InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Last of the Wilds ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

­Chapter2
 
The day went by smoothly; there was peace amongst the wolf tribe. Kouga made his rounds through the valley, making sure everything was settle. He nearly forgot about his expected visit from the northern elders.
“Kouga!” called Hakkaku, “They're here!”
Kouga's head turned in his direction. With the falling sun, he saw the silhouette of three men and four wolves.
“Greet our brothers from the north!” called a voice in the distance as Kouga made his way to the opening of the valley.
Kouga bowed his head to his guests and stood proudly against the beating red sun.
“Young Alpha…” said one of the wolves; it was a male with an aged look in his eyes, “we are grateful for your safe return.”
“Thank you,” he said sternly, “what can I help you with?”
“We have come to discuss the future of our tribes.”
Kouga took the elders into his valley; they sat at the very place the fire had burned the previous night. Eventually, the sun had set fully, and the fire lit up once again.
“Since the unfortunate passing of our brothers many months passed, we have noticed that our numbers have decreased greatly…” the old wolf began, “I'm sure you've noticed the same?”
Yes, he had; he noticed that even his pack stood in great number, they were lower than usual. Kouga gave a nod as he sat with his elbows on his knees, fingers intertwined. Ginta and Hakkaku stood behind him.
“Well, we feel it would be prosperous if our northern pack and your eastern pack…joined forces, so to say.” The old man was beating around the bush, Kouga could tell. He knew there was little northern tribe left, after the massacre at Naraku's castle. Most, if not all of the men from the north had come to get the jewel shards. The north was suffering in number; but could he let them join forces? That would mean more mouth's to feed; there wasn't a lot of game in the area as it was. And what if their tribe didn't get along with his, and vice versa? And territory, were the northern tribe suppose to give up their lands to them? And pecking order; oh yes, the pecking order, was Kouga to bow down to the Northern alpha? His first thought on the matter was no way in hell.
He sat in silence, sorting out the variables.
“Well?” asked one of the men, impatient for an answer.
“Who is your leader?” Kouga asked; he knew the former alpha had been killed, but surely they had their beta. The group stood in silence, the northern men looked at each other, almost offended.
“I want to know who your leader is before I make any decisions; I'm not going to make my pack bow down to someone who can't handle-” Kouga was interrupted by the old wolf.
“Alpha Rei.”
Kouga knew the question had to be asked, “Who's to bow to who? How do I know he is worthy to-?”
“She.” Interrupted the old wolf, “She's our alpha female.”
Kouga wasn't going to deny himself the shock value; she? Hmh. He could even sense the shock in his men behind him. He sat in silence again.
“Kouga…she sent us here because we need help…” said one of the younger men accompanying the old wolf.
“Maybe we should take up their offer Kouga…” Ginta whispered.
“Yeah…they helped us battle the birds of paradise…” added Hakkaku
“True…” Kouga mumbled, staring at the ground, search for answers. He then raise his head and looked the old wolf in the eye, “I want to see what we're getting ourselves into; I want to talk with your alpha one on one. I want the full story.” Kouga said standing up. The northern tribe were close allies to his clan, but Kouga wasn't going to jeopardise anything, not this time.
“Very well,” said the old wolf, “we will inform our alpha of your response. You will hear from us within the next day or two.” Standing up, the old wolf and his pose headed for the exit, as Kouga escorted them out. Whilst the others went ahead into the fields, the younger one remained behind.
“We're not trying to screw you over, Kouga,” he began, “she's just trying to do what's best for her pack.”
Kouga gave a light hearted smirk, “Yeah, I understand.” And the young wolf demon set off with the others.
Ginta and Hakkaku, along with a few other men, joined Kouga as they watched they're brother's march off into the distance.
“I think that went over rather well.” Ginta said cheerfully.
“Yeah, but they're really hurting…” Hakkaku added.
“What're you going to do Kouga?”
“I'm not making any irrational decisions yet, but I can't see the harm in helping them get back on their feet.” He said, “I'll have to see the severity of the situation.” He walked away from the dark entrance as his men tagged along behind him.
 
A few days had passed, and still no word from the north. Kouga had made it his soul duty to protect his pack and keep things orderly. The homecoming was a little more work then he expected, but now he could rest, at least for a minute. He sat at the river bank and watched as a few rowdy males spare on the other side.
“Hey, hey, just think,” started one of them, “with few of their men left, there's gotta' be loads of chicks!”
They went off laughing at the matter. As rude as the comment was, it hardly phased Kouga. Women hardly passed through his mind anymore, although the thought of Kagome sparked up every once in a while. A shame really, it was too bad she had chosen Inuyasha over him, although something in the back of his mind wasn't surprised. Wasn't exactly the greatest first impression, he joked with himself. The pain he felt wasn't as bad as he thought it would be; somehow, the thought of her happy helped him focus on what was really important to him- his real family.
He sat there, and starred into the ripples of the river; they seemed to hypnotize him, throwing him into a state of nothingness.
Kouga…called a distant voice.
“Hm?”
“Kouga!” one of his tribe mates rushed to him.
“What is it?”
“The northern tribe has given their approval.” he said stopping as Kouga stood.
“Alright,” he said, giving a loud whistle to get his tribe's attention, “Word from the North has reached, this means I'm heading up there for a bit! Jiro,” Kouga called to the man beside him, “I'm leaving you in charge. If anything happens, I'll be down as soon as I can. Ginta, Hakkaku, you're coming with me.” Turning his head away from Jiro, and back to him again, “I'll be back in about four or so nightfall's.”
Ginta and Hakkaku made their way to Kouga, weapons in hand.
“Well, boys,” Kouga began, throwing his arms around their necks and walking forward, “who's up for a little run?”
“Aww'common!” They both cried as Kouga let them go and gained the head start. The two men sighed as they began with a light jog to catch up to him.
 
The travel there was easy; there was one rainfall, but nothing serious. Kouga, Ginta and Hakkaku had made it to the northern area unharmed, though tired and a bit hungry.
“A full day's travel,” he started entering the tribe's rough terrain, “not bad but I think we can do better…” he said sarcastically to the two men behind him, who had just caught up to him as he finished his sentence.
They panted, “Tell me we're here…” Ginta said as he held himself up but resting his arms to his thighs.
Kouga ignored his tribe mate as he began scaling the rocky, mountainous area. It wasn't long until the scent of wolf had become so strong it almost felt like he was back at home.
“So you decided to show up after all?” said a familiar voice. Kouga hardly took notice to the young man standing on the rock above him; it was that same man who had travelled with the elder. He stood looking down at Kouga with the most sickening of grins; Kouga was tempted to smack it right off.
“Well, if you want I can leave.” Kouga threw back sarcastically.
“The Alpha is expecting you,” the man laughed, “the cavern is just this way…”