InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Last Thing I Need ❯ Act I Scene 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N:
Author: L-arc-en-ciel-chick
Email: LArcEnCielChick@aol.com (for now)
URL:
http://www.fanfiction.net/myimaginaryinuyasha
Rating:
T
Warnings:
Language and OOC characters
Pairings:
Inu/Kag, Miroku/Sango
Mini
Summary: Sometimes the last thing you need is the first thing you want. And maybe, you have to fight the world to get it.
Credits:
InuYasha was created and written/drawn by Takahashi Rumiko. It is produced in the USA by VIZ. Romeo and Juliet was written by Shakespeare. I do not claim ownership to anything except my twist to the plotline.
Updates: I have figured out why my lines have been clumped together here on MM, and hopefully I've fixed it. ::crosses fingers::
If anyone is interested in being a second beta reader, let me know. This will be handy when Amaya-chan's computer isn't working again. ^.^

The Last Thing I Need
Starring:
MIIY-chan- author and inventor
Takahashi Rumiko- owner of the characters being used
Shakespeare- inventor of the basis for the plot
Higurashi Kagome & Nakamura InuYasha- main characters, Freshmen
Rukawaii Eri- director, Freshman
Dean Tanaka Kaede- mediator & Dean of Students
Iwahara Sango- Kagome's room mate and close friend, Junior
Ito Miroku- InuYasha's close friend, only human he will speak to, Junior
Onaku Kouga- InuYasha's room mate and sparring partner, Freshman
Torayama Ayumi- Kagome's best friend from High School, Freshman
Onisaki Hojo- Kagome's High School boyfriend, now `just' friends, Freshman
Nakamura SesshouMaru- InuYasha's brother, Senior
Watsuyu Yuka- Another of Kagome's HS friends
Act I: The Xenophobic Feud
Scene 1
She was absolutely sick of it.
It was ridiculous; one of the most prominent demonic clans had a horrible grudge against an almost equally prominent clan of humans. Of course, each hated the other with a passion; and their confrontations had been known to send innocent bystanders running for the hills. Not that she minded, as long as whatever went on was legal.
But they really needed to keep it out of the schools.
The Dean of Students was staring out the window with her fingers touching the other hand's right below her nose. She was pointedly ignoring the two adolescents behind him [her] who were glaring daggers at each other.
She knew that admitting both of them was a mistake, but both of their applications showcased exceptional young people. Both seemed like equally good candidates for the University, but now... She wasn't too sure.
Now, even only six months later, she was greatly regretting her `total acceptance' ideals.
She swiveled the chair around until she was facing the two of them. Both teens snapped to attention, their eyes on her, awaiting the verdict.
The boy on the left was now glaring straight at the Dean, instead of the girl, with his arms crossed. The girl was biting her lower lip and guiltily shifting her gaze all over the Dean's side of the room. She was fiddling with the bottom of her miniskirt, and constantly crossing and uncrossing her ankles.
“I believe you both know why you are here, correct?” The Dean questioned in a no-nonsense sort of way.
The boy rolled his eyes and just answered, “Feh.”
The girl looked fearful for an instant, and then suddenly blurted out, “I'm really sorry, Dean Tanaka, really I am! I didn't mean to do anything, honest! It was just an argument- he did it, I swear!” Just as abruptly, she lapsed back into silence and returned to chewing her lip.
The Dean raised her eyebrows. The boy sent a disparaging glance in the girl's direction and spat out, “You're pathetic.”
“Nakamura-san, I don't believe you quite realize exactly how serious this offense is.”
The boy snorted. “Feh. It's just a little water. Let's get this over with.” He adjusted his position to get more comfortable.
“Nakamura-san, please pay attention. Higurashi-san, please calm down. We have decided not to press charges against either of you. The two of you do owe one quarter of the repair cost each, however. Now, will one of you please explain how this happened? And, please, I'm very interested in how you actually managed it.”
The boy's glare intensified at the mention of owing money that was so clearly a Higurashi's fault. He refused to answer. The girl did the same, thinking something similar. The three sat in silence for a minute.
The girl let out the breath she was holding and straightened up. “Well, Tanaka-sensei, it happened like this . . . ."

Higurashi Kagome woke up to the alarm setting on her iPod blaring “Don't Leave Me” by The All-American Rejects, her current foreign music obsession. Her roommate, Iwahara Sango, slept right through the noise that had woken morning-person Kagome up instantly.
She tried her hardest to be quiet as she gathered her shower items and that day's clothing. Once in the hallway, Kagome whistled a tune while she hiked down the hall to Floor 6's shower. Her pajamas swished slightly, as silk pants tend to do, as she walked down the dim green-painted hallway.
The door opened as she got to it, and her best friend Ayumi exited the shower room clad in jeans and a light pink peasant tunic with her hair in a turban-style towel.
“Good morning, Kagome,” Ayumi smiled cheerfully. “Earlier then usual. What's the occasion?”
Kagome laughed. “I wanted to beat the morning rush today, and I wanted to get to class early to talk with Kujouni-sensei about the Essay she assigned us.”
“Yeah, I've heard Kujouni's essays can be bears. Good luck with that one,” Ayumi bid her friend good-bye as she walked away toward her dorm room.
Kagome entered the shower room and stepped up to a sink along the right-hand wall. She brushed her teeth to get rid of her morning-mouth and used a washcloth and her special face cleanser to clean her face before going to a curtained changing room/ shower combo.
When she was done washing, Kagome returned to the sink and brushed her hair, which she had not washed that morning. She applied her makeup and pulled her hair back into a high ponytail.
Half an hour after entering, Kagome left to head back to her dorm room. She had changed out of her silk `Hello Kitty' pajamas and was now wearing a deep green long sleeved fitted shirt and a denim miniskirt over leggings that matched her shirt.
She met a half asleep Sango on her way back down the hall, who only grunted to Kagome's standard `good morning' chirp.
Kagome checked the clock in the hallway as she passed it and discovered that if she wanted breakfast, she had a lot less time then she thought she did.
Back in the room, Kagome stashed her shower things and grabbed her messenger bag, making sure her laptop, notebooks, and textbooks were present inside. She picked her purse up on her way out the door.

Kagome wound up eating breakfast by herself in the mostly empty cafeteria. She was earlier then the morning rush that she was usually part of, ad the only other people were a couple professors, a small boy with red hair, and a table full of Seniors who were dressed to kill.
Kagome finished her pancakes and scrambled eggs in the silence that surrounded the large echoing room. She went to pick up the notebook that had the questions for her teacher to review it quick, only to discover that it wasn't in her bag. She could see it in her mind's eye: The elusive notebook sat on the corner of her desk underneath Sango's bulky purse.
Sighing loudly in frustration, Kagome picked up her tray and deposited it on the conveyor belt and grabbed an apple from the fruit cart before she picked up her bags and headed back through the piled snow to her dorm.
She entered the building just as the rush was leaving, so she got stuck in the mess and wound up in an elevator headed to the twelfth floor. One the other people in the elevator got out, Kagome went to hit the button for floor six when a person shoved aboard and made her hit seven instead. She glared over at the person, who glanced wearily back and simply said, “Ground Floor, please.”
Kagome sighed again and hit the six and the one.
The elevator took its good old time getting to the seventh floor, which neither of its occupants needed, and Kagome found herself counting away the seconds that she was wasting.
The door finally opened with a `ding' and Kagome dodged to hit the `door close' button quickly before somebody could tell her to wait. Lady Luck was not with her, an arm shot through to hold it open.
The arm's owner was a boy Kagome didn't recognize, but she was fairly sure she had seen him somewhere before. A voice called down the hallway at the arm's owner, and Kagome realized why he looked so familiar.
“Hey, Kouga, hold the door for me, will you?!” The sound of running footsteps followed as the person dashed down the hall. Kagome grit her teeth and steeled herself not to just punch the `door close' button anyway.
A body appeared in the doorway, and was about to enter if he hadn't seen Kagome first.
“You,” Kagome hissed.
“You!” InuYasha spat back. “What are you doing here?”
“Excu-use me for being in my own dorm building! What do you think you are doing questioning me like this? Now get in the stupid elevator so I can get on with my day. I'm in a hurry, and you're not helping!”
“Oh, really? Then maybe I'll just stand here for a while with my foot in the doorway.” He smirked, and Kagome turned an odd reddish-maroon color. InuYasha refused to move, and the three other occupants of the car stood there staring at him with various expressions on their faces.
The person who got on at the twelfth floor was gaping at the three younger students cluelessly, wondering how she got stuck in such a confrontation. Kouga was staring at InuYasha with a disbelieving look and glancing occasionally at Kagome curiously. Kagome was torn between a glare and an incredulous stare.
InuYasha, on the other hand, was looking very pleased with himself. Even if he wound up late for class, and caused two innocent bystanders to be late as well, he didn't mind as long as she got stuck. Kami, he hated her, the little witch.
Kouga finally had enough of his room mate's stubbornness and how it was causing the gorgeous girl next to him to get upset. “Dude, just get in here. I don't know what you're problem is, you moron, but there's somewhere I really need to get to as well, and if you don't get in here, I'll punch your lights out.”
InuYasha didn't move still, and Kouga was winding up a good hit when a thin arm snaked around him to hit his friend square in the eye, effectively sending the boy a good foot out into the hallway.
He held his left hand over his damaged left eye and stared at the fuming girl. “You bitch, what the hell did you do that for?!?”
If Kagome's anger would have lowered a little, she would have felt sorry for the `strong man' who had just been beaten by the `weak girl,' but she didn't really care. “You jerk! You're just like all the others in you're family, aren't you? You're a pompous idiot who has no care for others in the world! Why don't you fall off your pedestal already, believe me, you aren't as cool as you think you are!” Kagome had completely forgotten all about her need to talk to the teacher, and she was totally focused on berating the boy in front of her. Kouga could only stare in disbelief at the girl who had gone from sweet innocence to a raging Amazon in seconds.
Kagome proceeded to yell and advance herself until she was screaming practically a foot in front of him. Had this been any other girl, InuYasha would have taken advantage of the situation and grabbed her. But that was saved for cute girls who didn't belong to a family of lying jackasses. Despite this, he conveniently realized that he had no case, and nothing to yell back at her. He also didn't want to physically harm a girl, no matter how stupid and annoying she was.
As soon as Kagome finished and spun around back to the elevator, which a frozen Kouga was still holding open, InuYasha found his skill of movement. He used his demon-enhanced speed to get in front of her, and without her noticing, he stuck his foot out and tripped her. Kagome had unfortunately still been holding all of her belongings, and she wound up crushed beneath them when she went down.
InuYasha had quickly dashed back to his old spot by the wall and was feigning innocence by the time Kagome had dragged herself back to her feet. She looked at the apple that was still in her hand, and she flung the fruit at him as hard as she could. She whirled on her heel and stormed down the corridor towards the stairs, which, she decided, would be InuYasha-free and faster then waiting for another elevator.
The girl from the twelfth floor gaped at her retreating back, but Kouga was watching the volatile InuYasha who was still fuming in the hallway. Kouga could have sworn he saw InuYasha's eyes turn red for a second, before InuYasha wound up and threw the apple back at Kagome's back.
Because he couldn't think straight, much less see clearly, his aim was a little off. The apple missed Kagome by a good five feet and went sailing straight at the ceiling.
Kagome was safely in the stairway when InuYasha's bad aim had its consequences.
She did, however, hear an alarm go off that sounded suspiciously like the fire alarm and she was suddenly plunged into darkness as the lights shut off. Kagome froze, since she was unable to see anything in the cement-encased stairwell. Emergency lights popped on with a buzz just as the door to the seventh floor opened and a very wet InuYasha, Kouga, and twelfth-floor-girl scrambled in. The girl was crying about something important being ruined and raced down the stairs as fast as possible.
InuYasha was looking even more pissed off then usual, and he didn't even bother to wait for his friend as he stormed down the stairs after the girl. Kagome stared at Kouga in expectation, waiting for any explanation he would offer.
Kouga only sheepishly held out the apple that Kagome had thrown earlier. She didn't take it, only raised her eyebrows. “Short explanation, because we gotta get out of here before the stair sprinklers turn on. `Yash threw your apple back at you, `cept he missed. He hit the fire sprinkler, and it started gushing. I think it set off the whole building, judging by the alarm.”
The two began the hike down the stairs, briefly stopping for Kagome to run into her room for her notebook. She knew there wasn't actually a fire, so she figured she had the time. Kouga had waited for her back at the stairs as she ran through the light chemically-enhanced rain that was pouring into the hallway from the sprinklers.
They were halfway between the fourth and third floors when the sprinklers finally turned on in the stairwell. Kouga kindly placed his jacket over Kagome's head to keep the water off, holding his backpack over his own head.
Outside, there was a large crowd of people gathered around the building wondering what happened. They all crowded around Kagome and Kouga, who were apparently the last people left in the building.

“This,” Kagome concluded, “Is when you arrived with the fire department and dragged us in here.” She had obviously become more relaxed as she spoke, and by now she was the same confidant girl who had yelled at InuYasha earlier.
“Nakamura-san, do you deny what Higurashi-san just said? Now is your only chance to correct any part of her story.” Tanaka Kaede sat patiently waiting for a reply.
InuYasha seemed to contemplate what he should say for a minute before opening his mouth. “She was right, I guess. But I was provoked, it's not like I threw the stupid apple for the heck of it. Come to think of it, girl, I still owe you payback for hitting me in the first place.” He darted out of the chair at the unsuspecting girl when the door to the office opened. The door was located in between their two chairs, since they were against the wall, and InuYasha slammed headfirst into the mahogany door.
“Tanaka-sama,” The administrative secretary said hesitantly, wondering what had hit the door. “Onaku-san is here. Shall I let him in?”
Dean Tanaka was looking to make sure InuYasha was still alive when she offhandedly replied that Onaku-san was part of the case and could enter.
Kagome was trying her hardest to remain in her chair and not to laugh while inconspicuously craning to see what had happened to her nemesis.
The secretary turned around and made a `come on in' gesture to the boy behind her. “Have fun,” she commented as he passed her. She shut the door and sighed in relief to not be in there any more.
Kouga looked around him at the mess. Dean Tanaka was sitting very still in her chair staring at InuYasha, who was sprawled on the floor glaring at Kagome, who was shaking in the effort to not laugh. “Sorry about interrupting. Dean Tanaka, you wanted to see me?”
“Yes, Onaku-san. But you are a little late. You missed the story of events from this morning, but both parties agreed so a witness is not necessary. You may have a seat until I dismiss all of you. Now, you all know that the sprinklers set off. Unfortunately, when Nakamura-san threw the apple, he completely knocked the sprinkler cap off. As we speak, they are still attempting to shut the water off from that sprinkler.
“In case you haven't realized the damage you have caused, Higurashi-san and Nakamura-san, this one sprinkler that has been gushing for about three hours now. It has soaked through down to the first floor, and has temporarily rendered the elevators useless. Students will not be allowed back in their dorm rooms until late this evening, and many will need to be relocated.
“Nakamura-san, because you are responsible for this-“
“Hey!” InuYasha cut in, “She started it!” He had by now managed to pick himself off the floor and return to his chair. He had been listening while glaring at Kagome and his traitorous room mate, Kouga, who was now sitting next to Kagome.
“SIT down, Nakamura-san. No matter who started it, you were the one who caused the damage. Therefore, I am volunteering you to aid in the clean up. Both of you will assist those who are moving and request help. Both of you will also have to participate, active all year, in a club together, and you MUST get along. Otherwise, there will be repercussions. You may pick any club of your choice, and report to me later. I will be checking up on you.
“The bill for the damage you caused will be sent to your rooms, and a letter will be mailed to your parents. I expect the money by the end of the month, no exceptions. Now get to class. My secretary, Monoko-san, will give you passes. Onaku-san, stay a moment please.”
Kagome and InuYasha stood up at the same time, but InuYasha shoved his way ahead, almost knocking her over. Kagome stormed out after him muttering curses under her breath. She slammed the door shut.
Kouga and the Dean sat in silence staring after the pair before he spoke up. “Dean-Tanaka, why did you have me stay behind? I have fairly little to do with this, you know that, right?”
The Dean leaned forward and propped her arms on her desk. “Onaku-san, I asked you to stay in hopes that you could tell me more specifically why they hate each other. I know the general story, most of Tokyo does, but since you are InuYasha's room mate I was hoping you knew more.”
Kouga pondered a moment, wondering if he knew anything that wasn't common knowledge. “Tanaka-sensei, InuYasha doesn't like me too much, and he rarely talks to me if there is no benefit for him in some way. I only know that the two families have been at their miniature war for almost twenty years, and it gets more out of control each year. I probably know less then you because I was raised in Hokkaido, far away from this.”
Dean Tanaka sighed and rested her head on her hands. “Thank you anyway, Onaku-san.” She waved her hand in dismissal. “I'll talk to you later.”
Kouga exited and breathed an immense sigh of relief. He had been expecting to get some of the blame for not stopping them.
Dean Tanaka hit the button on her intercom that connected her with her secretary. “Monoko-san, please send for Iwahara Sango. And please bring me whatever headache reliever we have out there. Thank you.”
That's it for Scene 1!
Hugs, MIIY-chan