InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Red ❯ You Want To Do What? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: You want to do what?

Sesshomaru first entered the clearing to find two sleeping humans. How careless… Did they not know it was dangerous to let one's guard down in the middle of a demon-infested forest, especially for mere humans? Perhaps they weren't as clever as he'd once given them credit for.

Or perhaps there was more to this little scene than meets the eye…

"What do you want, Sesshomaru?" sounded a voice that seemed to have come out of nowhere.

Odd, he had not sensed another presence in the clearing. But then, with the amount of skill possessed by the owner of that voice, he hadn't expected as much.

"Merely for you to show yourself, miko."

Upon his request, the very person he'd been searching for was upon him, having ascended from the branches of the nearest tree, landing with the grace of the goddess she didn't know she was.

Indeed, she was admittedly beautiful. Even someone such as Sesshoumaru couldn't deny such an obvious fact.

In ways, she reminded him of his mother… a darker, younger version…

There was a kind and gentle light to her blue-gray eyes, yet the fire and vivacity that burned brightly with such passion for life could not go unnoticed lest you be a blind man. Her hair, hair like a raven's back, shone naturally in any light that touch the shimmering locks of ebony; despite how much he mentally kicked himself for such thoughts on a mere female, his fingers ached to confirm the theory of silky softness of those midnight tresses.

Even now, he fought with the ecstasy that came with the thoughts of her newly matured form. He hated himself, no, disgusted himself with the way he thought of how nice it would be to feel her soft curves against him, for him and only him.

Sesshomaru almost growled as he realized he was staring at her, and for quite a length of time at that. Luckily for him, she felt compelled to break the minute silence.

"You know, I do have a name. And I believe I've told you what that name was on quite a few occasions. So, I'm sure your memory isn't so bad that you can't recall it," she said in a most irritable manner. Already, his intense gaze was unnerving her, and a minute hadn't even passed. Problem was, she couldn't seem to bring herself to look away, even if he was annoying her.

"Perhaps, then, you should refresh my memory," he said, smirking for all he was worth. For some odd reason, he seemed to enjoy egging her on.

And for his actions, he was rewarded with a low growl of warning; if he hadn't controlled himself, that smirk might have gotten wider.

"You know what, I'm not even going to give you the satisfaction. You know my name and I know you do. It isn't that hard to remember."

"Quite right, Kagome, quite right, indeed." Sesshomaru almost burst into laughter at the way her eyes narrowed at his little comment; she was just so entertaining.

Kagome turned her back to him then, arms crossed as she was grumbling about something akin to pompous asses.

"I'll ask you again, Sesshomaru, what do you want? What are you doing here?

"Excellent questions that well deserve answers. Very well, I am here to offer my assistance in finding the last of the Shikon shards."

If it were possible to unhinge one's jaws, Kagome's might have been laying slack upon the ground at that very moment. Perhaps her widened eye-balls might have joined it as well. "What?"

"I do not believe I've ever heard of a deaf youkai."

She pretended as if she hadn't heard that little comment. "Why do you want to help us? What's in it for you?"

"Those shards need to be contained. They cause a problem with each youkai that acquires them, all of them trouncing into my lands to challenge me with their superficially gained power. It is pitiful, and it disgusts me to no end. I wish to put and end to the nonsense." It wasn't as if he wasn't being truthful, because he really was. The youkai infected with the corrupted shards were actually becoming a problem. And it was true that he sought a way to be rid of such a nuisance, but he didn't have to tell her that it wasn't his only reason for wanting to help.

"And you figure that you can do that by helping us. You think things'll go more quickly, is that it?"

"Indeed."

******

Elsewhere, a young kitsune was beginning to wake. A frown crossed his youthful features as he found that his previous bedding was gone.

Slightly confused, Shippou sat up to get a better look around.

He wasn't in the tree anymore, but on the ground, placed between Miroku and Sango who still lay sleeping. Shippou let his eyes roam about the area of the clearing, looking for anything suspicious or strange; it was then that he smelt it.

Just then, an all too familiar scent came to his nose, setting off the alarm bells within his head.

Sesshomaru!

Letting his gaze follow his nose, his eyes did indeed land on the one demon Lord of the West, Sesshomaru, whom seemed to be in conversation with Kagome.

Wait… What the hec was he doing talking to Kagome?

End Chapter 2

A/N: Yes, I know it was a seriously crappy ending. I should do better, I really really should. But I wanted to get this chapter out quickly so I'd have more time to work on the next one, which I promise will be longer. R/R PLEASE! I need all the advice and constructive criticism I can get.