InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Model Village ❯ New Life ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.

 

 

Phew…I know…some of you ended up confused, and then there were those of you who understood the last chapter well. It has certainly been an interesting rollercoaster ride, this fic has. No, it's not over yet…(cracks up) Sorry…inside joke…(Clears throat) Okay, I have an idea of how to start this chapter out, but it's a mystery where it will lead….ooooooeeeeeeeeeooooo (Author wiggles arms and hands in freaky way for effect) So, enjoy and thanks again for your praise and support {~_^}

 

 

Chapter 12: New Life

 

 

As Inuyasha padded down the stairs, he heard compliments and praise from the kitchen from the `honorable' monk. He `keh'd' to himself as he walked towards the kitchen. As he walked in, his eyes left the floor and looked upon a scene he never thought he would see in his life. A family and some friends gathered around a table, in chairs eating and talking ecstatically. It was so noisy in there; he began to wonder if they had even heard the yelling between him and Kagome.

 

Her mother had cooked enough for everyone and she was still on her feet as everyone ate happily. He eyed everyone and noticed there was someone missing. Kaede was nowhere to be found. He wondered what had happened to her. He did not even remember her being around when they were in the forest. That was when he caught some movement outside the kitchen window in the distance.

 

Since no one even noticed Inuyasha had been at the doorway, he just walked the other direction and stepped out the front door. He turned around the corner of the house and saw Kaede walking towards the Goshinboku in the middle of the shrine. He watched her for a moment, and then closed the door behind him as he stepped out and walked towards the tree and the old miko.

 

Kaede was standing in front of the tree with her eyes closed, hands together in front of her chest in prayer. As Inuyasha came close, she suddenly said, "Inuyasha, Where are we? Is this where I think it is?"

 

"Yeah. This is the very same area where the village stood. This is the shrine where Kagome lives. This shrine was built in honor of our story. Kagome told me all about it. This is our village's future, Kaede. This is all that's left." Inuyasha mentioned as they both looked around at the traditional grounds, but Kaede's eyes stopped on the modern house.

 

"What type of building is that?" Kaede asked.

 

"That is Kagome's house. That is where the false village is. This is the future." Inuyasha explained.

 

"What year? Do you know?" Kaede asked as she marveled the interesting architecture of the building they lived in.

 

"No. Kagome has not revealed that to me yet. I never thought to ask her." Inuyasha responded as he turned to the bench Kagome sat at the night before, when she brought him to the tree. Kaede turned with him and followed him to the concrete bench across from the tree.

 

When they sat and watched the breeze blow the branches of the tree back and forth, the sun began to set, bringing a beautiful pink hue to the grounds. To Kaede, not much had changed. Those very grounds were still peaceful and full of positive energy. All she could see was forest that wrapped around the shrine grounds and the arch over towards the entrance. As she looked that way, she noticed the city skyline in the distance.

 

She stood up and walked towards the arch at the entrance. Inuyasha's eyes followed her a moment and then he stood up and followed the old woman to see what she saw. As they reached the tall flight of stairs at the entrance, they both were in awe of what they saw. Peeks of houses, and lights everywhere. There were barely any trees, barely any grass. All the fields they roamed through in the past were all gone.

 

Kaede looked on with a saddened face. She never imagined what the future of Nippon would be like. They both just stood there silently and watched the sun set over the city. They both heard a strange sound and saw this `thing' fly down the smooth stone way. Inuyasha caught the fumes from the vehicle that passed. He coughed and gagged at the scent left behind. He had no idea what that was, but he sure as heck was not about to chase it if it was going to make him sick.

 

Kaede looked his way and patted him on the back, helping to comfort him as she asked herself what that was. "That…thing certainly did a number on ye, eh Inuyasha?"

 

"Yeah…Man…that…whatever…it was…stunk! What was that?" Inuyasha choked out as the bad air was coughed from his lungs. His face turned red from all the heavy coughing.

 

"Maybe we should get inside? Ye need a drink of water." Kaede mentioned as she helped the coughing hanyou away from the steps and towards the house.

 

As Inuyasha slid the front shoji open, Kaede stepped in behind him and slipped off her sandals. She glanced around as she followed Inuyasha down the hallway towards the commotion in the kitchen. Inuyasha still could not speak, so he walked into the kitchen and coughed as he looked to Kagome's mother and pointed to his open mouth as if to tell her, `water please'. She saw the gesture, nodded and stood up to get a glass of water for him.

 

"There you are. We were beginning to wonder if you and Kagome had become…detained." Miroku said as he coughed on purpose.

 

Inuyasha stepped forward silently and pounded the monk on the head, sending it down into his plate of rice and vegetables. "Inuyasha!" Sango yelled as she dropped her chopsticks and put her arms around the monk asking if he was okay. Inuyasha stood there and mimicked a `Keh' since he could not talk. Souta, Shippo and Kohaku laughed at how far the monk's rice and veggies flew when his head hit the plate.

 

"This is no way to act at the dinner table!" Grandpa yelled over the laughing and the slayer talking to Miroku as she cleaned the food off his face. Once again, a mimicked `Keh' was afforded as Inuyasha was finally handed a tall glass of water by Kagome's mother.

 

"You all right, Inuyasha?" She asked as she handed him the glass.

 

Inuyasha took the glass of water and downed half of it. He looked to her and answered with, "Now I am. What are those things that move quickly down the stone surface at the bottom of your shrine steps?"

 

"Oh, you mean the metal machines? Those are cars. They help humans get from point A to point B quickly and easily." She answered with a smile.

 

"Cars? Why would humans use such fowl machines to go somewhere? I nearly choked and coughed up a lung because of the stench it sent my way!" Inuyasha pointed out.

 

"Oh! Your senses are that great? Wow! No human would have been affected by their fumes at that great a distance. Wow!" She piped out as he finished off the water and let out a sigh of relief.

 

"Thanks, that water tasted good. What did you cook? It smells really good." Inuyasha inquired as she offered him a place setting, and a chair at the end of the table, closest to the kids, and across from her father.

 

"Inuyasha, I have a question about your sword. Is it truly magical?" The old man before him asked over the kids giggling and talking.

 

"Yeah, you could say that." Inuyasha answered as Kagome's mother set a plate full of dinner in front of him.

 

"What kind of magic does it do? The legends suggest that it was the sword of swords. The sword of all legends. I heard it was nicknamed the sword that could kill a hundred in one swing." The old man mentioned as Inuyasha picked up the chopsticks and put the first piece of vegetable in his mouth.

 

As Inuyasha chewed on his food he let out, "Uh huh. It's called Tetsussaiga."

 

"Inuyasha, don't talk with your mouth full." Miroku mentioned as he daintily ate the rest of his rice with his chopsticks.

 

"Shaddup, letch." Inuyasha growled as he held more food up to his mouth.

 

"Tetsussaiga, huh? Hmm…Legend also has it your brother possessed a mystical sword as well. What was that sword called?" The old man asked as he handed his empty plate over to Kagome's mother.

 

"Mm…Yes, he does. It's called Tenseiga. It raises human souls from the dead." He answered as he took a swig of his refilled glass of water.

 

"Wow. So one kills demons, and the other raises humans from the dead? Where did these swords come from?" The old man asked to himself.

 

Inuyasha picked up more rice and veggies with his chopsticks and said, "Our father's fang."

 

"From his fang? Wasn't your father Lord Inutaisho of the Western Lands?" The old man inquired.

 

Inuyasha looked up at him with his piercing golden eyes as he said, "Yes. He was, though I don't know much about him since he died the night I was born. All I know about are the stories my mother told me when I was just a child before her death, and what my brother and retainer have told me. I don't even know what he looks like, so I really can't give you much information. If you have any questions about my father, you'll have to ask my half brother, Sesshoumaru."

 

"Oh! The other silver haired figurine was your half brother Sesshoumaru?" Inuyasha nodded in response. "Wow. I had heard some of the tales about him all right. He was very devious, wasn't he?"

 

"Keh! Devious is not even close! He's pure evil! He's a true bonafide youkai!" Inuyasha pointed out as he raised his voice out of shock.

 

"Now, ya know that's not completely true, Inuyasha. He does have that young girl following him around. She sees him as her father figure, and he sees her like a daughter. He obviously isn't all THAT evil." Miroku pointed out as he handed Mrs. Higurashi his empty plate.

 

"Huh…None of you understand, do ya? He's tried to kill me so many times in the past, and yet you still think he has a heart? You all have no brains." Inuyasha closed his eyes and stuffed the next scoop of food into his mouth.

 

"He's tried to kill you? His half brother? Isn't he all you have left of your family and you him?" The old man asked as he leaned forward on the table towards the hanyou.

 

"Huh…Family never meant anything to him. Not even his own father I've been told. All he cares about is world conquest. Just what every powerful youkai wants."

 

"Is that what you want? You are half youkai, are you not?" The old man asked, not realizing he had hit home with that question.

 

Inuyasha snapped his chopsticks in two as he clenched his fists. His eyes squeezed shut as he ground out, "Don't you ever say I am like my brother, old man. You don't know me, or my brother. I am in a class of my own and I far exceed most worthless youkai out there, old man. I could kill you in a second if I was pushed hard enough." He raised and unclenched his hand, making his knuckles crack as he showed off his claws.

 

"Don't you threaten me, youngster. I come from a long line of priests! I could exercise you in a second!" The old man challenged Inuyasha as he stood up out of his chair and rolled up his sleeve.

 

Inuyasha dropped his hands to his lap and lowered his head. The old man was startled by his reaction for a moment when the hanyou's shoulders began to move. Suddenly a laugh was heard from Inuyasha. A laugh that was mocking. He raised his head and hands. His hands were cupped up towards the ceiling, and his eyes were closed as he laughed so hard, his body shook and tears fell from his eyes. After a few seconds, the laugh shook his body so hard he wrapped his arms around his torso and bowed his head once again.

 

Everyone in the room watched his insanity unfold as he just laughed himself silly over what the innocent old man had said. Even Kagome's mother turned from her duties at the sink to see who was laughing and why.

 

The old man began to fume as he then yelled out, "You don't think I could do it?"

 

Inuyasha laughed for just a couple more seconds, and then stopped abruptly as he rose up out of his chair and put his hand on the hilt of his sword. "You really wanna see what kind of power I have old man?"

 

"Yes. I do, youngster." The old priest challenged.

 

Inuyasha, with his head still bowed, smiled and then drew his sword in front of everyone. The sound of the sword's transformation from rusty old sword to the grand fang cut through the silence. Inuyasha gripped his fang with both hands, and stood at attention before the old man. Then, once he stopped moving, he looked into the old priests eyes with determination. "Ya wanna see what I can do with this? Follow me outside." Inuyasha challenged in a serious tone, then turned and stepped out of the kitchen towards the front door.

 

The old man's eyes followed the hanyou as he left the kitchen; deadly weapon in hand. The old man turned to go when his daughter grabbed his shoulder from behind saying, "No! You don't know what kind of challenge that was! He is half youkai, and he seemed pretty pissed off! Don't go out there!"

 

Miroku cleared his throat to get her attention. "Actually, all he probably does is maybe cut down a few trees with it in the forest. He wouldn't dare abruptly attack the old man in this form"

 

"In THIS form?" They both asked simultaneously.

 

Miroku coughed and stood up from the table to see them face to face. "Yes. Our friend has three forms. Human, hanyou, and full demon. He can transform within a matter of seconds. Kagome is well aware of his full demon form, but she has not yet seen his human form. In his hanyou form, his human blood keeps his demon blood in check. He will not readily kill a human in this form. That would go against his very nature."

 

The old man looked at the monk and bowed in thanks for the info. He then turned towards the front door and stepped out to see what the hanyou was up to. Once he came around the corner of the house, he saw the hanyou standing out past the well house and facing the forest, his head turned to see if the old man would join him. The old man looked into his reflecting eyes and saw complete honesty, but also diligence. He was an ambitious half demon who was everything he had ever imagined he would be and more.

 

The old man had known about the half demon's tales and journey for all his life. In a way, the old man grew up seeing that figure before him as a hero, and ultimately someone to aspire to. Whether half demon or not, he always wondered what the hanyou had truly been through. He still marveled seeing that being standing before him, fang and all.

 

"Pay attention old man. You think you have power? Watch this!" Inuyasha grasped his sword in both hands and raised it above his head as if to attack something. Once he swung the sword, a light brighter than the sun appeared from where he stood, and struck down three rows of trees. All with a single swing of his sword.

 

The old man's eyes flashed open wide and his lower jaw hit the ground in front of him. He could not breathe. What he had just seen was factually impossible. The fables, they were all true. The proof standing right before him, the half demon hero. He turned his head from the three trenches before him to the hanyou who created the havoc. Inuyasha stood there, proud smile on his face, and his trusty sword lying over his shoulder.

 

The old man knew no more of what to say or do, but fall to his knees and bow before the hanyou. Inuyasha's eyes rolled to the back of his head as he let out an exasperated sigh and sheathed his sword. Once his hands were free, he knelt down and said, "Look at me, old man."

 

Kagome's grandfather raised his head to look into the gold eyes before him. "I'm sorry I challenged you and egged you on. I meant no harm. I've been the man of the house for a long time now, and I guess I'm just a bit afraid of being knocked off my soapbox. Please forgive me."

 

"You don't need to apologize. I just thought you'd enjoy some action." Inuyasha said with a mischievous smirk, showing a bit of fang.

 

"Oh, you bet I enjoyed that! Do it again!" The old man asked as he lifted his hands off the ground and grabbed onto Inuyasha's haori.

 

"Ah! Get off me, old fart! I don't want to attract too much attention with my sword, but I can show you another one of my attacks. Ya see I'm strong even without my sword!" Inuyasha stated proudly as he stood up, faced the trees once more, and performed his trademark move, Sankon Tessou. The old man marveled at how effortlessly he threw blades from his claws.

 

The old man clapped and cheered as Kagome's mother stood at the back sliding glass door, Kaede beside her. They both smiled at seeing the two men having a bit of fun. However, unbeknownst to them, a girl was sitting up at her window, marveling what her hanyou friend could accomplish. She was woken out of a deep sleep when Inuyasha laughed like crazy. It reminded her of when his brother smacked Inuyasha's head from his shoulders. That was when she heard bare feet padding on concrete outside her window.

 

She watched him from her window on the second floor as he breathed in the air and stared off into space. She wondered what it was he was thinking. He stood there with his sword and looked into the distance, silently. She still couldn't get over how lucky she was to come across such a wonderful gift such as his story. She silently cheered when he blew up the trees with a swing of his sword, and when he threw the blades of light from his own hands. He was truly a marvel she knew she couldn't live without. Just his presence drove her to thinking thoughts she had never thought before. She began to wonder if she even knew what it was she wanted in a man.

 

Never being in a relationship before did not help her confusion in the situation with that mysterious being. For him to live and carry on had to be an adventure, whether or not he wanted an adventurous life such as his. She wanted to know him. She wanted to be with him, but most of all, she wanted his love, and hoped he would be willing to give her that when they were ready.

 

 

 

 

 

Wow…This chapter was fun to write (Nods). I hope you all enjoyed this chappy at least as much as I did writing it. Thanks again for your comments and support. Well, it certainly looks like my mind wants this fun fic to keep going and I take it you guys are very happy about that (Nods with you). Well, `til next time. Ja ne! {^_^}