way and following the red trail leftover by Harry’s wand before long.

They didn’t even notice that the rain had stopped.




Chapter 14



“So, that’s how it all came about. And now, we have to figure out how to close the portal before something bad comes through it.” Kagome sighed, handing the dried-off Kouga a cup of hot cocoa from inside Mr. A’s office.


“Well, it looks like it’s a little late for that, isn’t it?” Inu-Yasha spat, venomously glaring at the wolf prince.


Kouga returned the gesture with fire in his eyes. “Back off, ya nasty piece of sh–“


“Unfortunately, Dog-boy’s probably right.” Mr. A said, taking out a pack of cigarettes (bewitched to be odorless) and smashing them against the palm of his hand. “I doubt that this guy’s the first–or the last–youkai to come through the portal.”


“Shouldn’t we hear what Kouga’s found out? I mean, it’s been quite some time since the portal has been opened the first time. I figured that He-who–ah, I mean, V-Voldemort–has since destroyed Harry’s seal, but what has been happening in the Feudal Era since then? How is it that the demons have been reawakened?” Hermione asked, curiously eying the feral youkai before her.


“Yeah...and how do we know that if–Kouga, is it?–came through, he was the only one? Couldn’t there have been others? Like, bad ones? Ones that could hurt people?” Ron piped in his usual wary fashion.


“Never doubt my ability to tear you to pieces, human.” Kouga sneered, clicking his claws against the tabletop. Ron gulped.


“Kouga-kun, be nice. Now, how did you cross the portal?” Kagome asked.


Kouga sat up, grasping Kagome’s hands, and looked deeply into her eyes. “It’s the power of love, Kagome.”


Kagome chuckled awkwardly, her face becoming a dark crimson as the others looked, bearing varied expressions of incredulous amusement. Harry and Inu-Yasha, however, didn’t feel quite so entertained.


Before any blood could be shed, Kagome delicately wrenched her hands free and lightly slapped Kouga’s palms. “Now, none of that. I mean, how did you find the portal? How did you wake up? Didn’t you turn into a...wolf...once the Jewel was purified?”


Kouga scratched the back of his head. “So that’s what happened...” He seemed to sort his thoughts out for a brief few seconds. “Well, I guess it was a long time ago, right after we fought Naraku, when suddenly, my pack and I just up and reverted to our animal forms. We were still together, so it didn’t make much difference...but after a while, we started dying, like normal animals. I suppose that was when I realized, somehow, that things were different. Although, I can’t really make sense of so much...when you revert to your animal form, instinct begins to take over, and thoughts are minimal. So I remember living, and I remember dying, but I also remember living again...I just don’t know why. It’s like, we all had several lives, but they all blended in with each other. Everything always seemed to pick up where we left off, eventually continuing.”


“Reincarnation...” Kagome said softly, realization dawning on her face. Kouga continued.


“Until that day. We could smell it in the air, like the calm before a storm. There was a great tremble in the earth, and then, we were youkai once more. And it was just like the past had been a dream...I could remember exactly what I had been doing before reverting to my animal-form as if it were only five minutes, instead of decades ago. In fact, had we not been able to detect the age in the plants and stones we knew so well, we wouldn’t have believed that any time had passed.


“And then, I smelled it. Your blood, Kagome...and Naraku. I was confused, and mad as hell. Wasn’t he supposed to die? The day we all of us turned into wolves was the day I was going to take you back from the half-breed, and claim you as my mate. With Naraku defeated, and the jewel complete, you were free of your bond to that pathetic dog, and could come mother my pups.”


By this time, Inu-Yasha had had enough, and grabbed a furiously blushing Kagome around the torso behind his back. “Fat chance, Furball. Just ‘cause the jewel’s intact don’t mean it’s open-season on her ass.”


“Kouga, I’ve told you time and time again, I’m too young to have children...or pups...whatever. I have a life of my own, and as flattered as I am, you need to direct these feelings of yours to someone who will return them.” Kagome said gently, putting a steady, warm hand on Inu-Yasha’s shoulder.


Kouga looked past the hanyou, meeting Kagome’s soft, grey eyes. “Don’t worry, Kagome. I understand that this half-breed’s all you know right now, and he’s brainwashed you into thinking that way. Once I’ve defeated Naraku fully and completely, I’ll show you what a real youkai means when he pledges his love.”


“ALRIGHT, let’s move on. It’s bad enough having to work in a school where hormones are raging amongst teenage witches and wizards...throw a few demons in the mix, and I think I’ll have to retire.” Mr. A stamped his cigarette out on the tin ashtray at his desk, breathing out as a curl of smoke trickled out of the corner of his mouth. “Okay. We know that the seal’s been broken...sucks, but it’s not as if we weren’t expecting it. But now it’s time to get Dumbledore and find out what he thinks. We’re gonna have to move quickly, before Voldemort gathers up enough youkai to make an army.”


“What do you have in mind, Mr. A?” Harry asked, adjusting the cold compress on his head.


“I’m going to send out some of the Aurors’ best defenses and place them at the portal. For a device that massive, it would be impossible to stop it with some dinky seal again, so we’re just going to have to guard it from the demons with as many fighters as possible.”


“But–what about Vol, Voldemort? What if he comes back? He’s powerful enough to kill them all!” Hermione said, her pretty brow scrunching up with fret.


“Well, I’m not saying the plan is fool-proof. But it’ll have to suffice until Dumbledore exacts a direct route of action. And as for Voldemort, the Aurors are ready and willing to look danger in the eye–that’s what they’re trained for. Besides...Voldemort or no Voldemort, it’s not like I’m sending in students from the DADA class. These are highly-trained professionals.”


“Keh. Trained in what?” Inu-Yasha said skeptically. “Magic’s all well and good for a few youkai. But bring in a whole slew of higher grade demons, and I don’t care how many magicians you got by the portal. It’ll be a slaughterhouse.” He paced around, scratching his chin pensively. “You’ll need someone with a little more muscle to handle that.”


All eyes centered on the newest member of their group. Kouga looked up, his shoulders tensing at the sudden attention. “And just why should I help all you out?”


Kagome gave her best puppy-eyed pout in his direction. “Kouga, the more youkai that come through the portal, the better chance Naraku has at winning.”


Kouga moved uncomfortably. “Well, yeah, I guess that’s true.” He thought for a moment. “But I can’t make any promises about turning away a member of my pack. Where my wolves are concerned, they’re under my protection.” He sniffed. “And I’m not gonna have any weak human giving me orders. I call the shots.” He rose, muscles rippling in the dim lamplight. (When asked later, both Ginny and Hermione adamantly refused having had to grab their handkerchiefs to wipe up the drool that had drizzled down their chins.)


“Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I haven’t eaten. This era have any decent hunting grounds?” He asked, lazily flexing his sinewy arms.


“Better. We have the dining hall.” Ron said, his own stomach growling obnoxiously. “And I’m hungry like the wolf.”


(A collective groan resonated throughout the office, as the group all trailed out of the room for dinner.)



_______________________________________________ ______________________________________



“So that’s basically what’s goin’ down, Albus.” Mr. A said to the wise old face, peering through the flames of the lit fire in his office. “I have several Aurors standing watch at the portal, and every three hours, one comes by to give me an update. This Kouga guy stands guard as well, and although I don’t know much about him, I have a gut feeling he’s trustworthy. At least if it’s to thwart Voldemort.”


“Or please the priestess.” Professor Dumbledore said, the ash of his brow wrinkling pensively. “I just hope he doesn’t get too in the mood for a midnight snack, or else he’ll be staving off the demons solo.”


“Apparently, it’s not the right season for human flesh. He says he prefers the spring; right now, we’re too gamey.”


“So I’ve heard. Not that I’ve ever tried it myself, of course...when I said humanitarian, I meant...well, never mind. How are the children doing?”


Mr. A snorted. “You mean the seventeen-year-old’s preparing for what could be the greatest battle on Earth, and maybe even graduation?” Mr. A’s smile faded a little. “They’re doing...well. Surprisingly well...using spells and perfecting techniques most serious Aurors have trouble with. And they’re keepin’ up good spirits, too.”


“Yes, well...that group has been through a lot.”


“Especially Potter.” Mr. A sighed. “Geez...those kids...they’re great, but, they shouldn’t have to be, y’know? At their age...at any age...it’s just...”


“I find that when I concentrate too much on the steps I have just stumbled over, I end up falling down altogether.” Professor Dumbledore interrupted. “And at my age, falling is a luxury this sack of bones can ill afford.”


“At both our ages. I’m gettin’ old, here. This job’s making me old...I had it easier as an Auror at the DACB.” He sighed once more. “But I guess you gotta move with the times.”


“And these are dark times indeed. But as enjoyable as I find our little fireside chats, my back is cramped, Brunhilde is expecting me in the council room in a short while, so we better make this quick.” The flames flourished as Professor Dumbledore shifted his position. “Now, Voldemort’s out there, and it is my fervent suspicion that he has been accumulating a conglomerate of followers, both human and otherwise.”


“Yeah, the dementors were enough proof of that. You got any hunches as to where he plans to stage this battle?”


“Not much of one. My source says that Voldemort has given no hint as to where he will strike. But my guess is that he’ll split his army up.”


“Yeah. Yeah, you don’t go through all that trouble to build a group to sit in one place. He’s planning some serious damage.”


“Of that, I have no doubt. Now, have you told Miss Higurashi about the portal?”


“The seal, you mean?” Mr. A sighed. “As long as Voldemort’s around, using her blood to close up the well again will only draw things out...Voldemort’s out for her blood, and as long as she’s alive, he’ll stop at nothing to get to her. And there’s also the demons who’ve already come through–they’re gonna have to go back somehow.”


“I know. She needs to continue practicing her spiritual magic to keep herself protected. Until Voldemort makes his move, we’ll all have to do our best to prepare for him.” A rumble resonated through the fireplace. Dumbledore glanced up at Mr. A one last time in a silent fare-well, and his image instantly disintegrated into the log.


Mr. A flicked the scattered soot back into the hearth, and made a grab for his coat. “He’s planning some serious, widespread damage, isn’t he...”




______________________________________ __________________________________________




As the days grew longer and ever colder, studies for the restless seniors of Hogwarts became ever more taxing. The tension of mid-terms and the foreboding events that lurked beyond the corner greatly affected the group in training against Voldemort and his army, and patience was wearing thin around the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. None could say who was having the hardest time dealing with the current state of affairs, but it was clear some people were feeling the stress of the season a bit more than most.


Hermione, who had often maintained a healthful figure, had begun to drop weight, and her brown hair was bushier than ever, framing her face set with dark circles for eyes. One of Ron’s eyes bore a matching shade of navy and was swelled shut; the result of making one too many jokes about the overworked witch’s haggard appearance.


Ginny, too, was suffering with the stress of 6th year SATs–Sorcerers’ Arithmancy Tests. Her eyes, however, were constantly bugging out; a symptom of an addiction to No-Doze Joe, a drink with the same flavor of coffee, but the effects of caffeine considerably magnified so that the drinker remains awake and disturbingly alert for up to ten days straight. Ginny was going on four.


“Pass the salt, will you, Harry?” Ron asked, an unusual pallor making his freckles stick out like the pox.


“Ron, you’re a wizard. You should be able to perform a simple accio charm...For God’s sake, we learned that our first year.” Hermione snapped, not sparing him a glance from her 5 kg study guide.


Ron rolled his eye, grabbing at the salt in Harry’s hand. “Looks like she’s decided to match her personality with her looks today...”


Hermione tensed, but continued reading, muttering under her breath.


Harry shivered, as the air took on a sudden chill. “SO, Ginny...when’s your SAT scheduled for?” Ginny whipped her head around.


“19:15intheupperwesttowerFridaytheseventeenthof Decemberrequiredmaterialsofthestudentsaretwonumberthirteenquillsblackinkwil lbeprovidedlatearrivalswillnotbeadmittedsogetthereontimeorfacethehorrific&# 8211;“


“Woah, woooah, slow down there!” Harry said, exchanging startled glances with Kagome. “Ginny, are you sure you’re not taking too much of that study aide?”


“Imostcertainlyamnot. Thelabelsaystwosipsasneeded.” Ginny whipped out a brightly decorated thermos and shoved it under Harry’s nose. Harry looked at the label, then opened the top.


He shook the thermos, eyebrows raised. “Ginny...this is almost empty! How often have you been drinking this? It says it’s supposed to keep you normal, not set you off like a hamster on speed!”


Ginny grabbed the thermos out of Harry’s hands. “Itsaidclearlytotake‘asneeded,’andwithalltheseexamsanddem onsandthedarklordI’vebeenneedingitabitmorethantheaveragepersonifthat& #8217;sperfectlyacceptabletoyouofcourse!”


Harry stared at her, blinked, then shook his head. “Whatever you say, Gins. But I think you might want to check out a 12-Step Program, or something...I think you’re developing a problem.”


“TheonlyproblemsIhavearewithexamsandthe DarkLordandtheDemons...andyoutooifyoudon’tgetoffmyback! YOU’REtheonewiththeproblem! You’renotthebossofme! Iamnotdevelopinganydependencyproblems!!!” On that note, Ginny saw her cue for a dramatic exit, and wheeled around, her auburn hair flipping pertly as she quickly downed the last of her No-Doze Joe.


“Well, at least she’s on the first step...Denial’s a pretty good start. A little far away, maybe...” Ron chortled lamely as he bit into his eggs. Suddenly, he sputtered, spraying yellow fragments all over Hermione’s book. “Ugh! That’s sugar!” He wiped his mouth. “Hermione! I knew you were muttering something...that’s gross!”


Hermione’s eyes flashed, as she brushed her book off hastily. “Gross? Gross?! You’re the one who just spewed bits of chicken embryo all over my textbook! Honestly, Ron...if you’d only spend as much time studying as you do stuffing your face–“


“–or emptying it,” Harry added, before quickly clamming up at identical glares being thrown his way.
“Well, excuse me! Of course, if I took your advice, I might end up looking as old and boney as you!” Ron spat, taking a napkin and rubbing his tongue with it.


What did you just–?! Ooh, you....!” Hermione whipped out her wand, and a bright light emanated from Ron’s face. Hermione smirked humorlessly. “THERE. That ought to teach you to comment on a girl’s looks when she’s under a lot of stress!” And with that, Hermione grabbed her small library and made her way back to the Gryffindor common room.


Ron shook his head. “...Women. Huh, between my mother, my sister, and Hermione, Harry, I think I’m cursed.”


Harry bit his tongue, as if desperately trying to suppress a chuckle. “Um...Ron? It looks like cranky females aren’t the only things you’re cursed with.”


Ron frowned. “What?” Grabbing a silver goblet from the table, he peered into it to examine his reflection, which seemed to have aged a good seventy years. His once fire-engine-red hair had thinned and dimmed to a snow-white, and his skin sagged on his face, revealing gaunt cheekbones and liver spots. The fur of his bushy eyebrows nearly hindered his vision, and his wrinkles made him look like a photograph of him had been crumpled several times over. “....Whaaaat?! What the hell did she–oooh! I’m gonna get her...see if I don’t!” And, following suit of both his sister and the object of his infection, Ron stormed off out of the Dining Hall.


“Just try not to brake a hip, Grandpa!” Harry called cheekily. He looked around at the table, and sighed.
“I wonder where Kagome is...”


“Inu-Yasha, I told you why over and over again! Now back off, or you’ll make me say it!” The raised voice that suddenly cut through the air, accompanied by the scent of lilac immediately answered Harry’s question.


“Look, bitch, I don’t see why you gotta study even more than usual, especially on something so stupid!”

Through the window in the wall of the Dining Hall, Harry watched with interest as Kagome stomped through the courtyard, a disguised, frowning hanyou on her heels. The students had long since dismissed the mysteriously late entry of a Japanese wizard who seemed to know Kagome a little too well, and the cacophonous conversing between the two had become a ritual event.


Kagome whipped around in his face. “Stupid? Stupid?! You’re the only thing that’s stupid around here if you hate the idea of my wanting to protect myself the best I can is–“


“Bullshit, you needing to protect yourself. That’s my job! You never trust me enough until you actually get your ass in danger and I have to be the conquering hero, bailing you out all the time!”


“Well, maybe this time, I want to learn how to take care of myself!


“Feh. You couldn’t take care of yourself in a protective bubble. You’re too emotional, you do dumb things and always attract danger, and your archery skills still don’t amount to half of Kik...y...ou’s...” The wind in Inu-Yasha’s sails disappeared as quickly as air from a deflating balloon, as he trailed off, looking at the sudden fire that blazed in the Miko’s cerulean eyes. “Uh...Kagome, I didn’t really...mean–“


OSUWARI!!!” Inu-Yasha face-planted into the snow-covered flower garden, sputtering and seething.


Kagome wasted no time in bolting back into the building, hoping to dash into an empty classroom where she could practice her sutras in peace. Harry quickly followed suit.


“Kagome, wait!” The dark-haired girl stopped short, turning around at the panting wizard. Harry slowed to a stop at her side. “Geez, you run fast.”


She smiled. “That’s what being chased by panther demons’ll do to ya.”


Harry grinned, rolling his eyes. “Mind if I join you?” Kagome shook her head, and they began walking down the hallway. Harry looked at her curiously. “You off to practice your Miko-magic?”


Kagome nodded. “Yeah...I wanted to hurry, and find somewhere where I wouldn’t be found by Inu-Yasha.”


He snorted. “Can’t he sniff you out?”


“Probably.” She sighed. “It’s just...he doesn’t seem to understand. I trust him, I trust him completely. He’s not the problem. It’s the whole thing...this is the future! And it’s even different from the future he’s used to. The humans here are so different, forget guns! Magic? How’s Inu-Yasha supposed to prepare himself for that?”


Harry shrugged reluctantly. “Well...he has been watching us with our spells. I think he’s beginning to get a decent grasp on what he’s up against.”


“But, what if decent isn’t enough? How can decent be enough with the Killing Curse around? It just seems that...there’s so much more of a threat now, with Naraku...I mean Voldemort...Nort, whatever his name is.”


Harry snickered, and then sighed. “Hey...I know your fears are real, and you’re not alone.” ‘Of course, if dog-boy happens to somehow get zapped into another time zone, I don’t think I’d complain too much...’ “I’m here for you, and Ron, and Hermione, and Ginny...”


Kagome stopped. “Thank you, Harry.” She smiled, a real, genuine, breathtaking smile, that lit up her face and made her blue eyes shimmer with enough dazzling brilliance, it almost knocked Harry over. He breathed, and it took effort. “You all have been so kind to Inu-Yasha and me...and I know we can be a pretty high-maintenance pair, so...you have my sincere gratitude.”


Harry blinked, licking his suddenly dry lips. “Uh...” ‘Come on, Harry! Don’t sound like a complete jerk!’ “Er, no problem.”


Kagome smiled again, giggling softly. ‘That smile...’ Harry stared at her as she began to walk away, the warmth and brilliance that wrapped around him in an indescribably comfortable blanket slipping away with each step she took. He couldn’t let her go.


“Kagome, wait!” She paused, turning at him, question shaping her expressive features. Harry gulped, and strode over to her, taking her hands in his.


“You’re...you’re...never. Never high-maintenance. You’re not the one who should be grateful, I’m grateful. Ah, that is to say, the moment you walked onto the train, and my scar...you...I...I knew, that, you were, that I’d–“


“Harry, slow down! You’re not making any sense.” Kagome said, eyebrows raised.


“Nothing makes sense...” Harry took a deep breath. “Look. I know your heart belongs to Inu-Yasha, but I...I am in...”


Suddenly, Mr. A whipped around the corner, running at the two. “HARRY! KAGOME! YOU NEED TO GET INTO MY OFFICE THIS INSTANT!” Kagome and Harry turned around, a matching set of startled glances on both of their faces. “An Auror just returned with, badly injured! Several demons have attacked on both sides of the portal, and more are coming through...I need to find Inu-Yasha! Get to my office, now! This school is in a lock-down!” And with that, Mr. A tore through the hallways, away from the Miko and Wizard.


Harry tightened his grip on Kagome’s hands, as they ran through the hallways, and pushed past masses of students. They finally broke into Mr. A’s office, the safest place to be at the moment, with several spells and protective bindings within the walls.


They panted, trying to catch their breath, hands still interlocked. Kagome looked down, noticing this, and tried to pull her hand away in embarrassment.


Only, Harry wouldn’t let go.


“Kagome, I’m in love with you!”


And before she knew it, Kagome was being kissed.





______________________________________ _____________________________________________
Woo! That was a doozy. Yeah, I’m thinking I might as well get this slow-moving fic in gear, so I hope a little bit of action encourages all you wonderfully faithful readers to continue reading! Thank you! OH–and P.S.; IY/Kag fans, please don’t fret. Read on!