InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Let's Take a Chance ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Let's Take a Chance

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru stared at the flower in his hands, and once again considered the course of action he was about to take. He had to decide now if he could live with the consequences of said actions - because from here on out, if he later pulled back, he could potentially severely harm the little miko - and that was not acceptable.

Can I live with the undeniable fact of her humanity - and that her life will not match mine? Can I let go of my pride enough to turn my back on beliefs that I have held all my life?

Or... on the other hand, can I live with letting her go?

And that was the real question.

Because when it came down to it, he knew already that it would be no different for him to let go of her now, as it would to be with her and lose her later.

Either way, now, or later on, she was going to be taken from him. The only question left was how. Would it be by his own choice - or by death?

Unless...

His crafty mind looked at the problem of mortality from every angle, and with a thoughtful expression on his face, he twitched the hilt of Tensaiga with his thumb.

Perhaps I need not lose her, after all. It is obvious that father found one way to conquer death - can I not find another? Am I less than he?

No. I will seek out Bokuseno - because I do not wish to lose the miko - either to time, or to death. And maybe... Myouga as well. While he is a coward, he is knowledgeable.

He once again glanced at the flower he held, a certain realization coming to him, then. It seems that my decision is made... as I have already decided to look for ways to keep her with me.

He decided than and there that, while looking for shards, he would steer the group in the direction of the ancient tree youkai - and send out a summons for the old flea, as well.

With his decisions made and one, last, lingering look at the white violet in his hand, the daiyoukai turned on his heel and headed back to the groups encampment, once more settling his usual calm expression back on his features as he tucked the flower carefully into his haori.

Later on that same evening, after dinner had been eaten, and the children put down to sleep, Sesshoumaru stood up from his spot against a boulder at the edge of camp, and moved over to stand before Kagome.

"Miko."

When she looked up at him, a rather uncertain, almost questioning smile crossing her face, he held out a hand to her and, with a very formal air, asked, "Will you accompany this one for a walk, my Lady?"

Everyone in the clearing stopped talking at that point, in fact, they almost stopped breathing waiting for her answer.

She blushed, and nodded, allowing him to take her hand and pull her to her feet. Once she was up, he held out his arm, and she took it, lashes sweeping across her cheeks as her eyes lowered to the ground shyly.

He led her silently into the forest, and they disappeared beneath the ancient trees without another word being spoken.

Once they were gone, Sango looked wide-eyed at Miroku, then at Inuyasha. "Wow. What was all that about?"

Inuyasha stood, a tight, controlled look in his eyes, and said, "I'll be back later." With that, he leapt off into the trees, not looking back once.

Miroku followed his friend with his eyes until he disappeared from view.

If only you had seen before what you see now... you wouldn't be left hurting, my friend.

Kagome was extremely curious about Sesshoumaru's reasons for pulling her away from camp, but was also just pleased to spend some time with him. She breathed in deeply, enjoying the slight breeze and the fresh air, and looked up with a smile at the stars.

Finally, he seemed to find what he was looking for in a small overlook that stood high above the lands around, giving a majestic view of the surrounding areas, bathed in starlight and moonlight as they were, and leading her forward to the very edge, he helped her seat herself, then sat down beside her.

He was silent for a time, seemingly content to stare at the magnificent view, but after a while, he spoke.

"You, miko, have given this one much to think on since we began traveling together, and no more so than lately." He flicked a quick, golden glance at her from the corner of his eye. "Do you recall what this Sesshoumaru said to you about hope?"

Kagome frowned slightly as she searched her memory, and he knew she did when a pretty flush seeped into her cheeks. "Yes... how could I forget?" she asked softly, keeping her gaze trained on the view before her.

She looked down, however, when she felt his hand brush against her arm... and she gasped as she saw what lay in his hand as he offered it to her without a word being spoken, her hand flying up to cover her mouth.

Oh... white violet! Let's take a chance...

"This one would ask permission to court you, Kagome." He took her chin in his hand and captured her gaze as he waited for her to speak.

"Court me? What...?"

"It is a formal relationship - what comes before a marriage."

At that, her eyes went unfocused, and she gasped, then stuttered, not knowing what to even say. Of all things in the world, she'd never expected this.

He quirked a brow, an amused light filtering into his eyes, and said, "Breathe, miko. Then speak."

She did that, breathing in deeply several times, and then she nodded as he let go of her chin. "I never thought to ever hear something like that from you, Sesshoumaru-sama," she said, lowering her eyes dazedly. Then she frowned sadly. "But... I'm not really good enough for you."

"Do you not think that is something for me to decide?" he asked. "Now is not the time for modesty, miko. This one would like an honest answer."

Kagome sighed, then, after a moment, she chuckled. "I suppose you're right." Looking down at her nervously twisting hands, she nodded. "H-hai, Sesshoumaru-sama. I would be... honored to be courted by you."

He reached over and tucked the flower into her hair behind her ear, and once again lifted her chin with a finger, holding her gaze steadily, weighingly.

And then he kissed her, and this time, unlike the first, it really wasn't chaste.

It was passionate, and overflowing with affection.

Perfect.

---oOo---

A/N: Because of the rating of this story, i.e. 'T' for teen, I didn't feel it was really appropriate to go into details about the kiss. I may, at some future point, change the rating, but until then, everyone's going to have to use their imaginations for this part of it.

Amber