InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Time of Your Life ❯ Meet the Family ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-yasha. And I am not looking for any money for this story.

"Speaking"

'Thoughts'

(Authors Notes)

Chapter 2: Meet the Family

About a weak after the first chapter, before school Kagome was getting ready when her doorbell rang.

"I've got it." she called to her family. When she got to the door Hojo was standing there.

"Hi, what are you doing here?" 'Again.' He had been coming to pick her up every day with some lame excuse. 'I wonder what it is this time?'

"Your friends told me that you could use a ride to school and I volunteered since I live in the neighborhood."

'Great my friends put him up to this again. Oh well I guess I could use another ride and he is nice enough.' She thought a little disturbed that her friends would just set this up.

"Um, sure come in while I finish getting ready." She waved him inside.

*****

When they got to school and got out of the car there was a group of senior girls who beckoned her to come over.

"I'll let you talk to your friends." Hojo said densely as he waved and walked to the school. "Talk to ya later Higurashi."

'Wha' they're not my friends. I wonder what they want?' Kagome pondered as she strolled over to them.

"You think your special huh?" One girl said as she pushed her against a wall.

"A freshman getting a ride with a senior." As they started surrounding her.

"What, it was just a ride, it's no big deal." Kagome defended herself.

"Yeah right 'sweet girls' like you are always taking away our sweet guys." They started pulling and pushing her.

"Hey, cut it out." She tried to get away but there were too many.

"Such pretty hair." The girl said as she yanked at it. "It'd be a shame if it got shaved off." She then took out a razor.

'I could really use a rescue.' Kagome thought desperately.


Meanwhile Inu-yasha was skating towards the building when he heard a commotion and decided to see what was going on. When he got there he saw Kagome being beat on by several girls from his class.
He sped up and jumped in to pull them away immediately.

"Yura, what the hell do you think you're doing!?" He put himself in front of Kagome, separating her from the other girls.

"She's going out with Hojo, the little tramp." Yura accused.

"I am not he just gave me a ride." Kagome defended in tears now.

"He's too good for you so just stay away from him bitch."

"Don't pick on her just because you can't get a date. Now back off or I'll start in on you and I don't care if you are a girl." Inu-yasha growled at them.

"We'd better go, you know how psychotic Inu-yasha can be." A girl whispered to Yura. "Fine, your saved this time but don't let us catch you with him again." They ran away.

"Stupid bitches." Inu-yasha mumbled. Then he turned to Kagome. "Hey stop crying they're gone now."

"I'm not crying." She huffed and then sniffed.

"You should go to the nurse."

"I'm fine." She said as she got up and winced a little.

"You are not. Stubborn girl." He growled at her.

She was about to argue when she heard. . .

"Kagome!" Her friends, Yuka, Eri, and Ayume ran up to her. "Are you all right?" They glared at Inu-yasha.

"Keh. They can put up with you now." He walked off.

"I'm fine. I'm going to the nurse though to make sure." She watched him go smiling to herself.

"What happened?"
"Did that Inu-yasha guy do something to you?"
"He's just the type too." Her friends said in unison.

"No, he saved me." Kagome said in awe as they headed towards the nurses office.

*****

Later after English class, Inu-yasha's teacher, Kaede asked him to stay for a bit.

"Inu-yasha."

"What is it ?" He said gruffly and Kaede pretended not to hear his disrespectful tone.

"You are failing English."

"Already? It's only the second week."

"That it is. But this is the second time you have been kept at this level, and the second time you have been in my class. I do not want to see you again."

"Yeah I'm not too fond of you either."

She ignored his tone again as she said. "Now I know you don't have the best home life..."
"Keh." He interrupted but she continued, "but you do need to pass this class. I know you can apply yourself if properly motivated. So I am appointing you a tutor. She is a freshman, but she is the best student I have and she has already agreed to be a tutor for me, her name is Kagome Higurashi." She said while handing him a piece of paper with her information on it.

'Damn not her, I was hoping to avoid her for the rest of the year.'

"Do not forget, Inu-yasha, I will be checking on your progress."

"Fine." And he left.

*****

"What did Miss Kaede want?" Sango asked as she and Miroku met him outside the school.

"I need a tutor." He grumbled and showed them the paper.

"Kagome Higurashi. 555-0127." Miroku read. "Isn't that the girl that looks like Kikyo?"

Inu-yasha's sour look was answer enough. "Well if you don't want to call her I don't mind hanging on to her number for you." Inu-yasha snatched the paper back as Sango bopped Miroku on the head.

"Hey, there she is now, why don't you go talk to her?" Sango motioned.

"Keh."

"It's amazing that someone as articulate as you needs an English tutor. Now go, she's all alone, that should make it easier." Sango shoved him in Kagome's direction and he started walking knowing she'd bug him until he did.

He spared one more glare at his friends then turned to Kagome.
"Oh hi, Inu-yasha, I never got a chance to say thank you for this morning. So, thank you." She gave him a bright smile.

"Um listen." Inu-yasha wasn't good at accepting praise. "Kaede told me to talk to you."

"Oh are you the one she wants me to tutor?"

"Yeah, I can't pay you or anything, . . . but I can protect you from people like those jerks this morning." He blurted the last bit out on impulse not even understanding why.

"Oh." Kagome was taken aback by this and she twiddled her fingers as she replied. "Thats a nice gesture and all but you don't have to. Um, I mean I'm doing it as a favor to Miss Kaede anyway."

"Whatever."

"Um alright. When do you want to meet?"

"How about lunch time on the roof?"

"Um, alright."

"Just don't let the door close this time, kay. See ya." He waved goodbye as Kagome's friends came up to her.

"Hey Kagome, was that guy bothering you again?"

"Um no, I just have to tutor him, we were setting it up." 'Though the roof is a strange study place.'

"Well that sounds fun." Yuka, and Eri said sarcastically, but Ayume said genuinely.

*****

The next day at lunch Kagome got out her English books and was about to head to the roof when her friends came up to her and started dragging her towards the cafeteria.

"Come on Kagome, stop dragging your feet. Hojo wants you to sit with him." Eri said excitedly.

"What and risk getting beat up again." Kagome protested.

"Hojo won't allow that." Her friend said with confidence, though Kagome wasn't so sure. Besides I have to meet Inu-yasha. I promised to tutor him."

"Inu-yasha probably skipped out on your little meeting anyway. Now come on." Yuki chimed in. They started dragging her again.

"But. . ."

"You have to eat at least, before you meat him right?" Eri said reasonably.

"Yeah I guess so." Kagome admitted and was dragged off once more.

Kagome sat at the "cool kids" table bored out of her skull. She looked at her watch for the umpteenth time wondering how mad Inu-yasha was going to be. She finished her lunch as quickly as possible and had only been sitting there a few minutes to be polite when she excused herself. She was almost out of the cafeteria when she was ambushed by Yura and her gang.


*

Meanwhile at Inu-yasha's usual table Sango and Miroku were wondering where he could be.

"Wasn't he supposed to meet Kagome to study?" Sango wondered.

"Yeah, so?"

"So, why is she sitting over at that table, and I don't see Inu anywhere. And now she going with Yura to the bathroom."

"Where is she?" An angry Inu-yasha startled Sango and Miroku.

"She went to the bathroom with some girls." Miroku supplied.

"What girls?"

"Um, I think it was Yura and her pos. . ." Sango stopped talking as Inu-yasha had already bolted for the bathroom. Miroku and Sango then took off after him.

They caught him just in time. "Inu, that's the girls' bathroom."

"But I. . ."

"I will go in his place." Miroku attempted to enter but Sango held him back.

"No you don't pervert, I'll go."

When she stepped into the bathroom she saw five girls towering over Kagome. Yura was threatening her with another razor.

"Yura!" Sango called as she reached around her back for her skateboard and tossed it at Yura's hand, knocking the razor to the ground.

"What do you want slut?" Yura replied.

"Leave her alone. Just try me, or would you rather I call in the boys." Sango did her best to ignore the slut comment.

"You'd have to if you want to beat me." She then lunged at Sango, but Sango side stepped her and brought her two fists down on the back of her head.

After Yura went down the others came at her all at once. She took a fighting stance. 'Shit maybe I should call them.' She thought but then grinned. 'Nah this could be fun. And Inu and Miroku never let me have any fun.'

"No!" Kagome yelled as she picked up Sango's fallen skateboard and used it as a club on the nearest girl.
Sango took care of the rest.


Outside the boys had been waiting as patiently as they could.

Inu-yasha couldn't take it anymore he had to see what was going on. He stuck his head in and saw Yura and her girls lying on the floor. He then raised his head to find Sango and Kagome glaring at him.

"This is the girls' bathroom!" They both screamed as they hurled the trash can at his head. 'Shit, guess they're all right.' He ducked back out just in time.

*****

A little later Kagome, Inu-yasha, Sango, and Miroku sat at their lunch table. Yura and the others had recovered and glared as they passed their table. But they just glared back.

"I'm sorry I was late Inu-yasha." Kagome apologized.

"Whatever."

'He sounds hurt.' Kagome gave him a pitying look.

"And what is that look." He grumbled, and she now glared back at him. She then turned to Sango. "Thank you for the rescue, um . . ."

"Sango." She supplied. "And this lech," She and Inu-yasha bopped him on the head as his hand was in groping range of Kagome, "is Miroku." He grinned at Kagome and she smiled a little confused.

"Those girls aren't gonna beat me up for sitting here too, are they?" Kagome asked a little nervous.

"No probably not, no one gets jealous of us so I think you're safe." Sango supplied.

"You know you don't have to sit with us, if you're that concerned about your reputation." Grumped Inu-yasha.

Sango and Miroku then bopped him on the head as they said in unison. "Don't be rude."

Sango then turned to Kagome, "Don't mind him he just. . ."

"I don't trust your kind." Inu-yasha lashed out suddenly.

"My kind?!" Kagome retorted indignantly.

"Yeah popular snobs, you pretend to be someone's friend and then turn your back on them the first chance you get." He blurted out.

"What are you talking about? And I am not popular or a snob. You jerk!" She stood up and stomped away.

Sango and Miroku turned on Inu-yasha, glaring, "What was that, go apologize." Ordered Miroku,

"Keh."

Sango rolled her eyes and then got up to go after her.

She caught up with her just outside of the cafeteria. "Kagome!"

"Sango?" Kagome turned around in surprise.

"Look Inu-yasha just doesn't trust many people. But I think he was transferring his anger towards Kikyo onto you."

"What do you mean?"

"Well you look a lot like her and he had this crush on her. I'm not sure exactly what happened, he was really depressed and angry after she left. I'm not sure why, he doesn't talk about it."

"That's okay."

"You're forgiving him?"

"Yeah, I think I get it. He's just shy."

"Well I guess so."

The bell, signaling the end of lunch period rang.

"Just tell him, ah never mind I'll talk to him when he's calmed down. It was nice meeting you." Kagome said turning to leave for class.

"Yeah, same here." Sango called back.
'That is one tolerant girl.' Sango marveled as she returned to the lunch room to gather her stuff.

*****

After school Kagome was at her locker when her friends came up to her.

"Kagome, where did you go at lunch today?"

"Well I told you I had to tutor Inu-yasha, but I got beat up again."

"Was it Inu-yasha?"

"No! He wouldn't do that. It was that girl, Yura again."

"Don't let it discourage you Kagome, if you want to go out with Hojo, you can't let anyone stop you." Yuka said cheerfully.

'I think I'm getting a headache. They want to be popular by association or something.' "I don't want . . ." She started but was cut off.

"Oh no we're gonna be late for the bus. Good luck at archery tryouts, bye Kagome." They all ran off.

*****

Later still.

'Ugh I think I totally blew those tryouts.' Kagome moped as she dug in her backpack for her cell phone and called her house. All she got was the answering machine. Then she tried her mother's cell phone. No answer. 'Just like her not to turn it on. Damn I missed the last bus and I don't have a ride. What am I supposed to do now?' She plopped down on the front steps of school.

She looked out to the far side of the parking lot and caught a glimpse of silver. 'Inu-yasha. Maybe he can. . . No, he's probably still mad. And I don't even know if he has a car.'

She then noticed Hojo walking towards her. 'Oh, no.' He had been at the tryouts also, but she had managed to avoid him.

He came to a stop in front of her, grinning like an idiot.

"Higurashi. Do you need a ride or anything?"

"Ah no, no I've got one coming." She lied.

"Oh, okay I'll wait with you." He sat down beside her.

"That's not necessary, Hojo." She said nervously. Hojo started raving about how great the archery team in this school was. Kagome didn't hear a word of it, she was too busy staring at the silver haired skater-boy.
'Wow.' She marveled as she watched him turn tricks in the parking lot. 'He looks like a dancer or something.' She was then aware of Inu-yasha's eyes on her. She blushed at being caught. He gave her an annoyed look, and she gave the same look back.

He skated over anyway as Hojo droned on about tryouts.
Inu-yasha came to a stop in front of them and turned to Hojo, "Get lost."

'Inu-yasha.' Kagome sweat dropped but turned to Hojo with a reassuring look.
"It's alright I don't want to keep you. Inu-yasha will stay with me until my ride comes."

"Yeah, so get lost." Inu-yasha growled again.

"Oh, alright. I'll see you tomorrow." Hojo got up and left. Once he was out of sight Inu-yasha started skating away again.

"Inu-yasha, wait. Um thanks again."

"Stupid, do you want to get beat up again!?"

"No, of course not! But you'd protect me."

"Keh."

"You don't happen to have a car do you?"

"Nope."

"Oh." she sighed in disappointment.

"But Sango does. She'll be back in a few minutes, she can give you a ride, if you don't mind stopping to pick up my brother first."

"You have a brother?"

"Two, kind of. Your damn lucky I was here by the way. Usually I work right after school. But on days off I hang around till my brother's school lets out so I can go get him."

"I have a brother too, he's in 4th grade now. How old is your brother?"

"Seven.

"Does he have silver hair like yours'?"

"Don't be stupid, this ain't natural, besides we're not blood anyway."

"Oh."

They sat in silence for a bit then Kagome said. "About this afternoon."

"I aint' apologizin' if that's what you want."

"I actually wasn't really expecting one. Sango said it might have something to do with Kikyo and I just wanted to know what happened to make you so mad. That is if you want to tell me."

'Should I tell her. Shit what am I thinking.'

They were interrupted by a car horn blaring.
"Come on that's Sango." They stood up and walked over to the rusty old car.

"Sorry I'm a little late, Kirara stalled at the intersection, it was a mess." Sango apologized.

"Kirara?" Kagome questioned.

"My car."

"She named it after her cat." Inu-yasha supplied in a teasing tone.

"Shut up." Sango shot back at him.

"Where's Miroku?" Asked Inu-yasha.

"Cheerleader practice."

"Miroku's a cheerleader?" Kagome wondered.

"No he's a lech. So it's just us today." Sango said annoyed.

"Kagome's coming too." Inu-yasha ordered.

"Yes sir." Sango replied sarcastically, but to Kagome said. "Hop in back, just toss over whatever's in the way."

'Does she live in this thing?' Kagome wondered as she pushed aside old take out containers, some clothes, and school books as she sat in the pigsty.

*****

They arrived at the elementary school a short time later. Inu-yasha got out and shouted, "Shippo get your but over here." A short boy with orange hair called back. "We can't leave yet."

"Why not?" Inu-yasha stalked over to him.

"Rin hasn't been picked up yet and I don't want to leave her alone with that slimy toad, Jaken."

"Sesho-maru will be here and I, don't want to be here when he shows up."

"What's wrong?" Sango said. While Kagome asked, "Who is Rin?"

"My brother's kid."

Sango explained further when they realized Inu-yasha wasn't going to. "Like Shippo and Inu-yasha himself, she was adopted by his older half brother, Sesho-maru."

'They don't have any parents?' She wondered to herself, but instead said, "Why can't you just take her home too."

To which Sango then replied, "Because Unlike Shippo, and Inu, Sesho-maru willingly adopted her. With them it was a court order."

"In other words he doesn't let me near his precious little Rin." Inu-yasha grumbled.

"Inu and Sesho-maru do not get along." Sango supplied.

Just then a short old toad-like man came over with a little girl tagging along behind.

"Inu-yasha, Shippo." The little girl seemed a bit weary of them.

"Hey kid." Inu-yasha smiled slightly at her.

"Don't you have somewhere else to be, Inu-yasha." The older man glared at him and Inu glared back.

"Not really, no. What's Sesho-maru's excuse for leaving her here this time?"

"Sesho-maru will come for Rin." Rin said smiling.

"Yes he will, and I am looking after her until then, so you can run along." Jaken said.

"Oh, I'm leaving." But he didn't move an inch as he stared at the toad-man.

'Does he really not want to leave Rin?' Kagome wondered.

A fancy car pulled up at that moment causing a chorus of "Sesho-maru." Two happy voices, and one pissed Inu-yasha.

Sesho-maru stepped out and over to Rin and Jaken, ignoring Inu-yasha and Shippo.

"I have told you not to speak with strangers Rin. Now get in the car." After Rin was settled into the back seat Sesho-maru turned to his half brother. "Do I have to remind you again of your place, dear brother?" He said coldly.

Inu-yasha looked about ready to fight. Kagome looked to Sango worried, wondering if she should step in.

"Do not forget the 15th. Be there at 1:00." He turned to leave.

"Like hell." Inu-yasha retorted.

To this Sesho-maru turned back around and remarked, "How will you be able to keep your promise to your mother without my monthly contribution?" He again turned to leave and Inu-yasha let him having gone quiet at his last remark.


They drove in silence for a time, Kagome giving directions to her house every now and then.

She just had to ask though. "Why did your brother call you strangers, doesn't Rin know you?"

"No." Inu-yasha said quietly.

"We don't live together." Supplied Shippo.

"Oh." Was all Kagome said as she was lost in her own thoughts. 'How horrible. How could something like that happen. I mean I've heard of broken families, but to hate your own brother. . ?'
She was left off and she watched them drive away sadly.