InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Last Thing I Need ❯ Act I Scene 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: I own the Painappuru buffet, but not InuYasha. Or Kagome. Or Kouga. Or Miroku. Or anyone else. They all belong to Takahashi Rumiko.

The Last Thing I Need
Act 1 Scene 4
InuYasha hummed a tune to himself as he headed to the only free table in the college cafeteria. Kouga had gotten into an argument in the buffet area with Miroku. Kouga and Miroku always were arguing about something; right now they were fighting over which type of soup was better. InuYasha had given up keeping peace and went to reserve seats instead.
The last table was always a prize to be won; so rarely was there a free space in a packed campus. That was why so many students ate out. InuYasha was within ten feet of the elusive table when some girl darted in front of him and sat down in a huff.
InuYasha stalked up behind the girl, who didn't notice the cloud of wrath that had formed. He coughed to get her attention, but she didn't turn around. “Excuse me,” he said forcefully, “That's my table. I suggest you move. Now.” The girl didn't even turn around; she just waved a hand in the air as a gesture of dismissal.
A growl escaped InuYasha's throat. He HATED humans. Too arrogant for their own good. “Listen girl. You're sitting by yourself. Find a table with one free seat. All of my friends are coming to sit here. Together. So move it.” It was then that he noticed something unfortunately familiar.
The girl began to turn around to confront him, but InuYasha had already realized who it was, tilted his head back, and smashed his fist against his forehead. “Ugh. . . Kagome. . . I do not need you right now. Please leave.”
Before Kagome could properly retaliate, Kouga and Miroku marched up, still mildly arguing. “Oh! Hello Kagome-chan. Fancy seeing you here. Are you sitting with us?”
InuYasha straightened back up and glared at Miroku with a `you traitor!' expression. “Miroku! Do you not realize who this is?”
Miroku looked back at InuYasha with his trademark innocent eyes. “But InuYasha, I'm sorry. I know you hate her and all, but, she's my partner in Ancient History class. We're doing a project on-“ Miroku was cut off as InuYasha grabbed him by his shirt collar.
“That partnership better not have been voluntary, baka, or you'll regret it.” Miroku squirmed on the receiving end of one of InuYasha's infamous glares.
“Don't worry InuYasha. Despite the fact I would usually jump at the chance to work with such a beauty like Kagome here, the teacher assigned the work groups. Our group happened to also contain a couple, so we were left on our own.” Miroku smiled weakly, “So will you please put me down now?”
InuYasha not-so-gently dropped his friend back onto the floor. “Kagome.” He regarded his nemesis with cold calculation, as if she was about to grow another head and attack. “Now that I know it's you, I defiantly want you to leave. By force, if necessary.”
Kagome blankly stared at him. “InuYasha, you horrible person you, there are no other seats here. Look around. Or are you too high and mighty to see down this far?”
Only then did InuYasha sullenly look around and see that indeed, there were no seats. He visibly deflated. However, he wouldn't completely give in, so Miroku was the one who had to tell Kagome that she could stay. Kagome and InuYasha spent the entire first course glaring at each other.

The table made the unanimous decision to send InuYasha to get the desserts from the dessert cart. Miroku and Kouga sent him because it was his turn, but Kagome sent him because she was only too glad to laugh at his misery carrying the heavy tray.
InuYasha returned and began handing out the goods. He took the best for himself, chocolate cake with a mound of peanut butter icing. Miroku received a piece of cherry pie, and Kouga got a pair of chocolate-chip cookies. InuYasha unceremoniously plunked a small bowl of red jello down in front of Kagome, who gave him a glaring deadpan expression.
“What,” He defended himself. “You're too fat. This is just the dessert for a pig like you.”
Kagome made and interesting transition from pale to bright red to maroon before retaliating. “EXCUSE me, Mr. `Oh, enough food for three people doesn't fill me up', but who do you think you are to decide that?”
“Ken. Whenever I see you, you're eating something. I'm surprised you fit through the doors here.” InuYasha stuck his nose in the air.
“At least I eat healthy food,” she gestured at the plateful of fried chicken and the hamburger that sat on his plate, compared to her salad and orange. InuYasha only lifted his nose higher, having no reasonable response to Kagome's accusation.
Unfortunately for him, he didn't notice Kagome getting up and marching over, collecting Miroku's plate along the way. That is, until she smashed the bright red pie goo all over his face and smeared it in his hair.
InuYasha reacted much as she had earlier, turning shades of red before almost visible smoke poured out his ears. His reaction was a lot less vocal. Words seemed to elude InuYasha as he opened and closed his mouth wordlessly, not unlike a goldfish. Kagome was smirking and feeling too sure of herself to anticipate InuYasha's next move- he picked up his own cake and squashed it against her forehead.
Kagome glared at him for a few seconds before picking her bowl of jello up. She took a handful and splattered it on his ears and hair. Another handful went in his eyes, while the last was smeared all over his white shirt.
InuYasha, in turn, reached over to a neighboring table and grabbed another plate of pie, this time blueberry, and dumped it on Kagome's head. By this time, they had the attention of the whole cafeteria, which had fallen completely silent, even though the two had yet to utter a sound.
That is, until the person whom InuYasha had stolen the blueberry pie retaliated. “Hey! Loser- I wanted to eat that!” The very big and intimidating senior grabbed his buddy's cake and flung it at InuYasha. InuYasha had the good sense to duck, and the plate flew across the table to hit Kouga. Kouga grabbed another plate while InuYasha was sputtering angrily.
Kouga's rage got the better of his vision, however, and his plate hit another angry senior. Thus an all-out no-holds-barred food fight began.

­­­­­­­­­­­ ;­­­­­­Kagome glared at InuYasha through a thick veil of spaghetti and cake crumbs. The two were sitting in the dean's office once again, this time because some fool had traced the fight back to them. However, the very beginning of the fight between InuYasha and Kagome was unknown, and neither one was talking. Kouga and Miroku sat on the other side of the giant mahogany doors, having been just released from questioning.
Kagome had applesauce and salad dressing clinging to her hair and clothing along with the cake and spaghetti, but InuYasha was much worse off. She had ducked under the table right when the worst part began, but InuYasha had been right in the middle, egging everyone on. He had every kind of food imaginable splattered all over his person, and had made no effort to wipe any of it off. In fact, the two were sitting on towels on the floor so they wouldn't get the expensive leather chairs dirty.
Dean Tanaka was once again glaring at the two rivals with a look of utter disdain and annoyance. She didn't even have to go through a file. These two and their fight stood out so much that she had it memorized, and the only thing on her desk was a pad of paper for notes.
“Do you two have any idea how much you have cost this college? I will tell you: it is much more then the cost of keeping you here. I should just throw the both of you out. Now, I do not want to seem cruel, and I do not want to have to deal with your parents, so I am going to generously let you stay. Do you understand me this far?” She peered down the bridge of her nose at Kagome, who was looking very chastised, and InuYasha, who was glaring at the far corner.
Both nodded their understanding, each for different reasons.
“Now, something very interesting has come to my attention. The last time I had the misfortune of meeting with you two I told you to join a club. Together. Neither of you have joined anything new, let alone worked together on something. You just destroyed the cafeteria. You will find a club by the end of next week, or there will be harsh consequences. Do I make myself clear?”
Kagome and InuYasha mumbled various forms of `yes, I understand.'
“Nakamura-san, join your friends outside the door. I want a story from each of you, separately. I will call you when I am ready for you. Do. Not. Go. Anywhere.” InuYasha sullenly got up and trudged out. “Nakamura-san, take your towel with you; I do not want the leather ruined out there either.” InuYasha turned around, grabbed his towel, and pulled a face at the dean. He slammed the door on his way out.
Kagome looked at the dean through the widest, most innocent eyes she could manage. “Please, Dean Tanaka-sama, it wasn't my fault. I know that's what I said the last time, and I know that a good part of this is my responsibility, but he started it.”
The dean regarded the agitated girl with a calm, composed stare. “Higurashi-san, if you did not start it, what did? InuYasha has made it very clear that he wasn't responsible.”
“Well,” Kagome looked down at her knees, “His friends convinced him to go get dessert for everyone. His friends, unlike him, are very nice; so they convinced him to get one for me too. He brought back good stuff for all of them and the smallest bowl of sugar-free jello for me. I asked him why, and he said -loosely translated- that I was too fat. He then elaborated. I got mad, and retaliated.”
“'Retaliated' how, exactly?”
Kagome smirked as she remembered. “I picked up Miroku-kun's plate and dumped the pie on his head. You would too if a jerk like that called you fat and said you were a pig.” She crossed her arms with a huff.
“Higurashi-san, as much as I understand how you would want to defend yourself like that, it was a very inappropriate thing to do. I do not want to add to your debts, but you and Nakamura-san have once again cost this school a great deal of money. I believe the cleanup and replacement total came to be about 413,000 yen. This cost will, once again, be distributed evenly between the school and the two of you.”
Kagome's mouth dropped and she attempted to protest. She knew if she kept costing her family so much money they wouldn't leave her at Tokyo U; she also knew that no other close college offered her combination of classes. This was not good.
“Do you have anything to add to your side of the story? Now is your last chance.” The girl remained silent in worry. “Alright. If you are done, please go out into the hallway and summon Nakamura-san. Please wait in the hall in case I need to talk to you again.”

Out in the hallway, InuYasha was complaining to Miroku and Kouga about the injustice of the situation, and about how it was all Kagome's fault. His ranting and description contained many colorful, inappropriate words, but InuYasha didn't seem to care.
“Ugh, that bitch. She's probably in there right now saying how it's all my fault. I hate humans. I hate females. And I especially hate the two combined. They always stick together usually to gang up on me.” He sat down on the chair, not bothering to cover it in any way and not caring at all about getting food on the leather.
Miroku turned to face his fuming friend. “InuYasha, the Dean is a very fair lady. She will not take sides. An you know, Kagome-chan isn't all that bad. She is a very nice girl if you get to know her. You just treat her like crap, so she does the same to you.”
InuYasha just made a disgusted face and crossed his arms stubbornly.
“InuYasha,” Kouga added in, “I have a question for you. Do you ever think about the people around you? The whole world does not revolve around you; there are other people in the world, and they deserve your consideration. I mean, have you ever really looked at Kagome? You two fight all the time, and I bet you've never really looked at her. Do you have any idea how gorgeous she is?”
InuYasha snorted and turned his head to avoid Kouga's invasive questioning. Truth was, he had noticed Kagome. He fought with her so much so he had a reason to ignore her. If his brother wasn't on campus to notice, InuYasha might have forgotten the family hate and asked her out. By now he was too set in his ways and stubborn to even consider the idea. “Feh. To you, maybe. I think she's the ugliest girl here. Now lay off my back.”
That was when Kagome threw open the door and marched out.
“Get your ugly ass in there. Fast. I want to go back to my dorm.” She didn't even bother with any pleasantries; just commanded him in a voice he didn't dare disobey.
InuYasha gave her a look before pointing out, “Don't you remember, wench, you no longer live in a dorm. Thanks to you, half our building lives in hotels now. So you couldn't go back to your dorm if you wanted.” The smirk on his face could have lit the hallway.
Kagome scowled. “You know damn well what I meant. Now get in there.” InuYasha shuffled inside and slammed the door, causing the frame to shake and a picture to fall off.
She took one look at the dirty seat InuYasha had vacated before plopping on the floor. “For the record,” she directed at Miroku while pointing at the fallen picture, “That is NOT my fault.”
“I never said it was, Kagome-chan.” He responded, before all three lapsed into silence.
“You know what?” Kagome broke the silence after about three minutes, causing the two boys to jump. “Actually, I wonder something. Why is it that InuYasha talks to you, Miroku? He's so proud that he never will befriend a human. Yet he spends more time with you then anyone else. Did he ever tell you why?”
Miroku and Kouga thought for a moment. The question obviously stumped both of them. “Well,” Miroku began, “I think its because humans are a lot quieter. We're better to talk to. Everyone needs a confidante, and I just happened to be in all of his classes. We were kind of forced on each other. No offense, Kouga.”
“None taken.”
Kagome changed the topic, “He's probably in there right now saying how awful I am, and how it's all my fault. It is, you know. I admit, I did start the fight this time.” Kagome looked dejected as she gazed down the hall at the broken picture frame.
Miroku picked up on her discomfort. “Kagome-chan, don't worry so much. You may have started it this time, but he had it coming. He deserved it.”
“Yeah,” Kouga added, “And ironically enough, that's the same thing he said about you. So, if you both tell the truth, there should be no problem.”
Kagome rewarded both of them with a smile. “Thank you both, very much.”
She would have said more, but just then the door slammed open and InuYasha stumbled out.
“Tanaka's pissed. Find some club. Any club. Well, don't make me join Doll Collectors or anything dumb like that. Let me know when you've found one. Kagome just pulled a face at him and, assuming the Dean didn't want to talk to her again, Stalked away.
Review!