InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Mysterious Little Visitor ❯ Scroll Two: What the Future Holds ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll Two: What the Future Holds

The companions all shared the same wondering expression. What did the kid mean? Did he truly say his name was…Inu-Yasha?

Everyone watched through the flickering firelight, the demon-boy that called himself Inu-Yasha.

The light played on his features, casting the shadows at different depths on the curves of his face. Firelight illuminated the young demon-boy's eyes; it reflected back to the group, like a dancing candle in the orbs of amber.

The demon-child gazed wistfully at the group in return as the wind blew back his long, silver-white hair, bright in contrast to the dark sky; two thick section of hair spilling over each shoulder.

He-he…looks just like Inu-Yasha… thought Kagome in slight shock.

"What do you mean?" questioned Inu-Yasha.

The boy replied, "It is my name."

Why in the hells does this kid have my name? Inu-Yasha wondered, studying the boy dog-demon with care.

The small one calling himself Inu-Yasha took one step towards everyone, holding his hands in front of himself as a sign of peace.

Miroku approached him, curiously saying, "My. That is a nice kimono. Do you come from a good home?" He eyed the boy's clothes.

"Yeah…" the boy mutter-grunted his reply. He moved to a log by the fire and sat, trying to warm up as he rubbed his hands together.

As thought, the boy's kimono was red. The exact same as---

"Fire rat's fur?" Kagome asked softly as she knelt beside by him.

His dog-ears twitched slightly, and he nodded. His tone became more polite and gentle, "Yes…" He averted his gaze from her. The little boy dipped his head, allowing his bangs to hide his eyes.

"Tell me," Kagome began, tenderly stroking his head, "what is wrong with your father."

Again, he nodded. The child took in a deep, quavering breath, attempting to relax.

Slowly he started. "Yesterday…was when it happened. Our village was attacked by a demon. A very powerful one at that." The images played through his mind. "Father…he wasn't scared of it. No demon ever scared him. But the thought of losing Mother did… He… He was fighting that cursed thing. It'd been conjured up by the uniting of many demons and monsters.

"They all hated him for destroying so many… Especially because of who he was… What he was..." He shook his head, allowing Kagome's hand to still stroke it.

He grit his teeth and hurried up slightly, a growl in his young voice. "They wanted to destroy him. They didn't care how. They wanted to make him pay." He breathed in, regaining control.

Kagome nodded. Poor kid…

Inu-Yasha listened with silent intrigue.

Still growling but slower, "As the battle raged on, it was obvious the outcome. For all their work and demons sacrificed, it was all in vain." Another bloody image flashed through, and blurred movements from a demon fighting a huge, vile beast. "As my father dealt the killing blow, blood coming from his wound on his left shoulder, that fucking thing managed to get him where it would burn with pain the most…

"His heart…"

All watched, not daring to make the faintest utterance.

The demon-child raised his head, shifting his gaze back to everyone; his eyes bright and fiery. The small voice grew darker and more menacingly, like all young purity was gone, "That shit-pieced, patchwork maggot sent an attack right at…" Fierceness dropped from his tone, into a quiet, frightened whisper. "My mother…"

"My father dove in front of it, shielding her…and me…" A tear slid down his cheek. "There was nothing I could do…" I am a disgrace…

Upon hearing that, Inu-Yasha 's heart almost broke. Painful memories of childhood rushed in. To be so small and weak, he knew first hand what that was like. He'd had to see his mother suffer unto death. He'd never known for sure if it was a demon or something else that stole her life away, but he had always suspected it, never believing that his mother died naturally.

She'd gotten sick so suddenly. She told him it'd be all right. It would be just fine.

But she got sicker and sicker.

It wasn't all right.

His mother died.

It wasn't all right or fine at all.

He was alone.

That had been the end of his childhood; the end of innocence. That was when he decided to become strong; leave vulnerability behind.

He'd become a full-demon by seeking the Shikon no Tama.

I know that feeling. And I know those tears, Inu-Yasha somberly reflected. And I also know the drive for power; to never be opposed or be meager…but with that comes…nothing of true value. Inu-Yasha peered over at the boy and Kagome.

The demon-boy was now sitting on Kagome's lap, burying his head on her shoulder.

She wrapped her arms around the trembling little body, keeping one hand on the back of his head, brushing the hair back and forth soothingly.

Gliding over softly, Sango and Kirara came near. The young woman leaned over. "Then what happened?" she murmured.

With a sniffle the boy turned his gaze to Sango. He looked so forlorn. Although the young golden orbs shimmered on the streaked little face, he met her eyes and nodded.

"Well… Papa…he…he'd seen the last desperate attack go hurtling at us… A fear and determination filled his face like I'd never seen before. And it stayed locked there…in his eyes…" He took in a deep breath again, feeling the hallow cavity in his chest rattle and shake. "The wretched beast died right after the assault, chuckling only for a short breath of time until it fell in tattered, bloody pieces of numerous bodies to the ground…

"Father had managed to land on his feet before tipping over on to his back; his chest rising and falling irregularly as he struggled to even out his strength…" More and more of the bloody sequences swiftly ran through the young demon-boy Inu-Yasha's mind.

"Mama and I saw what he'd jumped in front of…" Pools of tears formed but he pushed them away with the back of a clawed hand, forcing away his yearning to just sob and do nothing more. "I-it was a huge fang…guess it would have been really bright white if it hadn't been stained by all the blood… It was right there, sticking out of the left side of his chest… Mama and I were so scared." The crimson image of a powerful form forced to the ground. "But he…" His father's voice sounded strong and clear in his mind. "H-he just looked up at us and asked,

"'Are you all right? Damn thing…he was trying to hurt you; take you away from me…'

"The fang had pierced the flesh just above his heart. With every beat, it must've caused him so much pain.

"Mama… She was crying, her tears spilling on his chest-like raindrops-- as she cradled him. He reached up and touched her cheek for a moment, then with a loud yell, he ripped that fang out. Blood gushed…

"Our old advisor hopped over and shook his head… The fang was poisoned and had been quite sharp…a huge gouge…" The eyes began to glow with an anger that made his eyes redder. All fear disappeared from him, all of his quaking ceased.

The boy spat all the more as he recalled, "That misfit demon's energy came together like some form of putrid soul." He could hear the annoying voice grate against the grain of his mind, sarcastic and condescending, chortling repulsively. "It spoke,

"'Fool you are and always will be. You should have never tried to believe that in the end you'd truly win. Oh, do try to make yourself look more fierce; your family is watching. Do not worry, vile half-breed…

At that, Inu-Yasha's ears perked up.

"'You won't die yet. I'll let you suffer till you die. On the night the moon does not appear, you will perish!'

"With that, that twisted soul dispersed…" The child lowered his head once more on to Kagome's shoulder.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Ahhh! So you've made it this far, huh? You must've shown some interest in this. I'm glad. ^^. I hope you like the storyline. Basically, I thought up the idea, but I think Inu-Yasha is going to tell me what to do, huh?

Inu-Yasha: Damn right I will!

*Sighs* Dog-demons…

Inu-Yasha: HEY! I heard that!

It'd be impossible for you not to eavesdrop, eh dog-boy?

Inu-Yasha: Feh, I don't need to eavesdrop on some like you.

Oh, is that a fact? Alrighty then, just you wait… Lo, do I hear-Kouga talking to Kagome?

Inu-Yasha: WHAT! Why that lousy, no-good-! *dashes off*

Heh, heh, sucker…Kouga, not Inu-Yasha. Well, now that's off and floating I think I'll get to the third scroll. Till then, CYA!

~Moonlight Shadow

P.S. Like always feel free to drop me a line at: kaguya_kage@hotmail.com Buh-bye!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*