InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Next Best Thing ❯ Kikyou's Final Curse ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Well, the next chapter! It's good to get out another chapter before my winter break starts...since I won't be able to use a computer for the majority of it...

The DISCLAIMER! (You know you were waiting for it. ;) Inuyasha belongs to Takahashi Rumiko and various other companies and people, and I am in no way making any kind of profit from this story. It's just written by a fan for fans...

The Next Best Thing
Chapter 10: Kikyou's Final Curse

By Laura Hoak-Kagey

"A plan? What kind of plan?" Kagome was now as eager as any child, waiting anxiously for what Sango would tell her.

"Yes, a plan. If Miroku's right, those bands around your upper arms are something from Sesshoumaru, right?" She paused long enough to see Kagome nod before continuing, "Well, since that's the case, we both think you'll be able to go back through the forcefield surrounding Sesshoumaru's castle. After you get in, you should have a chance to get Sakura back."

"Er, wait a sec Sango. How am I suppose to get Sakura? By myself?" She looked from Sango to Inuyasha and back again.

Inuyasha shook his head. "NO, of course not. Sango found somethin' that should be able ta help us, so I can go with ya."

"Inuyasha's right. When I was looking through some of the papers and things Kaede had left behind, I came across this." She handed the page to Kagome.

Kagome read the first paragraph of the page, "Bond of Connection: one becomes part of the other, and vice versa. The strongest bond potion to ever have been discovered. Once two people drink this spell, they will become an extended part of each other. Even demons won't be able to tell the two scents apart, which often confuses them."

After reading the paragraph, Kagome looked back at Sango. "How will this help me get Sakura back?"

"Well, if you agree, Miroku and I were gonna make this potion for you and Inuyasha. And then hopefully Inuyasha will be able to go through the forcefield with you. You see, this potion will make Inuyasha a part of you, and a part of you Inuyasha. So, the forcefield shouldn't be able to tell the difference when you enter. Of course..." Sango paused, and looked off to the side, away from Kagome's eyes.

"Of course what?"

"Well, because of the effects of the potion, it may also mean that Sesshoumaru will be able to pick up Inuyasha's scent in his domain, which could easily put you in danger..."

Kagome let out a sigh. "Is that all? Inuyasha nearly defeated Sesshoumaru before, so I don't see why he can't do it this time."

Inuyasha had been quiet, but now chose to speak up. "I hope so. He shouldn't have more power than me, and since I'll have to protect you and Sakura, I should be able to have more power from the Tessaiga. That always seems ta happen when I hafta protect ya..."

Kagome smiled slightly and started to hand back the paper to Sango when she noticed something. "Hey, it looks like another piece of paper is stuck to this one..."

Kagome carefully pulled and sure enough, there was another sheet of paper covered with Kaede's handwriting. Kagome read the first line before letting out a small gasp.

"What is it, Kagome?" Inuyasha asked.

"This paper, it says, 'Kikyou's final curse, what kept Inuyasha and Kagome apart.'"

*~*~*

"Aha! Look, look! I did it Uncle!" Sakura was jumping up and down, pointing at the small blue and purple flames dancing on the ground in front of her.

"Good job, Sakura. Shall we take a break for lunch?" It had been a chore for Sesshoumaru to play the role of a 'good uncle' all morning, and he just wanted to take a break from it all to be himself again.

A small look of disappointment crossed Sakura's face, but she knew she couldn't have things go the way she wanted all the time. Her mommy had at least taught her that much. "Okay. Are we gonna eat together?"

Sesshoumaru shook his head. "No, I am afraid Sesshoumaru has some things to take care of, but you will dine with Rin. I hope this is satisfactory?"

It took Sakura a second to understand the words Sesshoumaru had used, but she did hear 'with Rin' so she nodded her head.

Sesshoumaru headed for the door without any more hesitation. After both of them had made it back in, Sesshoumaru pulled Rin aside to whisper, "Eat lunch with her. Has there been any sign of them?"

Rin shook her head. "No, I haven't seen then at all, Lord Sesshoumaru. Maybe they won't come for a little while..."

"That does not matter. They will come, that I am sure of and when they do, we will be ready for them." He took a side glance at Sakura. "Their daughter has already filled her role in my plan. Now Sesshoumaru just needs to keep up his facade until they come...

"Sakura, you may go with Rin now. Return here later this evening for dinner."

Sakura went to Rin's side. "Yes, Uncle. And thanks for this morning! I had lots of fun!"

He merely nodded in acknowledgement to hearing her words. Rin took it to mean that it was time to leave. She gave Sesshoumaru a last smile before taking Sakura's hand and leading her out the door.

"So, Sakura, whatcha want for lunch?" Rin asked as the two girls walked down the hallway. Both of them adored Sesshoumaru, but one of them was adoring a fake.

*~*~*

"What did you say?" Inuyasha was the first one to ask the question that was on both his and Sango's minds.

"Kikyou's final curse, what kept Inuyasha and Kagome apart is what I said before, and I read it again now. That means Kaede knew?"

"And she never told me." Inuyasha felt a little put out that old Kaede had kept something like this a secret from him...

"Kagome, what does it say? Why were you and Inuyasha forced apart?" Sango was just as anxious as everyone else to know the answer. She had always wondered why her two friends had been forced apart, causing them to live in almost misery.

Kagome didn't reply right away. She was almost afraid to read what Kaede had written. She had a feeling reading it would bring back too many memories from the past six years that she had tried to put aside. Finally, Kagome decided they all had a right to know, even if it meant some of her memories coming back to haunt her.

"Well, it says:

'What sister Kikyou had told me before seems to be true. She had warned me that Kagome would never be able to take Inuyasha away from her if she tried to take him away from this world. Now, Inuyasha barely recognizes the light of day as he stares into the depths of the Bone-Eater's Well. It seems Kikyou's curse is what kept them apart. I don't recall, in my old age, how long it would last, but I don't think it's forever. I only hope it's sooner than later so they can be reunited again. I also could tell from Kagome's aura that she was with child, but I don't want to depress Inuyasha further. Somehow everything will be alright in the end.

If you two ever find this, forgive me for keeping it a secret. There might have been a reason for keeping you two apart, I don't know. But if you are together again, at least your love has lasted this long. And Inuyasha, may I add, you took your time letting Kagome know your feelings. You are one jealous dog-demon when it comes to her, but you never make her feel special. Oh well, you teenagers will grow up someday.'

And that's all it says."

A small silence filled the room. Inuyasha was a little peeved that Kaede had never told him the truth, but the old lady was no longer among the living, so he decided to let that small anger go to rest. But a part of him felt betrayed by Kikyou. She hadn't forgiven him, even in the end.

Kagome couldn't bring herself to say anything. All those years she had imagined the worst to find out it was merely Kikyou getting back at her for having Inuyasha's heart. Even in Kikyou's 2nd period of death, she was one of the only people Kagome didn't know if she could ever forgive, along with Sesshoumaru.

Taking the paper, Kagome crumpled it up and threw it on the ground. Anger filled Kagome. "Damn her! Kikyou! Why? Why did you have to be such a sore loser? You made me suffer. No, not only me, but Sakura as well. You should've know that your stupid curse wouldn't make a difference! Why..."

Kagome's feelings started to wind down, and a few tears now trickled from her eyes. She felt Inuyasha's arms go around her, and she gladly put her hands on them. "Inuyasha..."

"Shh, Kagome. Kikyou's gone. Don't let her upset you anymore. I'm here now, and things will be fine, okay?"

She nodded to Inuyasha's remarks. But the pain of all those years she had spent thinking Inuyasha was dead still lingered, and Kagome didn't know if they would ever go away.

Sango decided it was up to her to change the topic. "Well...I guess we should turn to things in the present, right? Sakura is your main concern these days, and I think we should get to work on that potion. The sooner it's done the sooner you two can go to rescue your daughter."

*~*~*

Sakura kept pushing the food around on her plate. It wasn't too bad to be eating lunch with Rin, but Sakura had started to think about her mommy again, which daunted her spirits.

"Sakura, what's wrong? You don't like your lunch?"

"No, I just wanna see my mommy again, that's all. Don't you miss yours, Rin?" Sakura looked up from her plate, and waited for an answer from her new friend.

Rin quickly laid her chopsticks down. "No. They abandoned me a long time ago, and that's that. Lord Sesshoumaru has taken care of me, and he is what matters most to me."

"Ah Rin, I'm sorry. About your parents...but you love Sesshoumaru very much, don't you?"

"Of course! Like I said, Lord Sesshoumaru means a lot to me, more than anyone."

"Well, if you couldn't see him, wouldn't you be sad? That's what I think." Sakura also laid her chopsticks down, and began to clean up the rice she had dropped on the table.

A realization came to Rin. She understood what Sakura had meant. If she couldn't see Lord Sesshoumaru ...then, possibly, what she was doing to Sakura, and later her parents, was it...wrong? Rin shook her head to get rid of these thoughts. Sesshoumaru needed her cooperation and that was all there was to it. She did feel a little sorry for Sakura, but at least the little girl wouldn't be hurt. Rin would have to make sure that Sesshoumaru promised that. She really did want Sakura to stay with her and Sesshoumaru forever.
===============
Well, that's the end of Chapter 10! That's about the fastest I've ever written a chapter after another! But the story needs to start heading towards the end...

Also, I'd like to thanks those who have been reading this, and leaving comments on ff.net. I really appreciate it and it always makes my day to know someone is reading it besides me!

Well, that's it for now.
December 2001
http://animeforever.com