InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Other Brother ❯ Shattered Dream ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N:1) I apologize for the delay. I realized that I needed to make quite a few changes, and it took me this long to make them.
2) This story has been written in response to a challenge by KyouFan17 in A Single Spark. This story is based off the 1995 movie 'Sabrina'.
 
Warning: All characters will be OOC, especially Inuyasha.
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. That honour belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 

THE OTHER BROTHER
by fantaskie

 
 
Chapter One
Shattered Dream
 
 
The light tinkling of crystal glasses, the cheerful drone of live music, and the gay laughter of champagne-intoxicated guests filled the night air. A gentle breeze blew in and rustled through the leaves of overhanging branches, while the star-lit sky served as a romantic backdrop to the fashionably dressed people below.
 
 
A young man, whose laughter seemed more open and relaxed than others, twirled his partner round on the dance floor. His golden eyes sparkled with irresistible fun as the woman in his arms leant into him feeling quite breathless. He bent his head down slightly and lay a passionate kiss on the woman's mouth. But he made it brief, and a sigh escaped her lips as he moved away.
 
 
A little away and above the ground another sigh could be heard echoing through the whispering leaves. Soft brown eyes gazed longingly, through a pair of black-rimmed glasses, at the rakish youth. She knew that the object of her longing would never be hers. Yet she did not see the harm in dreaming and wanting.
 
 
Letting loose another soft sight the girl in the tree leant forward until her arms lay across another branch, relaxing in her position as she watched the man of her dreams. He really was something. His sun-kissed eyes sparkled with the joy of life. His smile was endearing and heart-melting. His laughter was loud yet spirited. It was said that he could charm the socks off a poor man in the dead of winter if he tried. Indeed, he was always a favourite at parties, for he knew how to be merry and gay. And, without question, women loved him, especially in bed.
 
 
That last the girl in the tree was keenly aware of. At least, she was aware of the times when the silver-haired man would disappear round the hedges, past the pond, to the green-house where he would woo his woman of the evening. It was always the same, and the silent observer was very familiar with the routine.
 
 
This night was no exception. She bit her lower lip softly as her eyes followed the couple beneath her perch in the tree. Her fingers held tightly onto the branch as she saw the man of her dreams lean in to whisper something into his partner's ear. The pleased smile on her lips and the sultry look in her blue eyes told the girl in the tree what exactly it was that the woman was responding to. She watched as the young man flipped his long wavy hair from off his shoulder and went up to the serving bar where he slipped two champagne glasses into the back of his pant pocket.
 
 
A few minutes later the couple had disappeared round the lighted hedge, and Kagome knew that her silent vigilance stopped there. What came after was for Inuyasha and his chosen lady-of-the-night alone.
 
 
Sighing softly yet again she contemplated the unfairness of life that had chosen to keep her leagues away from the one man she wanted. Her mother was a mere maid, and she was just a girl whose duty it was to remain invisible to the likes of Inuyasha.
 
 
A soft voice called out to Kagome cutting gently through her wistful musings, and she turned to peer down through the leaves. Her mother stood beneath the tree, small and petite, as she looked up, squinting for a sign of her daughter whom she knew was up there somewhere.
 
 
“I'll be down in a second, mom,” Kagome whispered before she slipped off her branch until she was hanging from it with her hands. Then swinging herself slightly she jumped lightly to the ground and turned to grin at her mother.
 
 
Her mother returned her grin with an affectionate smile, and putting an arm around her said cheerfully, “See anything interesting from up there today, my love?”
 
 
Kagome's high pony tail shook vigorously from side to side along with the movement of her head as she replied, “No. That is…nothing that I don't always see at these parties. As usual the women are beautiful, the men smart, and the music and dancing wonderful!” She laughed and twirled, and then glanced into her mother's eye before a deep blush entered her cheeks.
 
 
Her mother noticed this and laughed knowingly. “And how was Master Inuyasha?”
 
 
A sigh was her response before her daughter spun around in front of her to walk backwards, her dark eyes bright and luminous in her face as she said dramatically, “Oh! He was the most MARVELOUS of them all!”
 
 
A hearty chuckle behind her made Kagome whirl around to find Afya, one of the other maids, looking at her in affectionate amusement. She was big-bosomed and motherly, and treated the young woman, before her, like a grand-daughter. “I am sure that all you ever saw this night was Master Inuyasha, little one! But be careful for sometimes dreaming too high can bring you crashing down hard and fast.”
 
 
Kagome smiled and then ran to hug her. “Don't worry Afya dear. I'll be all right.”
 
 
“Well, it's time for bed, my love! We have an early start tomorrow since you promised to help with the cleaning,” Mrs. Higurashi reminded her daughter.
 
 
“Ah, yes! Well…goodnight, Afya. Goodnight, mom!” she said with a bright smile as she disappeared toward the servants' quarters where her mother and she had a small cottage of their own.
 
 
Slipping into her bedroom Kagome gazed at herself in the mirror, just as she did every night. What she saw left her highly displeased: a girl of medium height with hair as dark as a raven's wing, and brown bespectacled eyes that, she was sure, could never draw a man to her. She wondered if, perhaps, she had been a blond, or atleast had blue eyes, if she would've had a chance with Inuyasha? She watched as her brows drew together in a frown and her lips pouted in displeasure. She doubted if it would make a difference. She was just too…low class. He was worthy of something better.
 
 
She looked at herself, wistfully, a while longer. And then giving her head a little shake she stuck her tongue out at her image in the mirror, and then hurried to put on her night gown before slipping into her bed and drawing the covers over her.
 
 
Her last thought as her weary eyes closed for the night was that she might not be able to have him in real life, but in her dreams she was her own master and he was hers.
 
 
-o-O-o-
 
 
Taking a sip of white champagne he allowed the idle chatter of his companions to wash over him. His mind was busy going through the appointments he had for the next day, not to mention the million-dollar merger that was to take place a week from then. It had been a battle of wits with a dash of intrigue, but Taisho Corp. had managed to emerge the winner. Only the finer details were to be finalized before the take-over was complete, and he could not rest until the papers had been signed.
 
 
High pitched laughter made his ears ring, and brought him back to his current surroundings. His dark brows drew into a frown of irritation as he looked about him at the faces of the high-society people with wide grins plastered on their faces, and meaningless laughter echoing through the lit lawns. How he hated these stupid parties. But as a tycoon he had his duty to the business world, and hosting and attending the likes of this were part of that duty. There were others, though, that thrived on this sort of thing; his stupid, little brother, for instance.
 
 
The shrill laughter came to his ears again making him wince. He looked about him in annoyance until he located the source of the horrendous noise. It belonged to a lovely, simpering blond who was with his brother at the moment. They were sharing what he supposed they thought was a joke, and they were getting way too familiar with each other. It was all Sesshoumaru could do to keep from grimacing at his brother's display. He was just about to tell him to mind his surroundings when said brother suddenly headed to the bar to collect a couple of glasses and some champagne.
 
 
One delicate eyebrow rose at that sight. He knew where that was going, but he shrugged and turned away. At least Inuyasha finally had the good sense to take his philandering elsewhere.
 
 
A sudden flash of light caused him to look up at a tree to his right. As his eyes focused he realized that the glasses reflecting the light from the garden belonged to the young Higurashi girl. He made no move to order her out of the tree or to have her removed. He knew that that was her spot every time there was a party, and she posed no amount of threat or disturbance to anyone. So he let her remain.
 
 
Draining his glass of champagne he made to replenish it when he heard a deep, feminine, musical voice call out, “Sesshoumaru, my love! Where have you been? Karamura has been meaning to speak to you since he got here.”
 
 
Sesshoumaru turned to find his mother with her arm on an elderly gentleman's arm. Said gentleman held out his right hand, and said with a hearty drawl, “Sesshoumaru! I hear you won the deal, and you'll be heading the merger!”
 
 
Shaking the other man's hand in greeting Sesshoumaru nodded curtly. “Yes.”
 
 
“Good! Good!” Karamura beamed. “I also hear you've come up with some mighty interesting schemes as well. Rumour has it that they are rather…er…unconventional?” He paused meaningfully, hoping to get an informative response from the younger man.
 
 
He was destined for disappointment. As anyone who knew Sesshoumaru Taisho could tell you his response was a mere, unforthcoming “hn”.
 
 
Izumi Taisho rolled her eyes at her son's response, and knew that if she wanted to spare her guest's feelings she would have to remove him from her elder boy's vicinity at once. Sesshoumaru flashed her a grim smile as she led Karamura away.
 
 
But he wasn't left alone for long as a giggling, high-society butterfly latched herself onto his arm. Recognizing the dark-haired girl and her brother, both of whom he found to be nothing but dead bores, he sighed inwardly and resigned himself to the long night ahead.
 
 
-o-O-o-
 
 
Morning found Kagome awakening to the chirpy humming of her mother as she got breakfast ready. Standing at the doorway, her hair all mussed up and her eyes still gooey from sleep, Kagome watched her mother bustle about the kitchen. She frowned in puzzlement. Her mother was always cheerful, especially in the mornings. But today she seemed extra cheerful and she wondered what was responsible for this. Unable to contain her curiosity any longer she asked, “Is there something special today, mom? Your birthday maybe? No. It can't be. I remember giving you presents last month… Has Christmas come early then?”
 
 
Mrs. Higurashi started at the sound of her daughter's voice and whirled around. Kagome's eyes narrowed when she saw the look on her mother's face. She looked quite guilty and confused at the same time.
 
 
“Mom?”
 
 
“It's nothing, my love,” came the hasty reply as Mrs. Higurashi turned back to the stove, her cheeks all flushed.
 
 
`You're lying,” Kagome came further into the kitchen and glared at her mother's back.
 
 
At that Mrs. Higurashi turned and stared her down. “Do not use that tone with me, young lady!” Then her eyes softened as she saw the red of embarrassment and shame rise in her daughter's cheeks, and said in a quieter tone, “You're right, my love. There is something. But you'll be told later.” Laying two plates piled up with scrambled eggs and ham and sausages, and bread and jam, and cheese, she continued, “But for now, eat up. You promised to help with the cleaning today, remember?”
 
 
Kagome nodded rather absently mindedly as her eyes widened at the sight of the morning feast. All thoughts of surprises and secrets flew out of her head as she settled herself down to her favourite kind of breakfast.
 
 
About an hour later she walked into the huge kitchen of the Taisho mansion to find all the servants, as usual, gathered about the kitchen table and sharing tidbits of news. This morning, however, a hush fell on the group as she stepped in. But their faces were wreathed in smiles. Kagome's curiosity was aroused again, and she was beginning to feel rather belligerent. It seemed like she was the only one being left out of a secret, and she was upset.
 
 
Just as she was about to open her mouth and ask everyone what they were smiling about Afya hurried over to her making clucking sounds as she said, “It's about time, my dear! I've been waiting for you to come and help with the lights!” She noticed the stubborn set to the young girl's jaw, and one eyebrow quirked up, “Don't you want to help clean up, Kagome?”
 
 
At that the younger woman flushed, and apologized rather reluctantly as she followed Afya out the kitchen door. Lagging behind a little Kagome finally asked the question that was nagging at her. “What is going on, Afya? Everyone seems to be excited about something. In fact, I seem to be the only one who doesn't know what's going on?” she whined.
 
 
“Hush, child. There are some things that some people are not meant to hear about until the right time.”
 
 
“Oh come on, Afya! I'm eighteen years old now! All my life I've waited to become an official adult so that I didn't have to wait for the right time. The time couldn't be more right than this, could it?”
 
 
Afya looked at her thoughtfully, and then smiled, shaking her head gently. “Don't worry child. You'll learn soon enough. Now…are you going to help me or am I to do this by myself?” she said as she struggled to untangle some wires from a rather grabby bush.
 
 
Rushing to help her, Kagome decided to let the topic slide for now, as she began to take down the lights. She would bother her mother later for information.
 
 
Taking down the lights took less time than putting them up had. So in about a little over a half hour the two of them returned to the kitchens.
 
 
Just as they seated themselves at the counter for a glass of fruit juice the intercom buzzed and the butler, Yasuo, answered it. Listening in for a second he nodded, and then turned to Kagome with a huge smile as he said, “Mrs.Taisho will see you in the Yellow Drawing Room, little one.”
 
 
Kagome choked on the sip of juice she'd taken before she managed to croak out, “ME?...B-but why?!”
 
 
“Now, now, love! Just go along, and don't keep the grand lady waiting!” said Afya as she urged Kagome out the door.
 
 
The girl's eyes sought desperately for her mother who was busy at the stove. At that moment she turned to give her daughter an encouraging smile and nod which seemed to calm the agitated girl a bit. She quickly pulled herself together, took a deep breath, and then left the kitchens.
 
 
-o-O-o-
 
 
 
Kagome stood before Izumi Taisho in a state of shock. Her jaw hung open and she was finding it hard to breath. Her vision was a bit blurred as her brain tried to process what she had just heard.
 
 
Izumi sat upright in her chair looking quite pleased with herself. She felt absolutely benevolent and was quite sure that the Tokyo Philanthropic Society, otherwise known as TPS, would applaud her decision. To help someone in need was something that she had wanted to do for ages, and Mrs. Higurashi had been a good and faithful servant for all the time she had been with them. Izumi had felt the need to reward her, and the woman had asked that her little girl be given a chance at making a good career.
 
 
Well, here was her chance!
 
 
Kagome was not too sure how to take the news. Go to Paris? Work for a fashion magazine?! B…b…but….? Leave home? Leave all the people she knew? All the people she loved?
 
 
For some reason Kagome couldn't see the good in all of this. Tears stung her eyes and she wanted to plead with Mrs. Taisho to not send her away. Wait….she was saying something. What was it?
 
 
“I trust that you will do well, Kagome. It is very rarely indeed that a young woman such as yourself gets an opportunity like this. Your mother told me of your artistic talent, and wished something like this for you. And now you get to make a career out of it, yes?” One dark brow rose in question.
 
 
Kagome stared blindly at her. Inuyasha, she thought stupidly. She would not see Inuyasha for a long, long time! His beautiful eyes and gorgeous smile.
 
 
A slight frown was beginning to mar the handsome features before her, and Kagome quickly made to reply, “er….y..yes, ma'am. This would be a l.lovely opportunity for me, ma'am…and it's awfully generous of you to offer it t…to me.” She looked down at the floor and quickly bowed before she said rather unsteadily, “Thank you, Mrs. Taisho. Do I have your p...permission to leave?”
 
 
As Kagome had given her response, the frown on Izumi's face had begun to smoothen back into a smile. The girl was absolutely grateful. The tears in her eyes were proof. She felt very benevolent at the moment as she nodded her permission for the girl to withdraw. Sesshoumaru would not be too pleased with her decision to spend her money on a servant's daughter, but she could handle him later.
 
 
-o-O-o-
 
 
Somewhere out in the gardens, high up in a tree, a forlorn girl wept her heart out unaware that, elsewhere, others were rejoicing in her good fortune.