InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Last of the Wilds ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter1
 
“Kouga's back!”
Voices trailed through the air with excitement as a large group of men and wolves rushed towards an on-coming hurl of debris.
“Welcome home!”
“Thanks, boys.” Said a young man with tanned skin and long black hair that was tied in a pony tail.
“What's the verdict?” asked a stockier man with shorter grey hair. The group waited in silence for an answer.
The young man smirked, “Victorious.”
A loud cheer roared through the valley as the men celebrated.
“Naraku's dead!” cried one.
“Our men have been avenged!” cried another.
Kouga's smirk turned to a full grown smile at the sight of his gleaming men. They cheered, they danced, some even cried tear of joyous relief.
“It's finally over…” said a man just younger than Kouga with shirt, uncontrollable grey hair.
“You said it…” replied another man, same age as the other with a Mohawk protruding from his skull.
It's finally over… the words repeated in Kouga's head. Its over…His smile seemed to fade as he made his attempt to escape the large gathering, but at what cost?
 
Indeed the battle was won- Naraku was defeated, and the shikon jewel was restored, and most importantly, his men were avenged.
But what difference does it make?
It wasn't going to bring his men back from the dead. It wasn't going to return the feeling of the wind combing his hair whenever he ran, with jewel shards imbedded in his legs. It wasn't going to change the girl's mind about the half breed. Kagome…
No, it wasn't.
It's over, but what did that mean exactly? Were things supposed to return to the way they were before? A life with the gut-wrenching guilt upon his shoulders? A life with fighting for nothing more than territory and day-to-day survival? A life without a love for his own? Without Kagome?
The young wolfen prince gave a sigh entering his den.
And perhaps, regrettably, a life without adventure.
 
The coming night brought more dancing, cheering and celebration of all sorts. A huge fire brought not only heat to the people, but warmth to the heart of those around it, laughing, talking, and sharing memories of times long passed.
Kouga found himself outside the circle of happiness, where the glow of the flame barely reached him, and he felt the chilling presence of reality set in.
So after all this…what now? He asked himself.
“It's not healthy for the alpha to separate himself from his own pack…” said a soothing, wise feminine voice.
Kouga looked down to a petite brown wolf beside him. She had become lighter in colour since Kouga saw her last; the day his announced his was leaving.
He stood there, silent.
“You seem as though there was no victory after all…” she said to him again, sitting at his side.
“I don't feel like there was…” he said softly in return.
“How so?”
“We've lost more than we've gained…” he said, staring off into the so close, yet so distance delirium. Kouga couldn't help put think of the pain his wise pack mate must have gone through, and he knew it was because of him. He knew it was because of him, her mate was dead, and many other family members.
“Avenging them hasn't brought them back…”
“We have lost a great deed, Kouga, but we have gained so much in return.” She began in a strong voice, “We have gained strength from the core of this pack- strength from our leader. You have proved us not only as our Alpha, but have proven us as a pack. You've gained the maturity, and rightful duty to lead us.”
He looked at her with piercing blue eyes, “I could have stopped it all from happening…He wouldn't have died if it wasn't for m-”
“He had a will of his own, as did the others; they chose their own fate. It's time for you to stop blaming yourself.” She stopped him, and returned the stern look. Kouga looked away, maybe she's right…
“Don't deny yourself this,” she started again, “They're celebrating because it's over. It's time for you to do the same.”
He smirked.
“You're too good to me.” He said, walking along side her into the group.
The female wolf watched as her young alpha truly ended the battle. He danced, he laughed, and he celebrated the way he should.
 
The Fires of hilarity lasted long into the night, ending near the break of sun. Kouga found himself catching on some much needed, much desired sleep he had been deprived of for quite some time; he didn't rise until well into the day.
Eventually, the young wolf prince emerged from his den to be greeted not only by the smiles of his pack, but with the bright rays of the sun.
“Kouga!” called a familiar voice; Ginta came running from the tops of the cliff, “Kouga!” he called again.
“What is it?”
“We've just received word of the elders from the northern tribe. They're moving our way to speak with you.” Ginta finished, panting.
“Is that so?” Kouga asked as he cupped his chin in thought.
“Kouga?” asked Hakkaku, “You don't think they're coming here to talk to you about your sudden departure…do you?”
“That'd make sense…you did leave just after half their tribe was slaughtered by Naraku...” Ginta added.
Kouga said nothing; he stood there, remaining in his train of thought. He smirked, “We'll cross that bridge when we get there.” He said, “But for now, I want updates. What's happened since I've been gone?” he asked aloud to his pack. Both Ginta and Hakkaku raised a brow in confusion; `did our Kouga just say that?' said the look in their eyes.
“Well…the deer as starting to migrate a little further south…” said one man.
“The Bear tribe have begun to move aswell…”
“Bear tribe?” Kouga asked inquisitively.
“Yeah, there's been little word on the matter…but our guess is territory or food.” added another man.
“We'll have to keep an eye on that…if what's going around is true, I don't want anyone leaving here without someone to get his back…We have yet to tangle with the bear clan, but if territory is what they want, they'll be aggressive about it, and they won't stop at our boarders.” Kouga announced to his tribe, “The last thing we need is to fight the bear clan. Although we outnumber them by many, they are strong and can take more than one man to take them down.”
His tribe listened in attentively; there was something different about their alpha. It was a new sense of duty, responsibility, courage, strength. Maturity…yeah…he thought to himself as he stood proud amongst his men, who seemed to show a different kind of look in their eyes- respect, not fear.