InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 24: Inuyasha's Challenge ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Hello my wonderful fans and very wonderful reviewers! I am so glad that you all decided to review so quickly! Well, guess what? You get the next chapter! YAY!!! Oh, and for the next few chapters I am going to be including music in parts of the story just to add a little more dramatic effect. For this chapter you will need Inuyasha and Kagome's Theme. You know the theme they always play in the background of the anime when Inuyasha and Kagome get all fluffy!!! You can easily download it from different Inuyasha sites or on Kazaa. Oh, and I don't want anyone telling me how that is illegal or what not. Off a website technically is not…Kazaa is, yes, but it is for the good of the people! Haha! So there!

Okay, how `bout I answer some reviews?

I have taken all of you guys' advice into account and I have decided to make the story a long one…not too long though! That's the way most of you guys wanted it!

First, there were WAY too many reviews to answer them all regarding my question about whether or not to make the story longer!!! Not that I'm complaining! Actually * starts crying literally* You guys really like the story! WOW! I love you guys!!! THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL THE REVIEWERS SINCE CHAPTER 22!!!

Runishie KagomeReborn

Inusdemoness kagomeDinuhanyou

Secrets jubilation

Inuyasha's girl, Kagome Kaye

InuKitsuneMiko Roru-chan

KatrinaXaten WaterGoddess9

Kitsune_Bi Sumechick15

Higurashi Kagome Firestarter88

Zuppy70 Inu-baby4life

Ladykaa28 Weirdmanian

Babsie 09bee

Black death angel Fuyumiko

Relix kagOmE?

Angelbabe17 Laxsa

Kitsunefirelover Zalax

Fireash Condonnare

Lil'Inu Esther Tan

Dreopje001 saccharine-ish

Broken_angel lil_sesshi

Me Lor

Now for the most recent reviews! There are actually 12 since yesterday! *applauds for fans * Great job guys!!!

Fireash: Thanks! Tell you what! As soon as I get done with finals, I will go and read a couple of your stories!

Esther Tan: Ehehe! Doesn't everyone love Kouga? Agh! *ducks as fruit is thrown at her * No actually I brought Kouga in because I always love it when he comes on the scene in the anime. It makes Inu so jealous! It lets me know how much he really does care for her!

Relix: Awww! Thank you! Keep reading!

Lil'Inu: * pats Lil'Inu on the back in an effort to calm down* It's okay! Kouga will be put in his place! I promise! Just relax and read the rest of the story! LOL!

RavenShadow: *blinks a couple of times * Wow! You really like my fic! YAY!!! Thank you for your wonderful review! I will keep the updates coming!

InusDemoness: Ehehe! Sorry! Guess I get a little carried away! Thanks for pointing that out though! I will be aware of it from now on!

Higurashi Kagome: Awww! Thank you! I can't wait to see what happens next either, so everyone read and review!

Kitsune_Bi: Yep! I try to stay along the same lines of the anime, just with my own little twist to it! I like to read fics that have the same characters, but are original in their own little way. I think if you change the characters too much, the fic isn't as interesting because you can't imagine it really happening on the anime! And let's face it! We all want to see Kagome and Inuyasha kiss! Thanks!

Kaye: Yes, yes, it's evil! I know, but at least you guys aren't slaughtering me like you did with that really bad cliffy before! * shudders at the thought*

Saccharine-ish: Yeah! Kag and Inu will get closer and closer to admitting their feelings from now on and there will be at least a little fluff in every chapter to follow!

Firedemon86: Will Inu save her? Hmm…I don't know! LOL! Read this chapter to find out!

InuKitsuneMiko: * watches as InuKitsuneMiko has a fit* O_O You done? LOL! Okay! Here is your chapter!

Blazingnymph7: Hmm…cool name! LOL! Yeah, I guess Kagome has earned a kiss! Haha! Without spoiling it for you, all I can say is that Sango and Miroku will have something to do with a very special Inu/Kag moment! ;P

Runishie: Awww! * hugs Runishie for being such a loyal fan* Thank you!

Thanks again guys! Now for the best part……..THE NEXT CHAPTER!!! YAY!!!

Chapter 24

Inuyasha glanced back when he saw the others had caught up to him. `Kagome,' Inuyasha thought. `Kagome, hang in there! I'm coming for you, Kagome!'

`He's so fast!' Kagome thought as she held on for dear life. Kouga was traveling so fast that even if she had a way to contact Inuyasha, she would have no clue how to tell him where she was. The forest and mountains whizzed by in a blur. This continued for some time until Kagome thought she was going to be sick. Kouga glanced at Kagome and slowed down a little when he realized she could be getting sick. There was nothing worse than the smell of human vomit. It was enough to make a demon pass out.

Finally, they reached Kouga's den. He let Kagome stand next to him and walked into his den. Kagome looked around. There were wolves and wolf demons everywhere. `This must be his den,' she thought. `These wolves look hungry. Maybe if I play along with the whole `I'm your woman' thing. I can survive until Inuyasha gets here.'

"Kouga!" one of the wolf demon cried. "Did you bring us something to eat?"

Kouga growled. "She is not for eating!"

`They ARE going to eat me!' Kagome thought.

"This is Kagome Higurashi…my new woman!" Kouga announced proudly. Everyone gasped and Kagome couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"Ginta! Hakkaku! Look after Kagome! The rest of you follow me! We need to go hunting to prepare a magnificent feast to welcome Kagome!" Kouga ordered. Everyone cheered. Kouga grabbed Kagome's hands in his. "Good-bye Kagome. I will be back soon!" Kagome smiled and nodded her head. With that, Kouga and the others took off into the woods in search of food. `Hurry Inuyasha,' Kagome thought.

Meanwhile, Inuyasha and the others were still chasing after Kouga. Inuyasha was on his hands and knees sniffing the ground. Every now and then, he would catch wind of Kagome's scent and go running after her with the rest of the gang hot on his heels only to stop again and sniff the ground some more.

"Do you think Kagome is okay?" Sango asked Miroku. Miroku shrugged his shoulders.

"Perhaps," Miroku answered. "It didn't appear as if Kouga was interested in harming her. He seemed to want to take Kagome as his mate and that's all. If you want to know the truth, the worse thing that could have happened to her is for her to have been taken advantage of by Kouga, and I do not believe that has happened yet." Inuyasha's ears picked up the entire statement. He whirled around and glared at Miroku.

"What do you mean YET? Nothing has happened to her!!! Nothing will happen to her! Now shut the fuck up and do what you can to help!" Inuyasha yelled as he turned back to continue sniffing the ground.

"Inuyasha is really beating himself up over this isn't he?" Sango whispered to Miroku. Miroku nodded his head.

"Inuyasha and I had a conversation before we even went into the mountains," Miroku whispered back. "Inuyasha knew there was a demon ahead, but refused to go around the mountains. He swore he wouldn't let anything happen to anyone, and as luck would have it, something happened to Kagome, the person he cares most about and there was nothing he could do to stop it." Sango nodded and sighed.

"Poor guy," she whispered. Miroku nodded. Inuyasha, meanwhile, hadn't paid any attention to them and continued to sniff the ground.

"This way!" he said suddenly jumping up and running in that direction. Sango, Miroku, Shippo, Myouga, and Kirara were hot on his heels. They too wanted to make sure Kagome was okay.

It soon became night as Kagome sat around with Ginta and Hakkaku. She sighed. She hadn't said much the entire time. `Are they not coming for me?' Kagome thought. It was night already, hours since she had been kidnapped. `What if they got lost and couldn't find me?' Ginta and Hakkaku couldn't take it any more.

"Sister, is something wrong?" Ginta asked. Kagome looked up at them.

"Sister?" she asked puzzled.

"Yes," Hakkaku said. "Since you are Kouga's woman, you are our sister." Kagome sweat dropped. She was actually beginning to get scared despite her strong character. She was afraid that Inuyasha would never come. That frightened her.

"It's nothing," she said. "Have you two ever been without your tribe for a while?" They both were kind of taken aback.

"N-No," Hakkaku said.

"We would probably freak out and not survive if we were separated from our tribe," Ginta said suddenly realizing what Kagome meant.

"Well, then can you understand how I feel?" she asked. They nodded their heads.

"You miss your family?" Hakkaku asked.

"Something like that," Kagome replied. "I miss my companions. I was traveling with a group of friends when Kouga kidnapped me. Now, I'm afraid that they are lost or will never come for me." Ginta and Hakkaku exchanged glances. They didn't know what to say.

"Kouga really is a nice guy," Ginta said.

"Yeah, he takes really good care of his tribe," Hakkaku said. "We all would have died multiple times had he not saved us." Kagome smiled slightly.

"I have no doubt that he's a good person, but I think he doesn't understand that I am not happy here," she said. "I want to go home…" She began to cry a little.

"Don't cry, sis!" Ginta said. "Who knows! Maybe you can learn to like it here." Kagome wiped the tears from her eyes and looked at them. `The people of this tribe are actually good people. They are really nice to me. Perhaps, I could learn to like this place if Inuyasha never comes. For the meantime, I need to at least pretend I like it here so Kouga won't take off to kill Inuyasha in an effort to make me forget about him,' she thought. She nodded her head.

"Perhaps, I can learn to like this place," she said. "Tell me more about Kouga." Ginta and Hakkaku smiled brightly as they began rambling on about how strong and fast he was, and how compassionate and loving he was to his tribe. He was a great leader.

Finally, Kouga showed himself. "Hello, Kagome," Kouga said. Kagome decided to play along. If Inuyasha was near, then Kagome could distract Kouga.

"Welcome back, Kouga," she said. "You had me worried you weren't going to come back for me." Kouga smiled brightly.

"Never, dear Kagome," he said with a smile as he lifted her to her feet. "Come dear, I have a surprise for you." Kagome smiled and allowed Kouga to lead her into the heart of the den where there was a celebration taking place. A huge fire had been built in the center of the celebration with many different types of wild animals roasting above it. Vegetables and fruits lay atop what appeared to be tables made from rocks and stones. Music was coming from somewhere and everyone was dancing and drinking sake. Flowers adorned the entire area and a sparkling waterfall flowed nearby. If Kagome hadn't have known where she was, she would have thought she were at some kind of luau. When everyone saw Kagome, they cheered for her and presented her with a flower necklace. Shocked was an understatement of how Kagome felt. She couldn't believe what was happening. She looked up at Kouga and smiled. He smiled back at her.

"Everyone, I would like you to meet my woman, Kagome!" Kouga announced. Kagome flinched every time he said that. `Why do I feel like I am betraying Inuyasha?' Kagome thought.

"Come on, Kagome!" Kouga said holding her hand and pulling to the fire. "Dance with me!" Kagome decided to dance and take the opportunity to make Kouga think she was interested in him. `If I keep this up, Kouga will surely be distracted by me and never know if Inuyasha is in the vicinity. The last thing I need is for Kouga to run off with me again,' she thought. `Forgive me, Inuyasha.' She smiled and began dancing with Kouga.

Inuyasha growled. He could feel something was not right. He felt as if something was going on. He continued to sniff the ground. `What's happening Kagome?' he thought. `Are you okay?' It was then that he could have sworn he heard her voice.

"Forgive me, Inuyasha," he heard her say. Inuyasha jolted straight up. His face held confusion, uncertainty, and sadness, but most of all…he was scared. He had no idea what was happening to Kagome. It scared him to death to know that something could be happening to her and he was no where around to protect her. Inuyasha's eyes quivered in fear as he stared straight ahead. The others had noticed Inuyasha's sudden reaction and weren't quite sure what to make of it.

"Inuyasha?" Sango asked. "What is it? Are you okay? Is Kagome okay? Did you pick up something on her?" Inuyasha turned around slowly with a shocked expression.

"I…I heard her…" he said almost as if a ghost had just spoken to him. Sango and Miroku exchanged glances.

"Great!" Miroku said smile. "So lead the way to her!"

"No," Inuyasha said shaking his head. "I didn't hear her like that. It was like…it was…in my head. It was like she spoke to me telepathically or something." Miroku and Sango looked at each other as if to say their hanyou friend had officially lost it.

"Really?" Myouga said stepping forward with a grin. Inuyasha nodded skeptically at his servant. "Good. Well, at least we know she is okay. Let's continue our search for Lady Kagome." Inuyasha nodded and quickly continued to sniff the ground when he realized he was wasting time. Myouga turned around to Sango and Miroku.

"What is it? Do you know something about what Inuyasha said? Is it possible that Kagome could have communicated with him telepathically," Miroku asked. Myouga nodded his head.

"Perhaps," he said. "Lady Kagome is a very powerful priestess and Inuyasha is a half-demon. The two of them obviously have a strong connection with one another, otherwise, it would have never worked. The only other time I have ever seen it happen was between Inuyasha's mother and father. It only happens in intense situations and among animal demons because they have keener senses." Miroku and Sango nodded their heads. Shippo sat in awe. Inuyasha glanced back. He had heard a little of what Myouga had said. Suddenly, he found Kagome's scent. It was strong. He jumped up.

"Kagome scent is stronger than ever! This way!" he said and took off running again. `Kagome, just hang in there,' he thought. `I'm coming!' Inuyasha's emotions were starting to get the better of him. He really didn't know what was going on with Kagome, nor how she managed to communicate with him. Finally, against his better judgement, he yelled.

"KAGOME! DON'T YOU GIVE UP ON ME!!!" he howled.

Kagome gasped. She could have sworn she just heard Inuyasha. She looked around the campsite and found only wolves.

"You okay?" Kouga asked.

"Huh? Oh yeah," she said. "Just a little nervous about being in a new place." Kouga smiled. `At least he bought it,' she thought.

"It's okay," Kouga said pulling Kagome close. "I won't let anything happen to you." Kagome smiled. `I need to be more careful,' she thought. Suddenly, Kagome got another chill. It was Inuyasha. She could sense him. He was close and getting closer by the second. She glanced around the campsite. `Inuyasha doesn't stand a chance against all of these wolves,' she thought. `Knowing Inuyasha, he'll come ransacking through the whole place. I've got to lure Kouga away from here.' Kagome smiled up at Kouga and took his hand in hers.

"Kouga?" she said with a pleading, sympathetic look.

"Hmm?" he said.

"Do you think we could go for a walk?" she asked. "You know just to get away from all of this and get to know each other a little better." Kouga's eyes brightened. He agreed almost immediately and the two walked away together in the woods much to the tribe's delight. They finally came to a cliff over looking the most beautiful valley Kagome had ever seen. The moon shown brightly upon the valley accentuating its beauty. Kouga sat down and pat the ground next to him. Kagome smiled and sat down.

"Wow!" she said. "This is beautiful!" Kouga nodded his head.

"I sometimes come here to think," Kouga said.

"What about?" Kagome said brushing off her skirt.

"Mostly about the welfare of the tribe. Sometimes food is hard to find, but we choose to live here in peaceful harmony no matter the circumstances," he said.

"Have you ever been to the city?" Kagome asked. Kouga shook his head.

"We are a wolf tribe," he said. "We care only about each other. I have no desire to visit the city. I hear of its wars and gangs and cruelty. I would much rather live here peacefully." Kagome smiled. She had to admit that Kouga wasn't such a bad guy. He was actually very nice and seemed to be really caring. `No wonder he wasn't killed during purification,' she thought.

"You seem to care a lot about your tribe," she said. Kouga nodded.

"I'm getting older and it is time that I took a wife. I need a pup to take over my position when I pass on," he said looking off into the valley. Kagome flinched a little because she knew he was referring to her. Kouga looked at her and took her hands into his.

"Kagome," he said. "You may take your time in making your decision, but I would like for you to be my wife." Kagome gulped. She was flattered, but she couldn't.

"I…I can't," Kagome said taking her hands back. Kouga gave her a confused look. Kagome blushed and stared at the ground.

"Why?" Kouga said. He frowned. "Is it because of that mutt?"

"His name is Inuyasha!" Kagome said angrily. "I would appreciate it if you would treat him with a little more respect!" Kouga was shocked at her outburst.

"So you have promised yourself to him?" Kouga asked.

"Kind of," Kagome said. `What am I saying?' Kagome thought. Kouga smiled and grabbed her hands again.

"Well, then, Kagome," Kouga said with a smile. "I will prove to you that I am stronger and could take better care of you than he ever could. I will help you forget about him." Kagome sweat dropped. It was hopeless. Kouga was the persistent person she had ever met.

"Forget about who?" someone said from within the darkness. Kagome and Kouga looked up.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shouted. He had a stern, angry look on his face as he emerged from the trees. Kagome then realized the position she was in with Kouga. Kouga still held on to her hands and had pulled her closer when he saw Inuyasha.

"Want do you want, dog shit?!" Kouga demanded.

"Kagome, are you okay?" Inuyasha asked quickly. Kagome nodded. Inuyasha then turned his attention back to Kouga. "Let her go, Kouga! I'm here for Kagome!"

Kouga laughed. "And just what makes you think I will turn her over? Kagome is my woman, now! I already told you that!" Kagome sweat dropped as Inuyasha riled with anger.

"She is not your woman!" Inuyasha said angrily, gripping the hilt of his sword tightly. He drew his sword. "Let her go, damnit!" Inuyasha's anger grew by the second. Suddenly, Sango, Miroku, Myouga, Shippo, and Kirara emerged from the darkness.

"Kagomeeeee!" Shippo screamed when he saw Kagome.

"Shippo!" Kagome said. "Guys! You're all here!"

"Kagome, you're okay!" Sango said with tears of relief welling up in her eyes. Kagome was so happy to see everyone. She turned her attention back to Inuyasha. Inuyasha and Kouga growled at each other, neither of them backing down.

"So what shall we do about this little dilemma, dog turd?" Kouga asked gripping on to Kagome tighter. Kagome flinched and squeaked when Kouga gripped her. Her look of fear was evident. Inuyasha couldn't stand to see her like this. He felt so helpless. If he attacked, Kouga would only run off with Kagome again. Inuyasha took a deep breath. He knew there was only one thing left to do. Inuyasha raised his sword and pointed it at Kouga.

"Kouga, I officially challenge you for Kagome," Inuyasha said. Myouga gasped. Kouga was shocked.

[A/N: For dramatic effect, if you have Inuyasha and Kagome's Theme, play it here.]

"No, master Inuyasha! You mustn't!!!" Myouga protested. Everyone except for Inuyasha, Myouga, and Kouga were confused.

"What's going on?" Sango said.

"Master Inuyasha! Please reconsider!" Myouga pleaded.

"It's too late," Inuyasha said. "It's the only way I can get Kouga to fight without running off with Kagome again." Kouga stood with Kagome.

"Very well," Kouga said. He turned and howled into the distance then turned back to Inuyasha. "A couple of my men will be here in a minute. They will hold on to Kagome during our battle."

"What's going on?!" Kagome shouted.

"When a demon officially challenges another demon, the challenged demon has no choice but to accept the challenge or give up what he was challenged for," Myouga explained. "In other words, Kouga has to accept Inuyasha's challenge or give you to him. They will now fight to the death for you."

"To the death???" Sango, Kagome, and Miroku said in unison. Myouga nodded.

"The winner will take you, Kagome, and the loser will be annihilated," Myouga finished. Everyone gasped. It was about that time that Ginta and Hakkaku showed up.

"No, Inuyasha! You can't do this!" she screamed as Kouga relayed the situation to Ginta and Hakkaku. Inuyasha stared at Kouga and said nothing to her. Ginta and Hakkaku each grabbed one of her arms and began pulling her away from the fight.

"INUYASHA! INUYASHA, NO!" Kagome screamed hysterically. She struggled in Ginta's and Hakkaku's grasp. Warm tears began falling down her face. "I'M NOT WORTH IT, INUYASHA! JUST FORGET ABOUT ME AND GO TO THE WESTERN LANDS! YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS! IT'S NOT WORTH RISKING YOUR LIFE! Each tear that fell off of Kagome's face stung Inuyasha like a knife. His heart felt like it was being torn into. It was getting harder and harder for him not to run to her, wrap her in his arms, and walk off with her. The rules of a demon challenge are binding, and he now had to adhere to them. He didn't want to think that he might never see Kagome again. He didn't want to think he might never hear her laughter, her voice.

"Yes it is, Kagome," Inuyasha said solemnly. Kagome straightened up for a second to hear what he had to say. He looked at her. "I promised I would protect you and I intend to keep that promise…even if it means dying."

Kagome's head hung limp as she continued to cry uncontrollably. Kagome had faith in Inuyasha's ability, but even she didn't know if Inuyasha could take on Kouga. Granted Inuyasha was just as strong as Kouga, but Kouga was twice as fast. Kagome balled her fists. Every muscle in her body tensed.

She then lifted her head and yelled, "I NEED YOU, INUYASHA!!!" Inuyasha looked at her and smiled slightly. Kagome's face was red and stained with tears. The others were astonished at what was taking place before them.

"I need you, too, Kagome," Inuyasha said with a stern face staring straight at Kouga. "That's why I am doing this. Myouga?" Myouga walked over to Inuyasha.

"Yes?" he said. Inuyasha bent down and whispered something into his ear. Myouga nodded and backed away from the fight. Inuyasha turned to face Kouga.

"You ready?" Inuyasha asked pointing his sword at Kouga. Kouga cracked his knuckles.

"Let's go!" Kouga said. They both growled then took off running at one another to begin their duel to the death.

A/N: Dun, dun, dun!!! LOL!!! I really enjoy writing this story. I needed a break from studying for finals so I decided to write the next chapter! Aren't you happy? Don't you love me for it? LOL!!! Okay, well, for those of you who like battle scenes, the next chapter will be an in depth battle scene between Inuyasha and Kouga. Remember! Read and Review! The sooner you review and the more reviews I get, the faster you will get more chapters!!! YAY!!! Okay! Well, hurry up and review! Even I am wanting to know what's going to happen next!!! LOL!!!

Required reviews: 25

Next Chapter: Inuyasha vs. Kouga: the Duel to the Death