InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Collecting Memories ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Collecting Memories

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

"Kagome-sama?"

The miko looked at the small girl tugging at her hand with a smile. "Yes, Rin?"

"Rin is a little sad. The flowers that you gave her are dying now, and I don't want to let them go. Is there some way to keep them?"

Kagome's eyes softened sympathetically, and she nodded. "There sure is, Rin. Let me look through my bag, and find what I need - you go ask Sesshoumaru-sama if it is okay if you have it, alright?" Her smile widened as the girl nodded almost frantically and she hurried over to where the big daiyoukai was seated.

Shaking her head, she chuckled, and digging through her bag, she quickly found what she was looking for. Pulling it out, she almost fell over when she looked up to find Sesshoumaru standing above her, Rin holding tightly to one hand.

"Ah! Sesshoumaru-sama, you startled me." She put her hand over her heart for a minute as its racing slowed, then she stood, holding a small, yet bulky object in her hand.

Rin and Sesshoumaru both looked at it curiously, and Kagome almost laughed at the sight of them wearing nearly identical expressions.

One youkai, and one ningen - different, and yet... so alike - in some things, at least.

Holding it out, she nodded towards Rin, motioning for her to stand close to her, then opened the object up.

It looked like one of those 'books' that the miko was always lugging around, to Sesshoumaru, but the inside had very little writing, and instead clear sleeves of some material, holding dead flowers inside.

He frowned, confused. Who keeps dead flowers?

Kagome chuckled at the look. "It's called a scrapbook. It's used to store things that we want to keep - things that hold particular memories for us." Showing Rin the first page, the little girl smiled happily at the small purplish-blue flower that lay inside the sleeve.

"That flower is called a forget-me-not, and it stands for memories - remembrance. I would like you to have this, Rin, that way, you can keep all the flowers that you love with you - and maybe, years down the road, you can open this book and remember this day - and all the others that you spent with Sesshoumaru-sama by looking at the flowers that you put in here. It's like... collecting memories."

Rin's eyes were wide as she stared at the book, looking almost afraid to touch it, but as Kagome held it out to her, she flicked a quick, pleading look at her Lord, and he nodded. With a happy smile, she took the book, and asked, "Kagome-sama? Will you show Rin how to put the flowers inside?"

"Sure I will, Rin. It's really easy. Why don't you bring me your other flowers, and we'll press them into the book right away."

Rin nodded excitedly, running towards Ah-Uhn, and Kagome stood up, to find Sesshoumaru looking at her quizzically.

Tilting her head to the side, she stared right back at him. "Yes?"

"What use is something of this nature?"

Kagome shook her head and chuckled. For such an intelligent being, he could sure be clueless.

"Tell me, Sesshoumaru-sama, when you look back on your life, what will you remember? Will you remember the flowers along the way - or only the death you dealt?"

At that moment, Rin came running back, and he stared after the miko as she led the little girl away.

What will I remember?

Forget-me-nots pressed into a book... or blood spilled on the ground?

---oOo---

A/N: Don't worry, Rin will become rather active in pushing the two together after a while. She's a smart girl - and she'll soon notice how her Lord is becoming fascinated with Kagome... and the way she thinks.

Amber