InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Mysterious Little Visitor ❯ Scroll Four: Take Heart ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll Four: Take Heart

~*~*~* "Heh. You really think you're something, don't you? Won't go on living after this, bastard…." The figure dodged an attack from a huge, festering creature-looked like a poison imp almost. "That all you got? You're not exactly what I'd call a trained killer." He leapt into the air and dove back down, a massive sword raised above his head.

"You worthless, stinking half-breed!" the monstrosity cried angrily, as one of the many arms was sliced off.

"Stinking half-breed, am I?" He chuckled, an arrogant and confident tone. "Well, I'm tough enough to kick your ass!" The figure sliced through the air, unleashing a huge force of wind at the creature.

"Gaaaargh! Insolence!" It began to fall apart, a walking bloody mess. It shot a large tentacle through the half-breed's left shoulder.

He slumped to the ground. "D-damn…." Blood began to trickle down his arm and over both his hands, washing the hilt of the sword with ruby tinge.

The creature laughed. "Kukuku…. My, having a problem? It wouldn't hurt now, would it?"

He rose to his feet catching his breath for a moment before smirking and chuckling. "Feh, don't get excited. It's only a flesh wound. I won't die to some low-level demon like you!"

"Pretty confident I see. Well then, we'll have to end it!"

"Like hell you will!" He dodged another attack and side-struck the creature. "Now to end this!" The sword began to emanate with power-

"No! I will not let this pass!"

A mixture of two energies surrounded the now crimson blade. Then down came a huge unleashing of energy that would split through the monster like the wind. "Too bad. It has. You were going to lose from the beginning."

It smirked, just as the blades of wind were flying towards it. "Fool!" It chuckled.

The figure's face shifted from a look of sheer arrogant confidence to terror. "NO!" A white fang shot out from the monster's mouth at a young woman and a small demon-boy on the porch of a nearby hut. "Look out!"

"Huh?" The young woman looked up. "Oh no!"

The little boy cringed as he gripped his mother's kimono.

"You are the one who's finished, worthless bastard." Then the blades hit and the creature rained down in ruddy tatters.

"AHHH!" the woman screamed as she tried to move her and her son away.

But then came the sickening sound of something piercing flesh.

And the cry of a man.

The mother and her son looked over to see the figure standing in front of them, with a crooked white fang sticking out of his chest; his sword thrown to the side, smoking from its undone transformation.

"Ugh! Agh!…. D-damn it!" he sputtered as he fell on to his back. He strained to breathe, struggling to even it out.

"Oh no! Poppa!" the little boy cried.

"No, please!" The young woman lifted him to her lap, cradling him, repeating his name over and over. "Please, be all right…." She stroked his face and hair over and over, tears raining down on to her husband's chest.

He gazed up at her with a very faint, confident smile that played on his lips. He rubbed his hand against her cheek gently before quickly moving his hand to the fang in his chest, wrapping around it so tightly that all the muscles in his arm tensed. With a loud cry and the sound of the fang being drawn from his flesh, it was ripped out, stained in scarlet. "Are you all right?" He glanced over at his wife and son. "Damn thing…he was trying to hurt you; take you away from me…." He made a hissing noise as he gasped for air.

"Poppa…." The little boy knelt beside his father. "A-are you gonna be ok?"

"Yeah, don't worry, Little Inu…. I'll be just fine."

A tiny shape bounced on to the gasping figure's shoulder. "My lord…." The form hopped to his neck and sucked, swelling larger and larger. "Ah…. Regrettably, Sire, this fang was poisoned. It is quite strong indeed." The no-longer-tiny shape rolled off and landed on the wooden porch that his lord was also on.

The sound of rushing wind filled everyone's ears; the little boy-Little Inu-flattened his and clamped his hands over them to help drown the noise out. A high-pitched tittering lifted from the swirl of evil energy that had begun to congregate. Its chortling was so aggravating and repulsive.

"Kukuku…. Fool you are and always will be. You should have never tried to believe that in the end you'd truly win."

Little Inu's father growled, a deep and savage growl. "You dirty-" He struggled to get up, but his wife placed a hand on his chest and he sat up no further; his eyes did not lessen their deadly, amber glare.

"Oh, do try to make yourself look more fierce; your family is watching." The makeshift soul reveled in the demise and strife it was causing. "Do not worry, vile half-breed…. You won't die yet. I'll let you suffer till you die." The wind began to shift, the cursed spirit's image beginning to distort. "On the night the moon does not appear, you will perish!" It rose into the air and vanished.

The words echoed over and over again in the boy's mind, as he watched his father bleed, cursing the demon-

"On the night the moon does not appear, you will perish!"

As his father stumbled, making his way to their home-a castle-in the woods-

"On the night the moon does not appear, you will perish!"

Ashe was brought, gasping for breath inside the castle, and laid down on a futon-

"On the night the moon does not appear, you will perish!"

When his breathing faltered---

"…night the moon does not appear, you will perish!"

And he coughed up blood-

"…moon does not appear, you will perish!"

When his mother and the old lady priestess began to tend to his wounds-

"…does not appear, you will perish!"

And when his mother cried, gripping tightly to his father's hand-

"…you will perish!"

Father's hand squeezed hers back, but it looked so lax-

"…you will perish!"

As Father's eyes closed slowly-

"…you will perish!"

Will his eyes stay closed like that forever?

"You will perish!"

Is there anyway I can help him? Please let me help him.

"You will perish!"

No! He can't!

"You will perish!"

Father! *~*~*~

"Father!" the boy kept screaming, thrashing violently around in his nightmare. "Father, no!"

"Inu-Yasha?" Kagome raced over to the little boy and shook him. "Wake up…. Wake up!"

"Father!…. M-Mother?" His eyes whipped open, coated with tears, his breathing hard. His little body shook as he stared Kagome straight in the eyes; the expression in them was unnerving.

"Shh…. It's ok…. You just had a nightmare, that's all." She hugged him, patting his back. "Are you all right?"

"Y-yes…. I'm fine…." He blinked his eyes several times before waking fully from his horrific dream. Yet, the words still pounded violently in his mind. He saw everyone was circled around him.

They'd all heard him cry out.

"Are you sure?" Sango asked, kneeling beside him.

"Positive…." He moved from Kagome's arms, and bowed his head. "Thank you all, but I'll be ok."

"Would you like something to eat?"

"That sounds really good!" the boy perked up a little with the cutest smile on his face ever. It was so big and bright; it could rival Shippo.

Miroku smiled. "Ah, it's good to see that a boy like you has a healthy appetite."

"What did you think my appetite would be like? Petite?" The boy got to his feet. "Come on!"

Kagome smiled softly. He's an amazing young boy. Reminds almost like a cross between Sota, Shippo, and Inu-Yasha: cute like Shippo and Sota, and everything else like Inu-Yasha. Something tugged on her leg.

"Kagome!" Shippo said, beaming up at her. "Why'd you get back to camp so late?"

"Eh?" She looked at him curiously. "What do you mean, Shippo?"

"I mean, you didn't get back for a while. I heard you walking back with Inu-Yasha."

At that, the fifteen-year-old girl blushed. "O-oh."

"Yeah. What were you two talking about?" The fox-child pressed, his cuteness almost unbearable to her.

She felt the burning in her cheeks get warmer. "Ah…well…." The temperature rose when she noticed that Inu-Yasha was gazing at her softly. "W-well…. Hey, Shippo, let's eat, ok?"

"But, Kagome-" he began, but stopped himself, thinking better of it. Mimicking the young dog-demon, he said just as cheerily, "Yeah! I'm starved!"

Kagome giggled. "All right."

The breakfast wasn't anything too eventful. It was about the same as every other morning or meal: Miroku got whapped over the head by a furious Sango; Shippo chattered about how good the food was; Kirara sat and nibbled here and there; Myoga tried his luck trying to suck someone's blood-when he was around that is--; Kagome would watch and sweat drop and laugh; Inu-Yasha just ate, shooting a few comments off from time to time.

Well, it wasn't completely typical due to the fact they had a young demon-child that appeared out of nowhere, knowing full well who they were, traveling with them.

That was when everyone-except for Inu-Yasha because he was preoccupied-decided that this kid had some connection to their ill tempered half-demon. Mainly when-

"All right, Kagome! You brought noodles!" Inu-Yasha yipped with joy at receiving his favorite food that Kagome brought back from her time: Miso Cup o' Noodles. He waited as patiently as he could, fidgeting about as he watched the girl warm up the water, add the noodles and cook. Then, finally, after what seemed like an eternity to him, they were done. He reached out, beaming happily when, suddenly; the noodles were no longer there. "Eh?"

"What is it, Inu-Yasha?" Miroku asked, as he stuck another piece of dried fruit in his mouth.

"Where'd my food go?" He searched around, peeking about everywhere. Maybe it was the stupid fox, he thought as he sniffed out Shippo's scent. If he did I'm gonna- A familiar sound reached his dog-ears.

SLURP!

Wait! That noise. That was his noise. Someone was eating his noodles!

Inu-Yasha growled. He sharply turned his head, his ears telling him where the culprit was.

Sitting was the dirty, low-leveled, yellow-bellied thief: the young dog-demon.

The boy slurped again. "Wow! Kagome, this is really good." He swallowed, his expression lively as he remembered fondly. "My mom makes this at home."

"Really?" she asked. But I didn't think Medieval Japan had these noodles yet…. I'll have to check my textbook later….

"Yeah. She's a good cook."

"Hey!" an angry, male voice yelled. Inu-Yasha stomped over, like a very unhappy little kid whose toy was taken away from him by his older sibling-which could've happened at one time. "What do you think you're doing?"

He met with the infuriated eyes. Very innocently he said, "Huh? What do you mean?"

"That's my breakfast!" the teenaged dog-demon fumed.

"Oh?" The kid looked down at his cup. "I should've realized…." he murmured with a bit of honoring tone.

"Damn right you should have!" He folded his arms.

"Inu-Yasha!" Kagome scolded.

"Feh." He rolled his eyes and stuck up his nose.

SLURP!

Inu-Yasha's neck cricked as he turned his head towards the boy again. "What?…."

"Mmm…. Now that you mention it, it does taste better than usual." The boy smirked gleefully. "Thanks."

The half-demon popped a vein. "Why you--!"

"Do it and I say it!" Kagome snapped.

He stopped his siege. He muttered something about stupid little kids and inconsiderate wenches.

"That's pretty gutsy of you," Shippo said in an almost admiring voice.

"Yeah, I know." I'm just glad she didn't say 'sit.'

"Say, you said your name was Inu-Yasha right?"

"Yeah. What of it?" He slurped some more of the noodles.

"It's kind of weird to call you that with Supreme Idiot over there-"

THUNK!

The teenaged dog-demon whapped Shippo over the head, veins popping. "What was that?!"

Shippo bowed several times. "Sorry, sorry. Nothing, nothing."

"Keh, I thought not."

"He said you're a Supreme Idiot," the young dog-demon stated easily, enjoying the look of anger spreading across the older demon's face. "No, scratch that. The Supreme Idiot."

Inu-Yasha got on one knee before the child, giving him a death glare. "You know, for a kid, you're pretty damned arrogant."

"So?"

"If I kick your ass, you won't be so bigheaded now will you?" He cracked his knuckles.

"Ooo… Is that a threat? Sure sounded like one. Even if it did come from a pup like you."

"Pup?! Why you--!" He swung at the kid, who jumped backwards, and landed to the ground gingerly; then kicked off and whacked him on the head.

"Ha. Idiot." The boy landed again, his cup of noodles still in one hand.

"Hey! Just who the hell do you think you are?!"

He smirked. "I'm me. Have to live up to my family legacy."

That kid is…fast…. Inu-Yasha growled once before flopping to the ground angrily, a bump beginning to form.

"Like I was saying," Shippo started again, "do you have another name we could call you? To help stop confusion."

"Ah what? Oh yeah. I guess…." The boy glanced down and kicked at the dirt with his foot.

"What is it?" Kagome asked, handing Inu-Yasha another cup of noodles, which he took a bit sulkily. "Don't be like that. You should've just let him have it."

"Grr…. You're fucking right I should've let him it…though it wouldn't have been noodles." He took a lot in between his chopsticks and shoved it in his mouth, chewing rather loudly.

The demon-boy squashed the empty paper cup beneath a foot. "My family calls me Little Inu."

"Little Inu?" Kagome sat down in the grass by Inu-Yasha. "Why do they call you that?"

"Well…. Coupa says it's because I'm young and little." He grit his teeth in slight annoyance.

"Coupa? Who's that?"

"My elder brother. He's so full of it."

Sango lifted Kirara on to her lap. "How many siblings do you have, Little Inu?"

"There's five of us all together. Coupa is the eldest, only by a little bit. See he has a twin sister, Setsi."

"Eh?" Inu-Yasha murmured, breaking out of his sulking mode. Setsi? "Like short for Setsuna, right?"

"Yeah."

That was Mother's name…Setsuna….

"Setsi, isn't beautiful out?" a tall man said-he was a demon. He smiled gently at the gorgeous young woman standing next to him.

"Mm…. It is." She leaned up against him.

Surprisingly, this great demon-lord was blushing. "Ah…." He cleared his throat, shifting his eyes around almost nervously. "I love you…."

She smiled sweetly at him, linking arms with him and squeezing his arm. "I love you too."

"I am glad I have found you."

"And I you. Please, be careful on your journeys; I always fear for your safety."

He nodded. "Do not worry. My feelings for you are what keep me strong…and with heart."

"Momma!" A young Inu-Yasha came around the corner and hugged to his mother's kimono. "I couldn't find you!" Tears were in his little eyes. "The other kids were picking on me…. Stupid jerks!"

"Now, now, my son," said the demon-lord gently, "they just do not understand…."

The memory drifted off from Inu-Yasha's mind.

He shook his head as he continued listening to Little Inu.

"After Setsi is Soto, then after him is Hime, and then me."

"My, quite a busy lot I'd say," Miroku murmured, a slight chuckle in his voice.

"But, Miroku," the fox-child said, looking up at him oddly, "you did just say that."

The young monk sighed and shook his head. "Never mind, Shippo."

"Hey, what did you mean when you said they were busy, anyway?"

Miroku sweat dropped. "Shippo…." He shook his head again.

"Is this another one of these things we'll talk about when I'm older?" he asked tiredly.

"Yes."

"What is this herb exactly that your father needs?" Sango questioned, a little perturbed by Miroku's constant perverted thoughts.

"It's called Hakushinmu. 'White Heart Wind.'"

"I have heard of such an herb; a wonder for healing all forms of poisons and causes of illness," Miroku said softly, running his fingers over his staff. "It is a very powerful herb indeed. But I do not know where to find it."

Little Inu smirked. "Well, that's what I do know. It's guarded by a powerful demon. A form of dragon, I believe. Father battled it once, before I, or any of my brothers and sisters, were born."

"So it's dead already, right?" Shippo said, clambering up to Kagome's shoulder.

"Well, not exactly. You see he did fight it and won. But it exists here and now whereas it does not when I live."

"I don't follow you."

He sighed. "It's complicated. Look, I'm not from this time. I'm from twelve years from now."

"Huh?" Kagome looked confused. "What do you mean? How did you travel twelve years into the past?"

"Same as you travel five hundred years: through the Bone-Eaters Well."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Well that was long, don't you think? I do. But I felt the chapters were a bit short. This one was kind of odd; I think it was finals that drove me to such strange and maddening extremes. Anyways, the next scroll will tell a bit about Little Inu's travels through the Bone-Eaters Well. I'm sure all of you know who his parents are. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* Heh. If not, that's all right. What do you think of the boy's nickname? (Little Inu) I like it personally. I think it turned out pretty well, despite the tiny bits of sadness from the nightmare at the beginning-

Inu-Yasha: Hey! Why'd you make me look like such a stupid, dumb ass loser?! Eh?!

*coolly*: You bring it upon yourself.

Inu-Yasha: *growls* You-! Why I outta-!

Do it and I tell Kagome.

Inu-Yasha: *crosses his arms, and sticks his nose up in the air* Keh! Like I really care about what she'll do to me-

*Kagome storms in* Kagome: *angrily* Why you! Maybe I should let her write in you asleep with your thumb in your mouth!

Inu-Yasha: *shrinking back* D-Don't get mad. I'm sorry. Really-

Kagome: Sit!

*watches the dust settle and Inu-Yasha kissing the ground*

I think that's enough Inu-chan torture for now. Till next time! CYA L8ER!

~Moonlight Shadow

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*