InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Letter ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]










Disclaimer: (Only because if I don’t write it now, I’ll forget) I’m not out of high school and I am barely old enough to find a job, do you really expect me to own Inuyasha?


The Letter




Inuyasha jumped through Kagome’s balcony window, frowning. The stupid girl promised she’d be back today, and she was running late. He didn’t like her staying here for too long. He preferred she be with him, where he could watch over her. Not only that, but her presence always made him feel better. Even when she was ‘sitting’ him. Okay, maybe not so much then, but that wasn’t the point. The point was she was supposed to be with him.

“Kagome?”

No response. She must still be at her school. Inuyasha sighed in frustration and went to sit on her bed. He loved her bed, not that he would ever admit it. It was soft, and smelled exactly like her. Except…Today he wasn’t tired. He was restless.

‘Kagome must have something interesting to do in here. Stupid girl always says how much better it is.’

Inuyasha got back off the bed, wandering over to a little black box on one of her shelves. Inspecting it closely he sniffed, scrunching his nose. It smelled- he wasn’t sure how it smelled, but he knew he didn’t like it. Pressing his face against the cool, shiny part of the gadget, he prodded it with his clawed finger.

“KYAA!” A bright light erupted out of it, along with a screeching noise that sent him reeling. Without hesitation he drew out his Tetsusaiga, pressing his ears flat down against his head and watching the thing. It hadn’t attacked, but he knew it had to be something evil.

‘It must be waiting for Kagome! I bet it wants her shards!’

“Don’t think I’ll let you hurt my Kagome, you stupid piece of trash!” He roared and stabbed the thing, causing sparks and a small flame to erupt from it. Inuyasha had been thinking about using one of his stronger attacks, but figured Kagome wouldn’t like that. He’d damaged her shelf and wall, but it was better than destroying her house right? At the moment he was just glad he could smell no one else home except himself.

‘Keh, the wench should be grateful, I just saved her from getting killed!’ The hanyou grunted in satisfaction at the flames, pleased with his good deed of the day. After several moments, he crushed out the flame with his fist, making sure the thing was dead.

Inuyasha moved on to the next odd item, her desk. He’d seen her working at it a lot, but never been allowed to look inside. Now was his chance. Glancing around and sniffing once more, he was confident he was alone. The first drawer seemed a good place to start, so he tentatively opened the thing, closing his eyes. After several moments he was sure nothing was going to attack him like the other thing had, so pulled out several items. The top item was a red book different looking from Kagome’s others. He read the word ‘Diary’ on the cover, and opened it.
A piece of paper fell out as he did so, and Inuyasha picked it up looking at it in interest. He was stuck. Should he invade her personal privacy and read it, or put it back? Looking at it once more, he caught his name. Well, if it had his name on it…maybe it wouldn’t be wrong for him to read?

Right?

The red book forgotten, he sat once more on her bed, getting comfortable. Once he was sure he had privacy he sat back and began reading.


Inuyasha-


You allowed me to come home again, and it’s 2 o’clock in the morning. I have a huge geometry test in the morning, and I know I’m going to pay for not sleeping, but I can’t help it. I promise I’ll try not to take my bad grade out on you. (Note to self: pack extra ramen as suck up gift for future sits.) So here I am, writing you a letter that I‘m never going to let you read. Can you read? I don’t know, I know your mother died when you were-I’m sorry. I shouldn’t…

Kami, Even in a letter I screw up! How can I be insensitive like that? I guess I’d just like to know more about you.

So anyway Inuyasha, these are my thoughts. Be warned!

I’ve really started to think that despite my high aims (graduating high school - not that high but shush!), I’m still going to end up doing something else in life. What? I don’t know. Because right now, I’m looking at my homework and thinking ‘'You thought you could actually go somewhere with that crap?' I’m going to try though! YOU CAN DO IT KAGOME! (Now I’m giggling to myself. Note to self: Never have three boxes of Pocky before studying.) I think I’m being delusional. I’m pretty much winning the losing battle. That's an odd expression that I don't completely understand. But I mean, what is there for me, if not my life here in the future? (I know you won’t want me in the past.) A future with geometry. *Shudders* My last geometry problem was about doors.

Does your time have the saying ‘When one door closes another opens.‘? I’m really hoping that’s true in my case. I think that’s an evil saying though. Yeah, sure something happens and that door closes. (We’ll call it Kichi because I think the door should have a name. (I need to lay off the pocky, seriously!)) Well, then let’s say Rena, the other door, opens, but she’s halfway around the world. What’s the use of her then? None--at least to you. I’m sure she’ll make a wonderful door for someone else, even though it wasn’t meant for them.

That’s ok though, right? I mean, they probably deserved it. If they didn’t, oh well. She was probably a crappy door anyway. (This is starting to remind me of Kikyo for some reason. I hope it was a door to hell. Wait, no, I don’t hope that. I don’t want to make you sad or angry.) It plays a pretty big part in our society (not Kikyo, doors). They hide people from other people, protect our privacy, make us feel safe (not as much as you make me feel safe though), and all that other stuff. I think they remember too. They aren’t alive, they can’t KNOW, but they remember. A weird thought. But not really.

They are from trees after all, and those are alive. Thankfully most of them aren’t as alive as that one that tried to eat us when you turned human and almost died on me. I wasn’t crying that time either! I was mad! Think of all the memories the Goshin-boku must have. I wonder if trees can haunt somebody. I suppose they can. But only as memories. Hence, the remembering. I suppose the only things doors remember, is how to close. (stupidly referring to door closing metaphor, Kami Kagome. I‘m starting to scare myself. Even more so now that I just went into another giggling fit. I think this stress is starting to get to me!)

I also just finished an essay for my writing class. I thought it was really bad, but Eri (the friend who I’m not sure likes you) said it was good. It said something about wonderful tragedies, and love. Here’s a part from it. ‘Love is knowing that there is that one other person out there you would do anything for. Love is knowing your wanted and cared for. It’s something that even if you are separated, love will still exist, even if what separates you is something as big as death. You can’t fall out of love, because once you are truly in love all you can do is keep loving, even if it kills you.’

I think that’s not true in a way though. The last part about it killing you. I think all you can do is keep loving, even if you have to live. If you really love someone you should live for them, even if they aren’t there to see it. Think on it Inuyasha. I know I can’t be Kikyo (I don‘t want to be her), and I know you can’t love me, but I want you to live. If not for me, for her. (I’ve suddenly sobered from my earlier hyperness it seems…)

When I was little, I remember I always used to dream of finding my true love. (I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but since I’m not giving you this letter, it won’t matter, ne?) My dad would always read me bedtimes stories about it too, my own little fairytale. Some handsome knight arriving to save me, the beautiful and elegant Princess Kagome, from distress. He’d sweep me off my feet and say, “I’ve been searching for you, my true love, and now that I’ve found you, I will never let you go!” then he would kiss me. Love at first sight and then we’d live happily ever after.

Then my dad left us, and I didn’t like the idea of the fairytale so much.

Then I grew up and I really despised it. I mean, seventeen year old Kagome isn’t even close to Princess Kagome. My legs are too long, and I really am not that pretty. Besides, I’m too scarred up to be a princess. I don’t mind the scars though, each has a story. My favorite is the one from the Shikon, it reminds me of how I met you.

So now, I’ve decided I don’t really care about the fairytale. Besides, I’ve read the originals. I mean, I may not get my kiss and happy ending, but I get the adventure. I get to see my love everyday, and I get to know he helps keep me safe. That’s much better than being rescued from a tower anyway.

OH MY GOSH! Inuyasha! It’s already 3!! I’m soooo going to fail tomorrow. Night!.



Love always,

Your Kagome


Inuyasha stared at the letter in shock. Did Kagome really think all those things about him? Did he really think he thought that about her? He reread the letter again, focusing on the last half. It was hard to believe. It was-

“Inuyasha, what are you-oh no!

Inuyasha looked up, surprised to see Kagome. She was staring at the letter, seemingly horrified and starting to turn a deep red.

“Kagome…”

Inuyasha sighed and pulled her over to sit next to him, preparing for a long talk. Somehow, he got the feeling something were going to change, and he could only hope it’d be for the better.




___________________________________________ _______________________________________

So what’cha think? I wrote this and posted it right away, un-beta’d. Kagome’s letter contains part of my own rants, and well it could quite possible be OOC. Don’t really care, I like it.


I decided to leave the ending open for you to decide what happened. Do they get together? Do they stay apart? Do they mate like bunnies right there and then? I dunno.

Definitely not my best work. I still am blocking on my YNKUIG (the YYH.INU Xover) and I don’t want to post anything on it until it’s gone. I’m also trying to get better characterization and dialogue scenes down, so it might be awhile before an update on that.

Plus I have an idea for a new fic! I’ve already written about 17 pages on it, and I’m in the process of figuring out stuff on it. Here’s a preview! Do not steal it!


“A little over eighteen years ago, a miko child was born, not an unusual occurrence. Over the years her powers progressed greatly and most were amazed. They were wild talents though, and very hard to train. Even now, I believe the girl has not fully mastered them. Anyway, one day when the girl was fifteen, a giant youkai attack her, and her powers failed to help her. She was tossed into the air and as the demon ripped into her side, a jewel came out.” She closed her eyes as she spoke, almost as if she were reliving it.

“The girl managed to kill the demon, but was confused about the thing that had come out of her. The village priestess had confirmed what it was, the Shikon no Tama. The people of the village still haven’t figured out why the jewel chose to make an appearance, nor why it was in a miko, but they have come to one decision. They decided to protect the jewel with their lives, keeping any evil influence away from it. The girl whom it was born in decided she wouldn’t let them die for it, and chose to dedicate her life to protecting it, protecting them, although that means she will virtually have no life of her own. She believes Naraku is after this jewel.” She opened her eyes, staring straight at Sesshomaru without hesitation. Something seemed past between them, a understanding perhaps, and he nodded.

“I see. I have one more question for tonight then I shall allow you to retire. Is this girl content with her decision?” Kagome’s eyes widened, and she forced back the tears she didn’t know had forced themselves to the surface. She didn’t even know why.

“I-I happen to believe that although the girl is sacrificing a lot, seeing the people she chose to protect happy means more to her than her own happiness. So while at times, she is saddened, I believe that she is content, and is living her decision without regrets.” It was the honest answer, and Kagome hadn’t realized how true it was until it popped out of her mouth.



The story is really good, you all need to read it! DISCLAIMER FOR THE PREVIEW: The idea is all mine, the characters, etc. don’t belong to me. I wish….