InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Next Best Thing ❯ Uncle Sesshoumaru ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
After a bit of a break, I'm back! I didn't abandon my fic or anything, but I had the big chore of moving into a new house...so, that's where my time went.

Anyway, Inuyasha doesn't belong to me, nor will it ever. Give credit to Takahashi Rumiko and all other companies that have credit due to them. This is just my little fanfic...something I write for fun. Okay, on with the story!

The Next Best Thing
Chapter Eight: Uncle Sesshoumaru

By Laura Hoak-Kagey

Kagome and Inuyasha had just come into sight of the hut when Sango felt their presence and raced out to them. Even if it wasn't pleasant news, Sango felt that Kagome and Inuyasha needed to know what had happened to Sakura as soon as was possible.

Kagome noticed Sango racing towards them, and just before she was going to say a greeting, Sango made a motion to cut off any talking.

"Inuyasha, Kagome, I'm sorry. Sakura..."

Kagome cut Sango off before she could say anything. "Sakura? What's happened to her Sango?"

Sango's faced darkened a bit before she replied. "She's been taken. While she was playing with Shinhaku and Yumemi some lady with black hair to one side, Rin I think, snatched Sakura. I'm so sorry! Miroku didn't mean for this to happen."

Kagome didn't know what to say. As she stood there speechless it was Inuyasha who spoke up. "Miroku's not to blame. I didn't even think of him takin' Sakura...but what use does he have for her?"

Kagome turned away from Inuyasha and Sango before she spoke. "While I was trapped in his castle, his threats were to Sakura. If I made a single move of escape, or anything like that, he would take her. He said he had a use for a human with a quarter demon blood running through her veins." After she had finished, Kagome put her forehead against the nearest tree. Sakura, the person who meant the most to her, even more than Inuyasha, had been taken from her.

"Kagome..." Inuyasha tried to put a hand on her shoulder only to have her push it away.

"I'm sorry Inuyasha, but right now I need to go inside and sit down. I'm Sakura's mother first, and..." With a blank expression, Kagome started walking for Sango's hut. She was too shocked to even cry. Sakura was gone.

The hand that had been outstretched to comfort Kagome, clutched air before Inuyasha pulled his fist to his chest. He then punched the tree that Kagome had leaned against. "Damn! Why the hell did this hafta happen? Now? Is my fate ta always be unhappy? Kagome too?"

Sango stood where she was and replied, " All I can say is that you were lucky to escape death, and had the fortune of meeting Kagome. A demon and a human trying to be together will never be easy, and you should know that.

"Also, as for Kagome right now...I'm a mother too, and if my twins were ever taken...give her a little time. She still loves you, but her only child has been taken. The child that had made her life happy when you were taken from it. You've been patient for nearly six years. Be patient for a little longer...Kagome will always choose Sakura, so never make her decide."

Inuyasha had been staring at the ground, but now he raised his gaze to meet Sango's. "I never'll make her choose. I just wanna be with her and make Kagome and Sakura happy." He clutched his hands into a fist again before continuing. "My own mother died when I was young, I won't let that happen to Sakura. Never. Sesshoumaru will pay and I won't be so giving this time."

He walked off into the woods, leaving Sango to stand by herself, outside her hut. With one last glance in Inuyasha's direction, she shouted, "Don't do anything stupid alone! Remember you have friends!"

She then walked into the hut, and found Kagome slumped against the wall. Sango sat herself down next to Kagome, and put an arm around her friend's shoulders. "Kagome, I'm here. Don't block everyone out. We'll find her."

Kagome broke down and began to cry. She managed to choke out a few words between sobs. "I...know...but Sakura...even after....finding Inuyasha...why, Sango...why?"

Kagome stopped trying to talk to let out her sobs and tears as she buried herself into Sango's shoulder. Sango put her other arm around her friend and hugged Kagome tightly. Inuyasha wasn't the only one who would find and take care of Sesshoumaru; Sango was next in line.

*~*~*

Sesshoumaru stood waiting in one of his receiving rooms. Just as he was about to find out where Rin was with that child, she came through the door.

"Sorry to be late, Lord Sesshoumaru! It took longer than I thought to get back here. The little girl's legs are a lot shorter than mine." Rin stood holding Sakura's hand. Rin was good-natured at heart, but her adoration for Sesshoumaru had risen above any other reasoning. Kidnapping a child was wrong, but since Sesshoumaru had asked Rin to do it, of course she had done as he said.

Sakura stood where she was, staring at Sesshoumaru. "Who are you? Why did I come here?"

"I think you do not know who I am. I am your uncle. I am your father's half-brother." As much as Sesshoumaru hated to admit that he was related to Inuyasha, he would do so this time. He had a plan for this Sakura girl.

"Uncle? I don't even know who my daddy is..."

"Of course you do. I believe you have already met Inuyasha? He is your father." Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes a little, and waited to see what this girl had to say.

A look of puzzlement came across Sakura's face. "Inuyasha? Why didn't he say something? Why didn't mommy say something? I didn't know Inuyasha had a brother, either."

"Well, your father has been busy for the last few years and wasn't able to see you or your mother. He probably didn't mention Sesshoumaru because he was keeping it a surprise. He probably wanted to bring you and your mother to see me."

Sakura merely stood there for a minute, trying to think about what Sesshoumaru had said. While she did this, Rin eyed the little girl. This Sakura girl had better not try to take Lord Sesshoumaru from her! But since Rin had grown up a bit, she stood waiting to see what would happen. A person could learn a lot more if they wait before they act and usually a person could find out more that way.

Sakura finally broke her silence. "Well, it's nice to meet you and all, but where's my mommy? And my...daddy? Why am I here?"

This girl was full of questions. She probably inherited a strong will from her mother, Sesshoumaru thought to himself. "Well, your mother and father haven't seen each other for a really long time, so they asked me to take care of you for a few days. That is why Rin brought you here. Okay?"

Still not sure if she should believe this person or not, Sakura asked one more question. "How do I know you really are my uncle?"

"Have you been shown that you have 'magic' powers?" He paused long enough to see Sakura nod. This was something Sesshoumaru hadn't counted on, but he decided to use it to his advantage. "I have powers like them too. Watch."

He conjured up a small, blue fire. The small fire leaped twice before going out. "I can teach you to do that and so much more. You are both human and demon. You have no boundaries in this world, and I would like to show you how to at least use magic. Just imagine how happy your parents would be to see their little girl doing magic for them."

"Really?! I do wanna learn...but ya hafta promise to let me see my mommy soon!" Seeing the flame had made Sakura forget about her doubts, and she was know thinking how fun it was to have an uncle that could do magic.

"Of course. You and Sesshoumaru will meet both of your parents." He paused to give an evil smile to himself before motioning to Rin. "Rin, I want you to take Sakura to her room. Report back to me later."

Rin nodded, took Sakura by the hand, and headed out the door. Good, it didn't seem like Lord Sesshoumaru wanted to replace her! Now that Rin thought about it, it might be fun to have a little sister around.

Sesshoumaru watched the two girls leave the room. After they were gone, he spoke to himself. "Ah, you little brat...you will make this fun for me. Just imagine what that Kagome woman and Inuyasha will do when they see their daughter with 'Uncle Sesshoumaru.' The child will not want me hurt, and there her parents will be, wishing to kill me as soon as they see me. Oh yes, this should be fun. Not to mention I still have that Kagome woman under my control..."

*~*~*

Inuyasha was sitting against a tree with his arms inside of his sleeves, thinking. Six years ago he would have gone after Sesshoumaru without a second thought, but now that he was older, he knew he needed to devise some kind of plan. Sesshoumaru had his daughter and there had to be some reason for it, but why? Inuyasha was pretty sure that Sakura had no idea who Sesshoumaru was, which made the situation more dangerous. His brother could say anything and the girl wouldn't know the difference. Just as he had thought his life would go right again, this happened. Inuyasha let out a big sigh.

Before Inuyasha could let his thoughts wander any more, he heard the sound of a twig breaking. He jumped to his feet, sniffed the air, and relaxed. It was Miroku who came out of the shadows.

"Whatcha want, Miroku? How didja find me?"

Miroku didn't say a word until he stood in front of Inuyasha. "I had heard the commotion outside of my hut, and just as I went to see what happened, I saw you run off. So, I decided to follow you and here I am. Sango is back home with the twins and Kagome, so I came to talk to you. I have been thinking..."

"Yeah...?"

"Well, if you're interested, I may have a plan. But I need to ask you a few questions before I tell you anything. They're about Sesshoumaru..."

*~*~*

Kagome had finally fallen asleep. Sango slowly lowered her friend's head to the floor before standing up. Sango found a blanket, covered Kagome with it, and went to check on her kids. Miroku had told her everything the twins had said to him and now she tossed these facts around in her head.

She came to Shinhaku and Yumemi's room and checked to make sure they were asleep. After kissing each of their foreheads, Sango left the room for her own. When Kaede had died, she had left a few mysterious yet useful items behind. Sango was determined to look through Kaede's notes and left behind items to see if any of them could help Kagome or Inuyasha. Sango felt a little bit responsible for what had happened to Sakura. She and Miroku should have taken more precautions, but they hadn't done so. And now...

Sango shook her head from side to side. She needed to make these thoughts go away. The past couldn't be changed, but she did need to find a way to make the future right again.

==============
Alright, how was it? Hopefully people haven't given hope on me writing on this fic...Not having your own computer kind of makes it hard! But I'll try hard to write another chapter before long...

Who would have thought this would be so long? Though I don't think it'll be as long as The Queen of Swords IY story. ;)
September 2001
http://animeforever.com/inuyasha