InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ For Mother ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

For Mother

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome watched Rin and Shippo talking to Sesshoumaru in low tones suspiciously. She just knew something was up, but when she looked at Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha, they shrugged - they didn't know what was going on, either.

It had been over a week since the attack by Naraku, and everyone was healed and well - and they were back on the road again.

Kagome sighed, somewhat wearily. Their supplies were running low, and so they were on a long loop back to Kaede's village - and the well. Since Naraku's attack, they'd all agreed that he was becoming desperate, and decided to push on, hoping to catch him off-guard.

Because of that, she would only be going home overnight - just to gain supplies, and sleep - then it was back to the hunt.

Sometimes, she wondered if they'd ever finish this insane quest.

With a sigh, she looked back up again, only to find Rin and Shippo giggling, and a daiyoukai staring at her contemplatively, before nodding down at the two children.

She smiled softly at that.

He's so gentle with them... he'll make a good father someday.

And then she blushed - deeply.

Putting her hands to her cheeks, she stared hard at the ground. Oh my gods, what am I thinking?!

Sesshoumaru looked back up just then, and caught the reaction - and an amused, curious look flashed quickly through his eyes.

I wonder what thought caused her to look that way...

With an internal chuckle, he shook his head and continued walking, silver hair swirling around him and swaying gently - keeping the miko behind him mesmerized.

She walked that way all day, too, barely noticing anything going on around her.

Later on that evening, after dinner had been finished, and cleaned up from, they all relaxed around the fire, and Rin and Shippo both sidled up to Kagome, glancing at her and giggling.

She smiled at them, noticing that they each held a flower - and her brow furrowed slightly as she tried to remember what that flower was - and what it meant.

Rin was the first to speak.

"Here, Kagome-sama... this is a day lily. It stands for mothers." The little girl blushed, leaving a deep pink color across her cheeks that was just adorable - and Kagome melted all over the place.

The little girl glanced at Shippo, then at Sesshoumaru, who nodded at her encouragingly, as the kit also handed Kagome the flower in his hand.

"Sesshoumaru-sama helped us get this flower... and Shippo and this Rin wondered... would you be our mother?" She had a fearful, yet somehow hopeful look in her eyes, as did Shippo, and Kagome melted even further.

Do they really think I would say no?

She caught Sesshoumaru's eye, then, and noted his intensity...

He's very interested in my answer... I wonder why?

Shaking that thought away for later perusal, she looked back at the two children standing in front of her, and setting aside the flowers, held open her arms. They both jumped into her lap immediately, hugging to her as only children can.

"Are you two sure that this is what you want? You really want me to be your mother?"

"Well... Rin thinks that you already act like a mother," she said, and Shippo nodded.

"Yeah, Rin's right, K'gome. So... can we?"

She looked up over their heads at Sesshoumaru helplessly. "Um... Sesshoumaru-sama? Is it okay with you?"

"I would not have assisted them in gaining the flowers if it were not, miko. And the kit is correct, after all, you already act as a mother to them both - they will only be calling it as it is if you allow this."

She took in his calm expression, but also the oddly tense set of his shoulders that gave the lie to his casual tone of voice - her answer was very important to him, for some reason.

"Well," she sighed, smiling down at the two children taking up her lap, 'I would be honored if you two called me mother. I love the both of you like I am, anyway, Sesshoumaru-sama is right about that."

The tiny human child, and the even tinier kitsune child squealed happily, throwing themselves against her even harder, knocking them all over in a joyous heap, and Kagome giggled and laughed right along with them as the rest of the camp looked on with smiles.

As the children calmed down, Kagome finally managed to sit up, and she glanced quickly over at Sesshoumaru.

A tiny smile lit one corner of his mobile mouth - and she knew he was pleased with her answer to the children.

I was right, she mused, he will make a most excellent father...

Someday.

And then she blushed again.

Maybe...

She left that thought alone with a bright smile.

Thoughts like that were for a later time.

---oOo---

A/N: oOoOo I wonder what Kagome was thinking about at the end there...

Amber