InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Real Me ❯ A New Year ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Hi. I’m Michelle. This is my first fan fic so I haven’t had any experience writing stories so please go easy on me (lol) ^^

Also, I know that there are many other fan fics out there where Kagome is the nerd and Inuyasha’s the popular one so if there is any major similarities or resemblances to your story then I apologise now. And no I haven’t stolen and I am not planning on stealing anyone else’s stories. I know you all worked hard and put a lot of time and effort into them and I would hate it if somebody stole something I wrote…

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Inuyasha (unfortunately lol). Rumiko Takahashi does.


***Chapter 1***


At the edge of a small town in Tokyo was the Higarashi Shrine. Next to it was a small but well kept cottage where two occupants lay sleeping. One was a seven-year-old boy by the name of Souta Higarashi. The other was his seventeen-year-old sister, Kagome Higarashi. Both lay in a deep sleep until an alarm clock went off. BRIIIIIIIIIIIINNNGGGGGGG!!!!

Blue eyes flew open as Kagome sat up in her bed, hands reaching out to stop the ear piercing noise. Her brother slept on, oblivious to anything going on around him. Kagome sighed and stretched, eyes darting automatically to her small window, where the curtains had come open during the night. The sun was barely up, with only the faintest traces of light in the still dark sky. Reaching over towards her desk, Kagome picked up her thick-rimmed glasses and put them on. Her unoccupied hand straightened out the stubborn knots in her raven black hair, which fell in soft curves down her back as she stood up. With swift and graceful movements, she dressed in a matter of a few seconds and tied her hair back into a tight bun, using hair clips to keep her fringe in place. Satisfied, she made her bed before leaving her tidy but rather empty room and headed downstairs to start her morning routine.

Downstairs in the kitchen, Kagome felt tears come to her eyes as she tried to stifle the yawn that kept threatening to come out. She was so tired she just wanted to crawl back under her covers and sleep for a good few hours. Then again, she had no choice. She lived alone with her younger brother, Souta who had just started grade three at the primary school down the road. They were the only ones who managed to escape from a horrific car accident years ago when she was first started high school, in which both her parents as well as her unborn baby sister were killed. Kagome sniffed, unaware that while she was lost in her thoughts, a single tear fell from her eye to run slowly down her cheek.

THUD! The sudden noise brought Kagome out of her trance. The corners of her mouth twitched as she tried not to laugh. “Souta? Did you fall out of bed again?” It was a rhetorical question, more of a statement than an actual question. She strained her ear, giggling as she heard the muffled curses of her brother. “Hurry up! Breakfast is ready”, she called out as she expertly flipped the pancake in the air, watching it turn a golden brown colour. Setting the small pile of pancakes down, she poured her brother a glass of milk before heading to the small fridge in the corner of the room to get out the golden syrup.

“Good morning Kag”, said Souta, tired but wide-awake after having his morning wake up call. “Morning”. “Ooh. Yummy! Pancakes! I love pancakes”, he exclaimed before taking a big bite out of it. “Have you eaten yet sis?” he asked, stopping to turn around and look at her. Kagome smiled. “I finished ages ago” she lied. “Oh. Ok then”, said Souta, turning back around to finish off his breakfast. As soon as his head was facing the other way, her smile disappeared. Kagome hated to lie to her brother but there just wasn’t enough money for her to eat every single meal. Dinner was the only meal she ate and even then, she tried to eat the barest minimum so her brother could have more. Her excuse was always ‘I’m not hungry. I had a big lunch’. Money was a big problem for her. She had a job, working in a small restaurant down town but even that wasn’t enough. Oh well, she thought to herself as she washed their dirty clothes, I’ll live with it.

By the time everyone else would have just started getting up, Kagome had washed all the clothes, hung them out to dry, swept the shrine and done all the other chores around the house. Finally. All done. She sighed tiredly, rubbing her sore eyes with the back of her hand. Time to go to school. Since they had a limited amount of money, Kagome always walked to and from school. She’d walk Souta down to his primary school first before taking the long and tiring walk to her high school, which was quite a while away.

By the time, she reached there, Kagome was beyond exhausted. She leaned against the brick wall surrounding her school before taking a deep breath to loosen up the muscles, which had tensed without her knowledge. Here goes nothing she thought to herself as she took slow painful steps towards the building, which had made her life a living hell…


***End of Chapter 1***


A/N: Finally finished the first chapter. Sorry it was a bit short. I promise I’ll write a longer chapter next time. So how was it guys? Please review ^^
Thanks ~ Michelle.