InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Dignity ( Chapter 78 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dignity

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

"Are you ready?"

It was a rather pointless question, because, ready or not, they were about to jump into the timeslip, and see if their attempt to open the well to their wills had worked. Nonetheless, she nodded, and he took her hand in his, squeezing it comfortingly before wrapping an arm around her.

"Let us proceed, then."

With that, Sesshoumaru leapt lightly over the edge of the well, Kagome still clasped tightly within the safety of his arms.

Just as Kagome was about to despair that the rip would open, the blue lights flashed to life, and she sighed with relief - and excitement.

It's working! That means... oh, kami that means my family can come to my wedding - and meet all my friends and...

She frowned.

Oh, boy. Gramps... I'm gonna have to take his sutra away... she thought ruefully.

As soon as they touched down in her era, confirmed by looking up at the roof of the well-house, Sesshoumaru leapt up, and set her down on the wooden platform surrounding the well.

He stepped back, looking around curiously, though there was not much to see - and then wrinkled his nose when the scents caught up with him.

"What is the reason it smells so?" he asked, a slightly offended look on his face, and Kagome burst into startled laughter.

"Oh! I forgot to mention that to you," she said, sheepishly. "It's a side-effect of all that technology I've told you about - cars and the like. It's called pollution. Not very nice... and definitely hard on the nose."

"Hn. That, miko, is an understatement, if I have ever heard one," he said dryly.

She grinned apologetically. "Sorry. Ummm... what would it take to get you to take off your armor... and your swords and leave them here?"

Both brows winged into his bangs at that. "My armor I have no concerns with - but you would have me leave Tokijiin and Tensaiga here - unattended?"

"It's really not a problem, Sesshoumaru, I promise. You can place them on the back side of the well, and no one will see them. Besides, the shrine is closed for the day, so there won't be any visitors. You swords will be safe," she said earnestly. "It's just that in my era, the wearing of swords is forbidden."

He eyed her, astonished. "Already I do not like your era, miko. But I will do this - because you have asked." With that, reluctantly, she could tell, he began to remove his armor, and she rushed over to help him, laying everything neatly on the hidden side of the well.

"I will leave mokomoko here as well - I doubt that people in your time would recognize it's purpose, it should be safe enough here."

Kagome nodded without speaking. Purpose?

When he was ready, Kagome smiled at him, and taking his arm happily, she led him up the steps to the door, and slid it open a bit, checking to make sure no one was about, she led him out and slid the door shut again.

She watched from the corner of her eye as she led him to the house and he looked around curiously, eyes seemingly noting everything around him.

He probably is - checking for threats, no doubt. She laughed inwardly at that thought.

She took an appreciative sniff as they entered the genkan - her mother was making something with cloves, and she'd always loved the smell of cloves...

Dignity... well, it's appropriate for the company, I guess, she thought as she cast a side-long glance at her Lord.

After removing her shoes, she tugged Sesshoumaru into the main living room of the house, and asked him to await her there while she looked for her mother.

He nodded at her excited smile and watched as she moved off through another doorway quickly.

Kagome moved down the hall to the kitchen, somehow knowing that's where she'd find her mother - and almost had a heart attack when she realized who was with her mother in the kitchen - and why they were there.

Yuka, Eri, Ayumi... and Houjo. And they were interrogating her mother on her 'engagement'. Although with Houjo, it seemed more as if it was an argument over how unfair it was to force your daughter into a betrothal.

Her face darkened with irritation as the group fell silent, staring at her in awe - and she realized belatedly that she was dressed in a very formal, very expensive kimono...

Her mother stood up and smiled uncertainly at her. "Kagome, dear! I wasn't sure when you would be back..." she trailed off, staring over her daughter's shoulder, and with a wince, Kagome looked behind herself...

And up at Sesshoumaru.

In all his glory. She closed her eyes, and with a resigned sigh, she tried to figure out how to explain this one.

The silence in the room was almost deafening.

With a shake of her head, she opened her eyes, stepping into the kitchen, she moved aside so that Sesshoumaru could also enter.

"Sesshoumaru-sama, this is my mother, Higurashi Hitomi, mama, this is my betrothed, Sesshoumaru-sama."

She pinned Houjo with a hard gaze as he opened his mouth to say something.

"As you can probably tell by now, there are some things that I didn't tell you the other day - not that they were really any of your business in the first place."

She stopped when she felt her Lord put a hand on her shoulder. "I take it that they know nothing of youkai," he said, calmly, and everyone in the room shook their heads, the four younger ones with wide-eyes.

"I see." He turned after a moment of gazing calculatingly at the four young people to look at Kagome's mother, and bowed just slightly. "Higurashi-san," he said in acknowledgement.

She beamed at him, then, and bowed right back. "Sesshoumaru-sama, please, be welcome into my home."

He nodded, then glanced at Kagome. "Perhaps you should go speak to your friends, koi," he said, his tone formal, proper, though his words were warmer, and Kagome bowed, smiling lightly at him.

"Thank you, Sesshoumaru-sama. That's probably a good idea."

With that, she forcibly escorted an obviously stunned group of people from the room, and towards the living area.

Boy... that part about dignity was sure right. I was about to lose it there for a moment - and he just acted like he always does...

And then she looked at the expressions on her friends faces and sighed again.

This isn't gonna be too easy, she thought with a wince. Guess I'd better get it over with, though.

"Okay... let's hear it."

She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose as the sudden loud babble overwhelmed her.

I wish I could steal a little of his dignity from him right about now... or even better... a lot of restraint.

---oOo---

A/N: What a mess... poor Kagome. Well, next chapter's the explanations... I just couldn't resist doing this with the story - it was about time for some funny stuff.

Amber