InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King and I ❯ I'll take that as a no... ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7

 

 

When we'd reached the hut, Kagome had gone about preparing a meal, enough for all of us. As we ate, Miroku finally chiseled a crack in the ice around her, and she began to warm up to him a little more.

 

I was concerned at the jealously I felt when he made her laugh at one point. But I was more confused by the warm, reassuring smile she flashed me right afterwards. Like she had known…

 

The subject of her being miko was never approached.

As it grew later, she offered to let us stay with her, since the other four rooms of the hut were empty.

 

"I hope we're not displacing you."

"Not at all. This house is designed for me to share. Please, have a good rest. I know you have a bit of a journey ahead of you tomorrow."

 

As Miroku retired, I made no move to follow. He flashed me a sideways glance but said nothing.

 

We were alone again.

 

I was a bit at a loss. Her words had reminded me that even though I'd grown so accustomed to her presence, and so comfortable in her home, I would have to be on my way in the morning. There was still the matter of my search for a wife, and I could not afford to waste anymore time here. Sesshomaru could only hold up for so long.

But it didn't feel like I'd wasted time at all.

 

I liked it here.

 

 

"What's troubling you?"

I snapped to attention at the soft sound of her voice. She was changing the bandage on the girl's head, not even looking up at me.

 

"I'm just thinking. About what I have to do when I reach the capital." I did my very best not to stare…but she was beautiful illuminated by the light of the dancing fire.

Finally she spared me a glance.

 

"If you want to speak, don't hesitate. It's not like you."

 

"How would you know? We only met yesterday."

Her only response was a small smile, one that told more than I'm sure she ever intended.

 

"What about you? Shouldn't you rest too?"

"I'm used to tending to others through the night. It's no problem for me. And there will be no harvesting tomorrow. The children don't need to be looked after."

 

"What will you do? When she wakes up, I mean."

 

"I'll do what I can. If she has no one, and no one claims her, she'll stay with me. It would be nice to have someone to share this home with. It's so empty until the winter season comes around. I could use the help too."

 

"So you'll take her in, just like that? Like a daughter?"

"Why not? It saves me the trouble of marrying to get children of my own." She joked. I chuckled, but was still troubled by her words. I took a leap of faith, and asked her.

 

"So then…you don't plan on such a thing?"

"What? Marriage?"

"Yes." She frowned, and shook her head.

 

"I…I don't think I could. This is my life, and all of my time is devoted to it. It would be…a distraction to have a husband as well. I couldn't choose a man over those who need me."

I was quiet, reflecting on what she'd revealed.

 

"And if he were to support this? If he wanted to help you?"

"I don't know any man like that here."

"But there are so many travelers. You don't think even one of them could be-"

"The only men who pass through here are vagrants, merchants, and drunks. I have no need for any of those. I have no need for any man in general, unless it was a son."

 

I was shocked at the sudden turn in her attitude. That gentle look from her face was gone, and her lips were drawn in a tight line.

I understood then, that my leaving would be the best thing. Not just for the night, but for good.

No matter what feelings I was starting to have for her, no matter what I thought they might mean, she would never have time to even think about returning that. She had no need for a husband, while I was in desperate need of a wife.

 

She would never even consider me to begin with.

 

I should have been prepared from the beginning. She was only a peasant, and there was no way for me to know if she was from any noble blood. She had no family, and most of all, no desire to leave.

I could only hope to find someone like her in the capital, and fulfill my duty to my kingdom, and my promise to my parents.

 

I stood stiffly, and walked over to where she continued to bandage the poor girl.

 

"Thank you for your hospitality Kagome. We'll be out of your way in the morning. If I don't see you, then goodbye. Take care of her."

 

She looked up and dark brown eyes burned fiercely into mine. She was still put off by my earlier questions, but there was a touch of sadness hidden under that anger. I smiled falsely and walked away, glancing back over my shoulder as I turned the corner into the hallway.

 

She didn't even watch me walk away.

 

 

*

**

*

**

*

 

 

The morning came quickly, no matter how much I wished for time to slow. They would be waking soon…

Then they would leave.

 

The girl had slept soundly through the night, and save for her injuries, she was fine. I expected her to recover fully.

 

Sleep began to chip away at the edges of my consciousness, and I yawned wide as the first light of day lit the dark land outside.

 

I wasn't sure how I would act when I saw him. Part of me wanted to apologize for my anger the night before. But the majority of me, the self-preserving part knew that it was all for the best. The sooner he left, the faster this strange feeling would subside.

 

The sooner he would realize that I was not the woman he thought I was. I knew what he had begun to feel for me. He did nothing to hide it, even with the strong waves of denial. Vaguely, I wondered when I'd started to concentrate so hard on his emotions.

 

I yawned again, and decided it would be best to sleep through their departure. I slowly climbed onto the futon beside my young ward, and she unconsciously snuggled up against me. Then she muttered a single word.

 

"Mama…"

 

A rush of emotions flooded through me. I thought back to my conversation with Inuyasha last night.

 

He'd spoken of marriage, and children. He'd spoken of things I'd always wondered if I could ever have in my life. If no one claimed this child, I'd have one of those.

 

But the other…

 

A husband? Would I ever be able to let someone close enough even consider such a thing? Could anyone understand and accept me as I was, with what I could do?

 

`Could he-'

 

 

I cut off the thought before it even finished. No. It wasn't even dream-able. I had chosen his for myself, and all happiness required some sort of sacrifice.

This was mine.

 

I heard the sounds of shuffling from one of the rooms, and felt the vaguely confused aura of Inuyasha. A few moments later, I heard his footsteps approaching.

I shut my eyes, and tried to relax and pretend to be asleep to avoid any encounter with him. No matter how much I at least wanted to say good bye.

 

He walked into the room quietly, stealthily. I felt him come to kneel before the futon, and for a few moments he just sat there.

Uninhibited sadness and longing radiated from him. He didn't want to leave, it was beyond obvious.

Suddenly, a hand brushed gently against my cheek, and I did my very best not to flinch in surprise.

 

It was just a simple caress, feather light and innocent.

 

I valiantly fought the urge to open my eyes. A warm wave of affection replaced his sadness for that brief moment, and then faded gradually until once again only the loneliness remained.

 

Quickly, he left, and I listened as he woke up his holy companion, and not a few minutes later, they were on their way out.

I cracked open my eyes as I heard them approach the door. The monk walked out first, and then Inuyasha began to follow…but paused.

He looked back once, and even from the distance between us, I could see the corners of his mouth turn up ever so slightly as he looked at me.

 

He turned and walked away.

 

I laid in silence for a long time afterwards. When I could no longer feel his or Miroku's aura close by, I sat up.

 

I raised a hand to my cheek he'd caressed so gently. I noticed my hand was shaking, and with good reason.

 

That had been the most intimate touch I'd ever received from a man in my entire life.

 

I'd been groped, grabbed, pinched and mentally undressed. But I'd never been touched so sweetly, so affectionately.

 

Before I realized what I was doing, the tear fell from my jaw line and landed softly on the cloth of my kimono.

 

"It's for the best. Its all for the best." I whispered as I laid back down, cradling the small child like a doll, reassuring myself that I'd done the right thing.

 

I didn't believe a word of it.

 

 

*
**
*
**
*

 

"Kanna! Where is my other sandal?!"

 

"Right here, my lord.

 

Her whisper-quiet voice right behind him made Naraku jump in surprise.

 

"How many times have I told you to stop doing that?!"

 

"I was as loud as I could be, my Lord. I apologize."

 

Though her expression hardly changed, Naraku had long grown used to Kanna's shifts in emotion.

It wasn't her fault really. She was in all honesty, nothing.

She held no scent, made very little noise, and even her voice hardly rose above a whisper.

But she still felt, just like any other entity, human or demon.

 

"Its okay, Kanna. Stop frowning."

"But I'm not frowning, my lord."

 

Rolling his eyes, he took the sandal which she held loosely in her hand.

 

"It's a joke. Never mind, we have far more important things to do. Have you made the preparations for my daughter's journey?"

"Yes, my Lord. I followed Lady Abi's instructions to the letter. The princess should lack nothing."

 

"Good. Where is my wife, then?"

"In the meditation room with the priestess. She is still quite angry about the marriage proposal."

 

"As expected. She coddles that girl too much. And where is my daughter then?"

"She is dressing."

"STILL?! She's been `dressing for nearly two hours! What is so hard about putting on a damn kimono?"

"She likes to look her best in public, my lord."

"Just like her mother…"

 

With a sigh he sat down on the throne to put on his sandal. The look in his eyes was one that only Kanna could translate. He missed his eldest daughter.

Ever since that last confrontation which had led to her disappearance, Naraku's already shaky ruling had taken a turn for the worst. Thus the need for the marriage plan.

 

"All this trouble, because of what I have done. All because I could not accept her for whom she was. Now I'm stuck with the two vainest women in the entire land, and a ghost for an advisor. I've made my own hell. I wish you would come back, Ka-"

 

"Father! I'm ready!"

He raised his head to the voice calling him from the doorway…and sighed.

 

There was no way that Inuyasha could refuse Kikyo. She was vain for a reason-she was heaven incarnate and cunning to match. She would not let him get away.

 

He could not afford to believe anything less.

 

 

"My daughter…your husband awaits."

 

 

 

*
**
***
****
****
***
**
*

Sorry, it's been a while. I'm just barely able to login to MM, and I remembered I had promised Midoriko-sama more of this fic. It's still not a full fledged project, but when "My Will" gets too heavy, I can turn to this. Sorry for the wait-more updates soon.