InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Red ❯ We Begin Again ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: We Begin Again

The sun rose to it's highest, signifying the dawning of noon. It was indeed beautiful; the sun's golden rays bathed the forest in its warmth. The summer season was at its peak, all things in bloom and greenery.

Through the lush, shadowed treetops, flashes of red could be seen moving deftly through the branches with unimaginable speed.

Inuyasha was a blur to the human eye as he made his way back to the encampment, two large hares in hand.

The morning had been eventful enough, having been chosen to hunt breakfast for their little group. He hadn't minded it at first, but as he was sniffing around, he found that he'd have to move further than the immediate area to find suitable prey.

Usually, he didn't' mind the opportunity to get away for a while, it gave him some time to think on his own. But today, something was different…

Something hadn't felt right, almost ominous, as if something was about to occur. He couldn't actually tell if it were to be good or bad, he just knew whatever it was made him feel uneasy.

Involuntarily his pace quickened, barely touching the branches as he swept through the trees.

But when he was to arrive, he'd find what he would have least expected…

*****

The picture painted in the clearing was an unusual sight beheld indeed. Even the most open-minded of the time period could not quite fathom the reason for such developments to occur.

If one were to watch the events unfolding within the small encasement, they might observe the sight of two powerful youkai sitting around a small fire with two humans, all calming sipping tea while a smaller youkai perched himself upon the shoulder of one of the larger, a cup of tea within his small hands as well.

With some quick words uttered by Kagome, the little group came to be this way in discussing Sesshomaru's proposal. And it did seem reasonable, seeing as he wanted nothing in payment for his assistance.

Miroku had especially thought the idea proved sound. It added an extra sensory power to the group, as well as obvious physical abilities of the exceptional. His only objection with allying Sesshomaru to their little ensemble again would be the feud between he and his half brother, Inuyasha.

The last time, they'd almost had to tie down the hanyou in his blind rage, finding it difficult to make him see the advantage of such an alliance. It was Kagome, however who'd finally convinced him.

She'd played on his ego, which was smart considering Inuyasha's almost unwavering pride and arrogance; she told him he was acting like the pup that most labeled him to be, and told him just how stupid he looked in front of his biggest rival. Needless to say, the words had hit home, as he had effectively been shut up for a little while longer than expected. Still, it was quite evident that the hanyou was still seething.

Nevertheless, Inuyasha would be anything less than happy once he learned of Sesshomaru's intentions. Then again, he might just barrel onto the scene as soon as his brother's scent hit his nose, sword high and ready to strike without so much as a word.

Miroku wouldn't be surprised if the two beat the absolute hell out of one another before anyone got a word in edge-wise.

He sighed into his tea, letting go of such frustrating thoughts before looking up to stare into the face of the golden-eyed lord.

His face remained as impassive as ever, a mask of aloof indifference that never seemed to falter… But what was this? The demon lord's gaze of gold was almost molten, smoldering with a bright fight and intensity. The monk followed the direction of which Sesshomaru's eyes were cast, his own train of sight landing on a certain female youkai…

Miroku couldn't hide the smirk that made its way across his lips. So, this is what was behind the mask of the almighty Prince of Ice… absolutely fascinating.

He would definitely have some fun with this new development; the possibilities were practically swirling in number within his calculating mind. And of course, he could not leave the lovely Lady Sango out of his scheming, as he was sure she would also see the opportunity for Kagome-sama's possible happiness.

Yes, indeed, the next couple of days were going to extremely interesting.

"What are you grinning about, houshi?" came again that monotonous tone.

"Oh, nothing, Sesshomaru-sama, nothing at all…"

*****

Else where, or rather, close-by a certain red-cloaked hanyou stopped in his tracks, sniffing the air profusely in alarm.

The hares lying forgotten on the ground, Inusyasha shot across the remaining distance like an errant, red-streaked bolt of lightening. The closer he came the encampment, the more he seethed until he was boiling in almost unchecked rage, the drawn Tetsaiga held firmly in hand acting as his only anchor to coherent thought… That is, of course, until he actually saw what was going on when he finally broke through the foliage to the clearing.

His hated brother Sesshomaru, Lord of the Western Lands was having tea by the fire with Kagome, Miroku, Shippou, and even Sango. Indeed, it was a confusing sight…

"What in the nine hells is going on here?!" screamed a more-than-irritated half-breed, becoming angry again in his confusion.

"Why, we are having tea, dear brother. What did it look like?" There came that the sound of that annoyingly aloof voice, belonging to the one whose tone matched the ever-present expression that bordered on bordom.

"I know that, moron, I ain't stupid. Now what the hell are you doing here?!"

"I am here to save my lands, if you are so insistent upon knowing."

"What in blazes do we have to do with your stupid land?"

Before Sesshomaru could think to answer, Kagome held up her hand, impeding the coming quips and jeers on the spot. Already, they're bickering was becoming annoying, causing the beginnings of a headache to form.

"What he means, Inuyasha is that he wants to help us collect the rest of the jewel shards."

"Why the hell for? An arrogant bastard like him could care less about the Shikon shards."

Kagome sighed, trying to will the almost throbbing headache away… wondering when Inuyasha had begun to act so… clueless.

"He wouldn't under any normal circumstances, but the youkai infected with the remaining dark shards are becoming bolder in their attempts to invade his lands."

"Indeed. I find it much easier to take care of the source in the problem itself rather than pick off those pathetic weaklings as they come.

"Feh, whatever. I just think you're afraid, and you don't want to admit it."

"My fears and weaknesses are none of your concern, half breed, even as there are no such things in existence." With each of their encounters, Sesshomaru was reminded ten-fold of why he hated his brother so; he was stupid. Not only that, but Inuyasha was hopelessly incompetent in the field of negotiations and the like. At least his father had the sense in leaving the matters of their land to himself rather than his foolish half brother.

"Whatever, asshole. I could give less than a damn what you do one way or the other, just stay out of my way." Having said that, he turned with a final 'feh', and launched himself into the tree Kagome'd been resting in earlier, taking comfort in her lingering scent.

"Believe me, brother, the feeling is mutual."

And so it begins…

End Chapter 3