InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Believe Me ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Believe Me

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome grinned down at the flowers in her hand, very pleased with them, and the reason she had them.

A few days before, Miroku had pulled her aside, and spilled his heart to her, asking for her help in obtaining that heart's desire, and she had been thrilled to do so. She knew just what to get, but she had to get them back in her time, so she'd had to wait until she could get back through the well.

It seemed that Rin's little speech the day she'd talked about fickleness had hit home with the monk, and he'd been thinking hard about things since that day.

The decisions he'd made pleased Kagome to no end.

With a huge smile, she hurried away from the well, knowing that she'd returned sooner than she'd said, and that her larger-than-life protector would likely be angry with her for placing herself in danger, coming back when he wasn't there to make sure that she was unharmed.

But she just couldn't wait, she had to get back and give the flowers to Miroku - so he could pull her sister aside and speak his piece to her.

I've got to thank Rin, too - after I give him the flowers... it's all because of her! Oh.. I can't believe after all this time, he's finally going to tell her how he feels...

She reached the outskirts of the village quickly, and Rin spotted her as soon as she cleared the trees, running over to her with excitement.

"Kagome-sama! What are the flowers for? They are very pretty!"

Kagome knelt down and grinned at the tiny child. "These flowers are for Miroku-sama to give to Sango-sama, Rin - he took your words about fickleness that day to heart, and now he wants to fix his mistakes."

Rin clapped her hands and grinned back at Kagome. "Rin is very glad about that, Kagome-sama. It will be nice to see Miroku-sama and Sango-sama happy, don't you think?"

"Hai, Rin - it will. Do you want to go with me to give Miroku the flowers?"

Rin nodded, but then looked up at Kagome with a teasing expression. "Those stand for 'believe me', ne, Kagome-sama?" When Kagome nodded questioningly, Rin laughed. "Then maybe you should keep one of those flowers to give to Sesshoumaru-sama - for when he speaks to you about coming back early, and you promise not to do it again."

Kagome looked at the little girl, astonished, for a moment - then laughed rather sheepishly. "Possibly I should, Rin," she giggled. "He will not be happy with me, will he?" she finished ruefully.

"No, little miko, this Sesshoumaru will not be happy with you."

Kagome stiffened, Darn it, she thought, he did it again, always sneaking up behind me, and Rin winked at her as Sesshoumaru gestured for her to wait ahead. She nodded and took off, skipping merrily away.

With a blush, Kagome stood, but kept her gaze on the ground, studying it as if her life depended on it, scuffing at the dirt with one shoe, and Sesshoumaru almost laughed at her - she looked like a naughty child just caught sneaking food. Again he was reminded of Rin... the miko really could be her mother for all anyone would think, they were so alike sometimes.

Still.

"Why?"

"Well, uhm... I had to give something to Miroku, and I didn't want them to start to die or anything." She showed him the flowers she was holding.

"And these flowers are more important than your safety?"

"Well, no, but... what Miroku wants them for was worth a bit of danger, I thought. Anyway, I'm okay, so..."

Sesshoumaru sighed internally as he looked at her, her eyes coming up to meet his so earnestly. It was irritating, really, that he could not resist that look - from her or Rin.

"Go. Give the monk his flowers - but do not do this again, miko. The next time I will not be so lenient."

Kagome grinned up at him, then thrust one of the flowers into his hand. "I promise, Sesshoumaru-sama... I won't do it again! Thank you!" she sang out as she darted off, heading for Rin, and he watched, bemused, as the two disappeared into the village.

He glanced down at the flower in his hand.

Believe me, hmm? We will see, little miko. For most anything else, I would have no qualms, but when it comes to others - you always place yourself in danger for those you care about, so that is a promise I do not think you can keep.

I will just have to be more vigilant,
he decided.

Kagome and Rin finally made it to Kaede's hut, and Kagome stayed outside, hiding around the back, while Rin went in and got Miroku's attention, leading him to the older girl, and the flowers she held.

Miroku smiled gratefully, bowing to both girls. "This monk thanks both of you for this, Rin for her wise words, and Kagome for the flowers to help me say what I should have said a long time ago."

Both girls grinned back at him, then giggled, before heading back to the front of the hut. Kagome turned her head and looked at him over her shoulder. "Just wait right there, and I'll send Sango out. Don't you dare mess this up!"

With that, the two walked into the little hut, and Kagome, true to her word, had Sango heading out the door before she'd even set her bag down.

With a smile, she watched her friend leave... and waited excitedly for her to come back, knowing that things would definitely be changed when she did.

At least this time, the change will be for the better. Not like what happened with Inuyasha...

Although...

In a way, I guess that turned out for the better, too. At least now I
know I'm safe.

She laughed a little, then.

I hope he's not too upset with me, though. Maybe I should have given him another red tulip.

Believe me... I will be more careful, Sesshoumaru, I promise.

---oOo---

A/N: Thought a little break from the angst of the last several chapters might be nice.

Amber