InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Shadow ❯ His Unspoken Promise ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Yay! I updated already! To my constant readers, always thank you for dropping by to read my story. To the new ones, yay! Come and join the fun! Hope you enjoy your stay and thanks for giving my story a shot!
Oh… really evil cliffy huh? Oh well, to make it up I updated early (yes, this is what I call early in my standards) for you guys! Cheers to my ever sturdy computer that never lets me down! Long live the computer I just won from a raffle!
 
Disclaimer: Let's see… Santa Claus still hasn't replied to my e-mail about having Inuyasha as my Christmas gift so… nope.
 
 
 
Chapter 11
His Unspoken Promise
 
 
 
 
`I'm a big, gullible idiot!' She said in her head repeatedly, looking at her raised right arm—more specifically on the silver metal band around her wrist. To her, her bracelet had lost its beauty. The once sparkling star-shaped blue stone that was embedded on it turned dull and worthless. And for the very first time since she had that bracelet, she felt that the metal was cold against her skin—cold and heavy. She allowed herself to drop her arm back to her side and looked at Hanako. “Hanako? Do all mikos under Solferis' protection get tracking devices?” She asked calmly, wanting to know something first before she acted.
Hanako looked down at her own tracking device before she answered. “I'm not sure. Kouga said I need to wear it so in case I get kidnapped, there is still a chance for him to track me down and save me. I'm not supposed to complain but it gets annoying sometimes because he easily knows where I am and he's always tailing me.” She turned her head to look at Kagome and asked, “Don't you agree?”
“Completely.” Kagome forced herself to smile at Hanako's question. “So your guardian told you about the bracelet being a tracking device?” She had to know. Maybe it wasn't only her and that it was actually a rule for Solferis agents to keep the truth from their charges. If that was the case, she would have understood Inuyasha—wouldn't be feeling this way. Angry, confused, betrayed and hurt.             
“Of course! I would have hit him a hundred of times if he didn't tell me about it and he'd let me wear…” The older miko stopped talking when she noticed that Kagome had her head bowed and her hands were fisted tightly, gripping her bow firmly on one hand. “You mean…?”
No. She just couldn't bring herself to answer Hanako's question. If she did, that would mean that she acknowledged Inuyasha's betrayal. She didn't want to believe it because if she did, she knew the hurt she was feeling right now would be doubled. “Oh wait! Did you know that Kikyou has her own archery fields here?” She lifted her head and put on a cheerful face.
Hanako didn't look too convinced but she decided to let Kagome win. If Kagome didn't want to discuss the matter, she wouldn't force her. That was when Kagome's words started to sink in and realization hit her as she stared at her face. “That's it! Now I remember who you look like! Kikyou!” She stepped closer to Kagome looked at her face closely. “You look pretty much like her. Are you somewhat related or something like that?”
Kagome sighed in relief mentally. A change of topic at last! She forced her previous thoughts at the back of her mind and tried to concentrate on the current conversation she was having with Hanako. “Surprising huh? We're not even related but we do look quite the same.” She walked towards the table to leave the bow and quiver she had been using to practice. There was no way she could continue practicing now. She knew she'd just end up blasting every arrow before she could even release them. Her concentration was way off at the moment.
“You do resemble her a lot. Same eyes—although your eyes are a little bigger than hers. Your hair is also shorter and a little wavy at the end but you have the same lips and shape of face. Her skin is a little paler than yours and she's a little taller than you too.” Hanako observed, watching Kagome's movements with some interest. Her attention, however, was diverted to the door when it suddenly burst open to reveal a youkai.
“Kouga!” Hanako's eyes widened at her protector's sudden appearance. “What are you doing here?”
“Yo!” Kouga greeted with a two-fingered salute, smiling smugly at Hanako with his striking azure eyes. “Came to pick you up, of course!” He walked casually towards Hanako and ran a clawed hand through his ebony hair, which was tied back into a high ponytail. “Jeez. You're taking so long! I thought your training was done an hour ago! Come on, let's go. I still need to look for a certain miko.” His eyes suddenly turned to the other person in the room—Kagome. “You must be Kagome…?” He blinked his eyes, unable to believe that she did look so much like their leader, Kikyou Hijima.
Kagome nodded silently. How did he know her name? “You know me?” She asked, looking surprised at Kouga as she walked towards the two.
“Kikyou told me to look for you,” answered Kouga lightly, his eyes suddenly becoming enlightened as the miko walked closer. There were some distinguishing features that could tell them apart. `Besides, her scent is also different from Kikyou's.' Kouga frowned when he remembered Inuyasha all of a sudden. `That bastard! He better know the difference between the two of them because if he doesn't…' His eyes looked into Kagome's eyes for a moment, his heart sympathizing with the girl looking a lot like Kikyou. `This girl is going to get hurt—one way or another.' He turned his back to Kagome and grabbed Hanako's hand, making his way towards the exit. “Kikyou said she needs to talk to you about something. She's in her office.” He looked over his shoulder and at Kagome's direction. “You know the way there, right?”
“Um…” Kagome smiled sheepishly back at Kouga. “Actually I forgot.”     
Kouga lightly touched his forehead with his palm but he was smiling. 
“Now, now, Kouga, she's just new here…” Hanako tried to help out Kagome, patting Kouga's shoulder lightly.
Kouga heaved out a sigh. “I guess we have no choice but to escort her there, right?” He turned to Kagome and smiled at her. `If that stinky dog turd dares to hurt Kagome… I'll beat the crap out of him!' He silently vowed to himself. He didn't know why he had suddenly wanted to take care of the young miko he had just met but he wanted to protect her. Maybe it was the way her eyes looked at that moment when he stared into them. Deep in her brown pools, he clearly saw a tinge of hurt and betrayal that she was trying hard to hide.
He would do anything to wipe the pain away from those eyes.
x
“You wanted to see me?” Kagome greeted with a smile as she closed the door behind her. Kouga and Hanako said they would be going already since they still had matters to attend to. Kagome didn't stop them but she didn't forget to thank the both of them for being so helpful to her. 
Kikyou nodded and gestured for Kagome to take the seat in front of her desk. “How was your practice today?” She asked as she continued to browse through some paper works.
“Fine, I guess.” Kagome replied with a sigh as she sat herself on the chair Kikyou indicated. “I was able to get it in the end—even though it's just once.” She looked at Kikyou and found herself admiring her once more. It seemed like whatever she wore looked good on her. The simple light blue blouse she wore looked stunning on her. Again, the only piece of jewelry she wore was the same wine red crystal stone necklace she saw on her last time. `Even though they say we look alike, she is much prettier and more graceful than me.' She thought to herself, looking down on her lap.
Kikyou looked satisfied enough with the answer she got from her. “Inuyasha left quickly after he got you here, am I right?” The Solferis leader questioned smoothly as she finally let go of the paper works she had been holding a while ago. She opened a drawer and took out another pile of paper works. It looked like she never ran out of paper works to juggle.
“Yeah. He said he wanted to go home and rest. Why? Do you want to talk to him about something?” Kagome raised her head to look at Kikyou curiously but found herself staring instead on the stacks of paper   that Kikyou was holding in front of her, hiding her face from Kagome's view.   
“Nothing important. I would like to ask him a few questions but that could wait tomorrow.” Kagome hear Kikyou reply calmly.
Kikyou was right. Kagome also had to wait until tomorrow if she planned to ask Inuyasha about her bracelet. There was nothing else left to do until Inuyasha returned to pick her up. “Can I use the archery fields a bit before lunch?” She asked Kikyou hesitantly, wanting to divert her mind from thinking of Inuyasha.
Kikyou dropped the paper she had been reading and looked at Kagome for a moment as if considering something. “How about we have lunch first?” Kikyou offered, clearing her table carefully. “Then we'll both go to the archery fields. I need to do some unwinding too.” She looked at Kagome and waited for her approval. `Besides, I need to think. Why do I feel like Inuyasha is avoiding me lately?' The question bothered her—much to her annoyance. 
Kagome smiled at Kikyou and nodded in agreement. Perhaps she would be able to forget after all—even just for a while.
x
“Inuyasha, do you know that you're supposed to be home right now? Relaxing on your warm bed and enjoying a free afternoon without any worries.”
Inuyasha darted his golden yellow eyes at Miroku and glared at him. “Am I spoiling your day that much, huh?” He flicked the remote control again to find a more interesting show. He got bored in watching Korean movies without subtitles. It was getting tiresome to guess what the characters were trying to say to each other.
“Someone's supposed to come over here but because you decided to bless me with your almighty presence, I am stuck with you instead!” Miroku looked at Inuyasha sulkily, taking another swig from his can of beer.
“Let me guess! Your guest is a girl?” Inuyasha was about to do the same only to find out that he had ran out of beer. “Another can, Miroku.” He ordered nonchalantly, settling for an old Chinese film where all of the characters seemed to know martial arts and there was a lot of fabric flying here and there whenever the characters jumped in the air. Much to Inuyasha's relief, there were subtitles this time.
“One thing's for sure, she's better company than you,” said Miroku with a sigh as he stood up to get another can of beer for Inuyasha. “What the heck are you doing here anyway?.! You're supposed to be watching Kagome, right?” `Or following Kikyou around.' He thought to himself but he didn't dare say that aloud in front of Inuyasha. He knew he'd be slicing something and it could be his head if he wasn't careful.
“Keh! Too bad I'm not going anywhere though—bad or good company.” He snatched the can from Miroku and opened it with a clawed finger. He took a long sip of beer then placed it on the table in front of the television. “And…”
“And?” Miroku sat back on the couch and looked at Inuyasha expectantly, waiting for him to finish his words.
“I need to have some time away from the girl.” Inuyasha took his can of beer but didn't drink it. Did he just pertain to Kagome or Kikyou? Probably both. But there was no particular reason he wanted to get away from Kagome…
“The girl, meaning Kagome?” asked Miroku uncertainly then after some pause he added cautiously, “Or Kikyou…?”
Inuyasha's grip around the can tightened. He glared at the Chinese movie he was trying to watch and pushed the off button in the remote control. “Damn it. Let's grab some food outside, I want some pizza.” He tossed the remote control and stood up quickly to head for the door.
“Pizza sounds good.” Miroku agreed, seeing that he was left with no choice. It was either agree or risk having your television shattered—not to mention your neck broken. `He never falls silent when we talk about Kagome. He only shuts up all of a sudden when…' He took a tentative glance at the hanyou and found him deep in thought, not noticing Miroku's scrutinizing eyes on him. `…it's Kikyou.'     
x
It was useless. Kagome knew there was no way she could sleep that night. Lying on her side, she brought her right arm in front of her face and stared at the silver metal around her wrist. It was dark in her room but she could make out the shape of the bracelet even without the moon's help. It wasn't like the moon could be of any help anyway. Her eyes went to the direction of her room's tall glass windows and only spotted a thin, curved white line—the only visible sign that the moon was still there. `I bet it's going to be a new moon tomorrow night.' She thought, returning her eyes on her bracelet.
Kagome felt her lips curling into a smile—a bitter smile. Again, she felt so stupid. She ran after a piece of jewelry that meant nothing to Inuyasha. She cherished something that existed only to her. She believed too much in Inuyasha.
Why didn't he just tell the truth? Why did he need to hide the truth from her? Didn't he think that she would get hurt if he hid the truth? Didn't he care if she did get hurt? Questions that only Inuyasha could answer bugged Kagome's head over and over again. She really needed to have a talk with him. Unless she got the answers she needed from him, she wouldn't be able to move on. That was for sure.
`Until now, is it still only duty that binds us together?' She asked in her mind, feeling her eyes burning with unshed tears. But she would not let even a single drop fall. Inuyasha would never be a worthy reason for her to cry.
Kagome felt her eyes grow heavy all of a sudden. All the thinking she had been doing made her very tired and she willingly gave herself to the clutches of sleep. As she closed her eyes, a tear escaped and trickled down her face.
It was silly to cry because of Inuyasha, Kagome knew that. He was not worthy of her tears—even a single tear—yet she was only human. When the human heart had had enough, it would eventually shatter—no matter how hard you try to stop it. She realized that instant that she needed to cry—even just a single tear. So when morning came, she would be able to face Inuyasha bravely and…
`Bite his head off.' Kagome thought sleepily as she fell into sleep's grasp at last.
x
“Jeez, that was the longest and worst miko lesson I ever had.” Kagome stated grimly as she walked along one of the magnificent corridors at Kikyou's mansion towards who knows where. Sure, it was just her third lesson but she knew she had screwed it up very very much. She didn't manage to shoot a single arrow. All of the arrows that she had loaded on her bow were destroyed even before she had time to stretch the string some more.
She hung her head low, sighing in depression as she remembered her last training. `I bet teacher is really disappointed with me.' She thought with another sigh, looking up to see where her feet had taken her. She was still in the second floor. She had three options, go downstairs, go upstairs or go straight to her room and rest. She preferred the last option since she didn't know much of the mansion anyway and wasn't that keen on touring around right now. She wanted to lie down even just for a while before she went back home. She was tired and she wanted to have a warm, comforting bath.   
`Or I could try the indoor swimming pool—although I don't exactly remember where in the first floor that one is. Or I can—INUYASHA?.!' Her brown orbs widened at the sight of a white-haired boy with a familiar red jacket she recognized as Inuyasha's pacing towards her direction. `INUYASHA?.?.?' She blinked her eyes, unable to believe that it was really him walking up to her. When she did, he was gone. She looked around and searched for him but he was nowhere to be found. The corridor was empty except for her.
Kagome tucked a loose strand of hair behind her left ear and heaved out a sigh. `Now I'm seeing things.' She resumed pacing and decided that she really needed to have that bath. She turned her face towards the window across the hall and paused to stare at the sun. It was still bright but she knew it wouldn't be long before it started its descent. That only meant that it wasn't going to be long before Inuyasha arrived. She would finally see him—and ask him about her bracelet.                     
`Just a little more waiting…'
She turned to head for her room only to find herself staring into curious golden yellow eyes—familiar golden yellow eyes.
“Inuyasha…?” His name escaped her lips in a soft, questioning way. She batted her eyelids once and looked confused when she still found him staring down at her. It was a surprise her personal space invasion alert wasn't going berserk with the current distance Inuyasha had put between them—which was pretty pretty small in her opinion. 
“You don't look exactly happy to see me.” Inuyasha commented as he stepped back, wearing a frown. Something in Kagome's eyes told him that something was wrong. A part of him was curious to know what exactly that thing was.   
“You don't look happy to see me either,” stated Kagome edgily, narrowing her eyes at him.
“Fair enough.” Inuyasha replied nonchalantly then he turned his back to Kagome and walked away. “Get ready. We'll leave after I talk to Kikyou.” He added without looking back at her. `Even though I'm trying to avoid her, I can't help but see her since I am working for her…' He let out a soft sigh and looked at the sun. It was already late in the afternoon. He cursed under his breath and walked faster. `Damn it. All this thinking is making me move slower. I'm going to be late if I don't hurry up.' His thoughts were disrupted when he heard someone call his name. He stopped and looked over his shoulder, looking expectantly at Kagome.
“We need to talk.” Kagome's eyes looked seriously into Inuyasha's eyes as she spoke.
Inuyasha could clearly see that she wanted a serious talk. By the look in her eyes, it was going to be a long one too. He could grant her request but it had to be later—when they got home. After all, he also needed to tell her something later. `I'm stuck with her so she'll see me anyway.' He chanced another fleeting look at the window and mouthed two words before he went on his way. “Later, Kagome.”
“But—”
“Later.” Inuyasha repeated before he disappeared around the corner.
Kagome groaned in frustration. Why was it that he always got what he wanted?.! She balled her fists and stomped her way to her room, planning to bathe a very long time to make Inuyasha wait. `Later then.' She thought in irritation as the door of her room came into view.
Kikyou's eyes widened for a brief instant at the sight of Inuyasha at her door then she smiled a little. “You came huh…” She looked back at the paper she had been writing on. “I thought you would leave again without reporting to me.” She didn't need to lift her head to know that Inuyasha had walked forward and was now standing in front of her desk.
“I was in a hurry yesterday.” Inuyasha reasoned out, avoiding Kikyou's gaze even though he knew that her eyes weren't actually looking at him.
Kikyou didn't say anything for a while and she only continued writing.   
Inuyasha was getting uncomfortable with the silence between the two of them. Sure he and Kikyou fell silent once in a while but the current hush between them was different. It was unsettling—almost like nagging him.
Her speechlessness at that time made him feel guilty. It was like she was quietly asking him why he had been avoiding her. It was a good thing she didn't ask him verbally because if she did, he didn't know what answer he would give her. He needed space? Space from what? He needed to settle his feelings? Settle what feelings? He needed to forget her? Why? Because it would be better? Better for who? Him? Her? The longer he thought about it, the more questions arose in his head—questions that he didn't know how to answer as well.
He hated questions that were unanswerable so to escape them he broke the silence. “There is not much to report. No suspicious vehicles tailing us on our way here yesterday.” He paused, giving Kikyou some time to ask questions but she remained quiet. “It's dangerous today so we'll be leaving now.” He turned on his heels and headed for the door. He knew Kikyou understood his words well.
Just as Inuyasha's hand made contact with the doorknob, he heard Kikyou's soft voice say, “Don't push yourself too much today, Inuyasha.” She failed to hide the concern and worry in her voice.
A small smile tugged on Inuyasha's lips but when he turned to look back at Kikyou, it was already a haughty smirk. “Don't worry. Hanyou or not, I'm still one of the top agents of Solferis.” He turned the knob and pulled the door open. 
Before Inuyasha could step out of Kikyou's office, she spoke again. “Call for backup when you need one.” She looked firmly at Inuyasha as she spoke. She knew Inuyasha's strength and abilities very well. Even without his hanyou strength and senses, he could still do his job well but she wanted to be extra cautious about this. She trusted Inuyasha but in their situation, there was always a possibility that they could be in danger and she didn't want to endanger Kagome and Inuyasha's lives. Inuyasha's life was going to be in as much danger as Kagome's if they encountered Hell's Gate today—or rather tonight. 
“Yeah, I know. I'm not that proud to screw up my job. I'll call Miroku.” Inuyasha told her with another smirk and then left. `I never failed on any duty assigned to me. I won't fail this one.' He didn't plan to. He didn't want to.
“Don't push yourself too much today, Inuyasha.”
He smiled to himself as he tracked down Kagome's scent.
x
Inuyasha stopped in front of Kagome's door and held the knob instantly, ready to turn it. But he suddenly caught himself during the last second and lifted his clawed hand from the doorknob. Instead, he closed his hand and rapped it against Kagome's door twice. “Kagome, we're going.”
No answer came.
Was it possible that she wasn't there? Her scent trail had led him here—but of course her room was supposed to smell like her. Only one way to find out then… He returned his hand on the doorknob. He actually acted nice that time that he knocked and she was not there? `It's her loss not mine.' Inuyasha shrugged mentally and opened the door.
Inuyasha didn't spot Kagome inside the room. She was not sleeping in the bed, she was not sitting on the chair and she was—
“That insensitive bastard!”
In the bathroom.
Inuyasha's eyes quickly went to the bathroom's direction.
“One of these days, I'll really purify him!”
Inuyasha couldn't help the grin that graced his face. `Yup. Definitely Kagome.' Remembering that he didn't have much time left to dally, he walked closer to the bathroom but didn't make any gesture to touch the door—all the more open it. He wasn't like Miroku.
“Oi, come out already!” He called out, grumbling mentally about women's inexplicable addiction to very long baths.
“Inuyasha?” came Kagome's surprised reply. How come she didn't hear him enter her room? `Must be too engrossed in my thoughts.' She thought but didn't make any move to stand up and leave the bathtub.
“Come out. I'm in a hurry.” The miko heard the hanyou say, quickly noticing the irritation by the tone of his voice. Too bad she planned to annoy him some more.
`And now he's in a hurry?.!' Kagome shot a glare at the bathroom's door, knowing that Inuyasha was standing in front of it that very instant. “But I'm not yet done.” She said in her sweetest and most innocent voice as a smirk spread across her lips. `This is payback for saying `later'—twice!' 
Inuyasha resisted the urge to claw the door that stood in front of him. Of all the chances, Kagome chose to play with him at a time like this. She was slowly but effectively getting on his nerves. “Finish it now. We have to leave!” He barked commandingly. He told himself that if she wasn't going out within five counts, he was going to tear the blasted door apart and haul her out himself—finished or not.
Meaning naked or not—even if she screamed her ass out.  
“We do?” Kagome ignored the tone of his voice and continued to enjoy soaking—not to mention vexing a certain hanyou.
One.
“Kagome!” This was getting more and more frustrating. Why again did he have to be stuck with such an inconsiderate, annoying bitch like her?
“Yes?” This was getting more and more fun!
Two.
“Just fucking get out of there! NOW!” His claws were tensing. He could feel the wood under his claws. The sound of wood splintering was overwhelming his ears. Inuyasha badly wanted to destroy something.
“As in now?” She was looking intently at the plug now. Should she pull it now? Another smirk lit her face as she thought of Inuyasha. `Later.'
Three.
“Yes, now.” Wow! Inuyasha couldn't believe it! He could be this patient? That was new…  
“What if I don't want to?” Kagome had an idea of what would happen but just for the fun of asking she asked him. After all, that meant more time for her to stay in the tub.
Four.
“You want to know?” His voice was promising trouble as he readied his claws for the job at hand. Just one more and the cursed door would be smithereens.
Kagome sighed in surrender. That was the end of their game. “I think not.” She got out of the bathtub and pulled the plug. Now, to dry herself.
`At fucking last!' He sighed in relief as the sound of water going down the drain reached his ears. “Hurry up! We need to get home before sundown.” He looked at the window of Kagome's room and relaxed. They could still make it in time—with about half an hour to spare.
`Why is he so eager to go home?' She wondered in her mind as she put her clothes on.
“Aren't you done yet?” Inuyasha tapped his foot impatiently.
She adjusted her shirt a little then checked herself on the mirror. Satisfied with her look, she got the hair drier from one of the drawers, plugged it and started drying her hair in front of the mirror. “Just a few more—Inuyasha!” She glowered at the hanyou's reflection on the mirror.
Inuyasha was standing inside the bathroom, looking exasperated with Kagome's antics. “Stop griping! You're not naked, okay?.!” He made sure of that before he barged in—well not completely sure but there was the faint sound of clothes rustling. And if he was mistaken… Oops?
Kagome still didn't look reassured but she continued to dry her wet hair. “The door was closed for a reason. I'm not yet done!” She decided to ignore him but Inuyasha wouldn't let her.
The hanyou yanked the hair blower away from Kagome and unplugged it. “Of course you are.” He told her, looking at her with authority. He grabbed her hand and began pulling her—like he always did.
Kagome was left with no choice but follow him. Before she was completely dragged out of her room, she managed to get her backpack and shot a pissed off look at the hanyou as they headed for the stairs. “One of these days I'll really—”
“Purify me. Yeah, I know.” Inuyasha cut in, releasing her hand from his grip and throwing a smirk over his shoulder. “Come on, little miko.”
“Fine, jerk.” Kagome pushed her lower lip forward as she followed Inuyasha down the stairs.
Kagome had completely forgotten that she had wanted to talk to Inuyasha. It wasn't until she took the helmet that Inuyasha was holding out to her that she remembered, seeing the metal band on her wrist. She held the helmet securely then looked at Inuyasha seriously. “Inuyasha, we need to talk.”
“Later,” said Inuyasha as he swung his leg over the motorcycle's black seat and sat himself. “Hop on. We'll talk when we reach your house.” He added as he retrieved the key from his pocket and placed it in the keyhole. He could see that Kagome wanted that talk—whatever it was about—badly. “I also want to talk to you about something.”
“Then why not talk now?” Kagome didn't understand Inuyasha's purpose for delaying their talk so many times. `He also said he wanted to tell me something, right?' She had done more than enough waiting. She had to know the truth now.
Not later.
“Tell me. Is it true that this bracelet's a tracking device?” Her chocolate brown eyes didn't leave Inuyasha's eyes as she waited for his answer. The way his eyes widened for a while was enough answer for her. He was guilty.
“How did you—”
“Why didn't you tell me about it?” She interrupted, her anger stirring once more. After all of the things they had been through. He still didn't trust her? “Why did you have to do that?.!” The hurt was reflected in her eyes as the words escaped her lips.  
“Do what?” Inuyasha shifted his eyes and looked at the side, unable to bear the sight of Kagome's hurt-filled eyes. Guilt was slowly surfacing and he had no means to stop it. 
“Make it appear like it was something else.” Kagome clenched her fists, feeling her heart tighten painfully inside her chest. `Make me believe that you actually wanted me as a friend.' She really thought it was possible but she had been expecting too much. Now she had to suffer the consequences. 
Inuyasha turned his face to look into Kagome's eyes. “I did that to protect you.”  It was the truth. He wanted to protect her but maybe he was wrong to do that? Maybe he was not protecting her when he hid the truth from her? 
“To protect me?.!” There was a hint of mocking laugh in her voice. `You hurt me!' She wanted to throw at him but instead the words that went out were, “How will that protect me?.!”
He could sense that Kagome was very angry with him but he needed to get them home. That was his priority at the moment. “Kagome, we really need to go. Can't we just finish this later?” He made a move to grab her hand but she stepped back to avoid his hand.
“I'm not going anywhere until you tell me.” She was determined to hear all of Inuyasha's explanation. That was her priority.
Inuyasha growled inwardly but decided to follow Kagome's demands. He didn't have time to argue with her anymore. “I didn't tell you because I knew you'd take it off right away! You're stubborn and you don't want the fact that I'm following you around. What more if you knew that I could track you down wherever you went!” He looked at her directly while he spoke. Throughout his speech, he saw her eyes spark with intensified anger but he didn't dare pause. She wanted the truth so he was going to give her the truth—to finish this and move on. “Now get on the motorcycle, Kagome!” He added when Kagome didn't speak for a while.
To Inuyasha's surprise, she quietly did as she was told—with her head hanging low and her bangs covering her eyes. Now that she was seated behind Inuyasha, she showed the bracelet to him and said monotonously, “I know the truth now. Did I take the bracelet off?” She waited for a few seconds then she withdrew her arm and looked down at her helmet, her eyes looked tired and gloomy. Her anger seemed to dissipate, only traces remained in her eyes. “Please don't act like you know me.” She said softly like a tired murmur. “Don't try to talk to me for a while.” Then she put her helmet on.
Inuyasha didn't plan to. He hated to admit it—and wouldn't dare say it to her—but she was right. He did act like he knew her and he felt angry with himself for doing so. He despised people who acted like they knew him when they apparently didn't know anything and then he found himself to be like one of them? He started the engine and they were off.
Inuyasha realized that she was right about one more thing. He really didn't know her. He thought by now he knew some things about her but he was proven wrong. What did he really know about her? Did he really know anything about her? `So what if I don't know anything about her?.! I don't WANT to know anything about her anyway!' He thought angrily, throwing his thoughts away. He had more important things to think about. Now that their extra time was gone, they needed to hurry. If Hell's Gate chose to ambush them that day…  
It wasn't that he couldn't protect her. Of course he could but there was still a doubt—although he wouldn't say it aloud—that he could fail. It was a doubt that he never even spent a second of thought when he was hanyou. But whenever he turned human, it was a thought that would always bother him. `But even as a human, my reflexes are not ordinary. I mustn't worry too much.' He thought as they sped farther and farther away from Kikyou's mansion.
Inuyasha looked at the sun's direction. It was beginning to descend slowly to the horizon. It looked like they could make it in time but Inuyasha wanted to take extra precautions. He pulled out the earpiece that was currently connected to his phone, took his phone out from his pocket and pressed the speed dial for Miroku's number.
“Miroku, we got delayed. If ever we get into trouble, be ready for backup when I call you.” Inuyasha instructed as his eyes kept focused on the winding road.
“Got it,” said Miroku compliantly on the other side of the line. “Hm… I wonder if you were this careful with your previous charge…” He teased and sounded amused at the same time.
“Didn't have time to be careful with her. The father was too careful, remember?” Inuyasha frowned as he remembered his previous charge's father. He dismissed the thought and returned to Miroku. “Hopefully, I won't call you later. Bye.” He increased their speed, glancing at the side mirror to see if he could chance a look at Kagome—that was to see what she was doing. 
Kagome wasn't doing anything—except for breathing and staring at the road ahead of them. What was she supposed to do anyway? She was sitting at the back of a moving motorcycle. She wanted to ask Inuyasha why he had told Miroku to prepare backup. Were they in some kind of trouble? `Inuyasha said we were delayed. Delayed because we talked?' That meant it was her fault, right? She wanted to ask him but she didn't have the guts to break the ice between them—not after their talk. They needed some silence—or maybe she needed some silence to think.
Finally, they reached the city road. They had finished half of their journey. Inuyasha raised his guard. Any moment now, he would be turning human. He didn't know exactly how much time he had left since the tall buildings on both sides of the road were blocking his view. He could already imagine the reaction on Kagome's face when she saw Inuyasha's hair turning black like hers. `I bet she'll freak out.' He smirked at the thought but the smirk didn't last long when he remembered that they were still in a middle of an argument. `Damn, why do we always pick up a fight anyway?'
Bang!
“What the—?.!” Inuyasha looked at his side mirror to see a red car behind them and someone was peeking from its window—with a gun.
“Inuyasha!” Kagome was also looking behind them and knew at once that Hell's Gate had found them. She tightened her hold on Inuyasha's waist.
His motorcycle began to shake. “Shit.” The bullet had punctured the rear wheel. He quickly maneuvered it to the side, managing to turn around a narrow corner before it finally pulled to a stop. They had no choice but to run on foot from there. At least the car wouldn't be able to fit so those kidnappers had to run on foot too. He hurriedly took Kagome's hand and began running. As he ran, he fumbled for his mobile phone and called Miroku. “Ambush!” That was all he said then he hung up.
That was when Inuyasha felt his heart skip a beat.
`Damn it. Not now!' He thought as he continued to run, his hand firmly grasping Kagome's making sure she wasn't falling behind. But he had no choice, he was turning human as he ran.
“Whoa!” Kagome suddenly halted, staring at Inuyasha in horror. “What happened to you?.!” She looked at him from head to foot but quickly returned her gaze at his face. She noticed that his dog ears and fangs were gone, his eyes were now grayish black—and to her utter surprise, his hair had turned black!
Inuyasha smacked his clawless hand against his forehead and rolled his eyes. Just as he thought, she had freaked out. He swiftly took Kagome's hand once more and said without a pause or whatsoever, “I turned human. Long story, I'll tell you when we get out of here. Now, let's run.” He pulled his gun from the back of his pants and started to run again, leaving Kagome no choice but do the same.
Kagome knew it was no time indeed to argue—not even talk—so she only nodded and continued running as well. However, as she ran, she couldn't help but look at Inuyasha with wonder. `What is going on?.!'
Inuyasha turned around another corner. He wasn't sure if they had managed to follow them because he couldn't hear them. His hearing ability had declined because he was human now. He continued to run though, seeing that they were nearing another main road. Maybe he could get another motorcycle there or a cab or anything that had wheels.
“Inuyasha?”
He turned to look back at Kagome while he ran. “Hm?”
She held Inuyasha's hand a little tighter as if afraid that he would suddenly let go and leave her behind. “We can get out of here alive, right?”
Inuyasha's eyes softened at the way Kagome looked at him. She looked really scared and her only hope of surviving lay on his hands. He smiled a little. “Don't worry, we will.” He told her, hoping that it would reassure her. Actually, he had been doubting already but when he saw Kagome's eyes, he realized that he wasn't supposed to doubt. Kagome was doubting enough for both of them. It was his role to be strong for both of them. `I promise.'
As they stepped out to the main road, his eyes quickly searched for a possible escape vehicle. Across the road, there was a man chatting on the phone while he sat on his motorcycle. `Perfect.' He pulled Kagome after him and prepared to cross the road.
But before they could cross, there was a loud screeching sound and the red car was speeding towards them. Inuyasha hastily turned around and was about to run back to the alley they had come from.
Bang!
“No!.!.!”
Inuyasha's eyes widened at the sight of two men standing in front of them, coming from the path they just took a while ago. Then he was lying on the ground due to the impact of the gun's blow. He could feel the bullet piercing through his left shoulder, blood gradually oozing from the wound. Pain engulfed his whole body and he could feel his consciousness slipping.
“Inuyasha!”
But he held tight to his consciousness when he heard Kagome scream and he felt Kagome's hand being torn away from his grasp. He wasn't supposed to be lying on the floor when Kagome was being dragged away. He gripped his gun and gathered his strength to stand up again only to be pushed back effectively by a foot kicked on his head, making his cheek touch the cold floor. “Oh no you don't!” The foot pressed even harder, rubbing Inuyasha's cheek on the floor and making him growl in anger.
The red car screeched into a stop in front of them and the door burst open. Inuyasha couldn't see what they had done to Kagome but when he heard her gasp in pain, he knew that they had hit her and that angered him even more.
“Hurry!” A gruff voice coming from inside the car said hastily.
The foot against his head was gone and the car door immediately closed. Inuyasha wasted no time to get to his feet and raised his gun to try and shoot the car but it was too late. There was no way that he was going to hit them and he could even hit a civilian.
Inuyasha held his handgun tighter as he crossed the road. He couldn't feel the pain from his wound. He couldn't hear the angry protest of the owner of the motorcycle he just grabbed. His mind was set only on one thing as he sped across the road in full speed.
He promised Kagome and he had to keep that promise.
 
 
 
 
 
 
          &n bsp;  
 
A/N: Ooops. My evil twin possessed me so… Well at least I've updated, right? Um….right? Review and tell me that I'm right, okay?
P. S. Don't plan to kill me yet. Or you won't get the next chapter. On the lighter side, I was wondering how Inuyasha manages to use a flip top cell phone. You see, his ear is on top of his head… But I think he doesn't really need to have the speaker over his ear to hear it since he is hanyou. But I had a laugh when I imagined Inuyasha using the phone—I don't know why...