InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Jewel of Four Souls ❯ Saving Heartbreak ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

^_^ Happy Birthday to me! ^_^ Today, July 13
 
To celebrate, I give you Chapter 4 for your enjoyment!
 
I want to thank my three reviewers: xn0tp3rfect (ff.net), the supportive Twinkle (mm.org), and new reviewer madosie (mm)!
 
Remember, questions and comments are always welcomed!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the original characters, settings, etc.
 
--------------------------------------
 
Chapter 4 “Saving Heartbreak”
 
--------------------------------------
 
Sesshomaru stood by and observed the scene before him. InuYasha's entire group was in deep despair. His younger brother refused to let the young miko go as he knelt there clutching her tightly to him. Emotions weren't fully readable on the hanyou's face while he remained virtually motionless. And yet his anger was shown through the final Wind Scar he dealt out upon Naraku. Its power was apparent in the five markings left in the ground. Sesshomaru didn't quite understand what caused the sudden surge in power.
 
`…No, you should shut up and let me protect you!' His brother's voice from the past rang in his head.
 
`Hmm, is it possible that his desire to protect that human enabled him to unleash such power from the Tetsusaiga?' Sesshomaru wondered to himself. Off in behind and to the left of where Naraku once stood laid the young boy he had been chasing for quite some time. Kohaku. The scent of him radiated with Naraku, his best lead to find him, and yet had its own distinction. Another woman was now laying over him crying.
 
`That woman; is she be the boy's sister as Rin said?'
 
Questionably, he looked down at Tenseiga. It pulsed once, twice, and thrice. Grumping, he wondered over to where Sango lay, paying no mind to Miroku as he stood nearby them. What was Tenseiga's purpose? Why did it want him to do this…?
 
“Woman. If you wish the boy to live, you will move.”
 
Sango halted her crying upon hearing the chilling voice. She looked up at the demon lord and stiffened. Yet, her body moved off her brother as Sesshomaru drew his other sword, Tenseiga. It pulsed once again as the minions of the underworld began to appear. With a quick slash the demons were destroyed in a hiss of energy that only Sesshomaru heard. Grumping again, he sheathed his sword as Kohaku began to stir.
 
“Ko…Kohaku!?”
 
“…Sis…sister.” He weakly said confused.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru!” A female voice called out as it drew closer.
 
“Rin! Get back here!”
 
Sesshomaru didn't move as he tried to figure out Tenseiga's reasons for wanting to save the boy. This wasn't boding well. The sword would be better off as scrap he often knew it as. Rin came to a halt beside Sesshomaru and observed Kohaku. It didn't take her long to piece together what happened.
 
“You saved Kohaku m'lord?” Rin asked curiously.
 
“Impossible! Lord Sesshomaru wouldn't save two humans in his lifetime!” Jaken stated.
 
Sesshomaru remained quiet as Sango hugged Kohaku tightly while crying. Turning, he began to leave. Unable to stand all the human emotions flying about. Rin didn't budge however as she smiled upon seeing Kohaku alive and ok. The demon lord paused and turned his eyes to look back at the young girl. Normally he wouldn't care, but given the circumstances he was curious to see why Rin was so interested in the boy. Especially one that tried to kill her. He wasn't sure why he even cared. Sango and Kohaku stood, still locked in an embrace as Sango cried once again with happiness.
 
`Such human emotions… it's almost revolting.'
 
“Thank you Sesshomaru. On behalf of all of us.” Miroku said.
 
“Humph. Rin-”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Come along.”
 
“Hai!” Happily she turned and followed Sesshomaru and Jaken as they began to depart. Miroku silently thanked them again as he turned his attention to InuYasha and Kagome. True enough, Sesshomaru saving Kohaku was quite unexpected. Further more, InuYasha's actions as of late have also raised a bit of uncertainty. The two dog-demons were truly unique to say the least. Bowing his head, he quietly prayed for the miko's sake. He was having a hard time accepting the reality of the situation. It just seemed too surreal. Cautiously, he began to make his way over to the emotionless hanyou. Something about his aura seemed different. Though Miroku couldn't quite tell what the said difference was.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
A low growl was heard as Miroku approached. With each step the growl became louder and more threatening. Pausing, Miroku questionably looked at InuYasha. This was definitely an odd action. His aura was rather chilling.
 
“Come InuYasha… Kagome-”
 
“Stay away damn you!” He said harshly and very threateningly. Slightly baring his fangs in warning.
 
Miroku sighed and backed off a little. Their disturbance caught Sesshomaru's attention just before he made the tree line. He paused to observe. His younger brother stood, still holding the young miko in his arms. While the monk kept his distance, trying to consol the hanyou. InuYasha's face was still covered by his hair. His emotions concealed from everyone around him. Turning, Sesshomaru approached his brother. A low growl erupted again from InuYasha when he sensed a presence drawing closer.
 
“You bastard…”
 
“Know your place half-breed. If you truly wanted to be any sort of a demon, you wouldn't care about any of these mere mortals.”
 
Miroku stayed quiet. Sesshomaru was a demon that just saved Kohaku. Perhaps there was another reason for reviving Kohaku. Perhaps Sesshomaru wasn't quite `saving' Kohaku. Either way now wasn't the time to talk. InuYasha seemed to almost flinch as he became rather quiet. The muscles of his arms appeared to loosen up and relieve their tension.
 
“I……Kagome…she didn't deserve to die.” InuYasha said, his head sinking lower. His tone lessoning from its previous harshness. Sounding almost defeated.
 
“She wouldn't have if you didn't fail in protecting her. You promised her that you'd protect her- …And you failed! A worthless half-breed like you can never hold his promise!”
 
Miroku half-expected InuYasha to set Kagome down and attack his brother. Instead InuYasha remained completely motionless.
 
“Know your place you worthless half-breed!”
 
“Now hold on-” Miroku finally spoke up, unable to take it any longer. Sesshomaru was being way too hard on him. InuYasha was already unstable as it was. He really didn't need his half-brother riding him into the ground with guilt. Besides, he was a friend. Hard-headed and stubborn, but a friend nonetheless.
 
“No…he's right. …I …I am a worthless half-breed. …I…I failed. Not once…but three times. I failed to protect Kikyo twice. …and I failed to protect Kagome.” He said with a rather low tone. Dejection was really clear in his voice. Sesshomaru's words seem to have sunken in. And sunk in deep. He brushed past Miroku and one-handed, retrieved his forgotten sword. The very sword he used to protect her life time and time again. And the lives of the rest of them.
 
InuYasha slowly turned and carried Kagome off into the woods in the direction of Kaede's village. He just had to get out of there. Away from the spot Kagome fell. The spot she was slain. Miroku and Sesshomaru watched as he slowly disappeared from sight. Neither one made a move to stop him. Upset, Miroku turned to the demon lord.
 
“Why did you do that?”
 
“He brought this upon himself. The dead one, Kikyo, had warned him of the girl's danger. Yet he didn't heed her words.”
 
“Kikyo? You mean to tell me that Kikyo warned InuYasha if this?” Miroku said, not quite believing he heard right, `When did that happen? Could it have been that night Kikyo came to see us? She never mentioned Kagome being in danger…'
 
“Indeed.”
 
“Then tell me, why did you save Kohaku?”
 
“Humph. I owed it to the woman for returning Rin safely.”
 
“I see.” Miroku didn't fully believe that was the real story. After all, he, Sango, even Shippo was there when Kikyo spoke with them two weeks ago. And they haven't seen her since. But there was nothing more he could go on to perhaps prove it wrong. He'll just have to leave it at that.
 
Without another word, Sesshomaru turned and left the battlegrounds behind. Jaken and Rin quietly followed in behind their lord as they departed together. Miroku sensed that InuYasha's distress was far from over. Reality began to heavily set in upon him. Kagome, a dear friend of his, was gone. Killed by Naraku. He looked to his right hand. He no longer felt his cursed Wind Tunnel. Normally he'd be celebrating. But at the loss of a friend, now was hardly the time.
 
“We have to try and talk some sense into him.” Miroku said to himself as he gathered the large chunk of the sacred jewel along with the three stray fragments. Nearby he noticed a small vial. The last shard. The one Kagome gave her life to protect. He picked it up and looked through the glass at the pink fragment.
 
`All this over the damned jewel…' He thought to himself as nearby Kouga was dragged away by Ginta and Hakkaku.
 
 
Very early in the morning, Miroku, Sango, Kohaku, and Shippo arrived at Kaede's village. All seemed quiet and peaceful in the cool dawn air. Shippo rode on Miroku's shoulder as he tried to stay strong and not cry. But it was rather futile. To him, Kagome was like his stepmother. She treated him well and in turn he tried to protect her when he could. It saddened him to be left out of the battle with Naraku, but she said it was for his safety. At least, that's what she intended. It did make him feel a little better knowing that she was watching over him. And perhaps she still was.
Kaede was outside her hut, waiting for their arrival.
 
“Ah, Lady Kaede.” Miroku greeted.
 
“How is he?” Sango asked.
 
“InuYasha? I am unsure. He won't let anyone near Kagome. I was able to purify most of the miasma still in her body from a close distance, even though she is no more. But at least it'll keep her from melting away.” Kaede said, looking visibly drained. Kagome's spiritual powers may have resisted the toxic miasma, but it was just too strong for her to fully overcome.
 
“I see.”
 
“First it was my sister Kikyo; and now Kagome. I am grateful that the madness is finally over. But at what cost?”
 
“Indeed. Naraku has slaughtered many innocent people over these past years. Kohaku, his and Sango's family, and Kagome are among them.”
 
“Aye, and my dear sister as well.” She turned her head to look back at the doorway to her hut. “It's a shame such a vibrant and youthful child has been slain.”
 
“Kagome really was unique.”
 
“Aye. And I do think that perhaps she was a good influence on InuYasha. He really has changed from the selfish and heartless demon I once knew him as all those years ago.”
 
“Kagome really has been a positive influence on us all.” Miroku said with a slight smile on her behalf.
 
“I just wish there was some way we could save her.” Sango said with a sigh.
 
“I doubt Sesshomaru will revive Kagome like he did Kohaku.”
 
“What about the jewel?” Kohaku wondered, visibly worn out after the ordeal with his sister.
 
Kaede shook her head. “Kagome is a priestess. She cannot use the jewel on her own behalf like that. Thus is why my sister Kikyo couldn't purge herself from the jewel, as she desired. Nor was she able to save her own life.” `Although, Kagome is already slain… she wouldn't be able to use the jewel anyway.'
 
“So there's no other way?” Shippo asked. The hurt was evident in his voice.
 
“I know of no real way to revive those from the dead.” Kaede said. “If such a way exists, I fear dire consequences may await.”
 
“…I'm gonna find a way.” Came a voice from in behind Kaede. In the doorway of the hut stood InuYasha. He looked forlorned and deeply lost in his own mind. But that was to be expected. Stepping forth he stood by Miroku. Sango looked closely at him.
 
“I'll protect the Jewel Shards. I can at least do that.” He said with a hint of hurt in his voice. Sango picked his tone up and wondered.
 
“Don't let Sesshomaru get to you InuYasha. We all know you're capable of protecting all of us. You've proven yourself a strong person.” He said trying to cheer up InuYasha as he handed him the large fragment of the jewel along with the four stray shards. One shard rested still in its rather new glass vial. Clutching them in his hand, InuYasha put them aside in his kimono. The compliment did nothing to lighten the mood.
 
“…Tomorrow, I'll travel back to Kagome's time. …I have to…I have to tell her mother what happened. It's the least I can do.” He said bowing his head not looking forward to the visit. This just had to be one of the hardest things he's ever done. But it was something that needed to be done. He felt like he owed it to her.
 
`Something just doesn't seem right.' Sango thought. `InuYasha and Kikyo met not too long ago. Whatever happened, Kagome was bothered deeply by it. InuYasha didn't seem all too concerned by her actions either. Yet, why is he showing concern now?'
 
Miroku stood by, `Don't be so hard on yourself InuYasha. Even if Kikyo had actually warned you, you still had the confidence and belief that you could protect Kagome. …We all did.'
 
 
Poor Kagome. Naraku may have been slain, but he took with him Kagome and Kohaku. Although Kohaku was saved by Sesshomaru of all people. Now InuYasha is trying to find a way to save Kagome.
 
But the question still remains…what happened on that night between InuYasha and Kikyo? Sesshomaru could possibly know seeing as to how he knows something the others don't…
InuYasha is really being hard on himself isn't he? He did promise Kagome though…
 
What's gonna happen next? …all I know is, you can sometimes expect the unexpected. Especially with me. Please review! It'd make a nice birthday gift. ^_^
 
-King RTS-I'm the King of My World!