InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 54: Confused Emotions ( Chapter 55 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Wow! Another long chapter! Okay I hope you enjoy! And sorry, but Inuyasha's decision will be in the next chapter. I got a little carried away with this one. I love to write! But hey, am I good or what? Two chapters in the same day! Woohoo!

 

Chapter 54

 

"Do you think Inuyasha will choose Kagome over Sakura?" Sango asked Miroku shortly after Kagome had disappeared into the garden.

 

"I really don't know," Miroku said. "I know Inuyasha cares deeply for Kagome, but only Inuyasha knows if that is true love or not. He wouldn't even go for a run earlier because he was afraid Sesshoumaru or Kouga could suddenly show up and Kagome could be in danger."

 

"Really?" Sango said. "Well, whether or not Inuyasha chooses Kagome or not is up to him, but I really pray with all of my might that he sees through Sakura."

 

"You really don't like that girl, do you?" Miroku said.

 

"No," Sango said. "She just seems so suspicious. She is really rude to Kagome when she thinks no one is looking, but as soon as someone else enters the room, she acts all friendly and cordial. I just don't know what to make of her. I definitely don't trust someone like that."

 

"Well, I will definitely keep my eyes open," Miroku said.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Later that day, Inuyasha had come to a decision. He had decided that he should at least give Sakura a chance. He hadn't spent time with her or spoken to her since he had talked to her about the document. He walked down the hall that led to the room she was staying in. He gently tapped on the door. Rei soon came to the door.

 

"Yes, my Lord," Rei said.

 

"I would like to see Priestess Sakura," Inuyasha said. "Is she available right now?"

 

"Yes," Sakura said, rushing to the door and knocking Rei out of the way. "What do you need to see me about my Lord?"

 

"Would…would you like to go for a walk with me?" Inuyasha asked. "I really haven't had time to catch up with you since all of this has happened."

 

"Sure," Sakura said with a grin. "Let me get my things and I will meet you next to the pond in the garden in about thirty minutes."

 

Inuyasha nodded and then made his way down the hall. Rei closed the door behind him and turned around to see Sakura with an evil grin on her face. She began searching through her clothes, looking for an appropriate outfit, before settling on a white kimono with a red sash and gold and red designs.

 

"Is there anything I can help you with my lady?" Rei asked.

 

"Here," Sakura said, throwing the kimono to Rei. "Press this and make sure that it is spotless and wrinkle free. I will not have my date spoiled on the negligence of a servant girl."

 

"Yes, my lady," Rei said, turning on her heel to go press the kimono.

 

`Now's my chance,' Sakura thought. `Just you wait Inuyasha. You will be mine, and that pathetic little priestess will not be a bother to us anymore.'

 

Sakura was soon dressed and down by the pond where Inuyasha sat patiently on the same bench he had earlier.

 

"Ahem," she coughed to get his attention. Inuyasha looked up to see Sakura dressed her kimono, her makeup applied flawlessly and her hair pulled back perfectly.

 

"Ready?" he asked with a smile. She nodded and took his arm without him offering it. Inuyasha was a little startled by her behavior, but decided to ignore it for the time being.

 

`Why do I feel so uncomfortable?' he thought.

 

Meanwhile, Sango, Miroku, Satoru, Myouga, Kagome, Kirara, and Shippo, as well as a few other servants sat in the dining area talking. Their actions were interrupted when Rei burst into the room, panting heavily as if she had been running. Everyone looked up. Rei bowed, but then immediately ran over to Satoru and whispered frantically in his ear.

 

"Say WHAT???" Satoru said, jumping to his feet.

 

"What is it?" Kagome asked.

 

"I assigned Rei here to be Priestess Sakura's personal attendant so that she could `keep an eye on her'," Satoru said. "It seems Lord Inuyasha stopped by her room earlier this evening and asked her to go for a walk with him. They are in the garden area right now."

 

"WHAT???" Kagome said, jumping to her feet. "He said he had to take care of something, but I didn't know it was going to be her! Ugh! I feel like such a fool!"

 

"Please calm down, Lady Kagome. There could be nothing to it," Satoru assured her.

 

"Well, there's only one way to find out!" Sango said coming to her feet and turning to Miroku. "And you're coming with us this time houshi!"

 

The group traveled to the second floor and stared out the window that overlooked the pond and garden area. There, next to the pond, stood Inuyasha and Sakura talking.

 

"Geeze, Sakura!" Sango exclaimed. "You think you could have gotten a little more dressed up!"

 

"I know," Shippo chimed in. "I can see her makeup from here."

 

Kagome growled and balled her hands into fists. Miroku noticed and signaled for Shippo and Sango to refrain from their comments.

 

"Is there anything else to the story?" Satoru asked Rei.

 

"Well, there is one other thing," Rei said. "She seemed really intent on looking nice. She made me iron her kimono three times before she found it suitable. Also, I overheard her talking to someone else outside her window earlier today. She said something about how she was going to have to act fast, and after Lord Inuyasha came by today, she was extremely excited. She said, `perfect' after he left and muttered something about how she needed to look like a queen as she searched through her clothing. Her behavior just seemed a little odd to me."

 

"Well, one thing's for sure," Miroku said as he looked at the two in the garden. "She is trying hard enough."

 

"If I may, sir, I would like to return to Lady Sakura's room," Rei said to Satoru with a bow. "I do not want to take the chance of her seeing me up here and blow my cover."

 

"Good idea, Rei," Satoru said and motioned for her to leave. Rei bowed and scurried down the hall towards Sakura's room.

 

"Oooooh, I'm gonna kill him," Kagome said angrily.

 

"Now let's not be hasty," Sango said. "You may have to wait until after I kill him."

 

Inuyasha and Sakura chatted about various things such as the weather, their travels here, and how their lives had been since they parted, until finally Sakura had the guts to step up the conversation.

 

"Do you…do you ever think about those old times, Inuyasha?" Sakura asked. Inuyasha blushed slightly.

 

"What do you mean?" he asked.

 

"You know what I mean," she said. "About us. Do you ever think of the times we spent together?"

 

"Of course I do, Sakura, but you have to understand that up until this point in time I had thought you betrayed me years ago," Inuyasha said.

 

"But now that you know that's not true, how do you feel?" she asked.

 

"I'm not sure," he said looking away. "A lot of things have changed since then."

 

"You wouldn't be referring to a certain priestess when you say that, would you?" Sakura asked sadly.

 

Inuyasha looked up and stared at her. She did look rather beautiful under the lights of the sunset. Remembering her question, he looked away.

 

"That's what I thought," Sakura said. "Please stop me if I am out of line in any way, but may I offer my opinion?" Inuyasha said nothing so she chose to continue. "Kagome is young. She has her whole life ahead of her. You can't be selfish Inuyasha. Forget for the time being that I am your betrothed and hear me out. As your friend, I am just asking you to consider what is in the best interest of Kagome. After all is said and done, you can't ask her to stay here with you, even as just your friend. It wouldn't be fair to her. Her family lives in the east. She would have to drop everything to be here with you. She would have to leave everything she knows and loves just to be here…her family, her friends, her school. Can you really ask her to do that?"

 

"No…I can't," Inuyasha said. "But she is my best friend and I swore I'd never let anything happen to her."

 

"Well, that's kind of selfish, don't you think?" she said. "You can't keep her under your grasp forever. I know she is your friend, but you have to consider that even Sango and Miroku will have to return to their duties in the east in due time. She would have to leave them too. Sometimes, if you really care about someone, it may be in their best interest if you let them go so they can be happy. Your father was very close to my father…which is why he chose to betroth you to me. I am not the type to randomly marry someone, but when your great father, God rest his soul, orders me to, I trust his decision. I found out about the decree shortly after you left. My parents have been training me to be queen ever since you left. I am ready to carry out your father's wishes, but the rest is entirely up to you."

 

Inuyasha sighed. He didn't know what to think. Sakura had a point, but he didn't know where that left the others…especially Kagome. He needed to talk to Kagome too before the night was over. There were a few things Sakura said that he needed to confirm. She had a compelling argument. There was no doubt about that. Inuyasha took a deep breath.

 

"I'm glad I had this discussion with you," Inuyasha said. "Now, if you will excuse me, there is something else I need to attend to."

 

"Sure," Sakura said, but as he walked by her, she reached out and grabbed his hand. He stopped and turned to look at her. Just as he did, she did something he hadn't expected. She reached up and kissed him on the lips so quickly that he didn't have time to react. Inuyasha's eyes were wide in shock at what was happening.

 

Meanwhile, everyone on the second floor had just witnessed everything. Kagome took a few steps backwards and then ran away.

 

"Kagome!" Sango shouted, as she ran behind her friend. "Kagome, don't do anything rash! She kissed him! Remember that!"

 

Miroku was starting to believe what Sango and Kagome were saying about that girl. He watched as Inuyasha pushed her away, then took off running towards the castle. `He didn't act like he enjoyed that,' Miroku thought as he watched how Inuyasha had kept his eyes open the entire time and turned his head after the kiss. `It's all negative body language.'

 

"Myouga," Miroku said. "I am going to investigate something. I need your help."

 

Kagome ran back down the hall towards the Royal Chambers much like she had earlier that day. This time, Sango, Kirara, and Shippo were hot on her trail. They ran through the door and shut the door behind them. Tears had welled up in Kagome's eyes, but hadn't fallen yet. She appeared to be more in shock than anything else.

 

"Kagome?" Sango said cautiously.

 

"I never thought I would have to witness anything like that, Sango!" Kagome exclaimed. "I never thought I would have to see it! I always knew in the back of mind there was a chance of it happening, but I never thought I would have to see it! What a bitch! How could she…how could HE???!!!"

 

"Now, Kagome, just calm down," Sango said. "She kissed him! Inuyasha didn't even act like he was enjoying it. Think back to the way he kissed you."

 

Kagome thought back and realized that Inuyasha had given her a much more meaningful kiss and that he had been the one to initiate it. Kagome seemed to cheer up a little bit.

 

"I guess you're right about that, but still," Kagome said. "It doesn't erase the terrible pain in my chest."

 

"Kagome," Sango said with a knowing smile.

 

"Okay, Sango," Kagome said. "I admit it! I love him! I love Inuyasha! I love him with my whole heart, but now he's…he's…"

 

Kagome collapsed on the floor and began crying hysterically. Sango reached out for her friend and Kirara meowed at her feet, rubbing against her soothingly.

 

"Stupid, Inuyasha!" Shippo muttered. "Making her cry like that!"

 

Sango handed Kagome a tissue. She began to say something to her when she heard a knock at the door. Kirara lightly growled and Sango immediately knew who it was. She walked over to the door and cracked it open.

 

"Hey, Sango," Inuyasha said. "Is Kagome here?"

 

The minute Kagome heard Inuyasha's voice she ran into the bathroom and slammed the door shut. Inuyasha looked over Sango's shoulder. Sango pushed Inuyasha back outside the door. Suddenly, Inuyasha heard the sound of light sobbing coming from the bathroom.

 

"Kagome!" Inuyasha said. "What happened to her? Is she okay? What's going on? Did someone hurt her?"

 

Sango looked behind her and then pushed Inuyasha further out the door. She walked outside the bedroom door and shut the door behind her.

 

"Yeah, someone did," Sango said.

 

"Who?" Inuyasha demanded. "Tell me now! I will rip them limb from limb!"

 

"Okay," Sango said with a smirk. "Find the nearest mirror and start shredding."

 

"Huh?" he said.

 

"You, you idiot! You're the one who hurt her!" Sango said. Inuyasha gave her a confused look. "Kagome saw the whole thing with you and Sakura…even down to the kiss."

 

Inuyasha's face turned ghostly pale. He gulped hard and he knew he was definitely in a predicament now.

 

"But…but it's not what you think…I didn't…" Inuyasha stuttered.

 

"I saw the whole thing too Inuyasha," Sango said. "Look, I know that you have a lot on you right now, but maybe you should consider the fact that you're not the only one suffering."

 

And with that, Sango turned around and walked back into the bedroom. Before she could completely shut the door, Inuyasha put a hand on the door.

 

"Can't I at least see her and get a chance to explain myself?" Inuyasha said.

 

"I really don't think she wants to see you right now," Sango said. "Try back later when she is feeling better." Sango stopped when she heard Kagome say something from the bathroom. "Oh she would like to tell you one thing though." Inuyasha strained his ears to hear what she had to say.

 

"SIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" she screamed to the top of her lungs. "Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit! Siiiiiiiiit!"

 

*WHAM *

*WHAM *

*WHAM *

*WHAM *

*WHAM *

*WHAM *

 

Sango, Shippo, and Kirara leaned over Inuyasha's face planted figure outside the door. The boards in the floor had broken and caused a huge indentation and lumps in the carpet where the boards were sticking up. Steam rose from Inuyasha limp body.

 

"Like I said," Sango said with her hands on her hips. "You might want to try back when she's feeling a little better."

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Inuyasha walked down the hall stretching his neck and arms as if trying to get the knots out of his back caused by Kagome's incantations. He growled angrily. She didn't have to do that. It wasn't his fault Sakura kissed him. It wasn't like he had really kissed back anyway. Inuyasha's expression softened. `Still though,' he thought. `Kagome has to feel like shit right now. Sango's right. I've been being selfish. Kagome is suffering too. Should I listen to Sakura and just let Kagome go back east?' Inuyasha rounded the corner and walked into the dining hall. Satoru was busily cleaning in the kitchen.

 

"Lord Inuyasha," Satoru said cheerily as Inuyasha walked in.

 

"Hey," Inuyasha muttered and sat down at the dining table, folding his arms on the table and resting his chin on his arms. Satoru smiled.

 

"In the doghouse, Master Inuyasha?" Satoru asked with a smile. "No pun intended."

 

Inuyasha growled and rolled his eyes.

 

"No," Inuyasha said. "I'm in the shithouse."

 

Inuyasha buried his face in his arms as his ears drooped in frustration. Satoru sighed and dried off the last of his dishes. He then walked outside the kitchen and sat across from Inuyasha.

 

"Care to talk about it?" Satoru asked. Inuyasha looked at him suspiciously.

 

"I know you Satoru," Inuyasha said. "It's not like you don't already know what's going on. The servants know everything, remember?" Satoru smiled.

 

"I see you remember a lot more than I thought," Satoru said with a laugh.

 

"Yeah," Inuyasha said. "Well, this time it's not funny. I have no idea what to do. I have five different people telling me five different things to do."

 

"Five?" Satoru queried.

 

"Yeah, Miroku, Kagome, Sango, Myouga, and Sakura," Inuyasha said.

 

"Really?" Satoru asked. "So you have talked to Sakura about this as well? If you don't mind me asking, what did she say?"

 

"She basically told me that it would be selfish of me to ask Kagome or any of the others to stay should I choose to be the Lord of the Western Lands," Inuyasha said. "Sango and Miroku have their duties to attend to in the east and I can't really ask Kagome to stay here and allow her to suffer even more."

 

"How would Kagome suffer here?" Satoru asked.

 

"Well…I would be taking her away from her family and friends…and she goes to school over there…and it's all she knows," Inuyasha said.

 

"There are ways around that," Satoru said. "But you'll figure that out when it's necessary."

 

"Don't play games with me Satoru!" Inuyasha yelled slamming his fist on the table. "If you know something, you better speak up!" Satoru frowned.

 

"You want to know what I know?" Satoru said standing up, placing his hands on the table, and glaring at Inuyasha.

 

"Yeah," Inuyasha said standing up, placing his hands on the table, and glaring back.

 

"I know that you are about to let the greatest thing that's ever happened to you slip through your fingers all because you are too blind to see what's right in front of you! You need to wise up and start acting like the leader I know you are!" Satoru said. "You would be wise not to take advice from Sakura…especially where Kagome is concerned. Maybe you should ask Kagome what Kagome wants…not Sakura, and while you're at it, why don't you ask Kagome where she got those scratches on her hands from today."

 

Inuyasha's face softened. He had noticed the scratches earlier that day when he had handed her the rose, but he just assumed they were the result of her messing with thorny bushes all day.

 

"Where did she get those scratches from?" Inuyasha asked. Satoru sighed.

 

"I've already said too much," Satoru said. "If you want to know the rest, talk to Kagome. I've got work to do."

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Kagome sighed as she walked down the corridor. She had decided to go practice her archery as soon as one of the servants had informed her that the grounds were lighted at night. Besides, Inuyasha wouldn't let anything happen to her, right? Kagome sighed again. `Maybe I was a little too harsh on him,' Kagome thought as she neared the practicing grounds. `She did kiss him after all.' Coincidentally, the archery targets had already been set up. `Strange,' Kagome thought as she made sure her quiver had plenty of arrows. Kagome flipped her hair over her shoulder. `Maybe I should have left it in braids,' she thought. She had taken her hair down earlier because she thought it might help ease the headache that had been steadily increasing since the day had started. She readied herself to shoot an arrow and released it. It hit the target, but it only hit the outer ring. She sighed. `I'll never be able to do this if I don't clear my head,' Kagome thought.

 

"It's not your head that's the problem," someone said from beside her. Kagome looked to her right to see Inuyasha leaning against the post. She hadn't realized she had said that last statement out loud.

 

"What are you doing here?" Kagome asked.

 

"Last time I checked, these were my grounds until I said otherwise," Inuyasha smirked. Kagome scowled. "Besides, I promised you I would help you with your archery and I am here to keep that promise." Kagome blinked a couple of times as she watched him walk over. "As I said a second ago. It's not your head that's the problem…it's your form."

 

"My form?" she questioned.

 

"Ready yourself like you are going to shoot," he said

 

Kagome pulled another arrow from her quiver and readied her bow. Inuyasha stood directly behind her as if he were shooting the arrow, placing his hips and chest against her back. Kagome gulped and blushed.

 

"Okay now drop your shoulder," he said slightly pressing on her shoulder. "Now, pull your arm back further, lift your elbow higher…no, not that high…that's it. Allow the string to slightly touch your cheek, now…release!"

 

The arrow whizzed towards the target and nailed the ring just outside the bull's eye. Kagome squealed in delight and jumped up and down. Inuyasha laughed slightly as Kagome twirled around allowing her hair to flip around her shoulder and grace her features. She smiled brightly, and Inuyasha became entranced. Kagome was so beautiful. She didn't have on half the amount of make-up Sakura had had on earlier, and she didn't need it. She was beautiful without it. He smiled down at her. Kagome noticed the look on his face and gulped. She looked away.

 

"Thanks, Inuyasha," she said immediately trying to change the subject and snap him back to reality. He shook his head.

 

"It's not over yet," he said. "Do the same thing again, but this time concentrate on your target. This time I won't help you."

 

Kagome readied herself as Inuyasha had showed her before. Inuyasha took a few steps back. Kagome concentrated on the red bull's eye in the center. `Hit the mark!' she thought, and released the arrow. Kagome then quickly turned around and closed her eyes. She looked over to Inuyasha who was staring at the target. He didn't have a smile on his face. He looked at her and shook his head. Kagome's spirits fell.

 

"Do it again," he said, walking over to her and turning her around to face the target. "So you can do it repeatedly."

 

Kagome opened her eyes to see a perfect bull's eye. She jumped into the air and squealed with delight. Inuyasha laughed at her as she ran around like a five-year-old who had just won her first contest.

 

"Yay!" Kagome said running towards Inuyasha and jumping into his arms. "Thank you, Inuyasha." Inuyasha caught her with ease, but stumbled backwards a bit out of shock. She giggled in excitement. He laughed.

 

"You're so cute," Inuyasha said, but caught his breath as soon as he had realized what he said. Kagome and Inuyasha blushed heavily as he still held her in his arms. He immediately dropped her to the ground.

 

"That is…er…um…when you wanna be," Inuyasha said, still a little flustered. Kagome blushed and held onto her left arm sheepishly.

 

"Inuyasha, I…"

 

"Kagome, I…"

 

"Oh, sorry," they both said at the same time. Kagome smiled.

 

"You go first," she said.

 

"Kagome, I'm sorry about today," he said. "I know what you saw, and it really wasn't what it looked like."

 

"It's okay, Inuyasha," Kagome said looking away. "I understand now. Sakura is your fiancé and you have a right to do that with her."

 

For some reason, that statement made Inuyasha jump back a little. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. Sakura? His fiancé? Sure she was his betrothed, but that didn't mean anything, did it? He didn't like the feeling he got when Kagome said that.

 

"Kagome, you've got it all wrong," he said.

 

"No, I think I understand perfectly," she said. "I'll always be here for you Inuyasha. I'm your best friend. There is one thing Sakura and I have in common…our desire to be with you." Inuyasha stared into Kagome's sincere eyes.

 

"You…you mean…you would still be with me…even if I chose Sakura?" Inuyasha asked.

 

"MmmHmm," Kagome said with a nod as wind blew through her hair. "I'll always be here for you, Inuyasha, or should I now say…" Kagome took a bow. "Lord Inuyasha."

 

"Kagome," Inuyasha said grabbing her hand and bringing her body flush against his. "Please don't ever do that again. You should never bow to me, even if I do become Lord of the Western Lands."

 

Kagome blushed and stared into his eyes. He stared back at her. The moonlight danced upon her features. Her head was tilted back in the perfect position. His lips were mere inches from hers. Inuyasha closed his eyes and leaned down to close the gap between their lips. Kagome's heart started racing faster and faster as his lips neared hers.

 

"Inuyasha," she said suddenly, causing him to snap out of his trance. "It's getting late. I should probably be getting back."

 

Inuyasha released her and took a step back. Kagome didn't make eye contact with him. She looked to left towards the ground and avoided eye contact. He sighed and nodded his head. He picked up her bow and arrows and began walking next to her.

 

"I'll walk you back," Inuyasha said.

 

A/N: After looking back and reading over this chapter, it really feels like there is not a lot of important stuff in there, but trust me when I say there is. You will understand in the next chapter…which by the way I am almost done writing!