InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Red ❯ Interrogations And Outrage ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Interrogations and Outrage

The darkness dawning the night fell gently over Inuyasha's forest. The velvety black sky of blue blotches held a rare quality, monthly provided by nature's little cruelties or sometimes seen as blessings in disguise. The sky lay in complete blackness, save the silvery glow given by the ever present stars dusting the infinite darkness. The sparse light settled over the forest, giving to the land long-deserved peace.

But all were not at peace in the night-enveloped forest…

A certain houshi walked through the secluded grounds of the wilderness, a bit anxious but none the worse for wear . He held his usually calm, confident demeanor as he trailed through the semi-darkness, on his way to the clearing in which the Bone-Eaters well stood.

Miroku smiled to himself, thinking of the circumstances that most likely prompted this 'secret' meeting of sorts. Ah, how the mighty have fallen. And better yet, fallen prey to the unknown wiles that are known quite well by all males in the surrounding lands.

Admittedly, he was a little suspicious as to what was going to happen. True, he had his speculations of what would go on tonight, but he was still curious. After all, the being which he was to meet was one of great unpredictability. Most times, it was difficult to read anything from that cold, expressionless mask of indifference. It was possibly even more difficult to gauge responses from those crystallized, golden orbs that stared disdainfully out at the world. Yet, Miroku had a feeling that these things were about to change, but gradually mind you.

Reaching the appointed destination, the monk stood quietly awaiting the other occupant due to arrive for the little chat that would take place.

He did not have to wait long before he felt a cold flash of white-streaked wind shoot past him. He swiveled around quickly, deep brown eyes falling upon the Great Lord of The West in all his aesthetic glory.

"Monk," came that voice that could instantly induce permafrost, the frigid, golden gaze landing upon a wary Miroku, "you will tell this Sesshoumaru what he wishes to know."

Calming his fraying nerves, Miroku swept into a low bow, addressing the taiyoukai with the proper respect. "I am happy to serve, my Lord." Settling himself in an upright position once again, he let his eyes rise to meet the intense golden orbs staring down at him expectantly.

"What information might you be in need of, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

Truthfully, there was much information he wished to acquire about the young vixen who'd disappeared some amount of hours ago, but he would not ask such questions to which he'd prefer to find the answers himself. He decided to inquire of the most recent happenings, as they were just as confusing.

"Where is the wench?"

"I am sorry, I do not know of you whom you speak, my Lord. Perhaps you could be more specific?" Miroku asked, smirking inwardly when Sesshoumaru looked at him with much contempt in his gaze. Either the Great Lord was still swimming happily in de Nile, or he still did not realize how obvious his true feelings were to others or at least one as perceptive as Miroku.

"I am speaking of the lady miko, monk. Where is it she has gone?"

"If I may, my Lord, could I ask why you wish to know this?" Miroku knew he was getting on the taiyoukai's nerves even if he didn't show it.

"No, you may not, worthless monk. Answer my question, as your life-span runs shorter with each moment you delay."

"As you wish, Sesshoumaru-sama. Lady Kagome has traveled forward in time to visit her home and family," Miroku stated simply, his face the picture of calmness and tranquility without the sharp edge that tinged the white dog-demon's countenance.

Sesshoumaru growled low, the threatening rumble shallow within his chest, but held meaning nonetheless. Did the monk take him for a fool, thinking he would be believe something so fantastical? True, this fictionated story did make a little sense, as Kagome was never one who seemed to belong to this world. She was also a very powerful miko, even when she'd been human, but he did not think her powerful enough to traverse time.

"Do not lie to me, monk, or your treacherous tongue will stand as mount on my wall," Sesshoumaru threatened , flexing his claws as to emphasize his point.

"I assure you, Lord Sesshoumaru, it is no lie. Lady Kagome is from the future, and traverses the different realms with the aid of her extraordinary power, and the Shikon jewel. It would best explain her not being in the well when you looked within it's dry depths, do you not agree?"

Sesshoumaru inclined his head in an almost imperceptible gesture of understanding, his thoughts beginning to scatter elsewhere before he came to ask his next question.

"What is Kagome's relationship with the hanyou?"

Miroku stared wide eyed at the taiyoukai, momentarily stunned by the bluntness of the question. He should have known nothing less was expected from the White Lord. Shaking himself out of the temporary stupor, Miroku opened his mouth to respond, but he was interrupted by a soft, almost silent inquiry.

"Does she still love him?" (A/n: Very OOC, duncha think?)

Before he knew what he was saying, Miroku asked a question of his own. "Have you not asked this of her already, my Lord?"

Sesshoumaru's frigid gaze quickly averted to the houshi, his lips curling into a slight snarl. "What would you know of such matters monk?" he growled.

Miroku let a smirk slip and become visible upon his lips as he spoke. My, he is quite touchy this night. He's more like Inuyasha than I give him credit for. "Lady Kagome can rarely keep secrets in matters that trouble her heart, my Lord. She has mentioned your… conversation once, in an attempt to gain insight."

He could tell Sesshoumaru was mulling over this new information, but before he could reply, Miroku interjected with another question, one that he could not resist asking any longer.

"Might I inquire, my Lord, why you have not taken any other mates before now. I mean, of course Lady Kagome is the fairest of the fair, even as a human but... well you are the Lord of the West. I am sure many vixens have attempted to... grace your bed."

Though is stoic features were not graced with the rarity of expression, the white demon lord was truly mortified at having this... this human monk of insane lechery inquire about his sex life! The audacity was what not elicited the embarrassed and almost enraged growl from the great lord, but the stupid, lecherous grin that muddled the monk's face. Sesshoumaru was damn glad the humans could not see very well in the dark, seeing as how he felt the blood rising to tint his usually flawless, pale skin in a slightly heated blush.

"Leave my sight, houshi, before I do something you will regret," he growled out, letting his intense gaze bore into the insignificant human who had just partially… helped him with his little problem.

Miroku swept into a deep bow before defiantly meeting the demon lord's gaze. "I bid you good night, my Lord," he said before vacating the clearing, a huge grin upon his youthfully handsome face.

Oh yes, tomorrow was going to be an interesting day…

*****

Kagome took in a deep breath and sighed. The forest surrounding the well was always was so clean and pleasant to the senses. Having become a demon (a dog-demon at that), she was more appropriately able to appreciate the different sights and scent she could not as a human.

She sighed as she hopped off the rim of the old well and headed toward the village, a sad smile upon her face. Being a demon did have it's advantages, but there were the heart-wrenching disadvantages as well; she'd never be normal again. Granted, Kagome knew she had never been normal, having carried the Shikon jewel inside her for so long. Still, there was that loss of false normalcy. She'd never be able to be with her family as she wanted, nor the friends she had before falling into the Sengoku Jedai. Of course, she could visit them whenever she wanted, being able to hide her true appearance with the help of her ever-advancing miko abilities, but she didn't know how long she could go on living such a lie. It was true, she had not told her family of the change, but she knew she owed it to them to let them know the truth of matters. She needed to tell them before the jewel was complete because there was no certainty of what would happen when it was once again whole.

Again, Kagome sighed, looking around for the first time to realize that she'd walked farther than first thought, lost in her musings. However, before steping any further towards the village, she was halted by a deep, velvety voice…

"I see you have returned."

Slowly, Kagome turned to find the Western Lord standing behind her, expressionless and impassive as ever.

She really didn't have a response to his statement. What could she say without being rude or obnoxious? Instead she only gave a gesture, a slight nod of affirmation before walking off towards the village again. This was seriously uncharacteristic of her usual exuberance and loquaciousness, Kagome knew, but she really couldn't think of anything to say.

Yet, before she could even get two steps further ahead, there was a flash of silver past her peripheral vision and out in front. Instantly, there was a silver haired blockade in her way.

"You would dare think to dismiss this Sesshoumaru?" he asked, a little too calmly.

Ugh… so much for not being rude…

Inwardly, Kagome heaved an exasperated sigh, resisting the urge to frown at this current annoyance. Usually, such things wouldn't bother her so much, having been slightly used to Sesshoumaru's 'lordly' attitude, but today she was tired and drawn from using so much of her power to hide from her family. Having to constantly hold a spell in place for 24 hours or more could tire one out.

Nevertheless, she squared her shoulders and stood her full height, directly locking with the demon lord's not-so-frigid gaze. She walked towards him until they were a mere two feet apart, her expression slightly amused as she watched him visibly tense.

*****

The infernal wench was challenging him, staring him down as if she were his equal! To say the least, the sight was momentarily intimidating. Here was this vixen, this demon-miko of incredible strength to rival his own, standing right in front of he, the Great Demon Lord of the West with no fear or malice. When she stepped closer to him, instinctively he wanted to take a step back, but he stopped himself. He mentally cursed, however, when she noticed the sudden tension in his body. It further annoyed him that she seemed amused by his plight.

"Is there something you wanted, Sesshoumaru?

A/n: I know it's a crappy ending, but it took me a month and a half just to get this much out. I'm so sorry it's taking me so long to update and that this chapter is so short, but don't know how hectic college is. It's murder on a lazy butt like me. So please, bare with me… it'll be at least another two weeks before I can dish out another, longer chapter. Thank you all for you patience.