InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Next Best Thing ❯ Chapter 5: The Glowing Tessaiga ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
NBT Chapter Five


Note about the spelling of Tessaiga/Tetsusaiga
Okay, to clear this up now so I don't have a million people telling me about how I spelled it wrong, here comes the explanation. There are two spellings of Tessaiga/Tetsusaiga floating around. Why? Well, in the anime, Inuyasha's sword is called the Tessaiga. Before the anime came out, people were uncertain in how to read the kanji. This is because in Japanese, usually when there is a "tsu" hiragana next to a "sa" hiragana, instead of "tetsusa" it becomes "tessa", just because it's easier to say. This is the case for lots of other hiragana characters that follow "tsu", not just "sa". In short, because people weren't sure how to read it, they guessed, and when it came time to make the anime, it turned out to be different. (Takahashi-sensei took a big part in making sure the anime was to her standards...) So, I'm not wrong, and neither is anyone who spells it "Tetsusaiga". Just thought I'd clear that up. :) And hopefully my explanation makes sense...I've had Japanese pounded into my head so much over the last year on exchange, I'm not sure if it's easy to understand for a person who isn't studying Japanese. Anyway...

Inuyasha is not mine, but Takahashi Rumiko's as well as property of Shonen Sunday, Shogakukan and Sunrise Studios. On with the story...

Chapter Five
The Glowing Tessaiga

By Laura Hoak-Kagey

Kagome was carefully watching Sesshoumaru as he came closer to her. He better not touch me, Kagome thought to herself. The mere thought of it made her sick in the stomach. How this demon was related to Inuyasha, Kagome had never quite figured out. They were completely different, not at all alike.

Sesshoumaru stopped inches in front of Kagome. He towered over her, and so Kagome had had to look up to see his face. "Human, you were a nuisance to me many times. I don't remember how many times you interrupted the battles I had with Inuyasha. You use emotions rather than your head in a fight. But I assure you, this time, emotions are sure to get you nowhere."

He paused long enough to trail his finger down Kagome's cheek, place it under her chin, and tilt her head towards him. He saw anger mixed with fear in her eyes. Good, he thought to himself.

Kagome managed to calmly say, "What is it that you came for? I never agreed to be some kind of companion for your loneliness or whatever. I still own myself and my thoughts."

Sesshoumaru nearly chuckled to himself. This was so much more amusing with a strong willed human. Usually humans cowered before him and begged for their lives. Yes, this was different for him.

"I'm not sure you will enjoy hearing the reason I came. So..."

Sesshoumaru forced a kiss on Kagome. He managed to force his tongue past her lips as well. He hadn't kissed this human because of how good she would taste. Humans in general were rather revolting, but he did enjoy her reaction. Hmph, this would be fun. Especially when he could finally use all of this against his lowly half-brother.

Kagome had not expected Sesshoumaru to kiss her. The instant she felt his tongue in her mouth, she tried to bite him. This was definitely not how she wanted her life at the moment. Sesshoumaru was the most disgusting, man, no, demon male she had ever known.

When Kagome tried to bite his tongue, Sesshoumaru shoved her away from him. As she hit the floor he said, "Watch what you do. If you are concerned at all about your daughter's safety."

Sesshoumaru turned and left the room.

After Sesshoumaru had left the room, Kagome let her guard down, and let her emotions flow. Tears started to trickle down her cheeks.

"Sakura...please know your mommy cares about you. I'm gonna find a way to you soon, I promise." Kagome then laid her head over her arms, on the top of her bed, and softly started to cry.

"Inuyasha..."

*~*~*

It was a rare occasion for Inuyasha. He had nothing to say, and merely stood staring at Miroku.

"Inuyasha. Please consider the facts. Sakura is nearly five years old. Given the average nine months for pregnancy, the time works out right. You said yourself that she smells of Kagome, and have heard several facts that tell us she is definitely Kagome's daughter. Sakura told you she has no father. Lastly, you and Kagome *did* have sex before the pair of you jumped into the well together. Unless you think Kagome is the type of person to sleep with anyone, meaning she would have had to do it right after she jumped into the well and was trapped in her world alone, what other conclusions are there?"

Inuyasha had only listened to half of what Miroku had said. Sakura, his daughter? True that was what he wanted to be true, but was it? He could see his white hair and Kagome's bluish black hair producing a light, blue haired child. Yeah, he could see that. But that would mean that Sakura was a quarter demon. Why hadn't he noticed it in her scent before? Then it hit him.

"The night I met Sakura, I think I said I smelled a demon nearby, but Sango said she hadn't found any. Is that right?"

Miroku placed his fingers under his chin, a sign of slight concentration. "Now that you mention it, that sounds correct to me. Which would be yet another piece of evidence to support my conclusion. Is there a way to discover if Sakura has demon blood running through her veins? I'm not familiar with those types of things."

Inuyasha snorted. "As if we have a 'usual procedure' for these things. Most demons don't like to mate with humans anyways. Usually the greater demons're tryin' to find out who has human blood in 'em. But...if Sakura's of my father's line, then I've got a way. If when she touches the Tessaiga it reacts, even a little, then we'll know the truth. Let's go and find out, Miroku."

Inuyasha began to run back towards the hut, with Miroku not far behind him. All Inuyasha could do was think about Sakura. If she was his and Kagome's daughter...but still, that left the problem of where Kagome was. She wouldn't leave her daughter running around the woods in this world, and what Sango had said earlier made sense. Kagome would have come to visit Kaede, even if she didn't know Kaede had died last year.

[Kagome...if it's true and she's our daughter...please, I just wanna have ya near me again. It's been so lonely these past years...where're ya at now?]

*~*~*

Sango was cleaning up after the breakfast mess when she felt someone tug at her kimono. Since both of her children had a habit of doing that, Sango looked down to see who it was. She was surprised to see Sakura standing there, about ready to cry.

She stooped down to Sakura's eye level. "What's wrong dear? You can tell me."

Sakura gave a sniffle before the tears started to run down her face. "My mommy," sniff, "I wanna see her." Sniff, "Where's she at? Are ya gonna find her for me?" Sniff.

Sango couldn't help but feel sympathetic for the girl. She wiped away Sakura's tears with her hand. "Of course I'm gonna find her. Once Inuyasha and Miroku come back, I promise we'll look for her okay?"

Sniff. "'Kay. But I still miss her so much!" Sakura buried her head in Sango's shoulder.

Stroking the girl's head, she heard noises that told her Miroku and Inuyasha were back. Still trying to calm Sakura down, she saw them walk into the kitchen. When Sango saw Inuyasha, she could tell something had transpired between the pair on their "walk."

When Inuyasha walked into the kitchen, and saw Sakura there crying, a part of him wanted to reach out and stop her tears. If she was his daughter, then he never wanted to see her cry. There was so much he wanted to do for her.

"Welcome back, Miroku, Inuyasha."

After she heard their names, Sakura lifted her head, and wiped the tears from her face. She gave Miroku and Inuyasha a weak smile.

"Inuyasha, you came back." Sakura looked back to Sango. "Does that mean we can go now? Like you promised?"

"Sango smiled and then nodded. "Of course." She looked to Miroku and Inuyasha, and after seeing a slightly confused look on each of their faces, Sango decided she should explain her promise to Sakura.

"Well, I promised her we'd go and look for her mama after you two got back. You two ready?" As she spoke, Sango was already tying up her hair, in her old Demon Hunter fashion.

Inuyasha exchanged looks with Miroku before he said, "Well, if ya give me 'bout three minutes or so, I'll be ready to go." He looked to Sakura. "I have a question to ask ya, Sakura. Is that okay?"

Sakura nodded her head. She'd do nearly anything Inuyasha would ask of her. Afterall, he had said that he would pretend to be her daddy for a little while.

"Okay, let's go outside first."

Inuyasha began walking towards the door, and Sakura followed. She wanted to reach up and take his hand, just like she always did with her mommy, but decided she shouldn't this time. Inuyasha had looked a little bit serious, and she didn't want to make him mad in any way.

After they had exited the door, Inuyasha stopped walking, and sat down on the ground. He motioned for Sakura to sit next to him. Sakura sat next to Inuyasha, and lifted her face to him.

"So, whatcha wanna talk 'bout?"

Since Inuyasha didn't know of a way to subtly bringing it up (being subtle was not a prominent characteristic of his), he merely put the Tessaiga in front of him and said, "Sakura, I have a favor to ask ya. Lotsa people in my world have what you might think of as magic. If ya have these special powers, then ya usually end up living adventures like in those stories you love so much. I wanna see if you have any powers or not. Just to make things safer for later on."

Inuyasha had had to improvise on that one. Although it wasn't technically the truth, he couldn't exactly blurt out to Sakura that he thought she really was his daughter and touching this sword would prove it to him. He awaited her reply.

A playful look reflected in Sakura's eyes. "What do I hafta do?"

A bit of relief came over Inuyasha. He unsheathed the Tessaiga and laid it back onto the grass. He made sure the blade pointed away from Sakura, and that the hilt lay directly in front of her.

"I just wantcha to put yer hand on the hilt of this sword. If the sword changes, even just a little, then it means ya have some special powers. If ya have 'em, after we find your mommy maybe I can show ya how to use 'em."

Not knowing quite what this would all mean, Sakura laid her hand on the hilt of the sword. For a few seconds, nothing happened. Just as Sakura was about to take her hand away, the sword began to glow a little.

"Look Inuyasha! It's glowing! That's so cool! I haven't seen anything like this before!"

Inuyasha took his gaze from the sword and looked at the little girl's face. Her golden brown eyes were filled with amazement, and the two braids that contained her sky-blue hair hung over the front of her shoulders. This was what his and Kagome's child looked like. [She looks human...not a bit like a demon. But she IS mine and Kagome's kid. I wish I could tell ya now, Sakura. But first, I think it's a better idea to find Kagome. I'm worried about her...]

As if Sakura could tell Inuyasha was staring at her, Sakura asked, "What?"

"Nothing. You can let go of the sword now. We need to find yer mommy, right?"

Sakura nodded as Inuyasha sheathed his sword.

In a minute both of them stood up. Just as they were about to walk back to the house, Inuyasha felt a little hand in his. He looked down at Sakura. When her gaze met his, he gave a small smile. Something he hadn't done for a long time for the benefit of his own happiness.

The two went back in the house to find Sango and Miroku waiting. Sango spoke up. "I'm going with you, Inuyasha. Miroku's gonna stay here to look after the kids."

Turning her gaze to Sakura, she said in a motherly tone of voice, "Sakura, I think you should stay here too. I promise to find your mommy, but I don't want any monsters hurting you. Alright?"

Sakura's face lost a little of it's cheerfulness, but she said anyway, "Okay...mommy'd say the same thing. But I wantcha to find her fast! I wanna see her..."

Sango laid a hand on top of the girl's head. "Of course we'll hurry. Also, while we're gone, you can be a big sister for Yumemi and Shinhaku, okay? I'll leave you in charge of them, and you can tell them I said so." Sango had had to do little deals with her children several times, and it seemed that if an incentive was offered, a child was more likely to obey and put up less resistance.

Because Sakura was an only child, to her this sounded like fun. She gave her head a big nod to let Sango know she understood her.

Inuyasha was glad that Sakura was staying behind. Sango was good at getting children to do things she wanted, and Inuyasha wondered if it was just a woman's instinct or something he'd be able to learn to do.

Instead of dwelling on these thoughts for too long, he let go of Sakura's hand and stooped down to her level. "Yeah, we'll bring yer mommy home safe. Wait fer us, okay?"

Sakura nodded, and Inuyasha gave her head a pat. He then said to Sango, "Ready Sango?"

Sango nodded her head in consent. But before heading for the door, she ran to give her kids a quick good-bye. Inuyasha took this time to comment to Miroku about Sango. "When'd she become so mother like?"

Miroku smiled. "She is good at many things. More than just fighting, Inuyasha."

He nodded, and then asked Miroku something. "Wouldja take care of Sakura for me?"

"Of course Inuyasha." Miroku then looked to Sakura. "We'll have a good time, won't we Sakura?"

"Of course! I can't wait till we can all play a game! I'm gonna beat you, Miroku!"

Before either man could say another word, Sango walked back into the room.

"Okay, let's go Inuyasha. Kirara's outside, waiting already."

Inuyasha nodded, and the two of them headed for the door, with Sango picking up her boomerang as they passed through the it. Kirara had already transformed, and stood, waiting.

"First I'm gonna take us back to the forest where I found Sakura. We can go from there, especially since you have a good sense of smell, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha nodded. Kirara took to the air, and Inuyasha started taking great, leaping bounds in order to keep up. He needed to find Kagome. Not only for himself, but for Sakura as well.

^^^^^^

Okay, I appreciate criticism. :) (From one person's comment I have gone and started to fix my mistakes in previous chapters.) Since I've been in Japan for the last year I haven't used or read much English...and my grammar's getting worse... Anyway, of course I'm also interested in anything else you wish to tell me. Bye-bye!
July 2001