InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Oracle of Time and Love ( Chapter 47 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Oracle of Time and Love

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru glanced around and nodded to himself. This would be a good place to stop - he could have the group set up camp, while he went to speak to Bokuseno.

He had deliberately led the pack this way, having some very important issues to seek answers from the ancient tree youkai on, while at the same time, not letting on to any of the group what he was up to.

He didn't want Kagome to find out what he was doing - yet.

If he could find the answers he sought, then he would take her aside and speak to her, but until that time, he did not want her to know.

Or anyone else, either.

With that in mind, he sent Inuyasha off to hunt in the opposite direction from the one Bokuseno was in, then had the rest of the group prepare camp, before he set off, saying only that he was going to patrol the area.

It was a good thing that Bokuseno wasn't too far away - he wouldn't go far from Kagome's side, knowing that Naraku/Kagura had it out for her specifically.

When he arrived in the small clearing that housed the tree, he stopped, and waited patiently, knowing that the youkai would sense his presence and awaken fairly quickly.

Sure enough... it didn't take long.

"Ah, Sesshoumaru-sama," he said in his deep, ponderous voice, as he shook himself awake. "What brings you to this Bokuseno?"

"I wish to find a way to conquer death, old one - to cheat time. You will tell me what you know."

At that, Bokuseno chuckled, rustling his limbs in drowsy amusement. "Do you not have Tensaiga, Lord of the West? What more do you need?"

Sesshoumaru merely continued to look at him, and the old tree sighed, then asked, "What is it that you really seek, son of the General? Speak openly if you wish to have benefit of my knowledge."

The youkai lord looked at Bokuseno consideringly for a time, then said, "Very well. I wish to know how to grant someone a lifespan like to my own."

At that, the glade went silent, all life seeming to halt within its confines as the old tree pondered on what had just been said. "I see. So you finally have something to protect," he mused. "Your father foresaw this day, young Lord. He told me that you would come to me with this request at some point. Very wise youkai, your father."

Sesshoumaru raised a brow, surprised - and yet, strangely - not. Because Bokuseno was right. His father had been very wise. It did not set well, however, that his father had known his actions, even so long ago.

Is there no end to your machinations, old man? he thought, disgruntled.

Nothing showed on his face, however, and he continued to look at Bokuseno, obviously still waiting, and the old tree once again rattled his branches, returning the noises of life to the clearing.

"There are always ways, Sesshoumaru-sama," he said finally, "for those who are willing to pay the price. Tell me," he looked quizzically at the tall white Lord, "would you be willing to give up some of your own life span, to extend hers?"

"Give up?" Sesshoumaru blinked, taken aback. He hadn't considered that as a possibility.

"Yes. You do not get something for nothing, Sesshoumaru-sama. You should consider this before you act."

Sesshoumaru looked up into the sky, thinking on the tree's words. Give up... some of my own life, to gain a longer life for her...

"Her life would be extended - and my own would be shortened, so that we would then match life spans?" he questioned, wanting to be sure that he was clear on what the elder tree was speaking of.

Bokuseno chuckled. "Hai. How much are you really willing to give, I wonder, proud youkai lord?" He sighed. "And when did I become an oracle on time - and your love life, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

At that, the daiyoukai looked back down at the ground, then stepped forward, bending to pick something up. When he straightened, he held a dandelion.

He stepped forward again, tucking the little flower into a crook of the one of the tree's limbs, and said, "Since I found this flower at your feet, Bokuseno. It is a dandelion, and that is what it stands for - Oracle of time and love." Love? he thought.

Turning on his heel, he began to walk away, then paused. Turning his head, he glanced at the tree once more from the corner of one eye.

"I will think on your words, old one. I will return when I have decided." He then continued on his way, disappearing silently back into the forest.

Bokuseno watched him go, then looked down at his feet at the many little dandelions clustered there.

So... once again, old friend, you were right. It is you that made me into this oracle - and all for the love of your eldest son.

He sighed deeply, then settling himself, he closed his eyes, and drifted back off to sleep.

No one saw as the tiny little puffball of a flower was lifted by the wind, circling higher and higher until it disappeared into the deep blue skies of early evening.

And up above, someone watched the flower - and smiled, pleased. His sons would both soon find happiness - it would ease his soul to finally see it.

---oOo---

A/N: Well, it is what it is. Anyone disagree with me? Bokuseno seems to be the one they go to for answers - which would make him an oracle of sorts. At least, that's how I see him.

Amber