InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Game ❯ A tear for a tear ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

****************

A tear for a tear

****************

The man (at least she thought it was a man) jumped up from the chair he was sitting in at the sound of her voice. But instead of running to her, he had leapt to the side of the bed. "Who's in the bed?" She asked her self wearily but never thought she would hear a reply.

"Kagome…" Said the man in red. "Kagome…? Can you hear me?"

She tried to walk towards them, oh gods she tired, but her feet and arms just wouldn't budge.

"Kagome…?" He stroked the bangs out from in front of the person's face. She recognized this action, but who was he.

"Who is that?" She asked again.

"Kagome…?" Asked a softer more famine voice. "It's me, your mother. You remember me, don't you?" A fresh set of tears had welled up in her eyes and soon they began to fall like rain.

"Like rain… rain…" Kagome's mind was off racing through flashing pictures of rain and thunder. "Something happened in the rain."

"Kagome? Please do you know who I am?" Her mother sobbed.

"Yea… I think I do. But… Who are you?"

"I'm your mom, Kago…"

"No… Not you…" Inu-Yasha's eye's glazed over as he spoke.

"You don't remember who I am?" He asked softly. His hand (by now instinctively) went to feel her forehead or brush away her bangs, that weren't there to begin with.

"I can't…" Water welled up in her eyes as well and fell as she spoke. Who ever was on the bed must have had the same reaction because the "man" brushed the person who was in bed's cheek as if he were wiping away tears.

"Don't cry. I-It's okay."

"No… It's s-so cold and I… can hardly breath." By this time the sun was rising and morning light was shining through the window. It was creeping ever so slightly up to the chair tipped over in front of the window, casting a shadow on the tiled floor below.

"Kagome it is going to be…"

"No! I can't move!" Mrs. Higurashi began to fumble with something attached the bed and soon the man began to help. Straps of leather began to fall under the bed.

"Can you move now honey?"

Kagome place one step forward but as soon as she did so the room began to fog over.

"Now I can hardly see you! Help me… please!" She was so desperate that she would have taken any solution to get out that situation. "Mr. Please help me-e-e!"

"Kagome! What do you see?" Asked Inu-Yasha. "Where are you? I'm right here! Next to you!"

"Fog… White…" Her words were so distant that he had to place his ear right next to her mouth to hear them.

"That's not enough, where are you?"

"Was in… room… bed… window… and chair."

"You were in here?!"

"Still… in… fog… hear birds."

In fact a few small birds had fluttered into the room seeing a crust of bread left over from a sandwich Mrs. Higurashi had eaten for dinner the other day.

"She's still in here." Inu-Yasha told Mrs. Higurashi. She franticly spread her arms out in front of her and walked all around the room searching for her daughter when there was a knock at the door. Inu-Yasha jumped out of the window and back into the tree he had previously occupied. "Damn!" He cursed.

Back in the room the doctor had come to check up on Kagome. He said that she was making some progress. Actually it was only the fact that she had gotten warmer because they had placed the blanket back on her.