InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Jewel of Four Souls ❯ Saving Grace, Demonic Presence ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Normally I won't post a new chapter this fast. Not even close… but it's not a long chapter, nor a “thrilling” one so to speak. So why not? After this chapter the story shall pick up from here. I want to really thank my two reviewers so far (this story is posted in more than 1 place). Means a lot to me ^_^.
 
Disclaimer: Ooops…possibly left out of chapter 1… but here it is! I don't own any of the original characters, settings, etc. Nope. I do own this plot though.
 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
Chapter 2 “Saving Grace, Demonic Presence”
 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
By mid-afternoon the group was continuing along the makeshift path to Naraku's castle. Miroku cautiously led them along while Shippo rested lightly on his shoulder. Sango followed close behind occasionally glancing back to Kagome with worried looks. InuYasha didn't seem to notice while they walked onwards. Meanwhile, shadows from the birds flew by overhead. Something in the air also seemed rather…ominous.
 
Sango was too deep in thought to really notice the size of the shadows. Much less even get that eerie feeling when something bad was about to happen.
 
“Do you sense it?”
 
“Huh?” Sango snapped out of her daze.
 
“These ain't any ordinary birds.” InuYasha commented, as he looked skywards.
 
“They're demon birds!”
 
“Ahhhhhhhhhhaaahahahaaaaa!” came a shrilling scream from nowhere. Though it was easy to pinpoint the sound coming from the sky.
 
“Huh?!”
 
“Look!” Miroku pointed.
 
One bird seemed to be floating away from the rest. Something was dangling from its talons…
 
“It's got someone!”
 
“Kirara!”
 
The little cat dove out from behind her master and transformed in a ball of flame. Sango hastily mounted her full-sized, faithful friend and gave chase. Down below, Miroku and InuYasha gave chase. The birds were just a little too high for them to reach effectively. Though Sango seemed to have it handled anyway.
 
“Oh no you don't!” Sango said from a low altitude. “Hiraikotsu!” She heaved her weapon at the bird carrying what appeared to be a small kid. In an instant the demon-bird was severed in half, disintegrating on the spot. Kirara made a dive for the kid as he or she fell from the sky. Sango made the easy catch as Miroku congratulated her from the ground. Skidding to a halt a moment later.
 
Sango quickly scurried out of the way as Miroku stuck his staff into the ground. “I'll finish off the rest! Wind Tunnel!”
 
The birds squawked and furiously flapped to get away but the vortex was too much for them to overcome. One by one they began to descend rapidly into the black hole that was Miroku's right palm. A moment later he closed the Wind Tunnel, leaving behind only a flock of feathers floating in the afternoon sun. Glimmering as they glided gently to the ground.
 
Sango and Kirara landed back amongst the group shortly after. Still holding the kid protectively, Sango took a glance down to check if he or she was ok. Her eyes seemed to widen slightly…
 
“Uh-huh!?”
 
“What is it Sango?”
 
“It…it can't be…”
 
“Rin.” InuYasha said, catching her scent.
 
The little girl kept her eyes closed as she held onto Sango. InuYasha jerked his head around upon sensing another presence. This presence was familiar. Too familiar…
 
“That was most unnecessary.” Came a chilly voice.
 
“Sesshomaru.” InuYasha said with a calm heated furry.
 
Rin perked up and opened her eyes. Squirming she broke free from Sango's grasp and stared rather happily at Sesshomaru. Sango could only stare between the little girl and the demon lord.
 
“I'm ok M'Lord! Sango saved me!”
 
“I see…” He took a good hard look at Sango. As if he was trying to warn her; to dare her. She stood her ground trying not to let the demon lord err her. She knew there'd be no thank you from him. But nonetheless wasn't expecting one from the rather cold hearted guy. InuYasha stood his ground, inwardly making a low growl.
 
“Sesshomaru. Have you sensed it too?” Miroku spoke up trying to perhaps relieve some of the tension.
 
“Humph… need you bother to ask?”
 
“Then you must know Naraku is close by. I know you don't care for any of us, but we all may benefit is we work together.”
 
“As if I'd work with him!” InuYasha yelled.
 
“I have no need in working with you humans.” He coldly said.
 
“What about Rin?” Sango asked. “You want her to be out of harms way right? We can protect her while you fight.” Although that wasn't exactly the point, both her and Miroku knew that combined InuYasha and Sesshomaru boasted incredible power. Perhaps even enough to beat Naraku. If only they'd see that and stop bickering.
 
“Hmm…” He glanced at Sango and Rin. “…do as you please. But Naraku will fall to my blade. So stay out of my way!”
 
“The hell he will! He'll fall to mine!”
 
“InuYasha should quit while he's ahead.” Shippo commented.
 
WHACK! InuYasha cracked him over the head in annoyance. Leaving a noticeable lump on the poor kitsune's head.
 
“Owwwww…” Shippo expected some intervention from Kagome. A good stern talking to, or a good ol' fashioned `sit' would knock the hanyou down a peg or two. But nothing came. The miko didn't even seem the least bit interested. She just stood there looking off into the distance as though nothing was going on. Shippo frowned as he rubbed the sore spot, knowing it'll hurt for a while.
 
“Rin, come.” Sesshomaru commanded as he took off.
 
“Hai!”
 
“Well, let's get going you guys.” Sango said as Kirara transformed back and hopped onto her master's shoulder. Mewing.
 
“Why that…” InuYasha mumbled.
 
“Calm yourself.”
 
“I won't let him beat us to Naraku!”
 
`Oh boy…' Miroku sighed. `Why can't he just get along with his brother?'
 
Silently, or at least that was intended, the group followed Sesshomaru in the general direction of Naraku's castle. The demon lord didn't seem to care about their presence either. InuYasha continued a rather noisy rant as they all marched forwards.
 
The Inu-group, more specifically Miroku, wondered if Sesshomaru knew what they did. That Naraku had taken repossession of his heart. Kikyo was the one to tell them that what seemed like only a fortnight ago. As she claimed to have found Naraku's heart and nearly destroyed it. But there was other news she discussed. Sango, also wondering the same thing, remembered that night rather well. She quickly realized that after that night, Kagome hasn't been herself…
 
~Flashback~
 
“Kikyo?” Nearly the whole group said simultaneously.
 
The undead miko approached from the distance and stood before everyone. She appeared exhausted. Worn. Her clothing torn and tattered. She must have gotten attacked.
 
“What happened to you?” InuYasha asked noticeably concerned.
 
“Naraku… I found his heart…”
 
Several gasps were heard.
 
“But he… he took repossession of it inside his body before I could destroy it. Not only that, Naraku also is using his part of the jewel to strengthen his powers. He may very well be unstoppable as even I couldn't break his demonic barrier.”
 
“Bah, we'll get him, don't you worry!”
 
“Naraku is so confident, he even absorbed his spawn Hakudoushi… and he even killed Kagura.”
 
“Hakudoushi and Kagura are dead?” Miroku asked in a rather stunned fashion. Naraku had to be confident to kill off two of his own. Perhaps he absorbed them to gain even more power…More power for the lot he had already. Just what they needed...
 
“Yes… his powers are too great to be overcome single-handedly. …He said he'll be waiting for you at his castle.” Kikyo panted slightly as she stumbled. InuYasha caught her and steadied the miko…
 
-End Flashback-
 
`Could that have been what upset Kagome?' Sango thought as she walked along. `It had to be…'
 
`If what Kikyo said is true, we may finally be able to bring down Naraku. We won't let him escape this time!' Miroku could only hope.
 
As night slowly began to fall, Rin began to noticeably fall behind a bit. But the presence of Naraku was getting all the more stronger. So was another presence that seemed to be drawing closer.
 
“I smell wolf.” InuYasha commented. Visibly annoyed.
 
No sooner had he said that a twister rapidly approached. Pretty much everyone knew there was only one person it could be. Sesshomaru on the other hand stood his ground as the demon-twister blew right by him and stopped directly in front of Kagome. Sure enough once the dust settled, Kouga was visible. And visibly happy to see `his woman'.
 
“Hey Kagome.” He took her hands in his gleefully.
 
She said nothing. Kouga took immediate notice and glared at the hanyou standing nearby.
 
“Hey mutt-face, what'd you do to my woman?”
 
“I didn't do nothin' you mangy wolf!”
 
“Then how come she's all gloomy?”
 
“How the hell should I know? What are you doing here anyway you flea-bag?”
 
“Naraku is close by, and I'm not about to let him get away from me this time!”
 
“Then we're all in the same boat then.” Miroku stated.
 
“Heh, doesn't matter to me really. I'll still bring him down faster than dog-breath here can chase his tail.”
 
“What did you say!?” InuYasha bellowed furious, wanting to draw his sword so badly. Finally putting an end to Kouga.
 
“Sit.” Came a near silent Kagome.
 
The beads around InuYasha's neck glowed brightly before plunging to the ground. Bringing the hanyou's head and body along with it. Slamming forcefully, face first into the ground, he moaned in familiar pain. Kouga smirked and gave a short laugh.
 
“That's what you get.”
 
“Will they ever get along?” Sango quietly asked Miroku.
 
“I doubt it.”
 
“They're both idiots.” Shippo remarked.
 
Both the monk and demon slayer nodded. Neither one of them hardly noticed Sesshomaru drawing out his sword. His eyes slowly scanning the area. InuYasha picked himself up off the ground, still trying to shake off the effects of the spell. Kouga too seemed to tense. Ignoring his rival.
 
“Sango…”
 
“It's him…Naraku is near…”
 
Taking off Sesshomaru and Kouga made a mad dash off to where the trees appeared to end. InuYasha gave chase.
 
“Shippo.” Kagome quietly said as she bent down.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Stay here with Rin.”
 
“But…”
 
“Please. She needs someone to look after her. Ginta and Hakkaku should be along shortly to help you out.” Where there was Kouga, those two weren't that far behind. Though that depends really on how far you look back.
 
“Alright! You can count on me Kagome!”
 
She patted the little kitsune on the head before following the rest of the group out past the tree line. Emerging, they found a small open field before the trees continued on into more of the forest. The day was nearly over as Sesshomaru, Kouga, and InuYasha stood at the forefront, each tensed and poised for a fight. Kagome looked up and out towards the other end of the field. There, floated their long time nemesis. There floated Naraku. Grinning.
 
“I've been waiting for you all…”
 
-----------------------------------------
 
Oh boy… Naraku is happy to see them. That's always bad news.
Please Review! Please?
 
-King RTS-I'm the King of My World!