InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Resolution ❯ Ask a Silly Question…Get an Awesome Answer ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi All!
 
 
Here's the last (sob) chapter of `The Resolution.' The song from the last chapter was `Learning to Fall,' track number nine on `Martina,' by Martina McBride. She's one of my all-time favorite solo artists; definitely my fav female country singer (Toby Keith is my fav male; Rascal Flatts is my fav group.). You should hear her version of `Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' I saw her on her `Timeless' tour and she performed that with just her brother on guitar - wow……… Anyway, I'll let you know what song and artist this is in the ending A/N- the disclaimer will be there as well. Enjoy!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the song `Learning to Fall' by Martina McBride, which was shown in the last chapter, nor do I own the characters or original show storyline from the anime/manga Inuyasha by Takahashi Rumiko.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
The Resolution
Chapter 4: Ask a Silly Question…Get an Awesome Answer
 
 
Nearly three months had passed since Kagome and Inuyasha had told each other how they felt. They had only grown closer - if that was possible - in those months; when most of the villagers saw them out with Shippou, they considered them to be a family. A rather odd family, mind you, but a family nonetheless. Sango was nearing the end of the first trimester; both she and Miroku were very glad of that fact - they had both decided that morning sickness was an evil that deserved to be in the same category as Naraku.
 
 
Kagome was now Kaede's apprentice, honing her miko powers further and building upon the healing skills that she had learned throughout the years. Shippou, when he wasn't off playing with the village children, had in turn become her apprentice, fetching herbs and plants from the forest for her when she needed them. Kagome had to admit, the little kit caught on pretty quick. Though he wasn't quite so little anymore; he had hit a growth spurt two months ago. He grew about a foot in height and his tail was looking more sleek and smooth every day, like an adult kitsune tail. Regardless of outward changes, however, he was still Shippou on the inside - meaning he still got into fights with Inuyasha and loved to tease the inu-hanyou.
 
 
Speaking of Inuyasha, he had been rather nice lately. Just after they had confessed their love, Kagome decided to make her life in the Sengoku Jidai. The well was still open, but Kagome only returned about once a month to visit her family and to stock up on everyone's favorite treats. For the first several weeks, Kagome had stayed with Kaede. But one day, Inuyasha brought her to a newly built hut nearby. He took her inside and showed her around. Very much like Kaede's, it was well-built with a main living area and fire pit with a smaller room off to one side for sleeping, separated by a bamboo curtain.
 
 
After finishing his tiny tour, Inuyasha turned to Kagome. “You like it?” “Yes,” she had said, wondering what in the world he was doing. “It's lovely.”
 
 
“Then it's yours,” he had said.
 
 
Inuyasha had really surprised her that day; he had built that hut just for her and Shippou. When she asked him why, he said that if she was going to be staying here full time, then she should have a place of her own instead of `bugging the old hag.' Kagome and Shippou moved into the hut a few days later, only to receive another surprise. When she woke up that first morning, she found a fresh bunch of wildflowers lying beside her sleeping roll. Simple, yet beautiful, she put them in a clay vase filled with water and set them in the main living area.
 
 
Kagome was stumped as to who could have left the flowers. Miroku denied that it was him and Shippou was sleeping next her all night - she would have felt it if he had gotten up. That left…Inuyasha? Kagome asked him about them, but he just scoffed, turned on his heel, and walked away. A few days later, however, like all flowers, the bunch that was left for her soon began to wilt and die, even while in water. A week after the first bunch was left, Kagome woke up to find a fresh bunch of flowers beside her bed and the nearly dead ones gone. For the next several weeks, this pattern repeated itself; Kagome was getting annoyed that she couldn't figure out who was leaving the flowers.
 
 
One night, though, she couldn't sleep past about two in the morning. It was a chilly night - spring was officially here, but Old Man Winter had sent one last cold snap their way - so Kagome and Shippou were sleeping in the main area with a low burning fire to keep warm. Kagome lay there awake for a few hours before she saw the bamboo curtain that functioned as a door to the outside move slightly. She closed her eyes most of the way, peering out between her lashes. The curtain moved once again, opening a little more this time, then moved once again to reveal…Inuyasha.
 
 
He stepped inside, easing the curtain closed. Creeping across the room, he made his way to Kagome's side. He reached inside his haori to produce a new bunch of wildflowers. So it was him bringing the flowers all along, thought Kagome. Knowing it would embarrass him if she revealed that she had found him out, Kagome just closed her eyes and listened to him place the fresh flowers beside her bed before pulling the dead flowers out of their vase. His secret job done, Inuyasha took one last look at Kagome and left the hut. Kagome opened her eyes and reached out to touch the flowers in front of her. Smiling to herself, Kagome fell fast asleep within minutes.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
That was about three weeks ago. The flowers continued to appear every week and Kagome kept the fact that she knew it was Inuyasha secret from the hanyou, though it had been whispered to Sango at the hotsprings. Today, though, the hanyou was nowhere to be found. This puzzled everyone, for in the past three months, the longest Inuyasha had been gone from the village was for a few hours to hunt. Today, however, he wasn't at breakfast - a rare event indeed - nor did he appear for most of the day.
 
 
Finally, just after dinner, Inuyasha walked into Kaede's hut. Kagome jumped up from her spot on the floor where she was helping with the clean-up from dinner. “Where have you been?” she asked, crossing the hut to meet him. “You were gone all day!” Inuyasha just folded his arms and scoffed. “Keh. I had something to do - ya got a problem with that?” Kagome shook her head. “No. You just had me worried a bit, is all,” she said, her voice quieting. “It's been a long time since you've taken off like that….”
 
 
Past guilt rose up in Inuyasha; she was obviously talking about his departures to see Kikyou. He pushed it out of his mind, however; Kagome was his focus now, not Kikyou, and all three of them knew it. “Well, I had a good reason for it and I want to show you,” he said. He held out his hand. “Come with me?” he asked. Kagome nodded and placed her hand in his, allowing him to lead her out of the hut.
 
 
The ones remaining in the hut - Sango, Miroku, Kaede, Kirara, and Shippou - exchanged confused glances. “I wonder what that was all about,” said Miroku, thinking aloud. “I don't know,” confessed Sango. “Inuyasha went through the well early this morning,” said Shippou. All eyes turned to him. He shrugged. “I have no idea what he was doing, but I saw him go through the well this morning while I was getting some of those pre-dawn blooming flowers for Kagome,” he explained. “The weird part was that he was by himself. I don't think I've ever seen him go through the well while Kagome's on this side.”
 
 
Miroku, Sango, and Kaede exchanged significant glances. “I wonder…” said Miroku. “Do you think he really could have gathered the courage?” “What else could he have been doing through the well, though?” asked Sango. “We will just have to wait and see,” said Kaede, as patient as ever. “Only time will tell if the lad was brave enough to do so….”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Kagome followed Inuyasha until they reached a small clearing. When he stopped, Kagome finally asked the question that was bugging her. “Inuyasha, what's up?” she asked. “What are we doing here?” “Take a look around,” he said. She did…and gasped.
 
 
The clearing that had at first glance been a typical wooded clearing, actually wasn't. Now that dusk had fallen, the small candles that had been lit began to shine more brightly. By their light, Kagome could see the blanket that had been lain on the ground with a small basket next to it along with…was that a CD player?! What in the world was going on?
 
 
Inuyasha pulled Kagome over the blanket and sat down. As she sat down next to him, he reached over and press a button on the CD player. Her mouth opened to lightly scald him; after all, as far as she knew, he had never seen one of those before and therefore had absolutely no idea as to how one was operated. But she closed her mouth again when the sounds of a foreign guitar song began to emanate from the speakers of the player and a young man's deep bass voice began to sing.
 
 
Would you go with me
If we rolled down streets of fire?
Would you hold on to me
Tighter as the summer sun got higher?
If we roll from town to town
And never shut it down?
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome exclaimed, smiling. “This is one of my favorite songs! Eh, but how did you ever hear it?” The hanyou blushed. “I…uh…came to check on you one day while you were in the future. You were cleaning your room, I think, and dancing around to this song.”
 

Would you go with me
If we were lost in fields of clover?
Would we walk even closer
Until the trip was over?
And would it be okay
If I didn't know the way?
 
It was Kagome's turn to blush now. “I think I know when that was…” she said. “You saw me prancing around my room like an idiot and you still stuck with me?” She laughed. “You're an even braver man than I thought….”
 

If I gave you my hand,
Would you take it,
and make me the happiest
Man in the world?
If I told you my heart
Couldn't beat one more minute
Without you, girl,
would you accompany me
To the edge of the sea?
Let me know
If you're really a dream.
I love you so,
So would you go with me?
 
“It wasn't that bad,” said Inuyasha. “You were better than Shippou, anyway.” Kagome laughed again. “Thanks for the compliment…. Say, Inuyasha, how you get this song anyway? Or for that matter, how in the world did you learn how to use a CD player?”
 

Would you go with me
If we rode the clouds together?
Could you not look down forever
if you were lighter than a feather?
Oh, and if I set you free,
Would you go with me?
 
Inuyasha blushed again and looked down. “I needed to ask your family something and while I was there, your mom gave me a - what did she call it? Oh, yeah… - a crash course in using the player. The kid got the music - dunno from where.” “When did you talk to my family?” Kagome asked, confused. “The last time I saw them was two weeks ago and you didn't want to go with me.”
 

If I gave you my hand,
Would you take it,
and make me the happiest
Man in the world?
If I told you my heart
Couldn't beat one more minute
Without you, girl
would you accompany me
To the edge of the sea?
Help me tie up the ends of a dream
 
Inuyasha shifted a bit. “I-I went through the well this morning,” he said, watching her face carefully for any sign of a reaction. “I needed their permission for something.” “Permission?” Kagome echoed, still confused. “Inuyasha, what in the world are you talking about?”
 
 
I gotta know,
Would you go with me?
 
“That's partly why I chose this song,” said Inuyasha. “Not only do you like it, but it might help me explain myself…at least, I thought it would help, anyway.” He took a deep breath. “Kagome, I went to see your family to get their permission to ask you something - they said yes. Yes! To me, a hanyou. I mean, I know you say your family likes me and all, but this is bigger than just `liking' me….”
 
 
I love you so,
So would you go with me?
 
 
“Inuyasha, what is it?” said Kagome. “What do you want to ask me?” He raised his eyes from where they had been glued to the blanket. As the last notes of the song drifted away, he said the words that had been running through his mind again and again for the past three months….
 
 
“Kagome….”
 
 
He hesitated. He thought, he was pretty sure, but he needed to make absolutely certain that this was what she wanted. He cleared his throat and started again. “Kagome, you're happy here, with all of us, right?” he asked. “Of course I am,” she said, not hesitating for a second. “Are you happy here…with me?” he asked.
 
Kagome blinked. “Now there's a stupid question.” He cringed, waiting for the words he hated hearing, but absolutely dreaded coming from her. But she only scooter closer to him, laying her head on his shoulder. “There's nowhere else I'd rather be.”
 
 
A second later, her words had sunk in and his mind snapped back into gear. Okay, idiot, she's happy with you- she wants to be with you- so quit pussy-footin' around and ask her already! Keeping his gaze focused forward, Inuyasha opened his mouth again. “Kagome,” he said. “Do you want that to last forever?” Kagome lifted her head from his shoulder to look him in the face. “What?” she said, so low that even his demon hearing almost didn't catch it.
 
 
“I mean,” he said, turning slightly to face her. “Kagome, will you be my wife, my helpmate and lifemate? Just as I will be your husband, helpmate, and lifemate?” Kagome's hand flew to her mouth. Inuyasha's…proposing?! Oh, kami.... “Oh, Inuyasha,” she cried, tears starting to form. Evidently he could smell her tears. “Oi, Kagome! Why're you crying? I-I thought you'd be happy!”
 
 
Kagome smiled. “Oh, Inuyasha, I am happy - way beyond happy! That's why I'm crying…sometimes people cry because they are so happy that the happiness can't be contained inside them and it comes out as tears.” She launched herself at him, wrapping her arms around his trim waist. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her in turn. “Keh,” he said. “It still doesn't make any sense to me….” Kagome smiled.
 
 
Inuyasha spoke again. “You know,” he said. “You still haven't given me an answer.” Kagome smiled even broader than she had been, if that was possible. “Yes,” she said. “Yes, Inuyasha - a thousand times yes! I will be your wife and your mate.” Inuyasha smiled again as well, but that smile faltered slightly when Kagome spoke again. “Only, I want you to promise me something.” “What, Kagome?” said Inuyasha. Even if it was Kagome, past experience had taught him to discover the promise before making it.
 
 
“I want to know that you'll love me, for me, even until I die,” she said. What the hell…thought Inuyasha. “I can't promise that, Kagome.” Her face fell, and she nearly retreated out of his arms. He scrambled to reassure her. “I can't promise that, because I will love you - just you - much longer than that; for all eternity….”
 
 
Kagome's eyes watered again; Inuyasha leaned in to kiss them gently away. The kisses at her eyes lead down to her cheekbones, then to the corner of her mouth. Finally, their lips met. As they kissed, Kagome and Inuyasha knew that this is where they belonged. Here - together with each other and their friends, Miroku, Sango, Shippou, Kaede, Kirara, and all of the rest - was where they were meant to be. And while having a relationship and family here would be tough, considering all of the prejudice still thriving against youkai and hanyou alike, they would be together, forever, and that's all that mattered.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
So, tell me, whatcha think? Yeah, yeah, I know…I have a thing for wooded clearings…. I hope that flashback thing at the beginning with the hut and the flowers wasn't too confusing…it wouldn't have looked right to make it a true flashback, so….
 
 
One other thing - I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I refuse to call the modern era `Kagome's era' in my fics…unless it suits the plot line, of course. That's probably because I firmly believe that if they do get together and one stays with the other, it will be Kagome staying with Inuyasha - it's just a much better fit than Inu in the modern world…. {shudders}
 
 
Seriously though, tell me what you think, please.I personally wasn't too satisfied with the ending…but oft times a writer is her/his worst critic, so….
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
P.S. Oh, and two movie refs here: the lines `You like it?' & `Then it's yours.' are from Disney's Beauty and the Beast, again…. (that is my all-time fav movie….) And the whole `loving-til-I-die' ideais from Nest's The Swan Princess. Oh, and the song is “Would You Go With Me?” by Josh Turner. OMW…that guy is so young looking, but has such a deep bass voice…. Wow….
 
 
2ndDisclaimer: I do not own any part of the following: Disney's movie Beauty and the Beast, Nest's movie The Swan Princess, or Josh Turner's song Would You Go with Me?.