InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Red ❯ Mischievous Monks ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Mischievous Monks

"Houshi-sama, where did you go last night?" Sango asked, sharpening her humongous weapon on the floor of Kaede-baba's small hut.

Normally, she wouldn't inquire of the monk's business, seeing as how it always involved some woman or another. Most conversations with him were avoided unless it was of an upcoming battle. Otherwise they all ended the same, with Miroku beaten unconscious for his acts of lechery.

Last night, however, she had been worried. It gnawed at her, that urge to know why he would be out all night, only to return at an ungodly hour almost close to dawn. She didn't want to think he'd been away with one of the village girls. It wasn't as if she cared or anything… No, definitely not… Really, why should she care? It wasn't like she had any feelings for the lecherous monk… right? Right! It wasn't like she ever cared who he fooled around with, and damned is she was gonna start now! (Pfft… yeah right)

Even though the tone of the question was softly inquiring, the look on Sango's face betrayed nothing of the sort. She became red with anger, the hands sharpening the huge boomerang shaking with what seemed a building fury.

Seething and unaware of it, Sango's deep brown eyes gazed into Miroku's impatiently, waiting for an answer.

"Well?"

If Miroku thought it was safe to laugh, he would have. Instead, he settled for a bright smile; she had been worried about him last night…

What about him that had her worried was an entirely different matter, however. Judging from the scowl marring her pretty features, he could concur that she thought ill of his little nightly outing.

Seeking to allay her fears, he placed a hand over hers, giving it a gentle squeeze. "There is only you, lady Sango," he uttered softly while his lecherous hand slide slowly down her back…

*****

Outside the hut, Shippou was gathering herbs for Kaede, having nothing else to do until his surrogate mother returned. All had been pretty peaceful through out the day, or at least as peaceful as it could be in this particular village…

"HENTAI! That's not what I meant, you perverted monk!" Wham! Shippou heard the not so distant sound of Miroku being pummeled once again by the demon exterminator. Honestly, the guy never seemed to learn.

The young fox sighed and continued with his herb picking. So much for peace and quiet…

*****

Though she was all huffy on the outside, Sango was inwardly relieved that the now swirly-eyed monk had not been up to his old tricks. But of course, it wasn't as if she cared… nope, not at all…

But if he hadn't been out looking for someone to 'bear his child,' then what was he doing out so late? Again, she asked him. "Houshi-sama, where were you last night? When I awoke a few hours before dawn, you were returning to the hut. Were you in some sort of trouble?"

"No, m'lady," said the weary monk, rubbing the growing lump on the side of this aching head, "but I am flattered that you would worry for this humble monk's well-being," he said, all the while smiling sheepishly up at her.

Sango gave a rather unlady-like snort, huffing grumpily about perverted monks and their wandering hands.

Miroku stood then, his expression unreadable as he looked at the taijiya. "As to where I was, I was engaged in a very interesting conversation with out favorite youkai lord."

Sango looked a little surprised at that, wondering why the ever aristocratically snobbish taiyoukai would want to speak with the monk. And so she asked.

"In a word, Kagome," he answered simply, though it seemed to be enough to get a rise out of his exterminator friend.

"Kagome? What would he want with Kagome?"

"Why, to mate with, of course."

*****

Just as Sesshoumaru was about to reprimand the insolent wench about knowing her place, he caught sight of a small, red blurr headed straight for Kagome at breakneck speed. Instinctively, he made a move to stand in between his would-be mate and the assailant, but reluctantly haulted when his superior senses picked up the annoyingly familiar scent of the kitsune child.

"Kagome!" Shippou shouted happily, barreling straight into his surrogate mother's abdomen. He was close enough to feel the rumble of her stomach that slowly ebbed in to her chest, signifying the gentle laughter that was like sweetest music to long deafened winds.

"It's good to see you to, Shippou," she said, cuddling the kitsune cub in her arms. She began to walk towards the village, telling him about her adventures in her time and all the goodies she'd brought back for him. All the while, she completely ignored the slightly peeved demon lord, who watched their retreating backs disappear down the hill.

A/n: Okay, I know this is an extremely short chapter, but finals are coming up and it's all I could hash out. Please bare with me on this one people. College is sapping away all my creativity and it gives me nothing to work with. That could be why I'm considering doing this whole story over. I dunno, I guess I'm not as enthused about the idea of Kagome being a demon as I thought I was. Don't get me wrong, I still like this pairing, but I might change the whole situation around entirely. I would appreciate some much needed feedback and comments about what you all think. Again, thank you for the wonderful reviews, they are extremely helpful.