InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Ephemerality of Life ( Chapter 97 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ephemerality of Life

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

A/N: I was planning to end the story with this chapter, however rOo, and 2lazy2login (love the nic, by the way) begged me to try for 100... so we'll see. That would leave four more chapters, including the epilogue. Keep your fingers crossed.

---oOo---

Kagome was surprised when Sesshoumaru tracked her down in the gardens where she was overseeing the construction of a type of hothouse (Sesshoumaru had indeed been fascinated by the concept, as her mother had thought he would be, and had ordered one built on the grounds of the shiro).

Apparently, she had visitors - Sango and Miroku, as well as Kohaku had stopped by. She snickered when she heard that, and wondered how long it had taken the monk to talk his way back into the slayers good graces after their wedding.

But she was admittedly curious as to why they were there, after all, it had only been about a week and a half since they'd been wed. Technically, they should still be in the 'honeymoon' phase of things, not going visiting.

She started to ask her husband, but he shook his head. "I do not know why they are here, only that it seems to be a serious visit - not one made strictly for pleasure."

At that, she frowned. "I hope everything's okay," she said, picking up her pace, and going as fast as propriety would allow as they headed for the informal family rooms that lay near their rooms.

Sesshoumaru merely raised a brow, amused at the speed she could actually achieve while walking when she put her mind to it. "I do not think anything is wrong, per se, wife. They were serious, but not worried," he finished.

Kagome nodded absent-mindedly as they entered one of her favorite rooms in the family wing - the sakura room. The walls and been painted delicately with sakura trees in full bloom, with blossoms trailing from the trees on an imaginary breeze.

The room featured dark cherry wood furniture, and pillows in whites and pale greens contrasted beautifully. She'd spent much time in this room with the children - and she probably would even more as autumn spent itself and became winter.

When her eyes landed on the two people in the room, she relaxed slightly, as she realized that Sesshoumaru had been correct - whatever the problem was, there was no urgency in their auras.

"Hey, guys," she said as she knelt next to her husband and eyed her friends, "what's up? And where's Kohaku?"

Sango and Miroku exchanged glances, and looked at her. "He's... visiting with Rin and Shippo - we didn't want him here for this discussion," Sango said hesitantly.

Kagome frowned, becoming concerned again. What's going on?

Miroku took over at that point. "Sango and I have a request, for you, Sesshoumaru-sama, and you, Kagome-sama."

Kagome frowned at the formality, but didn't say anything, continuing to listen.

"Kohaku is... not doing well. There's been too much damage for him to ever have any of the innocence most children do. The problem is that he can't adjust to life with Sango and I right now - it's too soon." Miroku frowned, looking down, then looked back up at Sesshoumaru.

"It came to our minds, then, that he had done well when traveling with you and Rin, those many months ago, before Naraku took him back - and so we determined to ask if he could stay here for a time... to give him time to readjust to life, so to speak."

Kagome was immediately ready to say yes, but she held back, knowing that this was her husband's decision - and hoping that he would do it.

Sesshoumaru sat there for a time, considering the words of the monk. He was content while he traveled with Rin and I... perhaps he would be comfortable here. It would do him well to be away from the village he grew up in that Naraku destroyed, as well, and as the slayer and monk intend to rebuild it...

"It is acceptable to this one; however, have you spoken to him about this?"

"No, not in so many words," Sango said, obvious relief on her face now that Sesshoumaru had agreed - tentatively, anyway.

"Very well, I will send a servant to find him so that we may discuss this," he said, and stood to go to the door, stepping out and speaking with a servant for a moment.

"So, Kagome-sama, how are things going for you here?" Miroku asked, a smile crossing his face at her expression.

"Stop with the sama's, guys - I might have to deal with it in public, but in private..." she trailed off, nose wrinkled in distaste for the formality of titles.

"Indeed, monk. In private, you do not need to be so formal with my wife - I am aware that she is not comfortable with it," the daiyoukai said as he knelt back down beside her.

They passed a few minutes in easy conversation, then, while waiting for Kohaku to join them, but they all broke off when he tapped politely on the door, and then stepped inside when bidden - followed by Rin and Shippo.

Kagome watched him closely, and noted his expression as he looked around the room - an amalgamation of sorrow, bitterness, hopelessness, and weariness that should never have sat on the face of one so young.

He looked up, and caught her questioning gaze on him. With a slight gesture to indicate the room, he said softly, "Sakura blossoms, Kagome-sama - they stand for ephemerality of life - it's delicacy and short span. It suits my thoughts."

Her eyes softened sadly on the youth who'd just spoken words that one as young as he shouldn't even know, let alone understand, and she once again cursed Naraku's greed and cruelty.

"But did you know, Kohaku," she said, with an understanding smile tinged with sadness, but happiness as well, "they also stand for good fortune, and love?"

He tilted his head and looked at her for a moment, then looked around the room again, seeing it with a new eye, and he nodded. "I understand, Kagome-sama, what you are saying. I will consider that, as well."

Everyone else had watched the exchange closely, and Sesshoumaru, Miroku, and Sango were convinced that a stay here would be a good thing for him. With that in mind, Sesshoumaru caught the boy's gaze.

"There is an invitation for you to stay here at the shiro with us that I wish to extend to you, Kohaku. Will you accept?" he asked.

The boy's eyes shot to his sister, and she nodded, a small smile on her face. "If you'd like to, Kohaku, go right ahead. I know you'll be safe here, and I can come visit anytime you want me to."

He dropped his gaze to the floor, not missing Shippo's and Rin's whispered pleas to stay, and thought about it for a few moments, then his gaze once more swept slowly around the room, before he looked back at the daiyoukai and nodded with a bow.

"Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama, I'd be honored to stay here for a time," he said quietly, and the two children behind him cheered, while the adults in the room, minus Sesshoumaru, of course, all smiled, relieved.

"Then welcome to my shiro, Kohaku." He turned to speak to the little toad standing quietly to the side behind Rin, and said, "Take the boy and show him the available rooms in this wing, and let him choose one for himself."

He looked to Miroku. "His things?" he questioned.

"They are still in the courtyard with our own things, Sesshoumaru-sama," he answered, and was met with a nod. "Have their things brought in, and settled into rooms as well."

The little toad bowed and scurried out, and Shippo and Rin grabbed Kohaku's hands and began to pull him from the room as soon as Sesshoumaru indicated that they could leave. The boy looked back once, meeting Kagome's gaze somberly... but with a strangely grateful tint, before he was gone.

Kagome sighed, then smiled over at Sango. "We'll help him get better, Sango - but you have to know that he'll never be the little brother that you remember," she cautioned.

The taijiya sighed, looking away, her hand clenching around her husbands when he laid it on hers in support. "I know. But... I can't stand to see him like this forever, you know?"

Sesshoumaru spoke then, meeting Miroku's gaze. "He will get better - with time. Injuries to the psyche are for more grievous than those to the body, and take much more time, as well. Do not give up hope."

Both nodded gratefully, thanking the Lord for his generosity in allowing the boy to stay, but Kagome was still caught up in that look he'd sent her as he was led away.

She stared at the sakura tree on the wall.

Mortality, and the fleeting nature of life... he shouldn't have had to be exposed to such things so young. But I'll do my best to get him to concentrate on the other side of things... the good fortune...

And the love.

---oOo---

A/N: I has to write this one after rOo's plea to make it to one hundred - I felt that a chapter about Kohaku would not be amiss.

Hope everyone enjoyed.

Amber