InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Past and Future ❯ Naraku's Death ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You haven't heard the last of me!” Naraku screamed his last words as his body disintegrated from the blast of everyone's attack. At the sight of their greatest foe disappearing in the rising sun put a peaceful look on their faces. They took no heed of Naraku's words. They didn't have to fear him anymore. There was no reason too.
 
It was over.
 
They looked at each other with loving looks knowing it was finally over. Their quest was done. After five years there was peace. They could live in peace. No more worrying. No more fear of the out come with the next battle. No more horror. No more battle fields. No more blood. Never again would they go through this. This was the end and they couldn't ask for more.
 
“Kagome…” Inuyasha called out getting Kagome's attention from the rising sun to him. She gave him a confused look seeing the pain in his eyes. Worry shone in her eyes as she thought of the possibilities in her mind to make him feel such pain. The only thing that really stood out in her mind was that he was leaving. Leaving who? He was going to leave this…everyone, everything. He was going to leave so that he could be with Kikyo. Kikyo, Kami did Kagome hated that name. No. Kagome disagreed. She didn't hate it. No she did not. She just didn't want Inuyasha to leave. To leave her all alone in the living world.
 
“Yes Inuyasha?” replied Kagome with fake happiness. She deicide if he was going to leave even if he was leaving her she was going to be happy for him. It was the last thing she wanted to do was make Inuyasha feel guilty for leaving. No. She wanted him to be happy with his decision even if that decision killed her inside. As long as long as he was happy she will be happy and that was what had decided.
 
“Are you okay?” Inuyasha asked her with a gentle voice to show his concern. Kagome was taken back at the question he gave. She had expected that he would blurt out telling her that he was leaving for Kikyo not something like this. It confused Kagome and it must have shone on her face because Inuyasha came closer and cupped her cheek.
 
“What's wrong? Are you okay?” Inuyasha asked worried from her expressions and lack of answer. Kagome nodded and purposely lend into the warmth that was radiating off from Inuyasha's hand. For that second Kagome forgot everything; her troubles, the people watching the scene between them, and lastly Kagome forgot Kikyo. This could be the last time she would be able to feel Inuyasha against her skin. She wanted to remember this moment so when Inuyasha leaves she could remember this moment in time. To know what it feels like to be with your love even though your love doesn't love you back and doesn't know of your feelings. This was something that she wanted to hold to her heart. So when she thought back she could remember what she couldn't have but she felt loved. There was a saying that Kagome could recall. It was better to fell love and lose it to not feel loved at all. It was a saying that Kagome held dear to her heart and she will forever hold this moment with it. Kagome reopened her eyes when she felt Inuyasha move in front of her. No…Kagome thought desperately. Don't leave! Just a little bit longer! Please! Just a bit longer! Kagome's pleas fell on deaf ears as Inuyasha pulled his clawed hand from Kagome's cheek and put it on Kagome's brow.
 
“Are you sure you're feeling okay, Kagome? You're acting really strange.” Inuyasha repeated himself. He felt Kagome nodded and he removed his hand letting it fall to his side. It worried him that Kagome was acting like this. She was acting like they would never see each other again. At first it confused him as to why Kagome was acting like this when it hit him. Kagome was leaving. That had to be it. Inuyasha couldn't think of anything else. The thought of Kagome leaving him tore at his heart but kept it in. If one of them was to be strong it was him. Even though he was hurting he wouldn't cry. Hell he might get lucky and be wrong. Kami he pried that he was wrong but there was little hope.
 
At first Inuyasha wanted to yell and scream at Kagome but then he thought over between things. There wasn't a lot here for Kagome. Yea there was him and her friends but that was it. There she had a life. Somewhere she could make a name for herself. There she had family that was still alive and was waiting for her return. There she had other friends that would treat her just like her friends here could. So what was her for Kagome? Not a lot from Inuyasha's point of view.
 
That hurt more than any sword knowing that he wasn't good enough but he had to deal with it all of his life; not being good enough. He wasn't good enough to be in the Western Lands. He wasn't good enough to be a brother to Sesshomaru. He wasn't good enough to save his mother. He wasn't good enough to have the chance to live. He wasn't good enough to protect Kikyo. He wasn't good enough to be Kagome's mate. Sure it hurt, hurt like hell but Inuyasha reasoned with himself that he would get over it just like all of the other things. Inuyasha told himself that he didn't truly believe it himself. He knew that if Kagome was to ever leave he would die. If not be heart break alone but by the demons that would want to eat him. If Kagome were to leave he would have nothing to live for. He would have no reason to fight off the demons that would come for him.
 
“Inuyasha…” he heard Kagome calling out to him effectively breaking him from his painful thoughts. He looked down at her but she wasn't looking at him. If he did he would have seen the pain and sorrow in the depths of her brown eyes. Unknown to Kagome he didn't have to see it to know the feelings were there. He could smell it.
 
“What are you going to do now that Naraku is dead?” asked Kagome clenching her eyes shut tightly. There she asked the question. A question that she didn't want to know but a question she needed to know the answer to.
 
Inuyasha glazed at her puzzled at her question. He could smell her pain and sorrow being put into her single question. It scared yet confused him as to why such emotions would be behind a simple question like that. Obviously it wasn't just a simple question to Kagome. He wondered what was running through her head that could cause something like this. The real question was what was he going to do? If Kagome left he didn't know what he was going to do but if she stayed…Inuyasha immediately shook that thought from his head. He had to remember that Kagome was going to return to her time. Her family was there waiting for her. Inuyasha then smelled total sadness coming from Kagome. Why? Inuyasha asked himself. Then he realized that he didn't answer her question but still why would she get sad because of that. Perhaps…just perhaps Kagome has feelings for him. No! Inuyasha scowled himself for thinking he had a chance with Kagome loving him. Inuyasha tried to closed that thought out but no matter what he did that little shine of hope was implanted inside his heart and mind.
 
“I really don't know Kagome. What about you?” Inuyasha told her honestly. He didn't know. It was up to Kagome to deicide what he was going to do in the future. Kagome felt a wave of relief go through her at Inuyasha's words. She knew that Inuyasha wouldn't lie to her so that meant she might have a chance with him. Though the hope was small it gave Kagome enough to move forward to be beside Inuyasha.
 
“I really don't know either.” Kagome told him with a smile on her face but this time it was for real as the happiness reached her eyes this time. Inuyasha smiled finding relief too at Kagome's answer. He was happy to hear it. He might have a chance with Kagome after all. His heart was jumping with joy in his chest at having Kagome by his side for many years to come.
 
There was only one way to find out.
 
Bring his hands up to Kagome's face he gently cupped them on each cheek and held them there. Kagome looked at each hand in a daze. She didn't know what Inuyasha was doing but what ever he is doing was making her heart pound in her chest. She then put her sights on Inuyasha as she felt him move in closer to her. Kagome had to muffle her gasp as she saw Inuyasha inches away from her face. She swore that her heart had melted then and there. There Inuyasha was staring at her with his intense golden eyes she loved so much about him. They were staring in her chocolate brown eyes with a loving glaze as the eyes she so loved hid behind half closed eyelids.
 
“Inuyasha, what are you-” Inuyasha cut her off by sealing her soft cherry lips with his own. With out Kagome noticing Inuyasha had lend in closer making quick work of what little space they had between them. Inuyasha did nothing else once his lips touched Kagome's in fear that he was wrong and didn't want this. His body tense waiting for the rejection that Kagome was about to give him for doing this.
 
Kagome for a second was in shock staring wide eye at Inuyasha's closed ones. It was then that she realized what he had done and without a second thought started to kiss him back. To deepen it she sneaked her arms around Inuyasha's neck and thrust her arm in his silver locks. Inuyasha almost had tears coming out of his eyes when Kagome started to return the kiss back. He had almost pulled back thinking that he had made a mistake and Kagome really didn't want this. Kagome did on the other hand have tears coming out of her eyes. Thanking who was ever answered her pries for giving Inuyasha to her. The kiss shortly ended. It was nothing big but an innocent loving kiss that they shared.
 
“Inuyasha what about Kikyo?” asked Kagome uncertain about Inuyasha's feelings for her. She wanted this to be real. To know that Inuyasha had kissed her and not Kikyo. To know he has feelings for her and not Kikyo. She didn't want to think that all he saw was his first love but she had to know and this was the only way to know the truth. Inuyasha gave her a small smile. It was like he had read her thoughts and knew what she was worried about.
 
“Kagome…” Inuyasha started out. “How you ever think that? When I have such a beautiful woman right in front of me.” he told her with all of the love he had for her in his few words. Kagome's eyes filled with more tears at hearing his loving words. He said it, the words that she wanted to hear from his mouth. His few words made Kagome feel like the luckiest girl in both modern Japan and the feudal era. It felt like a dream to Kagome but the warmth and love that Kagome from Inuyasha proved her wrong. It was real. He said those words to her and not Kikyo, but to Kagome, her. Kagome closed her eyes when Inuyasha brought up his clawed hand to her eyes and wiped the tears away only to have them replace with more.
 
“Come on Kagome. Enough with the tears.” Inuyasha softly ordered her as he continued to wipe away each tear that fell from her eyes. All Kagome did was smile at him. Today couldn't get any better. Their greatest foe was gone, ridden from this world and her secret love was pouring his heart out to her and only her. It couldn't get any better.
 
“I love you Inuyasha.” Kagome told him as she kissed his soft lip with her own. She couldn't ask for anything else at the moment. At first Inuyasha didn't respond because of the shock that he got about Kagome kissing him but it quickly fading as he kissed her back.
 
“I love you too, Kagome.” Inuyasha said to her in between the kisses that were being shared between them. Kagome barely heard it but that was all she needed. From his words her heart was blazing from the love and joy she held for Inuyasha.
 
00000000000000000000
 
“They seem so happy.” commented Sango as she watched Inuyasha and Kagome kiss while confessing their love for each other. It her eyes they seemed so happy. Sango thanked anyone that was listening to her prayers for she wanted her best friend to find happiness. It always pained her to see Kagome go through such things for Inuyasha. She had prayed to the Kamis to help Inuyasha see what was in front of him and not the past. It seems that they answered her and not a moment too later either.
 
“That they do.” Miroku agreed with her as he put a hand around her waist and pulled her close to his body. The feeling of her body against his put Miroku in a daze as his mind thought such things but Miroku quickly shut them out not wanting to get Sango mad at him before allowing him to say what he wanted to say.
 
He felt so free now that Naraku is gone. All of those years searching, all of those hardships have finally come to an end today. It was a dream come true to Miroku because now he could have the one he wanted most; Sango. Ever since he had met her she had been in his thoughts and heart. He could not forget her and if she got hurt some how his heart felt like it was on fire burning his chest form the inside and out. Some how without Miroku knowing it for the longest time he had fell in love with the beautiful maiden. It caused him great pain to think about her and to be near her while knowing he could never have her. Back then Naraku was still alive and his life was in consent danger of being sucked up by the wind tunnel. So to ensure both of their heart and lives Miroku did the same to Sango that he did to every gorgeous girl he comes across; grope her. It made sure that Sango was safe in the heart at least and Miroku could touch her and remember her curves in his memory. It was the only thing he could think of if he should not be able to defeat Naraku in time. At least he had something to remember her by in the afterlife. Of course what he didn't know was that Sango was still falling for him even with that.
 
“Miroku? What are you doing?” asked Sango as Miroku tightened his hold on her waist. It made Sango feel funny but not in a bad way. No. This feeling felt good to her. Sango moved her head up to get a good look at Miroku's face only to see a few tears in his eyes. It confused Sango as to way Miroku was doing this but that confuse was swiftly erased. She felt stupid. There were a couple of reasons why Miroku would cry. Like that Naraku was gone and he could live out his life without fear of being sucked up in the wind tunnel.
 
“Sango…” he whispered her name softly making Sango blush. Miroku was making that weird feeling come back and she didn't know how to handle it. She knew how to kill demons, poisons, traps, weapons, not love and the feeling the Miroku was making her feel. Is this hoe it feels to be in love and to be loved back? Sango questioned herself about this feeling. “Sango…” he repeated her name. “Now that Naraku is gone I want to fulfill my promise to you.” he told her with love coating his voice. Sango looked back at her love in shock. She knew what he had promised her if they defeated Naraku but she had her doubts that he wasn't going to keep it. It looks as if he proved her wrong once again.
 
“You mean it Miroku?” timidly asked Sango as color flushed on her cheeks. This was still new to her. She didn't know how to this kind of thing worked. In her younger years she wasn't able to picture herself with a man because of the things that she loved doing. On man would want a wife to be stronger than them. It was a big blow to their pride. They wouldn't take her as a wife no matter how pretty she was. Now though, here she was and the love of her live was asking her if he could fulfill his promise in marrying her and having kids. To say the least Sango didn't know what to do but she decided to follow her heart and that was what she did. Miroku gave her a funny look and nodded firmly to erase any doubts that were still in her mind that he would be there for her, that he loved her.
 
“Of course I do. I wouldn't have promised it if I didn't love you. So will you help me keep my promise to you and let me have your hand in marriage? To be there when you need my, to be there when you want me, to be there to help raise out children when we have them, too be there when you need to tell me something. Will you marry me Sango?” Miroku proposed to her. Sango started to fill the sting of tears at the back of her eyes at his words. They held so much love and care that she couldn't speak. It seemed that his words left her breathless. Each time she opened her mouth her throat would constrict refusing to let the words pass from her mind to her mouth. Realizing she couldn't take Sango settled for nodding and nodded her head eagerly. Agreeing to marry him Miroku's mouth broke into a goofy grin that made him look like an idiot but to him he didn't care. The love of his life just agreed to marry him and to him that was the best thing in the world right now. So the people around them could be damned as he brought Sango close to his body and lend down inching closer to her face. The paced he set was too slow for Sango so she took it upon herself to finish the space between them in a jump. Miroku almost pulled back at the sudden motion but held firm and he lifted Sango in the air while they continues their kiss. Even after he put her down after spinning her a couple of times they still were kissing and be the looks of it they weren't going to be stopping soon.
 
00000000000000000000000
 
Sesshomaru was standing by the side lines like usual but was about to leave in silence once more. Now that Naraku was destroyed he could go back to his lands and take care of it like he should be doing. Lately he had been ignoring the Western Lands because of Naraku but now that he is go Sesshomaru could restore order back into his lands once more. That had to wait though for the scene in front of him amused him greatly. Inuyasha and his bitch along with his companions were having an intimate moment that he envied. The one he wanted wouldn't be of age for some years. The thought of the one he loved made him look over to his side. Beautiful. Sesshomaru summed up the woman he loved into one word. She was still young yet at thirteen but not too long he was going to mate her if she would have him.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru…” his loved called out to him with her still innocent voice that she had held even through the long years she had spent with him. It had amazed him that even after all of the death and blood that her young eyes see almost everyday she still held innocent around her. She wasn't that young anymore. She was the age of thirteen compared to her younger age of eight when he had first fond her dead in the woods after trying to take care of him.
 
“Yes, Rin.” he answered her with a little more softness in his voice than the colder voice he used with others. This was Rin, his soon to be mate and he wanted to show her that there was emotion and feelings underneath the mask he puts up everyday. This was something that was saved for her and only her. He would show no other his rare smiles, his happy eyes, or even the grins he gives to Rin. The only other people that would see this is his pups if they have any. Sesshomaru shook his head mentally as he was getting a head of himself. Rin hadn't even accepted his proposal to be his mate and already he was thinking about pups of his own.
 
“Where are we going now?” she asked him in innocent voice that she was able to keep through the years. Sesshomaru remained quiet but started to walk away in the direction of the West. Rin followed of course happy as ever not getting mad or sad that her Lord didn't answer her for she was use to it. That didn't really bother her though see as she knew she could trust her Lord and that he would keep her safe. After they walked a ways from the Inuyasha and the others was then that he decided to answer Rin's question.
 
“We are going home Rin.” he told her as he continued to walk to his castle in the Western Lands.