InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Resignation and Goodbye ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Resignation and Goodbye

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome sat slumped on the edge of the battlefield, tired and despairing. Naraku was gone, yes, but as wonderful as that was, it didn't give any closure to her - because once the evil spider realized he was going to die, he shattered the jewel once again and scattered it to the four corners of the lands.

Which meant that her struggling to continue with school had all been for nothing - there was no way she could even think about college while trying to shard hunt - all over again.

It was time to go home and talk to her mother.

Apparently, her destiny lay here, in the far distant past, and it was becoming more and more evident as things continually conspired to keep her here.

And then another thought caught her attention.

While she and Inuyasha were obligated to once again retrieve all the jewel shards...

The others were not.

By the 'others', she really meant Sesshoumaru.

What will happen now? He was here to defeat Naraku, and now that's done... I'm sure he has other things to do.

I guess... nothing more will ever have the chance to happen between us. So much for hope.

With a weary sigh, she stood up and moved towards the others, wanting to check on the children to make sure that they were all right. The battle had been long, and while they had been protected by her barrier, she had still worried.

Sesshoumaru was also heading for the barrier that held the children, and he noticed immediately that something was very wrong with Kagome - her aura was distressed... she seemed sad, and resignation laced heavily through her scent.

He resolved to pull her away as soon as the children were seen to, and they had moved a bit away from the battlefield to set up camp.

After all, he could not protect her properly if he did not know what was bothering her.

When he reached the group, Kagome had already dropped the barrier and it was obvious that the children were fine - they were hanging onto her like they'd never let her go again, and Sesshoumaru concluded with amusement that they probably wouldn't if they had any choice in the matter.

"Come, miko, we will set up camp - so that we may all rest."

Kagome nodded but didn't say anything, her aura still saddened, though she attempted to hide it for the children's sake.

When they reached the clearing that Sesshoumaru lead them to, Kagome had camp set up in short order, and once the children had settled down for the evening and dinner had been eaten, she excused herself and went off to find a little privacy.

Sango and Miroku looked at each other, then Inuyasha, and Sango asked, "Does anyone know why Kagome is so sad? I mean, I know that she's probably upset about the jewel and all, but..."

Sesshoumaru stood from his spot against a tree. "I will go speak to her - I have had intentions of doing so since the battle ended and I noted her fraying emotional state."

No one said a word as he walked into the trees, moving silently and following her scent.

Kagome was laying in a small meadow, staring up at the night sky quietly, and she didn't react when his youki washed over her.

"What is it that concerns you, miko?"

She glanced over at him, watching him watch the heavens.

Cyclamen, she thought idly, it would work well here.

Resignation and Goodbye.

She sighed.

I've resigned myself to saying goodbye when he leaves but... it hurts.

I... just hadn't expected how much.

"So... when are you planning on leaving?" She acted as though she hadn't heard his question, instead asking one of her own, and he shot her a look from beneath lowered lids.

"I was not aware that I was - leaving, that is. Why would you think that?"

"Well, you joined us so that we could destroy Naraku - and now that's done... so I figured you'd be heading home now."

And suddenly, he understood.

"I am your protector, miko - and I am well aware that you have to once again search for the shards. I have no intentions of leaving you to this task alone."

He glanced over at her as she opened her mouth to speak, somehow just knowing what she was going to say.

"Do not, Kagome," he said warningly. "Inuyasha is no longer your protector - and as long as I am counted among the living, he will not be in that position again. You are mine to protect."

Kagome sighed deeply as a weight fell from her shoulders, and Sesshoumaru had to admit to himself that he was pleased that she didn't want to be separated from him.

That she was so bothered by that thought brings me pleasure - it is good to know that I am that important to her, because...

She is that important to me.

---oOo---

A/N: So, now she knows that he's sticking around - he isn't gonna run off and leave her, like a certain other person who shall remain nameless did. Yay! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Amber










< br>