InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 56: An Unexpected Visitor...An Unexpected Suggestion ( Chapter 57 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Sorry for the excruciatingly long wait! I was extremely busy. However, to make up for it I have given you a ridiculously long chapter with the promise of the following chapter by tomorrow! Happy Reading! And thanks for all of the great reviews!
 
*KNOCK*
*KNOCK*
*KNOCK*
 
Inuyasha rolled over in his bed and looked at the clock…12:30 p.m. He yawned and threw the pillow over his head to cover his ears so he didn't have to listen to the knocking. He moaned as the knocking continued. Suddenly, the knocking stopped, but Inuyasha felt as if someone was in the room with him. He removed the pillow from his face to find…
 
“Wake up, Inuyasha,” Sakura moaned. “You promised me you would help me improve my skills at the training grounds today.”
 
“I did? And how did you get in here?” he asked rather rudely.
 
“Oh, well, I had a key,” she said with a smile. “You poor thing, you've had so much on your mind that you completely forgot what you said to me. But a promise is a promise and I will hold you to it.”
 
Inuyasha looked at her skeptically, but shrugged it off. He assumed Sakura had no reason to lie to him about that. He groaned and rolled out of bed. He brushed his hair and teeth, washed his face, and was out the door with Sakura in a matter of minutes. `This is too easy,' Sakura thought. `This castle is enormous. All I have to do is make sure no one finds us for a while.'
 
“There's actually somewhere I want to take you first,” she said tugging on his arm.
 
“Huh? Where?” he asked.
 
“No place in particular,” she replied. “I would really like to discuss a few things with you, and I feel like we're always being watched without any privacy here. There are few things I have to say that I don't want heard by any of the servants.”
 
Inuyasha looked at her skeptically for a couple of seconds, but finally agreed to follow her, hoping that it might provide some more insight to his problem. She led Inuyasha down the stairs and out into the garden area. They headed towards the training grounds, but stopped just short of them and took a left down a corridor that led outside the building area, but still within the castle's walls. Very few people had any reason to come out there, so Sakura felt it was a perfect spot.
 
“You know, Inuyasha,” Sakura said. “I've been thinking.”
 
“About what?” he asked.
 
“Well,” she said rather nervously. “Us…to be honest with you. I know you are around your friends a lot and I would really like to spend a little more time with you. You know…so that you can make the right decision. I just want to make sure you have weighed all of your options before you jump to any conclusions.”
 
“Sakura,” he said. “That's why this is taking so long. I want to make the right decision…for my father's people if for nothing else. I can sincerely promise you that I am weighing all of my options. You have no idea how much I wish the answer would just appear before me right now.”
 
Sakura smiled and nodded.
 
“I understand,” she said, placing a hand on his chest. “Take your time. I'm here if you need to talk.”
 
“Thank you, Sakura,” he said, placing his hand over hers. “That means a lot to me.”
 
Sakura blushed slightly, but decided not to push things with him just yet so she released her hand.
 
“Shall we go now?” she said.
 
“Go?” he asked. “Go where?”
 
“To the training grounds of course,” Sakura said. “But let's use the back way. I have a few new skills I have learned that I would like to test out and I don't want to take a chance of damaging the building since it was just repaired. So, why don't we practice in the back…you know…near the river…away from the castle.”
 
“Why are you wanting to get away so badly?” he asked suspiciously. Suddenly a scent caught his nose. He began growling.
 
“Well, I…” she began, but stopped when she heard him growling. “What's wrong?”
 
“Hold that thought, Sakura,” he said as he stomped back towards the castle. Sakura followed behind him. She had no idea what was going on. Right about the time they were about to make it to the end of the corridor that led to the inside of the castle, Miroku walked by with his nose stuck in a rather old book, apparently deep in thought. He looked up and smiled when he noticed Inuyasha standing there.
 
“Oh, hi Inuyasha,” he said with a smile.
 
“Hi?” he questioned, apparently aggravated. “Where's Kagome and Sango?”
 
“They went into market with Satoru, Shippo, and Kirara this morning shortly after breakfast,” he said, suddenly catching on to where the hanyou was going with this. “Why do you ask? Is something wrong?”
 
“You mean to tell me that you let them go off alone?!” Inuyasha demanded.
 
“Well, I didn't think anything would happen to them,” he said, suddenly starting to realize what time it was and how they should be back by now. “Kagome has Sango, Satoru, Shippo, and Kirara with her! I didn't think anything would happen to her with all of them with her.”
 
“Do you realize who could be out there right now?!” he shouted angrily. “And Kagome has the jewel with her!”
 
A slight bit of panic began to emerge in Inuyasha and Miroku's voices. Miroku suddenly felt like such an idiot. Had he overestimated Sango's abilities to protect Kagome? He had forgotten what kind of opponents could possibly be waiting for the girls. Sango could be in danger as well. He slammed his book shut.
 
“Let's go,” he said to Inuyasha.
 
Inuyasha didn't think twice. He and Miroku started running towards the front gate without even thinking. Sakura followed shortly behind out of mere curiosity. Inuyasha and Miroku ran through the gardens and burst into the front building of the castle. The servants had heard the commotion and most of them were already in the foyer by the time they reached it. Miroku threw a servant the book he had and the servant in turn threw Miroku his staff.
 
“Make sure the doctor is in!” Miroku yelled.
 
“Arm yourselves!” Inuyasha ordered. “Secure the castle!”
 
The servants immediately began scurrying around the castle as an emergency alarm was sounded that echoed throughout the entire castle. Servants everywhere began preparing themselves and securing the castle. Inuyasha and Miroku ran out the front doors. Sakura stopped on the front porch and watched. Suddenly, Inuyasha's perceptive set of dog ears heard a scream. `No!' he thought.
 
“KAGOMEEEEE!” he yelled.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kagome stood there in shock. Sango already had a tight grip on her boomerang, and Kirara transformed into her larger form. Satoru looked confused. He had no idea what was going on, but from the way everyone was acting, this guy being here couldn't be a good thing.
 
“Kirara!” Sango yelled. “Take Kagome back to the castle!”
 
Kirara bounded towards Kagome, but Kagome shook her head no. She didn't want to be taken back to the castle. She wanted some answers.
 
“Kouga?” she said. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I have come to take you back with me…where you belong,” Kouga said.
 
“Like hell you are,” Sango said angrily. Kouga growled.
 
“And I suppose you are going to stop me? Kagome and I… with the jewel, we could rule the world,” he said.
 
“I don't care about ruling the world!” Kagome retorted. “And there's no way you are getting your hands on this jewel!”
 
“Kagome, don't make this difficult,” he said. “You know you would be better off with me than you would with that mutt! Besides…I hear he's betrothed.”
 
Kagome and Sango gasped. Kagome looked away and hung her head. Her eyes began to quiver as they began to fill with tears.
 
“Oh geez, you made her cry,” Hakkaku and Ginta said.
 
“Shut-up!!!” he ordered. “Kagome, I didn't mean to upset you, but facts are facts. You know that I would be a better mate for you anyway. I would take care of you, and I would never make you suffer. That's why I came. I heard of the rumors that Inuyasha was betrothed and thought of what that could do to you. It pissed me off to know that that lousy half-breed could do such a thing! So I am here to take you back and kill that damned mutt!!!”
 
“No,” Kagome said as she lifted her tear filled eyes towards Kouga's. “I don't want any fighting.”
 
“Okay,” Kouga said calmly. “Come back with me…choose me…and I will leave dog breath alone.”
 
Kagome pondered this for a moment. She knew that Kouga was the type to keep his word. That didn't bother her. Should she go back with him? No. She couldn't. There was no way. She had promised Inuyasha that she would stick by him.
 
“I'm sorry, Kouga,” she said. “But I can't. I have something I have to take care of first.”
 
Kouga reached out and grabbed her hand.
 
“Don't make me take you by force,” Kouga said. “It would be for your own good if I did. You don't need to be around this anymore. I know you are hurting.”
 
Kagome sighed. She knew he had a point. Suddenly, she felt something…or better yet, someone, drawing closer.
 
“Kagomeeee!” Inuyasha yelled as he jumped in the air, drew his fist back, and connected with Kouga's cheek, sending Kouga flying back towards the ground. “Don't touch her you asshole!”
 
Kouga was on his feet in a split second.
 
“I'm the asshole?” Kouga said angrily. “I am here to take Kagome away from your torture! You despicable insult to canines…how can you treat her like this?”
 
“What the hell are you talking about?” Inuyasha demanded as Miroku soon caught up with Inuyasha and the others.
 
“I am talking about you being betrothed to another woman,” Kouga said causing Inuyasha to blush and grow angry. “Kagome doesn't deserve this! I am here to take her away from all of this pain and suffering!”
 
“Mind your own damn business, wimpy wolf!” Inuyasha said, extremely aggravated.
 
“It's kind of hard when the news has spread all over the country!” Kouga said.
 
Kagome and the others gasped. Inuyasha was taken aback. Did everyone really know about the betrothal and the document? Inuyasha shook these thoughts from his head. He would deal with that later. Right now Kagome was in danger of being taken from him, and he would never allow that to happen.
 
“Get bent, wolf!!!” Inuyasha yelled as he leapt for Kouga.
 
“Inuyasha, sit boy!” Kagome yelled.
 
*WHAM*
 
Inuyasha lifted his face from the dirt and scowled at Kagome.
 
“What the hell was that for?” he demanded, jumping to his feet. “I've still got a bone to pick with you so don't go pissing me off anymore!”
 
“Huh?” Kagome said shocked. “What did I do?”
 
“I specifically told you not to go off without Sango and Miroku!” Inuyasha shouted walking towards her. “And what do you do? You go off with just Sango! Do you realize what could have happened? You have the jewel, and there is no telling who may be out there!”
 
“Oh sure,” Kagome yelled. “Why don't you just lock me away in a tower and be done with it?! Besides, why do you care what happens to me? You've got a fiancé! Go confine her to a tower! Or maybe that would be too easy because that way, you couldn't enjoy me suffering every time I saw you with her!!!”
 
Inuyasha took a step back. For some reason, that had really hurt him. Inuyasha couldn't believe it. Did Kagome actually think he enjoyed watching her in pain? Kagome gulped. She knew she might have crossed the line with that last statement. Inuyasha looked very hurt. He looked away from her, but didn't say anything.
 
“Look,” she said. “Can't we just deal with the situation at hand?”
 
“Sure,” Inuyasha said, cracking his knuckles and looking at Kouga as if he were some pawn he could take all of his frustrations out on.
 
“I think Kouga should come back to the castle with us,” Kagome said. Inuyasha did an anime fall.
 
“WHAT???” he exclaimed. “Are you nuts?!”
 
“Wait a minute,” Miroku said, speaking up, realizing where she was going with this. “Hear her out.”
 
“We have no idea who is going to be out there,” Kagome said. “It could be a number of people. We could use Kouga's help in the battle.”
 
“How do we know it's not Kouga?” Inuyasha demanded.
 
Kagome looked at Kouga who had the most confused look she had ever seen on his face. She smiled.
 
“Trust me on this one,” she said. “I don't think it's Kouga. I would have sensed it.”
 
Inuyasha growled.
 
“No! Absolutely not!” Inuyasha said whirling towards Sango and Miroku. “Can you believe what she is asking?”
 
Sango and Miroku didn't say anything and just kind of twiddled with various objects. Inuyasha's jaw dropped. He couldn't believe it.
 
“Don't tell me…” Inuyasha said in disbelief.
 
“Well, Kagome does have a very good point,” Miroku said. “We could use as many people as possible on our side. We have no idea how our enemy may have grown in power since we last met.”
 
“Wait a minute,” Kouga said. “What exactly is going on here?”
 
“We think Sesshoumaru or one of his minions may still be alive out there somewhere,” Kagome said turning to Kouga. “We think he is plotting against us and waiting for the perfect moment to attack.” Kouga's eyes grew wide.
 
“Kagome is in the most danger,” Sango said. “She is the protector of the jewel of four souls…which may be the reason they have targeted us in the first place.”
 
“In that case,” Kouga said grabbing Kagome's hands. “I promise to come back to the castle with you. I will protect you Kagome. I will never allow anything to happen to you.”
 
Kouga pulled Kagome into a tight embrace. Kagome blushed furiously and Inuyasha flamed red. He ran over to them and pushed Kouga away from Kagome, throwing Kouga's hands back at him. They growled in each other's faces.
 
“That's my job, you stupid wolf!” Inuyasha retorted. “Just butt out! We don't need your help! Just go back to your flea bitten puppy den and take care of what remains of your pack!”
 
Kouga growled and slammed a fist into Inuyasha's right cheek. Inuyasha growled back and lunged at Kouga.
 
“Inuyasha, sit boy!” Kagome shouted.
 
*WHAM*
 
`Just when I think he is mature,' Kagome thought.
 
“What the hell was that for?!” Inuyasha barked. “He punched me! Why don't you ever yell at him?!”
 
“You had already punched him first,” Kagome said with frown, folding her arms. “Now you two little boys are even.”
 
Inuyasha and Kouga both growled at Kagome's insinuation that they were being immature.
 
“Seriously, though,” Kagome said with a sigh. “If you two put half the strength you put into fighting each other into battling our enemies, there's no way we can lose.”
 
Inuyasha and Kouga quit growling. They looked at each other for a second then turned their backs to each other and folded their arms.
 
“I don't need his help!” Inuyasha said.
 
“Who said I was helping you?” Kouga asked. “I am here to protect Kagome…seeing as how you are doing a pathetic job of it!”
 
“Why you!” Inuyasha said whirling around.
 
“ENOUGH!!!!!” Kagome screamed.
 
Kouga and Inuyasha both fell on their butts next to each other, cowering in fear of Kagome. She balled her fists angrily at her side. She suddenly dropped her head and sighed heavily.
 
“Just forget it,” Kagome said turning around. “At this rate, I'll never survive.”
 
She grabbed her bags and started walking back towards the castle. Sango, Satoru, Shippo, and Kirara followed. Inuyasha and Kouga just stood there, not saying a word, allowing what she had just said to sink in.
 
“You know,” Miroku said, walking over to them. “Kagome makes a very valid point. If you two don't learn to cooperate with one another…even just for the time being…Kagome will end up dead.”
 
And with that, he turned around to follow the others. Kouga and Inuyasha glanced at each other. They both scowled, but somewhere amid all of the snarling and threatening demeanors, a silent agreement was made between the two. Neither one of them would allow harm to come to Kagome. They would tolerate one another during a battle, but continue to have their squabbles when there was not one to be found. Inuyasha still didn't trust Kouga to not take Kagome back to his den, and Kouga didn't like the fact that there was a possibility that Inuyasha could be two-timing Kagome. It seemed as if the two of them would never get along, but they still knew that Kagome was a priority. Therefore, the agreement was made though no words were spoken. They huffed and followed the others back to the castle, Ginta and Hakkaku following not far behind.
 
Satoru opened the black gates as Kagome walked solemnly inside the castle walls. She looked up to find Sakura standing on the front steps, awaiting Inuyasha's return. Kagome rolled her eyes. `Just who I wanted to see,' Kagome thought, but for some reason Sakura had no snide remarks to make. She merely had scowl on her face, almost as if she was extremely disappointed in something. Kagome stomped by her as Sakura cast her an evil glare, eyeing the bags she carried. The others followed behind with Inuyasha, Kouga, Ginta, and Hakkuku tagging at the rear. Inuyasha walked with his arms crossed into his sleeves and his nose tooted up in the air just slightly ahead of Kouga. Kouga acted disgusted with the whole situation, but became wide-eyed when he viewed the magnificent castle in front of him. Upon seeing Inuyasha, Sakura ran down the steps and flung herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck.
 
“Oh, is everything okay?” she asked dramatically.
 
“Yeah,” Inuyasha replied, a little stunned by her actions. “With the exception that we have a few pets that will be staying with us.”
 
“What was that mutt?” Kouga said balling up his fist to hit Inuyasha.
 
“Kouga!” Kagome suddenly yelled from the steps.
 
Kouga stopped his aim for Inuyasha in mid swing and looked up at her. She had dropped her bags at the door and had been waiting for the guys to get there so they could help her. They were far too heavy for her to carry up the stairs.
 
“Yes, Kagome?” Kouga asked, a little afraid of what she was about to say. Then, Kagome gave an innocent smile.
 
“Since Inuyasha seems to be busy, do you think you could help me with my bags?” Kagome asked a little too politely. “I would never make it up the stairs by myself.”
 
Inuyasha looked like he could have been knocked over with a feather. He stood there frozen. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Kagome was asking that stupid wolf for help? Sakura smiled sinisterly to herself. Kouga smirked at Inuyasha then began walking towards Kagome.
 
“I would love to,” he said happily as he picked up all of her bags except a couple of the smaller ones that Kagome carried.
 
Inuyasha growled furiously as he watched Kagome and Kouga disappear. He then felt someone tugging on him and glanced down to find Sakura still glued to his hip. He really wasn't liking the vibe this girl was giving him, but he brushed it off as her just trying to follow the orders of the document and be a good wife.
 
“Don't worry about them, my lord,” she said. “On another note, why is Kouga and his friends staying here.”
 
Inuyasha released himself from her death grip and snarled, still thinking about how Kouga was alone with Kagome.
 
“Well, Kagome and the others thought it might be a good idea in case we get attacked or something…wait a minute…how do you know Kouga?” he asked.
 
Sakura gulped and thought quickly.
 
“Oh, well I had heard of him and assumed it was him from the description I had been given. Plus, I have seen him once before from a distance,” she said shakily. Inuyasha eyed her.
 
“Yeah, well, that stupid wolf better stay outta my way!” he retorted and marched inside the castle with Sakura following not far behind. Inuyasha turned and looked at her. “I'm sorry we didn't get to practice today, but the sudden change in guests has caused me to have to take care of a few things.”
 
“It's okay,” she said and leaned up and kissed him on his cheek. “I have a few things to take care of myself.”
 
Inuyasha watched Sakura scamper away. He had no idea what she could possibly have to take care of. He assumed it was just more chores with the servants and began walking to find Satoru and Myouga. He still had no idea what to do. He had to admit he used to care for Sakura quite a bit, but even after he found out about the truth of the past he still felt uneasy about something. Maybe it was the idea that she could be his wife. He was in no position to get married. He had hardly lived a life and now he was going to have to rule a kingdom and marry a woman he thought betrayed him years ago? The puzzle pieces just didn't seem to fit. How could his father demand he marry? And why wasn't he informed long ago of this betrothal? Why hadn't Myouga ever heard of it? Surely Myouga would have known before anyone else, so why didn't he know?
 
Meanwhile, Kouga and Kagome had walked up the stairs and into the Royal Chambers. He set Kagome's bags down and looked around the room.
 
“Wow,” Kouga said. “Not bad for a mutt.”
 
Kagome threw a quick glance his way and he coughed quickly reworded his statement.
 
“I…I mean nice room,” he said. Kagome smiled happily. “Seriously, Kagome, what do you see in that…mu-…I mean thing…demon…whatever?”
 
“He's just a friend, Kouga,” Kagome said. “I don't abandon my friends just because they become betrothed to someone. Besides, it's not like we were ever going out or anything.”
 
Kouga sighed. He hated seeing Kagome like this. He walked over to her and put his arm around her. Kagome blushed and looked up at him.
 
“I may not be around you guys all of the time, but I'm also not stupid. I just don't want to see you mistreated,” Kouga said. “Putting me aside, you deserve better than that.”
 
Kagome sighed. She knew Kouga had a point. But she loved Inuyasha. She couldn't just abandon him. She couldn't give up on him.
 
“Thanks, Kouga,” Kagome said, placing her hand on his hand that still rested on her shoulder. “That makes me feel better.”
 
“Kagome, I promise I would take care of you,” Kouga said. “Canines mate for life so you would never have to worry about me being unfaithful.”
 
“Canines?” Kagome asked. “That would mean Inuyasha mates for life too, right?”
 
“Well, I don't know,” he said. “Seeing as how he is half-human.”
 
Kagome hung her head. If Inuyasha chose Sakura and mated with her, his demon instincts would probably attach him to her for life. She suddenly felt very depressed. She heaved a heavy sigh and felt as if she was going to faint. Kouga braced her and held onto her.
 
“Easy,” he said. “You okay?”
 
“Yeah,” she said with a nod. “I just need to sit down.”
 
Kouga helped Kagome over to the bed and set her down gently, the shopping bags scattered at her feet. Kouga had his arm around her and gently stroked her arm. The motion comforted Kagome and she soon felt as if she may fall asleep. She had to admit that for the time being Kouga was making her feel better. She slowly started to allow her head to drop until it was resting softly on his shoulder. Kouga could die happy at that very moment. Kagome had willingly come into his arms. Kagome's mind started to wander. She wondered if she should give Kouga a chance. Inuyasha would probably choose Sakura after all, right? Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard someone clear their throat at the door.
 
“Ehem,” Inuyasha said. “Am I interrupting anything?”
 
Kagome's heart plummeted to the floor as Inuyasha glared angrily at Kouga. Kagome suddenly felt as if she had been cheating on Inuyasha but she didn't understand why. `Why should I feel that way?' she thought. `We're not going out.'
 
“You have about two seconds to take your hands off of Kagome,” Inuyasha said, his anger steadily rising.
 
Kouga released Kagome and stood.
 
“For your information mutt,” Kouga said. “It's none of your damn business what's going on here and it wasn't like she was doing anything against her will.'
 
`Oh crapp! Kouga why did you have to say that?' Kagome thought in agony.
 
“Whatever! As if Kagome would ever care about someone like you?” Inuyasha retorted.
 
“And she would care about a half-breed like you? If I was Kagome, I would have told you to kiss my ass a long time ago!” he yelled.
 
“Bring it on, asshole!” Inuyasha yelled.
 
“Name the time and place and I'll be there!” Kouga yelled back.
 
They stopped shouting when they heard Kagome sigh and walk out onto the balcony. They blinked a couple of times.
 
“You'll be lucky if Kagome ever gives either one of you a chance at this rate,” Sango said, suddenly appearing out of no where and pushing her way in between them to go talk to Kagome.
 
She stopped, however, when Kagome walked back inside the bedroom. She had decided that she wanted some privacy and was going to go for a walk, but stopped when she saw Sango.
 
“I was just coming up to check on you,” Sango said. Kouga and Inuyasha paid close attention.
 
“I'm fine,” she said. “Just a little exhausted. I think I just need to be alone. I don't want there to be any more arguments on my behalf.”
 
Kouga and Inuyasha were taken aback. They looked at each other then at Kagome. They both knew that statement had been directed at them.
 
“It just seems that everyone wants to protect me,” she said almost thinking out loud. “I don't know what's so special about me that needs protecting other than I am the protector of the sacred jewel, but I really wish people would stop fighting. I want to be able to know that when the time comes, we have a team that can take on whatever force is out there. I don't want to die, but I will if I have to…for the people…and for my friends.”
 
She then walked into the bathroom and shut the door. Sango turned and looked at Kouga and Inuyasha the way a mother would look at her two sons when they had done something wrong.
 
“That's a true leader right there,” Sango said. “While you two are having your ridiculous squabbles, Kagome is concerned about protecting your sorry butts, and has the idea that she is to blame for all of the arguing. I vote she becomes queen of the west and you two get thrown in the back yard and fight like dogs.”
 
Inuyasha would have normally attacked someone who had said that to him, but Sango was fuming and was making valid points. Even he didn't want to smart off to her as she passed him to walk out the door. Kagome soon emerged from the bathroom. Inuyasha looked at Kouga.
 
“I was actually coming up here to tell you that I had the servants prepare a room for you down the hall. You can sleep there if you like. Hakkaku and Ginta have the rooms next to yours,” he said flatly. Neither of them made eye contact, but Kouga nodded.
 
“Thanks,” he said and bowed towards Kagome. “I'll see you later, Kagome.”
 
He then walked out of the room. Inuyasha sighed and nodded at Kagome before turning to also leave the room.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome said, stopping him in his tracks.
 
“Yeah,” he replied, turning around to look at her.
 
“I think that's the nicest you two have ever been to each other,” Kagome said with a smile.
 
“Yeah, well,” he said looking off in the distance. “You probably want to be left alone.”
 
“No,” she said. “Actually, I have a few things for you that I picked up at the market today.”
 
“For me?” he said as his ears perked up.
 
He walked inside the door and shut the door behind him. Kagome sat down on the bed and reached over into one of the bags. He walked over to her as she dug around in the bag. She soon retrieved a large box and handed it to him.
 
“Here,” she said. “The lady at the market sent this to you. She said it was stronger than the last one she made you.”
 
Inuyasha opened the box to find the new fire rat robe. It was just his size. Kagome soon lifted another box to him.
 
“Another one? Did she send this as well?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“No,” she replied. “I figured I would pick you up a few things while I was there…since you lent me the money and all.”
 
He opened the box to find some new shirts to wear under his fire rat robe. His other shirts were becoming worn and he needed some new ones.
 
“Thanks,” he said. “I needed some new ones. I'm glad you thought of it.”
 
“I also got you this sharpening stone so that you could get your sword ready for the battle,” Kagome said handing him the stone.
 
“Wow!” he said. “Where did you find this? This is supposed to be the best sharpening stone in the world.”
 
“I found it in the market,” she said. “I'm glad you like it. How did you know it's the best?”
 
“Oh…well…um…that is…I read it…in that book you gave me for Christmas,” he said blushing. Kagome smiled. He returned the smile and set the items on the bed. He sat next to her.
 
“Listen, Kagome…I…um…well…” he stuttered.
 
“Yes?” she said.
 
“I just wanted to thank you…you know…for…taking care of me,” he said.
 
“Oh…well…your welcome,” she said with a smile. “That's what friends are for.”
 
Inuyasha was quickly becoming uncomfortable so he coughed and decided to change the subject. He looked around at the remaining bags.
 
“What all did you get?” he asked.
 
“Oh…uh…hehe,” Kagome said.
 
“Kagomeeeee,” he said like a mother trying to get her child to tell the truth.
 
“Well, I…uh…kind of got carried away,” she said tapping her fingers together.
 
She began showing him various things she bought and indicated whether she had paid for it or got it for free from the people in the market. Inuyasha just watched in amazement. He felt kind of like a husband inspecting his wife's shopping spree. He makes the money and she spends it. He laughed to himself. As soon as he realized how he was thinking he shook the thoughts from his head and scolded himself. Kagome saved the best for last.
 
“And the woman who made your fire rat robe gave Sango and I two beautiful kimonos,” Kagome said, pulling the kimono from the bag. “I've never seen such fine work.”
 
She held the kimono up to her to show Inuyasha. He smiled. He had somewhat tuned her out up until this point, but something caught his eye. The crest in the middle of the sash on the kimono…he couldn't take his eyes off it.
 
“Where did you say you got this?” he said, his eyes wide with shock as he stood up and brought the sash to his face for closer inspection.
 
“The lady in the market,” she said eyeing Inuyasha as he inspected the sash. “The one that made your fire rat robe. She said she knew I was coming and made it especially for me.”
 
“She said that?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Yeah,” Kagome said tilting her head to the side in confusion. “Is something wrong?”
 
`She made this especially for her?' Inuyasha thought, then stood up straight and smiled.
 
“This is our family's crest,” Inuyasha said, pointing to the diamond shaped emblem on her sash. “This is the Takashi crest.”
 
Kagome gasped and looked down. On closer inspection, everything seemed to fit. The white dog, the white rose, it all made sense.
 
“I guess it is time to tell you what all of this means. My father once told me that the large dog over the intertwined symbol of the demons and symbol of the humans symbolized our protection of everyone and equality for all living in Japan. The crest is in the shape of the diamond and black diamonds adorn all four corners because it is the rarest, purist, and most beautiful of all gems. The white rose is a symbol of power and purity,” he said.
 
Kagome stared in disbelief.
 
“I…I'm sorry,” she said. “I had no idea…I would have never accepted it had I known…”
 
“It's fine,” he said. “It will look good on you.”
 
Kagome blushed.
 
“I just didn't know that I could wear it,” Kagome said. “I thought only family members were allowed to….”
 
“True,” he said. “But like I said. I don't mind at all. In fact, it will look good on you. If the occasion provides itself, I want you to wear it.”
 
Kagome blushed furiously as she stared at the garment in her hands. She had no idea that it had been adorned with the Takashi crest. Only family members were allowed to wear such things. She would have never brought it back with her had she known. Inuyasha sensed her turmoil.
 
“Listen,” he said, placing a hand on her shoulder. “It's okay. I don't care if you wear it. Besides, you're the closest thing to family I have. Better yet, I want you to wear it.”
 
Kagome felt like she was going to cry. She couldn't believe that Inuyasha actually thought that much of her. He stared at her, awaiting her reply. She smiled happily at him.
 
“I'd be honored,” she said as she hugged the garment against her chest. Inuyasha smiled.
 
“Good,” he said. “Why don't you rest a little before dinner? You look exhausted.”
 
“What are you going to do?” she asked, hanging the kimono neatly on a hanger.
 
“I think I will go find Miroku. He's been acting strange lately and it's about time I find out what that monk is up to,” Inuyasha said.
 
Kagome nodded and sat down on the bed. She had to admit she could use the rest. Inuyasha walked to the door, but turned around just before opening it.
 
“One more thing,” he said. “Don't ever leave like that again. I told you not to leave without Miroku and Sango.” Kagome frowned.
 
“Not this again,” she moaned. “Look, I had Sango with me so what was the big deal?”
 
“The big deal?!” he said, his temper flaring. “You're lucky that I made it there in time! Otherwise, Kouga probably would have swept you off to his den! What if that had been someone else like Sesshoumaru…who doesn't have a thing for you and doesn't care whether you live or die?!!!”
 
“But it wasn't!” Kagome argued. “It was Kouga and he would never do anything to hurt me so why are you so worried?!!”
 
“Because he tries to take you from me!!!” Inuyasha blurted out before he knew what he was saying. Kagome's face softened.
 
“Inuyasha,” she said in disbelief.
 
“Look,” Inuyasha said turning his back to her. “Kouga wants to take you for his bride. I can't ever let that happen. Because if it ever did…I would lose you. Don't you understand that?”
 
And with that he walked out the door and shut it behind him. Kagome didn't follow. She just stared at the door in disbelief. She finally gulped and managed to speak.
 
“I don't want to lose you either, Inuyasha,” Kagome said out loud. “But I face that fate should you choose to marry Sakura.”
 
Kagome sighed heavily and nestled herself into bed for a short nap. Unbeknownst to her, a perceptive set of dog ears had heard every word she had said.