InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Giver is the Gift ❯ Sweets for the Sweet ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters contained herein. They are the exclusive property of their original copyright holders. I just play with them for my own amusement.
 
A/N: There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the length of my chapters for this story. To that end, allow me a moment for explanation. This story is being written in response to a challenge. One of the guidelines for that challenge was that the chapter could not be more that 250 words in length, i.e. a drabble. Another requirement was that it be twelve "days," or chapters, long. I hope that helps those who were worried about chapter length. I now return you to your regularly scheduled drabble. Thank you.
 
The Giver is the Gift
 
Sweets for the Sweet
 
He sniffed the air eagerly and followed his nose to the source of the tempting aroma. Hikari-san was cooking sweet dumplings again; and it smelled like they were almost ready to come off the grill. The widow made the best dumplings in all of Musashi, and it was just his good luck that she had a batch that was almost ready.
 
That baka, he just had to make a pig of himself three nights ago, when they were last fortunate enough to get some of Hikari-san's dumplings. He knew that Kagome loved them. She'd been so disappointed when she went for the last one, only to find that the jerk had eaten it. Today, he planned to remedy that. Today, with the others gone, he would be getting her as many skewers as he could; and they would all be for her alone.
 
He had already approached the widow and presented her with some winter mushrooms and nuts he had scavenged. He had heard that she needed them for her sick brother, and she had been happy to accept them in trade. Now, all he had to do was wait for the dumplings to be done; and from the smell of things that wouldn't be long.
 
After placing the leaf-wrapped skewers on Kagome's bedroll shortly thereafter, he waited outside the hut for her to come back in. He grinned, amused, as she squealed with glee upon finding the treat and was pleasantly surprised when she asked him to join her.
 
Word Count: 250