InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Thought Keeper ❯ She Cares ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anyone from InuYasha, m'kay? If I did, Inu and Kag would be at it like bunnies…and Miroku would…never mind…JUST READ ON!!!!!

Author's Notes: M'kay…well, I came up with this idea because of a show I watch (Dead Like Me on Showtime…check it out!!!!!). There was this whole episode about death…well…the whole series is about death (in a funny way)…but this one episode was all about people's final thought before they die (like George [the main character]…she was 19 when she died, right? `How did it happen' you say? She was on her way to work when she heard people screaming, "Look out!" [etc]…when she turned around and was hit by a toilet seat that fell from the space station [going, like, 10 million mph!]…Well, just seconds before she was hit, she walked by some construction dudes, and one brushed her shoulder…[he is a reaper…they `save' people's souls so they aren't trapped inside the dead body]…well, because he saved her, she got to watch herself get hit by the frickin' toilet seat…[what a way to die, huh?]…She then became a reaper, and [on her day off reaping] had to file paper work of all the people who have died [in her area] within the last couple years…and they had to be sorted by the person's final thought! [By the way…Georges' thought was "Oh Shit!" NO ONE sees their life flash before their eyes!!!!!]…) Did you catch all of that? Sorry if you didn't…but…MOVING ON!!!!! Be sure to Read and Review!!!!!

The Thought Keeper

~Chapter One~

Jinenji was not the most beautiful person in the school. Actually, he was far from it. Standing six foot, ten inches tall, many girls would beg at a man's feet…they once used to…but it was not Jinenji's height that kept the girls from hanging on him, it was his looks. No one is really sure whether it is his prominent nose, or his large eyes that were a little too far apart, or the scars covering his face. Could it be his left leg, which is slightly shorter than his right; just short enough to notice?

In fact, it was all of these things. It was because of this that Jinesi just stood out at school. Teachers would always sit him in the back of the room so that the rest of the class could easily see the board. He would purposely sit in the darkest corner of the lunchroom to keep to himself and try so hard not to be made fun of.

That is all that the guys in the school would do. First they would get his attention by calling him, trying to get Jinenji's hopes up, and telling him to come near them. Next, they would ask a dumb question like, "why did the chicken cross the road?" to get an answer out of him. Then, they would give the answer…"cause he was running away from Jinenji!"…Which would, generally, make the girlfriend giggle, and then tell her boyfriend that he's "so funny…and smart…and ho…"-but by the time she would begin to say `hot', they were making out.

There was one girl, however, that would not laugh…that would actually hit her boyfriend before he cracked the joke…Kagome. She didn't think that making fun of those that are different made on macho. She believed that it was a sign of weakness.

Everything about Kagome was perfect. She had the perfect black hair that was just the perfect length…her perfect cerulean eyes had just the perfect amount of shimmer when she looked at Jinesi and said, "Sorry about him! He's just and ass!" She wasn't too short, nor was she too tall, or too fat, or too skinny, she was just…beautiful…exemplary in Jinenji's eyes.

But before Jinesi ever had the chance to thank Kagome, InuYasha would ask why he was staring, and Jinenji would end up walking away embarrassed, most likely not notice someone behind him and knock him or her over.

This was just the daily routine in Jinenji's life. But this life did not bother him; it was merely his second chance.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Jinenji! Jinenji, wait up!" cried a black haired girl, chasing after him.

He just kept walking away. There was no point in acknowledging her. She's just chasing after to try and redeem her boyfriend.

"Jinenji!" yelled the girl as she passed him, panting for breath. She turned around to stop him and talk with him. "Please, just listen to me?"

Jinenji stopped and looked at Kagome. She was wearing white Capri's, a black v-neck shirt with `Devil' written across in glittery-red screen-print. She was carrying a few notebooks, and her bright red flip-flops, which were impossible to run in.

"Kagome, you don't have to apologize for InuYasha," Jinenji assured her, "he was only trying to impress you."

"But still, Jinenji! Someone shouldn't need to make fun of others just to act, or be, or look cool!"

Jinenji just stood there, looking at Kagome. She had a look of anguish on her face. He looked up, and saw so many happy people walking around the campus. A group of Drama kids were sitting under a tree, reciting lines from various works of Shakespeare. Some of the football team was sitting at a picnic table, making up new plays for the upcoming Homecoming game. The Student Government was meeting in a shaded corner planning the festivities for the next week. All about there was much laughter and enjoyment of time together. Jinenji took another glance at Kagome, tears beginning to form in his big azure eyes.

"I've seen your face when they treat you like nothing, Jinenji. I have seen the pain in your eyes," Kagome took a step closer to him, as if she was telling a secret, "and I know why."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The usual?' asked Emi while pouring a cup of coffee for Jinenji.

"Um…yeah, but I'll wait till the others get here" responded Jinenji.

"Okay. I'll still be here" she replied.

"Thanks" he whispered glumly.

All he could think about was what Kagome had said. Did she really care for him? No one in the school did, so why did she? But she has a boyfriend he thought. Maybe she just wants to…

"Well, look who's here incredibly early, as usual!" exclaimed an onyx haired woman as she plopped down across from Jinenji.

"Sango, leave him alone. You do this every day!" alleged Sango's boyfriend, sliding into the booth next to her.

"Don't worry, Miroku. She's a bitch and she just has to learn to accept it! It's okay anyway, I get worse at school."

Jinenji peered at Sango as she flipped him the finger. He stuck out his tongue in retort, and crossed his eyes. She began to say something just as she was interrupted.

"You fucking children do this ever fucking day and I'm…really, fucking tired of it!" said a deep voiced, handsome man. He smacked Jinenji on the back of the head, and then gracefully moved into the seat next to him. Sesshomaru had long, flowing silver hair, and handsome golden eyes. Just as he sat down and flipped his hair out of his face, Emi reappeared ready to order.

"Y'all want the usuals?"

"I won't be eating today, Emi," answered Sango, "I'm watching my figure," she said while fixing her neon green shirt.

"Like there's a need to watch it!" Miroku scoffed, while attempting to get a feel of Sango's rear, earning him a smack on the face.

"You two love birds make me want to puke" interjected Sesshomaru. "Sorry, but I have breakfast meeting today for work, so I wont be eating here" he told Emi.

"Well, y'all know the rules…but since you're my best customers, I'll let you slide by" Emi said while closing her checkbook. "Jinenji, dear, it's on the house today, okay?" And with a `have a nice day', Emi smiled to the group and went to check on one of her other tables.

"Okay, I really have to get going, so here are your assignments for today. PLEASE do not forget! There is a reason you were picked at birth to do this after death, so let's try and be a little thankful!" Sesshomaru handed everyone a Post-It, and stood up to leave. Looked around, and said, "good day", and walked out the door.

"That man is so weird," said Sango as she shoved Miroku out of the booth.

"I have to get to work," mentioned Miroku as he pushed himself off the floor, "have a great day at school today, Jinenji."

"Yeah, thanks."

"And you," Miroku pointed to Sango, "I will see you tonight." And with a long, tongue-filled kiss from Sango, and of course a smack on the face, Miroku made his way to work.

Sango sat back into the booth across from Jinenji. "It's getting late. You need a ride to school?"

"Yeah, are you offering?"

"Kid, as long as I'm still doing this job with you, I'll be there for you, get it?" She looked at Jinenji. He seemed so sad, but she didn't know why. He's only been a reaper for a little over a year, and he was so good at it. Sango saw him as a little brother. She was going to try her hardest to keep him somewhat happy…but how?

"Hey, let's get you to school" she said while moving out of the booth.

Jinenji picked up his coffee mug, swallowed the rest of the contents, and set it down. He looked up at Sango…she was smiling at him.

"Why're you so happy?" he asked.

"Um…no reason. C'mon! I have a soul to save!"

And with a bit of tugging, Sango was able to get Jinenji out of Denny's and into her car to get to school.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Author's Notes: Well? Is it okay? This is really, like, the first time I've actually sat down and planned out my fic…so I think it turned out rather well. So, review…NOW…and then…read and review AGAIN, and AGAIN…k? I'll try to update with the next chapter soon!