InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Man and the Monster ❯ The Myth ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Note to Readers, No Matter the Myth to Which They Subscribe
 
The Man and the Monster will not make sense to you if you attempt to fit it cleanly into the timeline of the television series. That is because it is fanfiction.
There comes a certain point where certain characters and premises have already been established, where anything added is not connected to an overarching plot but instead contributes to the mythology of whatever it may be. A character such as Batman has been around for so long that a litany of literature has been written and a number of movies in which he is protagonist. The comics of today can connected to the comics of the past only very vaguely, so different are they in style, plot, and tone. Neither the first movie nor Batman Begins are even particularly coherent when any attempt at direct connection is made, and yet it is undeniable that they are both Batman movies. This is because, while they are not sequels or part of a series, they are myths that have been contributed to the culture of Batman.
In the end, that is what we are doing here. We are making myths. This is a notable and often underestimated endeavor—“fanfiction” has always been somewhat of a dirty word in literary circles, by those who choose not to understand it or its potential.
In a similar vein as the famous comics, Animes have frequently indulged in a strange yet interesting practice. For every television series, there is a manga, and the differences between the two vary from inconsequential to bafflingly vast. On top of that, there is a tradition of making movies which make absolutely no sense in the timeline of either, yet stand solidly on their own and can be quite entertaining.
So without apology, I will not be setting this in a specific time in Inuyasha the television series. I will take things from the anime and from the manga as I find necessary, and I think that any fan will find my work entirely easy to understand. At the same time, understand that attempting to inform me of inaccuracies or deviations from the authentic Inuyasha will be mostly met with indifference.
A script for a potential episode is not what you will find here.
What you can expect to find is the myth as I have told it.
The myth of Inuyasha the man, and Inuyasha the monster.
I ask only that you judge it for what it is, rather than what you might want it to be.