InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Other World ❯ A Golden-Eyed Stranger ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Her eyes shut tight as she let out a huge yawn. It was a beautiful sunny day and she had been outdoors since before the sun edged its fiery orb over the horizon. She was up and about and feeling refreshed as ever this morning.
 
She got up feeling none of the usual depression, or fleeting gratefulness, that she had felt these past weeks when waking up in Kaede's drafty wooden hut, but rather she was filled with a sense of peacefulness, and maybe even anticipation. So, she had gotten up early—very early—and had grabbed a wicker basket on her way out the door. Since then she had been everywhere.
 
Many of the men had left weeks ago with the warlord's army, and so now it was basically just the women, elderly and children—who all seemed to love her. It was a bit strange, seeing as she was a stranger who just arrived suddenly one day, with no home, nowhere to go—and they just accepted her. She was very grateful for that. At the village, the people had given her so much food that she'd had to make a trip back to Kaede's to drop it all off. Now, she was berry picking, and had been at it for hours. Yet somehow her basket never seemed to fill up. She couldn't figure it out.
 
Subconsciously, Kagome popped another berry into her mouth, and moments later another yawn stopped her in mid-stride. A short rest was in order. She decided to keep going until she found a stream, as thirst clawed at her throat. She tried popping a few more berries in her mouth, but it didn't help. Oh well, it tasted good.
 
Trudging deeper into the forest, she tugged the red fire rat haori tighter around her body to protect herself from the last remnants of winter. She still had no idea who it had belonged to, or why they hadn't come to claim it—Kaede had said it was quite a rare and valuable thing, not something that someone would willingly give up. She wondered idly what the person who had saved her even looked like. In her mind, images of her very own prince charming assailed her, left over from a time when she was happy. She had wanted someone sweet and loving, who wouldn't take her for granted, and who honestly cared about her. Kagome sighed. Fat chance she'd find anyone like that in this strange world.
 
Stopping to look at her surroundings, she realized she was on unfamiliar ground—she had never seen any of this before! A twig snapped to her right, and her head twisted around towards the sound. A faint glimmer of sunlight could be seen beyond the trees in that direction, and she cautiously headed towards it. Gurgling could be heard there as well and Kagome was surprised at her good luck as she came upon the clearing. At its center stood a tall and aged tree—the biggest Kagome had ever seen in fact—and running through the clearing was a small stream. Kneeling beside the stream, Kagome stuck her hands into the cold, clear water and took a few much-needed gulps, then splashed it onto her face to wake herself up.
 
Refreshed, she stared into the water, seeing her reflection appear and disappear with the changing current of the stream. Suddenly she felt so alone. Her lone reflection stared back at her solemnly. She wished that her family could be there in the reflection with her, happy and full of life. Her gaze hardened. That was impossible though. Even if Souta really was alive, she could never see him again, at least not if she couldn't get out of this place. A single tear dropped into the stream. If only…if only she had never jumped off of that roof…if only she hadn't taken out that picture…if only she had never gotten into that car…the world was full of `if only'-s. If only it weren't.
 
She shook her head to clear it. She would not dwell on the past. If she could find a way, any way at all, to get back to Souta, then she would do it. If not…
 
Suddenly cold water splashed against her face and Kagome jerked up and stumbled back from the water's edge. Something that sounded suspiciously like a snort of laughter drifted to her from up above. Slowly she cast her eyes toward the huge tree, and her gaze moved up the tree with infuriating slowness.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
He'd been watching her for a few minutes now as she sat hunched over the stream. When she'd walked into the clearing he couldn't believe his luck. Maybe he could finally get it back today! He growled irritably. The damn girl never left his haori alone! For the past two weeks he'd been following her—just waiting for his chance—but he never got one. She wore it outside, she wore it inside-the damn girl even wore it to bed! And when she wasn't wearing it there was always someone else around. All he wanted was a quick in and out—no one would be the wiser. But now this was perfect. No one else was around.
 
He took a deep breath, steadying himself for a quick steal—and caught a whiff of her. He hadn't noticed it before, but she had a nice smell…she was still a human though. The smell of tears wafted to his nose then and he gazed down at her. Stupid weakling girl.
He watched a moment longer and was about to get up when he saw her get splashed right in the face and stumble backward. He let out a snort of laughter before he could stop himself, then immediately froze.
 
She'd heard him. He watched stiffly as she slowly moved her gaze up the tree. Maybe she wouldn't see him if he didn't move…But he doubted that. He was right in her line of vision. Well, he figured, if she's going to see me anyway…
 
He jumped down from his high perch and landed just in front of her. He heard her gasp softly and jerk away from him, knowing she'd seen his unusual hair and dog-ears. Just as he'd thought. Another weak hanyou-hating human. He scowled down at her unconsciously for it.
 
“Who...are you?” she asked hesitantly, a hint of fear in her voice. It was a bit scary being scowled down at by someone with long white hair, dog-ears and fangs. Sharp-looking fangs. Interestingly enough, the odd dog-ears on his head didn't really scare her at all. Quite the opposite in fact. A small smile tugged at her lips until a gruff voice interrupted her musings.
 
“Hmph. Inuyasha. Not that it matters or anything.” He was still glaring at her, his golden eyes
 
“Oh…”she breathed lightly.
 
Oh? That was all? Strange girl. He gave her an odd look before speaking up again. “I hope you don't plan to just sit there all day, wench. You're getting my shirt all dirty you know.”
 
At that she seemed to regain some of her composure, and shot him a dirty look before pushing herself up to stand. “Your shirt? What are you talking about? You're wearing your sh…oh.” A look of realization came over her and she gestured to the red haori hanging around her shoulders. “This is yours isn't it.” It wasn't a question. He nodded once.
 
She glared at him angrily. It actually scared him. “Then why didn't you say so in the first place! You scared me half to death! I thought you were going to kill me or something!” That might have been a bit of an exaggeration. He was backing away slowly now, but she continued. “And now you have the nerve to tell me it was you that brought me to Kaede's?!” She was growing a bit frantic now. He was leaning against the ancient tree now and looked like he was trying to sink into its trunk and disappear. Unfortunately it wasn't working out.
 
She spun to face him. A look of pure curiosity spread over her face, completely replacing the look of fiery anger that had only moments ago managed to plaster him to the tree. “Where did you find me?” It was such a sudden change that Inuyasha could only stand there stunned, his mouth dropping open to gape at her.
 
He pointed just to the left of him, still trying to gather himself in the face of such…such scariness.