InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Happy Life ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Happy Life

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome was in the middle of a good gossip with Sango as they walked along the dusty road, when she stopped mid-sentence, an odd look crossing her face. "Sesshoumaru-sama... there are several shards a few miles ahead - but they're heavily tainted, and moving around quite a bit. I think it might be Kagura."

He nodded, but didn't say anything, and the pack proved once again why they were so good at what they did, quickly moving to their faster forms of travel and readying their weapons within moments of Kagome's warning.

Sesshoumaru didn't even hesitate, taking hold of Kagome and pulling her with him onto his youki cloud as Jaken climbed onto Ah-Uhn behind Rin, clutching his staff protectively to his chest.

They could tell before they even arrived that Kagura was battling someone, and once they reached the scene, they all stopped, astonished.

There, standing in a field of peonies, fighting Kagura off while holding two shards, was Kanna, the void child. It was obvious that they were fighting in the remains of the gardens of what was once a great shiro, as once magnificent walls were now tumbled and ruined - but the flowers had survived.

Peony... if I remember right, it stands for 'happy life'. How ironic - when neither of those two has ever had one, Kagome thought.

They all watched the battle for a few seconds before Kagura realized they were there, and with a final blast of wind that Kanna easily avoided, she took off, not having the wherewithal to fight the powerful group, as well as Kanna.

Not to mention Sesshoumaru's threat the last time she had seen him - that he would kill her the next time he saw her.

It was enough to scare her away.

Kanna immediately turned, the moment her erstwhile 'sister' was gone, and walked straight towards Kagome and Sesshoumaru. As the youkai Lord tensed, just slightly, Kagome put a dainty hand to his arm and smiled softly up at him, and he nodded, letting the tension ease.

As the young girl reached Kagome, she held out her hand, showing the shards, and waited for her to take them. "They belong to you," she said, in her whispery, soft voice. "Naraku should not be allowed to regain any more of the shikon."

Kagome held the young woman's eyes appraisingly... because that's really what she was. Even though she was trapped in the body of a child, Kanna was the same 'age' as Kagura.

"Kanna... do you want to travel with us?" she asked, as she took the shards and placed them in the little bottle that was still around her neck.

Sesshoumaru glanced down at her, brow raised, and Kagome squeezed his arm softly.

The girl tilted her head slightly, and for once, you could actually see some emotion in her eyes. Gratitude.

She nodded, then. "Hai, my Lady, this Kanna would be grateful for the company. Since Naraku's death, I have slowly become aware of... emotions. It would be welcome to no longer be alone."

"Then it's settled." She looked up at her protector, knowing that he would be wanting to speak to her, and sure enough, he had a slightly tight look to his lips that let out his unhappiness with her decision.

Bending down quickly, she picked a few peonies, and then turned, taking ahold of his arm again, motioning for Kanna to join the others. The girl simply nodded and walked over to the rest of the group.

Once she was out of earshot, Kagome smiled ruefully and sighed. "Okay, I'm ready."

He quirked a brow at her. "Ready?"

"For you to take me to task about making such a decision. But before you do, yes, I am absolutely positive that Kanna is on the level - this isn't some kind of trick."

He frowned, looking away, he asked, "How are you able to state so with such authority?"

"Because I tend to listen to my ki, Sesshoumaru-sama, that's why, and it's telling me rather loudly that we want her company. Would she not be a welcome addition?" she asked shrewdly.

"Hai, she would, if you are sure that she is no danger to you - or the others." He sighed a little, then, and looked down at her. "The name is Sesshoumaru, Kagome. You will drop the honorific - it is no longer welcome coming from you. I am courting you, and formality has no place in such a relationship."

She blushed, but smiled at him, a soft look in her eyes. "Okay... Sesshoumaru." She chuckled. "I think that will take some getting used to - don't be angry if I slip."

He bowed his head and led her back to the rest of the group, informing them that Kanna would now be traveling with them, and that she was to be treated well.

The group quickly adapted, and once more began their travel, though Inuyasha did look askance at the girl once or twice.

Kagome frowned thoughtfully as they walked, looking to the side where Kanna walked quietly. "Kanna... is it just me or are you... taller than you were before?"

Kanna was silent for a few moments, then nodded. "Hai. Now that Naraku is dead, I am growing - it was he that was responsible for keeping me in this childish form. I am... becoming."

Her eyebrows rose, as Sango and Miroku both sucked in startled gasps. Kagome narrowed her eyes. "You mean... you're becoming an adult?"

She tilted her head down to indicate that Kagome was correct. "I am. In a month, mayhap less, I will have an adult's stature."

"Wow. That's going to be strange," here she got a gleeful look, "but you know what? I'm glad! Now you'll be able to really live!"

Suddenly remembering the peonies from earlier, she took one out of her obi, and tucked it into Kanna's hair behind her ear.

The contrast between the pinky color of the flower, and Kanna's pure white hair was startling, and the girl reached up, touching one finger to the flower, almost in confusion.

Kagome smiled at her cheerfully. "Those are peonies, and they stand for 'happy life'. Which is what you are going to have now, I swear it. You deserve it as much as anyone else."

Kanna stared at her for a moment, then looked down at the ground, seemingly taken aback at the thought of a free and happy life.

Happy? I never thought about being... happy.

At that moment, Rin came up on Ah-Uhn, and she nodded to Kanna with a huge welcoming smile. "Mama is right. Everyone deserves to be happy... and if anyone can find a way to help you be happy it's mama."

Sesshoumaru caught that statement from Rin, and had to agree.

If she found a way to show me how to be... happy, she can do the same for anyone.

He sent a sidelong glance at the young void youkai.

Perhaps it is a good thing that Kagome brought her into the pack.

And then he sighed.

Time will tell.

---oOo---

A/N: And now I'm in the story... LOL! Anyway, when I saw the meaning for this flower, my mind immediately flashed to Kanna - she had such a sad half-life that I wanted to give her a better chance in my story. She actually has a bit of a role to play here.

Amber