InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King and I ❯ OUCH ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

*
*
*
***
***
*
*
*

"All I need to know is one thing, Father, and I will accept the terms."
"What do you need to know?"

Kikyo smiled, a rare and rather unnerving sight, a coy look in her eyes.

"Is he cute?"

Her father, the lord King, rolled his eyes, not believing that he was actually going to have to answer such a question. But his youngest daughter was set in her ways, and would settle for no less.

"He's gorgeous, a veritable God amongst men. Does this please you?"
"I do hope you're not joking, because I did happen to pick up on your ill-disguised sarcasm. But yes, your answer does please me. I'll agree to marry him, and on your life, you better be telling me the truth."

Her words were threatening, as always, but he'd long grown used to it. He breathed a sigh of relief as she left the throne room, fanning herself though the night was actually a bit chilly.

"Where did I go wrong? My firstborn was never this hard to…no wait, she was, wasn't she? Rotten girl, gone and run off on me. Just like she did."

He fisted his hand at the mere thought of the woman who should have been his queen. But she'd left him, breaking her honorable contract, for the Inu-youkai who happened to rule the neighboring kingdom. It was ridiculous, and a slap in the face.

Revenge had always been the one thing he'd set his mind on, and for years he dreamed of stealing her back. But once she'd born her first son to that Dog, he knew there was no way to do so. Izayoi was gone from the world of the living now as well. That was another hitch in the plan…

"My Lord Naraku- I have news from the Western Kingdom."
"Go ahead," he mumbled, not even bothering to look from the roaring fire before him to see who was speaking. But from the monotonous voice, it was only obvious.

"It seems the Lord Ryuukoutsei has been banished from his homeland, for an attempt on King Inuyasha's life. He has requested aid from both the South and the East, but they have denied him amnesty. Now he seeks refuge in your lands. My lord, what is your reply?"

He watched the flames lick the air above the glowing embers, half chocking on the words he knew he had to utter.

Oh, what an unjust life, to practically bow to the young king, the one he was currently asking his daughter to marry.

"Tell him to seek aid on the lowest depths of hell. I can't take in a traitor of the land I need to join, Kanna. Now leave me, I'm pissed."

He heard the rustle of her clothing as she bowed and left the room.

Kikyo was a beautiful girl. After all, she was his daughter, he thought with a bitter laugh.

No doubt she would be able to win over the hanyou ruler, successfully joining the two kingdoms. Oh, but how it stung, what harsh blows to his pride. Who could have known the boy would turn out to be such a fine ruler, while he, a man of great military and political skill, could hardly turn a profit in his own lands?

"I'm but a plaything for the Gods; amusement at my suffering. Curse them all."

In a fit of anger, he tossed the marriage proposition he'd been working on into the dancing flames. As the paper scattered into ashes, he desperately wished his ill-fortune would follow suit,

and simply melt away

*
*
***
***
*
*
*

Mud.

Could there be anything more complex?

To many, it was simply an annoyance, an eye-sore, and something to be avoided while walking or riding.

But to me, it was a paradox of mind-blowing proportions. Just think about it!

Here, you had what was literally the dirtiest substance on the earth; then, it mixed with what was unquestionably the cleanest substance to create yet another substance.

And there you had it-Mud.

As I watched Miroku carefully hopping from rock to rock, avoiding the muddy road at all costs, I wondered if perhaps I was the only one who actually liked the feel of the stuff squishing between his toes. I'd always been told I was an odd child.

"My Lord, You should-"
"Stop calling me that, asshole! You trying to get me killed?!"

The monk faltered in his footing, mostly in reaction to his own slip up .

"My mistake!"

"Stop being such a girl, and walk like normal. It comes off you know."
"Inuyasha, have you noticed how I'm the one who's clean and dry, and rather far ahead, while you're bogged down and miserable looking, far behind me? I believe it may be because of my common sense, avoiding the cold, wet mud. But, please, I could be wrong. I claim to be no expert on the matter."
I didn't answer with words, instead choosing a good handful of the muck aimed at his back. I threw, but missed by about a good ten feet. Maybe I was a little far behind…

Traveling had gone much slower than we'd anticipated. Leave it us to embark on the first day of the rainy season, through the country which had yet to stone pave its merchant roads. Naraku was a little behind on the times to simply leave such a thing as a trade route go to veritable ruin.

Not to mention, Miroku was having a bit of trouble navigating us through the foreign country. Wait, better rephrase that as, he was having trouble bullshitting his way as a navigator. The asshole had never stepped foot on Northern soil, contradicting his claim to be such a worldly traveler.

"Bastard. Won't even stop for directions. Safety hazards my ass. He's the one who keeps fucking calling me Lord…"

Not long after nightfall, we reached a rural town, but one still civilized enough to have a fairly large inn.

After I'd had a quick rinse of my clothes in the river (which was pointless, since it started to rain not a moment after I'd stepped out), we headed for the center of town to find shelter for the night.

Walking through the village, I noticed the differences between my land and this one. The homes were built a little lower, and the streets were much wider than back home. Almost every home was built within a few feet of a tree, which was then utilized in some way into the structure. It was rather ingenious for the summertime, as shade was provided from almost all angles; but the taller trees were far enough from the houses so that any snow falling from the boughs in winter would not land on the roofs. I had to admit, I was pretty impressed.

"Not too bad for a trade route hub, eh?" Miroku nudged me as he noticed my observations.

I merely nodded, and turned my attention to getting out of the drizzle. I was tired, hungry and getting pretty annoyed at being so wet.

Stupid mud…

*

The inn was easy enough to find, and Miroku secured us a room in no time. While it was being set up for us, we ate, and rested ourselves by the fire.

Apparently, Miroku needed very little rest, because the moment a pretty kimono came within a stone's throw, he was back on his feet, with his charm set on high. I barely registered him leaving, and instead concentrated on the half empty dish of sake before me.

It was all starting to hit me now. Just making the plans of finding a wife were easy enough. But now I was out here, actually doing it. I'd journeyed into a place where just being me would probably ensure my speedy execution much to the delight of Naraku, only to woo some female from his court, and therefore unite our lands against his will.

But still, I was prepared to deal with the man. It was the woman I was worried about.

I continued to contemplate my fate, when a curious, sweet smell wafted in the air, as the mat of the door was pushed aside. I listened as someone entered, and the scent only got stronger.

I suddenly noticed that the loud voices of men in the room had hushed somewhat. Then, in the near silence, I heard the golden voice of my lecherous companion.

"My lady, you looked chilled this evening. Might I suggest you remove your-,"

*SLAP!*

"-wet clothes?"

Another sharp smack rang out, and the other men erupted in a bout of laughter at the monk's well-deserved misfortune.

Glancing up at the host's face, I saw his amused eyes trained on whoever was approaching the long table I sat at. I followed his gaze, and at that moment, I simply froze.

I'm still not exactly sure what happened to me, why I suddenly found it so hard to breathe. But I do remember the way my chest began to burn, the way my mouth went dry and rather slack. I also remember the way my eyes stung as I basically forgot to blink.

I remember that all I could do was stare.

She walked proud, her head held high, brow set in defiance and a hint of annoyance. Large, liquid brown eyes bejeweled a porcelain face, which was framed in turn by long ebony hair. My eyes settled on her lips, full and slightly pink, matching the faint flush on her cheeks from the cold.

As she drew nearer, I looked down over her body, clad in a rather damp white and green kimono, the fabric tightly hugging her attractive curves.

She was walking right towards me.

Suddenly, my heart began to pound, and the wonderful scent I'd noticed before made itself known. It belonged to her…

She was beautiful. Beautiful on a level I'd only held my mother to. That's why I practically ogled her as she sat down next to me.

She gestured wordlessly for the innkeeper to pour her a drink, which he quickly produced. She picked up the dish with little care for grace, and took a long gulp. She set it back down roughly, a few drops of the clear liquid spilling onto the rough wood of the table.

Then she looked right at me.

My only consolation was that Miroku later told me I didn't look half as stupid as I thought I did at that moment. But she'd furrowed her brow nonetheless, and with a rather unladylike snort, asked me,

"What the fuck are you looking at?"

It took another dose of surprise to shock me out of that state, and I immediately wet my mouth, and made a move to answer.

Except nothing came out. I just gawked, my now lowered eyes probably ten times wider than they'd been the first time I'd seen her.

I could see right through the top of her kimono…

She followed my gaze downwards, and with a squeak, covered her chest from my sight. Then her head snapped back up, and she shot me an angry glare. I swallowed hard, waiting to see what she'd say.

She didn't say anything; instead, she threw the dish of sake in my face, and stormed past me, towards the door she came in through.

If I'd actually been as human as I looked, my reflexes would have failed me, and I'd of been in complete agony with alcohol in my eyes. Instead, I fell into a sneezing fit, the smell driving my sensitive nose haywire.

"Fucking Bitch!"

I frantically wiped the foul stuff from my face, and jumping to my feet, rushed out the door after her.

Outside, I lifted my face to the falling rain for a second, before scanning the wide empty street for any sign of green and white. I spotted her some ways down, stomping through puddles like some pissed off bull. I followed.

"Oi!"

She didn't reply.

"Oi, Bitch, I'm talking to you!"

She continued on her way, even though I was now only a few feet behind her.

"Stop walking you stupid Bitch, I'm talking to you!"

She did indeed stop, but only to spin around on her heel and take a swing at my face. I just barely caught her wrist before she made contact.

"Let go of me!"

"No, now why the fuck did you throw that shit at me?!"

"Fuck you! You were staring at my breasts you fucking pervert!"

I opened my mouth to deny it, but my brain stopped me, realizing I had in fact been staring at them. It wasn't like I could lie about it.

"Well…what the hell is wrong with you? Walking into a damn inn like that, soaking wet and unescorted? You should know better than to-AHH! SHIT!!"

Before I could react, she'd brought her knee straight up into my crotch, effectively halting the lecture I'd had in store for her. The last thing I remembered was falling to the ground as waves of pain rolled through my body, and watching her run away into the hazy distance.

*
*
*
****
****
*
*
*
*
I loved this chapter, cracked myself up. Poor Inuyasha, that must've hurt!

Anywho, Kagome will be a little more bitchy than I usually make her, but with good reason.

If you've noticed, I like to use various characters from the series in my fics, so expect a lot of cameos. If I can't think of a good name for a minor OC, I usually turn to the credits for the series or the movies, but every name will come from something to do with Inuyasha. *shrugs* just my thing…

As for the setting, think of a cross between the Middle Ages in the West and the Sengoku Jidai. I don't know jack about ancient Japan, and a lot more about European History, so expect some discrepancy. Then again, settings aren't really the focus of my stories, are they?

Thanks for reading!

~Sabichan~