InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul of a Hanyou ❯ Hidden Scroll of the Sacred Tree ( Chapter 31 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 31-Hidden Scroll of the Sacred Tree
It was only noon when Inuyasha and the others returned home to Japan. Something on Miroku's mind was upsetting him and he had to ask something about it.
Miroku- Inuyasha if Kayoko didn't come to see you before, why would she return to visit you now?
Inuyasha-I don't really know, but she told me about a dream that she had last night. She said that it was of someone chasing her, someone who knew when she turned completely mortal.
Kagome-Do you think it could be Naraku?
Cumi arrived on the ground with a soft landing, and once everyone was off the cloud quickly reverted back into a smaller version of itself and fly away.
Shippo-Where's Cumi going?
Kagome-Remember Kayoko said that she'd have Cumi bring us home then immediately return to her.
Sango-Anyway, it could be Naraku that's chasing Kayoko, don't you think?
Inuyasha looked down as Kagome called his name twice, hoping that he'd answer. The hanyou began saying the lyrics to Kayoko's song.
Inuyasha- Here to catch you when you fall,
Here to comfort you when you cry,
Here to push you to exceed your limits,
And succeed in life.
Her arrow can't hit you, because you're free,
But only if you'll look inside your tree
I'll be here,
Never fear,
I'm not goin anywhere else,
I'm not helpin anyone else.
I'll stay near,
I'll be here,
Forever,
In your endeavors…
With you.
It hit him, Inuyasha began running as fast as he could through the forest as his friends started calling out to him. So they decided to all jump on Kilala's back and follow him. They soon caught up to him and figured out that he was headed towards the Sacred Tree. Inuyasha stopped right in front of the tree as Kilala landed and Kagome ran over to him. The dog hanyou was circling the tree looking carefully at its bark.
Kagome-Inuyasha what are you doing?
Inuyasha-Looking for a cut in the tree's bark, one big enough to fit something inside.
While Inuyasha was frantically looking at the other side of the tree, Kagome sat down and noticed something. The grass was somewhat parted at the base of the tree. She figured that something had stopped it from growing. Kagome parted the grass and pulled something out, it looked like a scroll.
Kagome-Inuyasha, I found something!
Inuyasha ran over and Kagome handed the scroll over to Inuyasha. He unfolded it as his eyes scanned the scroll's secrets. Inuyasha began reading it to himself as he realized that it was Kayoko's handwriting.
 
Dear Inuyasha,
I knew that you'd find this scroll one day. I'm pleased to find that you figured out my clues. I'm sure that you already know that I'm Kayoko. Today, which is the day in which I wrote this (or am writing) is exactly one day after Kikyo sealed you to the Sacred Tree. I beg you to believe me when I say that I couldn't return to you after I'd left, or even stayed with you anyway. The truth is that I couldn't control my demonic nature, and was afraid that I would kill you. So I sought out the help of the wolves, but remember you're reading this about fifty years afterwards and magics back then were not always as strong, so it took a while.
Once the ritual was complete I could return to you, unfortunately you'd fallen in love with Kikyo already, and I watched you two for days planning to talk to you about her. Inuyasha I didn't know that Kikyo was going to seal you to the Sacred Tree, I was hoping that you'd leave her. Hope…it's a funny thing, for it doesn't always give you what you want the most.
I plan to watch you forever Inuyasha, until the day that a girl is supposed to come and set you free. The Keepers tell me these things, I tell them that I want to be the one to set you free, they say no. I must obey them Inuyasha; otherwise your life could be in danger. You are the most important thing to me right now. Your being sealed to the tree is not just a curse, but a confirmation that I'm supposed to protect you Inuyasha. I only hope that you can forgive me. If you do not I do understand, hope to me isn't always what it seems. If you wish that I be gone from your life then wish so and your eyes shall never see the likes of me again.
Understand one thing though Inuyasha, that I will protect you at any costs. That I will love you until my immortality runs out, until…it's a word with a limit, but my love for you shall have no limit. If you wish me not to love you, all you can simply hope for is that I then only treat you as a brother. Please, if you do not keep this scroll, please return it to myself so that I may know that you have both found and read it. Remember one last thing Inuyasha…to keep your promise.
Love,
Kayoko
Inuyasha was stunned in silence; he hadn't read the letter aloud and was confusing Kagome and the others. He now knew that Kayoko had always planned to make him keep his promise, all he had to do was figure out what that promise was and keep it.