InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Mysterious Little Visitor ❯ Scroll Eleven: The Benign and the Malign ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Oh, my goodness…. You poor people that actually read these crappy things for the past 5 times here and however many other times with my other fics…. Ok, well, Inu-Yasha refuses to belong to me; therefore, according to hero-heroine clause number 403, those destined to be in love belong to one another, especially in the case where one (typically the hero) is subservient to the other. Hence, Inu-Yasha belongs to none other than Kagome! However, Shiokki, Jumiyo, Little Inu, and all of the other characters belong to me, and cannot be used without my express permission; this storyline is mine also. Thanks.

A/N: Quickie! Would you like me to go back and add more detail to the first couple of chapters, or leave them alone? Please send me e-mail people and let me know! On with story, ja!

Scroll Eleven: The Benign and the Malign

Ju-…Jumiyo…. Shiokki's mind whirled as he stared from his position on the blood soaked stone, watching mutely at the young couple huddled together; they remained within the comfort of the other's nearness, both physically and also, it seemed, emotionally, whilst sakura petals danced untamed about them in the crimson smoke that had begun to dissipate. Pain rippled through Shiokki's entire torso, and his head reeled. But, that wasn't the most agonizing thing. He tried to move, yet his body was jaded, so he remained, unnoticed by the odd company within his grotto. Fatigued, Shiokki leisurely let his eyes drift closed and allowed his mind to open the dam on all the memories that haunted him significantly, cool air washing over his battered face.

"Sir?Sir?" a young woman was asking, crouching beside Shiokki. He was laying there, motionless, throat dry; he couldn't even recall how long he'd been stuck there on that beach. He gaped blankly at the maiden, attempting to speak. She placed a finger to his chapped lips, a smile playing gently on her own pink ones. "Please, do not talk." Carefully, the girl slipped one of his arms over her shoulders and hefted most of his weight onto her as she stood, starting to tread charily towards the nearby mountain. "I am Jumiyo."

That was the last thing Shiokki heard before passing out. When he awoke several hours later, he found that all the wounds he'd received from the migrating Gokurakucho that attacked him on his way to MountFireSoul had been healed. The young man's parched throat had been remedied and when he sat up, he found he wasn't light-headed, although his ribs were awful sore as was his left leg.

Jumiyo sat in the corner, stoking a fire with a stick. She swiveled her head upon hearing him rise a bit. "Ah, so you've awoken." She smiled softly. "I'm glad."

Shiokki nodded, leaning back on his palms. "Yeah, I'm awake. How long was I asleep?"

"Oh, from about early morning to now, which is the early evening." She rose from her spot, her kimono swishing quietly with her. Settling noiselessly beside him, Jumiyo dipped a cloth into the bowl of water that was to his left and began cleaning off his countenance.

He blinked. "Huh? What are you doing? I'm healed, aren't I?" he queried curiously, tipping his head to the side.

Staring at him, she shook her head and giggled. "Yes, thereabouts, but your face has some sand and blood still stuck to it. Please, sir…?" The maiden of the mountain peered at him, awaiting an answer, the cloth temporarily suspended in her grasp, away from his face.

Remembering his mission from his employers, he replied, "My name is Shiokki, Lady Jumiyo." He took a good look at her face; it had a benevolent curvature to all of the features. Her hair was a silvery color, though it reminded him of snow with just a coating of ice on top. Jumiyo's eyes were a striking jade, accented by dark, thick lashes. She was fair-skinned, probably from living so close to the snowy summit, although the cave they were in was quite warm and homey.

Giving a brief dip of her head, the young woman initiated dabbing at Shiokki's visage, moving it over his tanned facial aspects in circular strokes. "What happened to you that you were injured?" she asked softly after a time.

"I was flying over the ocean as a shortcut to another destination when, while I was resting on the mainland, I was attacked by a flock of Gokurakucho." He slouched forward a bit, resting his arms on his legs, though the tender ministrations did not stop. "I fought them and managed to vanquish them but not without the price of injury…. I passed out and when I awoke, there was you were." He grinned somewhat weakly; getting attacked by those freakish birds had not been part of the main idea of this mission, though it had turned out very fortuitous for him.

"I see..." she murmured, leaning closer to remove an especially stubborn caking of dirt by his hairline. "Tell me, you mentioned you could fly, Lord Shiokki…. How exactly can you accomplish that?" The maiden, satisfied with finally eliminating the spot, rested her bottom on her heels; her hands began rinsing the white rag in the small bowl of water.

"I am dragon, m'lady"

"Very interesting."Her green eyes flickered onto him briefly. "Now, you're not going anywhere soon." She waggled a finger at him, which sent a few droplets of water flying, staring at him as she spoke; dark, thin eyebrows knitted in seriousness. "You've broken a few of your ribs and fractured your left leg. Even the medicine I've given you will take a small time." She returned her gaze to her temporarily halted action, talking with a calm sweetness. "All the same, you'll heal faster than most will, and being a dragon will increase your rate of recovery."

Shiokki thought for a moment, scrutinizing the girl as she worked; she seemed so in tune with what she was focused on, her visage filled with merriment nonetheless. Asking rather quietly, "Are you not the keeper of the Hakushinmu herbs?"

Peering up from her minor task once more, Jumiyo nodded. "Yes. I am she."

"Get company often?"

"Oh, for a bit, usually; I do get some visitors from the local villages." She smiled, wiping her hands off on her pink and white kimono; the design reminded Shiokki of a dance of flower petals the way the colors mingled.

Forgetting his job for a moment, the dragon boy interrogated, with the sound of somber curiosity present in his tone, "Don't…don't you get lonely, you know, being here by yourself?"

Startled for a moment, Jumiyo's smile revived. "Lonely?" she laughingly echoed. "I suppose people would think that, especially since the Hakushinmu herbs are quite picky about who tends them, but…knowing that I'm doing so much good in the world, and the fact so many come to encourage me, it makes it all worthwhile and I don't feel any sting of loneliness…." Tipping her head, her eyes meeting his when she finished mellifluously, "Only joy."

Several weeks passed, and Shiokki's injuries were fading at an unfathomable rate…though, they weren't just physical; some of the emotional scars were beginning to disappear as well. Each day, a new kindness bloomed within his heart, due to the gentle administrations of Jumiyo's nurturing and the angst of before lessened. More and more, he found himself focusing less on his mission and allowing his attention to divert to other things.

Every morning, Jumiyo would check on Shiokki's progress, and bring him something delectable for breakfast. For a good part of the day, the boy would assist her in grinding the Hakushinmu herbs into powders, and making them into paste. At the onset, he did his work with feigned vigor, yet now, he was thoroughly enjoying himself and took pride in the task she assigned to him. They would take a break at lunch, discussing the day's events thus far, whilst watching the scene below their high locality on MountFireSoul, looking down at the lush forest that stretched before them. After their recess, the pair would continue on with their work until dusk; by then the dragon boy was beginning to feel drained due to his not-fully-healed state. Every night, Jumiyo would make sure he was comfortably situated by the fire with plenty of furs and blankets to aid him in warmth, then, the lovely maid would sing to him until he drifted to sleep.

Although the work could be arduous, it was always good-natured and fun, and Jumiyo loved to laugh a lot; Shiokki grew to love that laugh…

In fact, Shiokki grew to love Jumiyo very much…

One night, after the girl had bedded down for the evening, the dragon boy-almost restored-waited until he was sure her breaths were soft and even. The telltale signification of slumber assured, he slid the cozy coverlets off his body and began to creep silently off the bed of soft animal skin and fur. Crawling on his knees, Shiokki drew nearer to the sleeping form, her face caught in serene beauty. Judging from the inky blackness outside their bauble of firelight, the boy inferred it was after midnight; he'd feigned slumber as he had usually, enjoying the gentle brush of her lips on his forehead before she moved to her own futon.

He finally reached her and stopped, his heart pounding so violently in his chest, he was sure it was capable of one of two things; the first being utter arrest, or the second being it burst through his flesh. Placing a calloused palm over the fervent organ for a moment, Shiokki stared at the lovely evanescence, pursing his lips as he contemplated. He smiled as he achieved a definite on his ponderings. Removing the hand from his chest, the dragon boy laid it to Jumiyo's soft, pink cheek. He leaned towards her, closing his eyes and tilting his head as he surrendered his heart to the quiescent maid…

"Shiokki?" came a tender feminine voice; lightly balmy breath-laced with green tea-tickled his nose.

Slowly venturing to part his eyelids, Shiokki's gaze came to rest in the deep pools of blue-green; a subtle glow danced on the water-like surface of the girl's orbs. Her hair of platinum shimmered around her face, like a halo, so befitting to this angel of mercy. He took his fingers, the one that was not cupping Jumiyo's cheek, and swept her mussed bangs for a moment before saying anything in response.

It felt like eternity as he loitered over the girl; an approximation so precise that he could almost taste the rosy lips that he yearned to press his own against. Yet, at the same instant, Shiokki felt guilty deep within his heart, wondering what a mercenary-such a rogue-like himself could offer such a fair lass, a kindhearted, honest woman who was so far out of reach. A pure girl of virgin spirit would find nothing worthwhile when he juxtaposed his own blackened past in comparison.

"Ju-Jumiyo…I-I…I'm sorry…" he finally managed to utter, voice gravely and thick as he dared to whisper the celestial incantation, as if, in saying her name, she would see all the inequities of his character and be absolutely repulsed by them…rightfully so, he believed. Still, as much as he condemned himself, Shiokki's longing stare refused to shift from the girl's own imploring gaze.

"Sorry? Why are you sorry?"

"I…I..." the dragon boy's fierce courage, true surly attitude, and uncaring nature did nothing for him as he feebly trailed off, his heart overtaking his mind. "I…I tried to kiss you…Lady Jumiyo…."

The girl's eyes grew wider, like the wide ocean he'd once flown over to see her; whatever was piercing her thoughts were not interpretable due to the depthless layers of her soul; he would have to see for himself what her reaction would be. Good or bad. "You don't have to be formal with me, Shiokki."

Surprise flooded Shiokki's visage without vacillation when he felt a palm, smoother than silk, and dexterous fingertips tentatively, lovingly, gracing his features. A serene smile lighted Jumiyo's face as the fire gave a last futile pop prior to gradually dimming, embers keeping a claret vigil on the cave floor.

And something in his heart lifted, the last weight of wretchedness dispersed when he saw the meaning in her intense peering….

Their lips met in a melting kiss, yet temperate nonetheless. A short time passed when they separated, Jumiyo's hand resting gingerly on the back of the boy's neck. "Shiokki…?"

"Yes, Jumiyo?"

Running a finger down the nape of his neck, intertwining with his mane, she softly confessed, "I love you."

Half-smirking, half-smiling, Shiokki quietly replied, "I love-"

"Hey, guys, I think I see something!" Shippo's voice echoed off of the grotto, a bluish flame swirling from his outstretched palms. "I wonder what it is…?"

Little Inu trotted up beside him, soon followed by Sango-being supported by Miroku-with Kirara on her shoulder, and Inu-Yasha and Kagome in the rear; their shapes rather opaque with a sapphire tint when visible.

Shiokki stared up at them, from his sprawled position on his stomach, his mouth slacked stupidly open.

Inu-Yasha glowered down on the injured dragon boy, his hand still clasping the Tetsusaiga firmly. "Keh, pathetic…. Might as well put you out of your misery; you smell like death, anyway."

"Inu-Yasha, wait!" Kagome cried, releasing his left hand, which she'd been holding, stepping closer to the fallen Shiokki. "His youki is totally different now! Please, he's not evil, I know it." She pleaded with him verbally and with the sympathetic expression in her cobalt eyes, making him shift a bit as he mentally agreed to search his prey fore making any moves.

All of his sense working at once, one in particular picked up something…like a gurgling sound…. Inu-Yasha's dog ears perked a bit and his countenance sagged to a bit milder temperament.

"Inu-Yasha, what is it?" queried Miroku, giving his hanyou friend an askance look, amidst holding Sango around the waist and playing the beam of the flashlight the girl-from-the-future had supplied him with onto battered mass that was Shiokki.

The dog-demon said nothing in reply as he wiped the blade of his katana while it transformed, slipping it back into the ebony scabbard. The fresh aroma of blood tickled at his sensitive nose in a piquant, metallic way. His ears continued to move like finely tuned satellites as he got to his haunches beside Shiokki. Listening again, he gravely nodded before lifting one of the dragon boy's bloodied arms over his shoulder.

"What did he say?" asked Shippo curiously, taking safety on the monk's shoulder.

Looking down for a moment as he balanced the other man's body, shuffling back out to the outer, brighter cavern where the torches still burned, Inu-Yasha stopped to crane his neck and peer back at his friends. "He said one thing…Jumiyo…."

~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N: Hey! Sorry for not updating. School started not long after and since I've been working on other stuff…. Anyways, thanks for the reviews, and I'd really like some more. Sorry about the length again, but this is actually a very hard chapter-for me-to write. Don't know why. In any case, thanks to all my family and friends that have been keeping up with my work and I hope this is good. Also, please don't harangue me for not updating as fast as you might like; I appreciate reviews, but I do have a life and also I have some very tough classes this year along with a stupid cold that's set me back. Grr…. All right, enough complaining. Inu-Yasha is currently absent, so no torture for him… Damn…. Please keep reading and check out my newest stuff: "My Immortal (And Other SongFics)", as well as: "On a Leash", "On Vacation", "Shikon High", "Hugs and Kisses (And Other One Shots)". Please keep reviewing and I'll be more than happy to keep writing, but it's going to be slow like this because of writer's block and school. Ok?

Ja ne,

~Moonlight Shadow

Japanese used:

Gokurakucho-Birds of Paradise (Kouga's wolf tribe's sworn enemy; mainly sucked into Miroku's Kazaana. All are dead.)