InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Model Village ❯ Moonless Night ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
 
Okay. Now I know what all of you are thinking…'This is our lucky day! She updated early!' Well, just in case you are wondering, my mind just urged me to purge this info from my brain. I say a pic that a friend of mine posted, and I just could help but be inspired to write this chapter as soon as I saw her art. So, Dev Alm, this one is truly for you! Sit back and enjoy, as so will I as I write this piece of work, which I know you will all enjoy. Kudos!
 
 
Chapter 16: The Moonless Night
 
 
Kagome awoke in her bed. She took notice that she was not in the arms of her hanyou friend, as when she fell asleep. Inuyasha had undoubtedly obeyed both her and her mother. He was honorable and truthful. How he got her into her bed comfortably without her knowing amazed her.
 
She turned onto her side to see him sitting on the floor, back against the wall and his head tilted to the side, as his even breathing was her morning serenade. Once again, she was graced with his innocence. `He's so beautiful when his face is relaxed. While he's asleep, he looks like nothing more than a boy. While he's awake, there's so much determination in his face that his brows furrow and his eyes look like they hold so many terrible memories. Although, I don't think I could go for one day without seeing his beautiful gold eyes. They are so piercing and they hold so much about his soul.'
 
Kagome laid there wide-awake. She was afraid that if she stirred too much, she would cause him to awaken. She found peace in just watching him. Not only was his face of interest to her, but also those adorable but highly useful ears on top of his head. Until he came into her life, she had never imagined such a being as him could truly exist. She had heard stories about his travels, but nothing she truly believed could have been truth. She figured her grandfather and other past family members were just making money off fairytales. But there he was, sitting in her room, very much alive. She needed no more proof.
 
Kagome sighed silently and his left ear twitched towards her. That was when she decided he could probably even hear her breathing. That was when it happened. She felt a sneeze coming on. She struggled to hold it in so she would not wake him. She inhaled slightly to hold it in and itched her nose. His left ear twitched again and his head moved slightly. The sneeze passed after a few seconds. She let go of her nose and exhaled. That was when golden eyes met hers suddenly.
 
“You okay? I heard you making some funny noises.” He asked.
 
“Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you?” Kagome asked.
 
“No. I was just resting. I don't usually sleep very deeply while I'm a hanyou. My ears hear too much.” He stated.
 
“Oh.”
 
“Why? You're acting like you have to be careful around me.”
 
“Well, you looked so peaceful, that I just didn't want to wake you.” She mentioned.
 
“Keh! I don't know what you're talking about. My life has been anything BUT peaceful.” He barked.
 
“Well, it was. Now you have a second chance for that peace, right?” Kagome pointed out.
 
Inuyasha's eyes left hers in thought. `She's right. There's nothing for me to worry about now. We finally achieved what we wanted in the end. Have we reached that light at the end of the tunnel?'
 
Kagome watched him for a few seconds. She wondered what he was thinking. His face was so close; she could practically feel his aura. She reached out and touched the cheek facing her. He froze at her touch. She sat up more and put her other hand on his other cheek. She gently moved his face towards her. The look on his face was one of question, and his cheeks were blushed. Neither one knew what to say. The room suddenly filled with the thickness of silence. They could both hear each other's breathes.
 
`His skin is so soft. I can feel the taught muscles underneath. He's tense even while he's relaxed. There's not an ounce of fat on him. He's all skin and muscle. Perfection.' She thought to herself, as her expression became one of admiration.
 
Inuyasha's expression became one of realization as he reached his hands up and grabbed her wrists. He pulled her hands from his face. He kept his gaze on her as his eyes suddenly went to remorse as if to say, `I can't, but I want to.'
 
Kagome read the words in his eyes and gasped. His eyes strained to remain strong, but he couldn't hide what he was thinking. She knew right then how he felt about her and what he truly wanted. Her mother had asked him to respect that she's not ready for an intimate relationship. She didn't know how intimate she wanted to be with him, but she knew she wanted to help him to be happy. His heart was scarred to the core, and he needed healing. Not necessarily intimate healing, but he needed to know that she didn't have to be Kikyo to truly love him wholeheartedly. Kikyo was all he had ever known. No other human had shown him love but Kikyo `til he fell into her life.
 
He let go of her wrists and then stood. His eyes never left hers, but she could tell what he was about to say. “We should get downstairs. Your mom's cooking breakfast, I can smell it.” He then turned from her and started walking towards the door.
 
“Inuyasha.” Kagome called out. He stopped and turned to acknowledge her. “Why are you afraid to open your heart? I could tell by the look in your eyes. There's so much you need to let go. I won't judge you for any reason.”
 
“Huh?” He gaped at her, wondering where she gained the gall to ask him something so personal. “Are you crazy?”
 
“No, but I'm afraid you might be, if you don't deal with what you've seen. What you've been through. What's wrong with sharing your experiences?” Kagome inquired innocently.
 
Inuyasha sighed as he thought for a second on how to answer her. Once his eyes finally gazed on hers again, he said, “Listen. You are innocent. You know nothing of fear, of dread, of regret. Or even of what it's like to have loved and lost so cheaply at the sick plots for some sick bastard's gain. I won't tell you for one reason. I don't want you to deal with my past. My past is just that. I will do what I have to in order to put it all behind me. I don't want you to have nightmares because of what I've been through.”
 
Inuyasha walked to her bedside and kneeled down so he could see her eye to eye when he said, “I don't want you to hurt for me, Kagome. It's best that you don't know what I've been through.” He grabbed her hands and held them within sight. “I do have feelings for you, Kagome. I'm still confused. I realized that last night. When I hold you like I have, I feel so comforted, and I feel that is what I've been missing more than anything in my life. It's hard to say how to go about all of this, but I know I need you near. Knowing what I've been through will bring you to tears. I refuse to put you through that, knowing my past would be the cause. It would be as if I was hurting you.”
 
Kagome knew what he meant. She felt sad just knowing his past was horrible enough he was afraid to tell her. As her eyes began to tear, he brought her hand to his lips in a chaste kiss, letting her know of his affections towards her. Once his eyes looked to hers for assurance, she smiled slightly and nodded. At her nod, he smiled. He let go of her hands and stood once again. But this time, he offered her his left hand. She accepted his hand and he helped her out of bed.
 
Once she was steady on her feet, he turned and once again, stepped up to the door stating, “Go ahead and get cleaned up. I'll make sure a plate is made for you.” After that was said, he lightly shut the door behind him, so she could have her privacy. She didn't move for a second as she stood and smiled after him. Then, she walked to her closet and her dresser to pull out what she was to adorn for the day.
 
~*~
 
Inuyasha appeared to be the first one to arrive in the kitchen, after Mrs. Higurashi started cooking. He chose to greet the woman with, “Ohayo” as he reached for a chair and sat down at the table.
 
Mrs. Higurashi turned to see him sitting at the table and returned the greeting with a smile. Inuyasha watched her like a hawk as she cooked. He wondered if she was going to question him about how well things went last night for him. Ya know, if he was comfortable sleeping on the floor. What surprised him was she decided not to lecture him any further. Even so, he still kept himself covered emotionally. She hadn't known that her daughter slightly disobeyed her rules. `Heh…Like I'm gonna say she did…' He thought to himself as she pulled the plates out of the cabinet and began to rifle through the drawers for chopsticks and other utensils.
 
As she got everything set out on the counter, she turned to the young man at the table and asked politely, “Inuyasha, would you please set the table for everyone?”
 
He looked from the wooden table before him to her smiling expression and nodded. He stood up from his chair quietly and walked over to the counter to grab the plates. The woman watched him out of the corner of her eye and realized how wonderful a young man he was. Sure, his story carried over the centuries, but to know him personally was a bit of a thrill. Also to know he held such humility, and being a prince at the same time amazed her. She had no knowledge of why he lived such a life, but she hoped he would one day inform them of his past circumstances.
 
He noticed Kagome's mother had slowed in her actions the moment he went to her side to grab the utensils and the plates. He knew she was paying close attention to his actions. The behavior was a bit nerve wracking. She had no clue he knew what she was doing. She was confirming who he was as far as his attitude towards her since their talk last night. `Why's she doing this? Why would she watch me like a hawk? I think it's going to take a lot to gain her trust.' He thought to himself as he set the last set of chopsticks on the last plate.
 
“Thank you, son.” She sent his way as he turned to let her know he was finished.
 
“Oh…Um…You're welcome, Mrs. Hig…”
 
“You don't have address me so formally. Just call me mom, okay?” She cut in with an honest smile.
 
“Um…You sure? I've never addressed anyone that way since…” He trailed off as thought of his mother hit his mind.
 
“Since when?” She asked as she turned towards him to give him her full attention.
 
“Well…It was just a long time ago. That's all.” He answered shyly.
 
“What was? You can tell me.” She said as she grabbed her morning tea she had prepared and turned off the useless burner on the stove. She then walked over to sit across from the young man at the table.
 
“My mother. She…Uh…It's a long story. It's not easy for me to tell.” Inuyasha stated solemnly.
 
“Its okay, son. I am ready to listen.” She replied calmly as she set down her tea, sat down comfortably and readied herself for a long and interesting story.
 
“Well, you know how I'm half Inu-youkai and half human?” He asked shyly as he made eye contact with her. She nodded in response. “Well, my father was the full Inu-youkai, and my mother was human. A princess. She was in love with my father; though my father died the night, I was born, protecting us from a jealous ex-lover of my mother's. My father's gift to my mother and I was the Fire Rat Haori I wear now. Its use is to protect us from slight dangers such as fire, arrows, sword cuts, and the like. She lived long enough to see me grow to the age of eight. She tried to keep me happy, even though those she and I lived in the palace with shunned us both. Shunned her for loving a demon and me for being half demon.” Inuyasha explained solemnly.
 
“What happened after she died?” The woman asked.
 
“I was on my own. I was left to fend for myself, or die at their prejudiced hands. So I chose to leave. I wasn't even allowed to see my mother's funeral. I became non-existent to them.” He said as his eyes once again turned to the wood before him.
 
“Well, I see you all as my adopted children. Including you, Inuyasha. You may call me Mom if you like. I don't mind.” She said with a smile.
 
“Okay…Mom.” He drawled out as he gained eye contact with the smiling woman across from him.
 
“Now go ahead and get the boys. We have a lot of shopping to do. I'll go wake Sango and Kaede.” She mentioned as she and the hanyou both stood and stepped away from the set awaiting table.
 
Kagome had just stepped out of the bathroom as her mother and the young hanyou just reached the top of the stairs. “Ohayo, Mom.” She said in greeting.
 
“Ohayo, sweetie.” She said as she turned to her bedroom, which harbored the slayer and the priestess.
 
“Oh, Inuyasha. What's wrong? You look sad.” Kagome pointed out.
 
“Nothing. I'm fine. I'm going to wake up the kids, and the lech. Go ahead and go sit at the table downstairs.” Inuyasha drawled out as he turned away from her to open the shoji door to the room across the hall from her.
 
“Okay.” She answered as she watched him open the door and yell out, “Oi! Get your butts up! Breakfast is ready!” As he shut the door behind him to continue the rant. She heard some rustling and scrambling behind the door, but she only smiled and continued her decent down the stairs.
 
~*~
 
“Oi! Get your butts up! Breakfast is ready!”
 
“Wha…?” The monk shouted as he felt the futon under him lift up and he fell off to the side. He opened his eyes to see a pair of dirty feet in his face. He rolled over onto his back and saw Inuyasha standing over him with his arms crossed and a stern look in his eyes. “Oh, mornin' Inuyasha.” He said as he yawned and stretched.
 
“Oi…wake up the kids, will ya? Tell them if they snooze they loose their breakfast.” The hanyou said as he turned and slid the door open, walked out, and then down the stairs.
 
Miroku scratched his head and then turned to Shippo and nudged his shoulder. Shippo woke up and yawned. He sniffed the air from the hall and then rolled over and smacked Kohaku. Kohaku yelped and sat up. He looked at Shippo. Shippo sat there and laughed at Kohaku's expression as the kitsune said, “Wake up, sleepy head! Food's ready!” Kohaku smiled and then turned to Souta only to see that he was sitting there smiling at Kohaku. They all went to the bathroom and got themselves ready for the morning.
 
~*~
 
“Kagome.” Inuyasha called as he entered the kitchen and saw her standing at the counter looking out the window at the shrine grounds. As she turned in response to his voice as he arrived beside her at the counter.
 
“What is it, Inuyasha?”
 
“I talked to your mom this morning. She asked me to do something unusual.”
 
“What was that?”
 
“She asked me to call her Mom from now on. She said I was her adopted child.” He said as his eyes reverted from the window to the sink before him.
 
Kagome smiled and reached her arm up to lay her hand on his shoulder. He looked over to her and noticed her reassuring smile. “Good, I'm glad.”
 
“But, doesn't that make me your brother?” He asked with an odd expression.
 
Kagome looked at his strange expression and she gained a smirk as she responded with, “Well, not really. You're not like my blood brother, but you are free to call my mother your mom. You don't have to call me sister or anything.”
 
Inuyasha looked at her as if she had worms slithering out of her ears. “You so lost me.”
 
Kagome shrugged and said, “But that's the way it works. You would address my mother the way you did yours, and you don't HAVE to call me sister. My mother is taking you in and sheltering you. All she has requested is that you call her mom. It's that simple. I'm guessing that is all she's requested of you.”
 
“Oh. That's her way of telling me how she would like me to see her.” Inuyasha reiterated.
 
“Yes, exactly.” Kagome answered with a smile.
 
“Okay. Does this mean she has formed a bit of trust in me?” He asked.
 
“Well, not yet, but it's a start.” Kagome mentioned.
 
Inuyasha nodded in acknowledgement and then turned his gaze out the window once again. They both shared the short peaceful moments of the kitchen window `til the `boys' arrived in the kitchen for their breakfast. Kagome and Inuyasha then winked at each other and joined them at the table to begin their first full family breakfast together. They discussed the living situations, what was expected of each of the new tenants and they also made sure of the plans for shopping that afternoon.
 
Once noon rolled around, and they each were properly fed, Kaede and the old man decided to take care of the house while Mrs. Higurashi, Kagome and their new companions went to the nearest in town street filled on both sides with shops. First stop was to the shoe store for sandals. Inuyasha found a pair of slip-on sandals without the thong in the middle, and he was told by Kagome to wear them the rest of the day to get used to them, no matter how much he complained.
 
Then, they headed to the nearest co-ed clothing store and searched for clothing. Kagome and her mom split up the group. Kagome and Sango walked off to the women's section, while her mom took the `boys' off to the men's section. Kagome enjoyed showing the different styles to Sango and had a nice fashion show with her. They tried on just about every outfit they could find, trying to see what would look best on Sango.
 
Kagome's mom had the most interesting time with the men. She laughed the whole time when it came to Inuyasha refusing to try on jeans and sweat pants. He felt strange being forced to put on restricting clothing. Miroku on the other hand, went straight to the rack with the jean shorts and a rack of leather pants also caught his eye. When he came out of the dressing room with a button down silk shirt and a pair of black leather pants, the sight of him made Mrs. Higurashi's cheeks glow red. Kohaku and Shippo hung with Souta and found some comfortable clothing that suited them well quickly and easily.
 
Mrs. Higurashi had the hardest time with Inuyasha. It got to the point where Miroku, in his leather pants, had to get Inuyasha to take the plunge and try something outrageous. He somehow got Inuyasha into a pair of spandex shorts and a muscle t-shirt. Now that certainly caused Mrs. Higurashi to not only turn beet red, but faint in the chair she was sitting in. The boys just stared and then ran away to go get the girls to see the interesting sight.
 
Since Inuyasha and Miroku heard what the boys were planning on doing, they bolted after the kids and wound up trouncing through the lingerie section. The monk to stopped short in front of the hanyou, and they both wound up on the floor covered in bras. The kids sat there and laughed, causing a scene that attracted the girl's attention. When Sango and Kagome arrived to see what the commotion was about, they both stopped and their faces went red. The sight of a very well built and well-endowed Inuyasha in spandex and a sexy monk in black leather buried together in a mound of bras was quite the sight.
 
The first question asked was, “Who on earth got you into clothing like that, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha looked up at Kagome, through the strap of a bra hanging off one of his ears. That was when he went ballistic on Miroku for making him wear an outfit so revealing. Sango stood there and laughed. Kagome watched her and the guys for a moment, and then joined Sango in hysteric laughter. Needless to say, Kagome finally stepped in to help Inuyasha to find clothing more suitable to his liking, and Miroku asked to buy the sultry outfits, being the smooth man he was…
 
Once the shopping fiasco ended, they all made sure they had the proper clothing on, and then they footed it off to the grocery store for food and supplies. After a few hours, they returned home. Kagome's mom got right to making dinner, and Sango decided to help with the preparation while the guys all decided to put away their new clothes. Inuyasha asked to have some room made in Kagome's room for some of his new clothing. Sango decided she would stay with Kagome's mom and Kaede for the time being, at least until Inuyasha felt he could be on his own, whenever that would be.
 
~*~
 
They finished dinner at dusk. Inuyasha was the first to leave the table. He didn't say a word as he walked away from the table and walked out the back door. Kagome saw the look on his face when he left. The look was far off and distant, but worried at the same time. She left the table a few moments after him and stepped out onto the shrine grounds. She looked to her right and saw he was standing near the entrance of the grounds, looking out over the Tokyo skyline. He was watching the sunset. She walked up beside him, and linked her arm in his. His gaze never left the last of the light in the sky.
 
“Beautiful sunset, isn't it?” Kagome observed.
 
“Yeah. Beautiful.” Inuyasha responded sarcastically.
 
“What's wrong?” Kagome asked, as she looked his way. His eyebrows were furrowed creating a frustrated expression. He looked angry all of a sudden.
 
“There's something you don't know about me yet.”
 
“What's that?”
 
“I can't really say it. You won't completely understand until you see it for yourself. Which you will shortly.” He answered in a serious tone without taking his eyes away from the sky ahead of him.
 
“Okay.” Kagome answered as she herself looked to the skyline.
 
They both stood in silence as the last rays of sunlight faded away and Inuyasha grew more and more tense. Then he suddenly spoke again saying, “Watch me, Kagome.” He looked to her to watch her expression. What happened within the next few moments was amazing. He held her eyes with his as his power faded and his hair gradually turned black. His dog-ears disappeared and his eyes turned from gold to dark brown, almost a violet color. She watched in amazement as the hanyou she had become accustomed to became human before her very eyes within a matter of moments.
 
After the transformation was complete, he stood there waiting for her response. She was in awe. She didn't know how to explain how she felt. He was still a gorgeous man to her. Her feelings for him didn't change. To know he trusted her enough to show her his secret made her happy. He was opening himself up to her.
 
“Well? What do you think of me?” He asked pensively.
 
“Inuyasha, this is amazing. To see that you can become human and transform, that makes you one of a kind. You are just as handsome and gorgeous as you normally are. Now I see where you're good looks came from. Your mother must have been beautiful.” Kagome pointed out with a smile.
 
“Well, I guess. She was a beautiful princess. I don't know what my father looked like. He died the night of my birth. My mother raised me `til I was 8, then she died of a rare illness. After that, I was left to fend for myself. I practically raised myself. That's why calling your mother mom feels strange. I haven't had that opportunity since I was eight. And to think…That was over 600 years ago. Sounds so twisted.” He said with a smirk.
 
“Wow. I never knew you grew up parentless. I'm sorry, Inuyasha. It must have been hard for you. No one to guide you, no one to love you. There's one thing you must do now.” Kagome mentioned.
 
“What's that?”
 
“You must let go of everything that happened back then. Sure, those memories are what make you who you are, but look at your life now as a second chance at peace. You now have people who care about you, and those who can guide you if needed. There are also those now who need your care. You're life has turned around for the better. I just want you to be happy finally.” Kagome suggested as she tightened her grip on his arm and laid her head on his shoulder.
 
“Yes. I will.” He said silently as he reached his free arm over, held her close and laid his head upon hers as they both stood near the steps of the shrine, enjoying the skyline of Tokyo at night.
 
 
~*~
 
 
Heheheheheh…Told you this was an unusual chapter. It's long, and it says all. I'm very happy with how this chapter turned out, and I'm hoping you all feel the same. We'll just have to see what happens next, k? Ja ne for now!