InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Conquest ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Conquest

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome watched Sesshoumaru as he sat alone on the hill beneath Mushin's temple, and wondered what he seemed so deep in thought about - and why it felt as though he were suffering from a case of melancholy.

That just wasn't something that she would have ever imagined the daiyoukai would be susceptible to... but then again, she was slowly coming to realize that, unlike common perceptions of him stated, he wasn't emotionless, or cold.

He just kept himself under very tight control - he didn't want anyone to be able to use his emotions to control him, and he kept his own counsel - in pretty much everything... including emotions.

Glancing surreptitiously around, she looked to see if she could find Inuyasha - she really hoped he'd gone off on his own to sulk, so that he wouldn't notice what she was about to do.

She didn't see him anywhere, and Sango and Miroku were busy with Mushin, with the children playing down below Sesshomaru's position, it looked like she had a free pass, so she set aside her inhibitions, and went and sat down next to the stoic Lord.

Bending her knees into her chest, she folded her hands casually over them, looking down on the kids, she said, "You seem preoccupied today, Sesshoumaru-sama. Are you perhaps thinking of that meeting with Kikyou?"

He flicked a glance at her from the corner of one eye. "No, miko. There is nothing to think about in that situation. The undead priestess lied - for what reason, only time will tell - although I think it has much to do with you." He considered his words carefully for a moment, wondering what her reaction would be.

"She hates you - because you are what she is not."

Kagome thought about that for a few minutes, then nodded. "I know. I'm alive, and she isn't. It hardly seems fair, does it?" She idly picked a blade of grass, twirling it in her fingers.

"Life is not fair, miko, and you know this as well as I. If it were fair, I would have had Tessaiga."

Kagome glanced at him, brow cocked. "Why do you want the fang so badly, Sesshoumaru-sama? Aren't you its equal - without the need for a blade?"

Sesshoumaru stiffened at that. "My path is written, miko, I search for Conquest and to battle those that are worthy. Tessaiga should have been mine - it would have made me even more powerful than I am now."

Kagome chuckled, then reached over to where she'd dumped her bag, riffling through it until she found her flower guide. Flipping through it, she said, "See, that's where you're wrong, Sesshoumaru-sama. Tessaiga can kill. So what?"

She didn't react to the low growl that came from him, continuing on without a pause.

"Anything can kill if used in the right way... so that isn't so special. But Tensaiga? With it, you have been given a taste of the power of the kami. You can kill, even I can take a life if necessary - but who else in the world can restore a life? Only you. You hold power over life and death, Sesshoumaru-sama... making you the most powerful being on this earth - without the need for Tessaiga."

She held open her book and showed it to him, watching as he looked at the picture and then read about the flower.

Nasturtium. Flower of Conquest, of Victory in Battle.

Perhaps I will have many of these flowers planted at my home - as a symbol, he thought.

Kagome sighed when he looked at her, a new light in his eyes. "You can give, and you can take... it's up to you to have the wisdom to choose which is an appropriate action at what time. It's a great responsibility - to be a judge of life and death, is it not?" she asked, tilting her head in curiosity, wondering if he would accept her reasoning.

Sesshoumaru was astounded by her words - and wondering why he'd never seen it for himself. For she was correct... who else in the world had the power to grant a life?

No one.

Perhaps the path to Supreme Conquest was tucked away at my side all along. And if I can give life, and take it away, then really... what is there left for me to prove?

Nothing.

How ironic that the ability to wield Tensaiga needs compassion... and that it is the one thing I needed to become stronger than all others.

Kagome watched him carefully, then with a small smile, quietly got up, prepared to leave him to his thoughts.

She was stopped by his voice.

"You have wisdom, and heart, priestess... I begin to see what it is that draws so many to you. I will... consider your words." With that, he stood and walked away, leaving Kagome once again shocked behind him.

He always manages to stun me... she thought, a bright smile washing over her face.

Up at the top of the hill, golden eyes watched the interaction between the two, and the smile on the woman's face, with hot jealousy - and fear.

Deep in the heart of the hanyou hatred took root and blossomed.

---oOo---

A/N: Yes, I know, Rin wasn't in the last couple chapters, really, but hey - not everything can rely on just her, ya know. But don't worry, there will still be more Rin. There will always be more Rin.

I love Rin.

Amber