InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Giver is the Gift ❯ A Stick in the Mud? ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters contained herein. They are the exclusive property of their original copyright holders. I just play with them for my own amusement.
 
The Giver is the Gift
 
A Stick in the Mud?
 
His next gift was a messier and more labor-intensive endeavor than he could have imagined. By now, most of the villagers had heard what he was up to. They had been surprisingly good at keeping it from the rest of his companions for the most part. It shouldn't have surprised him, then, when the potter approached him the next afternoon and offered him a deal: If he would go down by the river and find and bring back a specific type of clay, the potter would allow him any of his finished wares.
 
He agreed immediately, for the potter had some very nice pieces in his hut, including a handsomely decorated tea kettle that Kagome would love for sure. It took no time at all to find area of the clay deposit. What would take time was the digging, something the potter had conveniently failed to mention.
 
Rolling up his sleeves, he got down to business, figuring that what he was after couldn't be too far beneath the surface. Two hours later, as the sun approached zenith and the hole had reached a depth to match his height, he hit pay dirt. He fashioned his outer garment into an impromptu sling and carried back as much as it would hold.
 
Taking his prize and leaving a happy potter in his wake, he nestled the tea kettle in the folds of Kagome's pack. Her smile as she came down to the river to fill it made even his cold bath worthwhile.
 
Word Count: 250