InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Time of Your Life ❯ The Skate Park ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-yasha. And I am not looking for any money for this story.

"Speaking"

'Thoughts'

(Authors Notes)

Chapter 3 The Skate Park



Inu-yasha watched as Kagome struggled up the ladder with her back pack. He went over to her and took her pack from her.

"Jeez what do you have in here, bricks?"

She was surprised and nearly stumbled back down the ladder. But he caught her arm and pulled her the rest of the way up.

Once she was on a nice flat surface again she swatted his arm playfully, "Don't scare me like that. I brought some extra study materials." She smiled at his grumpy look.

"You shouldn't have bothered, I don't need a tutor, so why don't we just not waste each others time and we'll just tell Kaede you couldn't help me, or something."

"I made a promise and I don't go back on my promises." She paused, and noticed he was trying not to look her in the eye while trying to glare at her at the same time.

"Sango told me about Kikyo."

"Oh what did she say?" he said angrily.

"She said I look like her. I'm sorry if she did something to you but I'm not her so get over it." Kagome shot him a glare as she went to sit down on the roof.

Inu-yasha was silent. Then said, "No you don't." And he slumped down beside her.



After a few minutes of studying Inu-yasha flopped onto his back, "Ugh, my brain hurts."

"Well maybe if you used it more often."

He raised his head slightly to fix a glare on her. "Maybe if you used yours less you wouldn't be such a snotty bitch."

"Hey, I was only kidding, no need to get rude." She then plopped her head beside his, her feet pointing in the opposite direction. He felt calm and comfortable in the silence, unlike Kikyo, with her he always felt he had to say something anything to keep her there.

They lay there for a time. Near the end of the period Kagome got out her lunch while Inu took out a cigaret.

"Don't you ever eat?"

"Don't you ever stop nagging?" But at that moment his stomach rumbled.

"Jeez, here." She gave him half a sandwich.

"Thanks." He said stubbing out his half gone cigaret.
Silence.

"I've been meaning to ask you. You don't have to answer or anything. But, why don't you live with your brother? I mean Sango said he's supposed to be your guardian and all."

He didn't say anything for a while, and she almost didn't think he would. So when he started speaking it surprised her. "We don't get along. It's like he blames my mother for our father's death or something. And has transfered that blame to me. And I guess Shippo was too much of an extra burden. So when I was old enough to get a place of my own I took Shippo with me. Shortly after that he adopted Rin, for some reason." He looked kind of depressed.

"Thank you." She smiled at him.

"For what?"

"For sharing."

"Feh."

*****

Inu-yasha and Kagome got a chance to meet every day for about a week. They were both coming to enjoy the time together, (aside from the occasional spat) though neither one would admit it.

During this lunch period Sango excused herself to go to the bathroom. When really she went wandering the halls in search of the new principle. She found him, in his office of course. She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but finding him there acting just like any other principle was not it. 'Maybe he isn't the same man. They do have different names, and there is no way they'd let him be principle after what he's done. But he looks so much like him, even though I haven't seen him for years, he looks like the same age. I just don't know.'

"Can I help you?" Sango was startled by the secretary, Kagura.

"Uh, no." She practically ran out of there. Naraku watched her go, through narrowed eyes.

*****

A few days later it was raining. Kagome came up to Inu-yasha as he was talking to Sango and Miroku in the hall before school. "Oh, hey Kagome. I guess we can't study today huh?"

"Don't try to sound too disappointed. But I was thinking maybe we could get some studying in while we eat." She said hoping to spend more time with him. She barely new him even though they had been studying together all week. And maybe his friends would provide some answers.

"Yeah I guess. But don't you want to sit with your friends?"

She was hoping that they could become friends, but maybe that was asking too much.

"Yeah, but you need to study still." She said hoping he'd buy that, he was actually making some progress in their sessions and probably wouldn't need many more of them.

'She's such a slave driver. I thought I was actually getting better, she's a pretty good teacher after all." Inu-yasha thought but said, "Keh."

"That means sure." Sango translated. Kagome smiled, "I know."

*****

Lunch time:

Inu-yasha, Sango, and Miroku all sat at their usual lunch table.

"Glad you could join us Inu. I was beginning to think you had abandoned us for your new girlfriend." Miroku smirked at him.

"She ain't my girlfriend." Inu-yasha fumed.

"Isn't." He corrected. "Just what are you two doing on that roof, because it certainly doesn't appear to be studying English. French maybe?"

Inu-yasha just glared.

At this point Kagome joined their little group. "Hey guys."

"Hey, Kagome." They greeted her.

Kagome sat down and immediately got out her books and started studying with Inu-yasha.

Sango and Miroku stared at them, they seemed to be in their own little world. Furthermore Inu-yasha seemed to be paying attention and was now engrossed in what she was saying. 'Well anyone who can do that to Inu has got to be worth getting to know.' Miroku thought glancing at Sango and found he had a co-conspiritor.

"Hey guys why don't you take a break and hang out, you've been studying all weak." Miroku stated.

"Yeah all I've had for company this past weak is this lech." Sango chimed in.

"Hey!" Miroku proclaimed in mock indignity.

"So you two seem to be getting along well. He's not being too much of a jerk is he?"

"No, not too much." She smiled mockingly and sent a look Inu-yasha's way.

"Yura hasn't been giving you anymore trouble has she?"

To this Inu scowled.

Kagome didn't notice. "No. It was really stupid anyway, just because I was talking to a senior. Some people are such idiots." She fumed, much to the groups surprise, had she already been hanging around Inu-yasha too long or was this just a side of herself she didn't show much. "I should be able to talk with whoever I want. I'm almost the same age as any senior anyway."

"Wait, really?" Inu-yasha was surprised at this, she looked so young and she was a freshman.

"Yeah most people don't know it, just my friends." She blushed a little, as Inu looked at her in amazement. 'Did that mean she considers us friends, already?' "I was kept back in grade school. I was always sick with something and I missed a lot of school so they kept me back."

"Then why didn't you tell off Yura or something!" Inu-yasha fumed at her.

"I didn't want to make trouble."

"By not making trouble, you made trouble!" Inu-yasha and Kagome sent dagger glares at each other.

"So you have your license?" Miroku sought to change the subject.

"Yeah. But I don't have a car." She supplied cautiously.

"To bad, Looks like you'll still have to wait around for me if you need a ride anywhere." Sango said grumpily.

"Oh I almost forgot, is it a gym day today? I can never keep it straight." Kagome asked since Sango and Inu-yasha were in her gym class because they mixed grades.

"Nope." "Yes." Inu and Sango supplied at the same time.

"It's the fifth day, we have gym every five school days, Inu-yasha."

"Oh well." He shrugged and continued eating.

Meanwhile at Kagome's friends' table. " Look she's hanging out with them again. What does she see in them?"

"She'd be much better off hanging around Hojo. He's popular and cute." Yuka and Eri huffed at their friend.

Ayume just remained silent.

*****

Inu-yasha sat on the metal bleachers, swinging his legs impatiently, waiting for Kagome to be done with archery practice. (Yes Kagome made the archery team, mainly because they needed to fill spots.)

He was only waiting for Sango to give them a ride, it's not like he liked watching her or anything. Riiight. He watched as she loaded her arrow on the bow, moved it perpendicular to the ground, and gracefully pulled the bow taught.

'I remember Kikyo being on the archery team. She was pretty good.' He froze in his thoughts. 'Ugh I have got to stop comparing them it's so pathetic. She's not Kikyo but she probably wouldn't want to date me either. I shouldn't get attached, I'd just be setting myself up to get hurt again.' He watched her profile, 'But she's so cute, deep in concentration like that.' He watched intently as she let her arrow fly, he nearly fell out of his seat when he saw where it went. Sure it hit a target, just not her's. Hell it didn't even hit the front of the target, how was that even possible?
Kagome just laughed it off.

A few minutes later the coach called an end to practice. Inu-yasha watched as Hojo came jogging to Kagome's side and she smiled at him, Inu felt his blood boiling. He got up and sidled over to the "couple."

"Oy, Kagome, let's go, we're late enough already." He yelled all the while glaring at Hojo.

"Is Inu-yasha bothering you Higurashi?" Hojo asked causing Inu's fists to clench.

Noticing this Kagome sought to put a stop to the violence before it started. "No, Inu-yasha is my ride," she then turned to Inu-yasha, "I just need to change, alright?" She walked to the girls locker room not even waiting for a response.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Hojo waved at her retreating figure and turned to leave himself. Inu-yasha couldn't decide who to glare at so he just decided to sit back down and glare at the ground.

'Jeesh what is his problem? Is he jealous? That can't be it, he doesn't like me like that. Hell I'm not even sure if he likes me at all.' Kagome wondered as she changed.

She rejoined Inu-yasha outside. He was just starring at the ground, she stopped in front of him and tilted her head to try to see his face. He was scowling.

"Hey, what's wrong."

"Nothing, lets go." He stood abruptly and started walking towards the parking lot, Kagome followed.

"I think there is something wrong. I was only being friendly to Hojo."

"That's what you think."

"Hojo's a nice guy, maybe a little dense, Yura doesn't bother me any more so there's no harm being nice back, maybe you should try it sometime."

"I still don't trust him."

"Don't trust him. . .?"

**

Outside in the senior parking lot Sango and Miroku sat on the hood of Kirara as Kagome and Inu walked out of the gym arguing.

"I wonder what they're fighting about this time?"

"Probably something stupid as usual. How many times did they fight and make up during lunch anyway?"

"I lost count after five. Some people just don't know how to get along like we do." Miroku snaked his hand out to her thigh and rubbed in small circles.

"Dirty lech!" She shoved him off the car and he landed in a heap on the cement as Inu and Kagome approached them.

"Hey guys." Kagome said cheerfully, they must have made up again, or will be ignoring each other for the rest of the day.

"We're giving Kagome a ride again." Inu-yasha announced.

"We?" Sango asked indignantly.

"I'm sorry, is it a problem?" Kagome asked worriedly

"No, Kagome, I just don't like his tone." Sango said glaring at Inu-yasha.
To which he glared back.

"Well lets go kids, or we'll be late." Miroku attempted to stop any more arguments as he got in the car.

"Who says you get shotgun?" Sango and Inu asked.

"Shotgun." He replied as he slipped into the car.

"Just keep your hands where I can see them." Sango said as the rest got in the car.

After picking up Shippo, Sango asked, "Kagome do you want to hang out at the skate park with us sometime, I work there on nights and weekends so I'm there a lot and it's only a few blocks away."

"Yeah that'd be great, but I can't right now, I've got a ton of homework."

"Okay, see you later." She waved to her as she walked up her front steps.

When she turned to say goodbye to Inu she just got a glare.
'He's not still mad that I was talking to Hojo at practice?' He had found them talking when he went to pick her up for her promised ride.

*****

Kagome did homework for about an hour then she got restless.
'Maybe I should go see if they're still at the skate park. But if Inu's still mad at me, maybe it's not a good idea. But I want to see him, and the others, and I'm board.' That decided she said a quick goodbye to her family and headed out.

*****

When she arrived at the park it was crowded. 'Popular place.' She marveled as she scanned for Inu-yasha and his friends. She spotted them by Inu's hair flying around him as he went air born on his board. She started walking towards them when she was blocked by a body.

"Hey what's a sweet little woman like you doing in a place like this." She looked up and cringed at the cheesy pick up line and the lustful stare he was fixing her with.

"Um excuse me." She said attempting to back away from him but was blocked by his buddies behind her.

"Where are you going, we were just getting to know each other, baby." He said as he walked towards her once more.

Now she was trapped and angry. "Back off buddy before my boyfriend comes along, and beats the snot out of you." She lied, hoping maybe Inu-yasha or somebody would notice and help her, or that he would back off at the threat. Neither happened.

So she stepped on his foot, hard. He was shocked so she pushed past him continuing in the direction she had seen Inu.

The bully recovered quickly and grabbed her arm. "Bitch." He pulled her back in the direction she was running from.

"Hey, let go you ass. Inu-yasha!" She was making enough of a commotion now that everyone around them was staring.

"Hey was that Kagome?" Sango heard the screaming and turned to Miroku and Inu, but Inu was gone, already dashing in Kagome's direction.

One second Kagome was caught in a death grip, the next his grip was completely gone and she was on the ground from the total lack of said arm. She looked up to see Inu standing in front of her and the bully on the ground by his feet.

"Inu-yasha." She breathed a sigh of relief. He spared her a glance to make sure she was okay and smirked slightly before turning back to his opponent.

"Don't fucking touch her, Maten." He ground out.

"Oh, you are the boyfriend who is going to, how did she put it? Oh yes, beat the snot out of me." He and his gang started laughing.

Inu and Kagome both blushed before Inu recovered. "I'm not her boyfriend, but I am going to beat the snot out of you." 'Oh great now I'm talking like Kagome the goody-goody.'

By this time Sango and Miroku had arrived and helped Kagome to her feet. Shippo brought up the rear. They watched as Inu and Maten started beating the "snot" out of each other. 'Ah this is my fault. I didn't want him to get hurt I have to stop this.' Kagome thought as she watched the two boys start to get bloody from trading blows.

She ran towards them as Miroku and Sango tried to stop her.

"Inu-yasha! Stop, please." She wrapped her arms around his waste from behind. Both boys stopped surprised by the girl's actions.

"Your going to listen to a girl." They laughed. "That's too pathetic." They all doubled over laughing. After a few minutes they got up and Maten declared, "I'm board now. Let's go." He and his gang left Inu fuming trying to go after them, but each time he tried to pry the girl off of him she held on tighter.

He sighed, "They're gone, you can let go now." She slowly let go as he turned angry eyes upon her. "Why'd you stop me?"

"He was hurting you, you idiot. You'd prefer I let him cripple you?"

"Who says I would've lost? And what was that boyfriend crap? We're not going out, stupid."

"Hey I am not. I know we're not going out, I just told him that so he'd let me go, it obviously didn't work."

"Obviously." He humphed.

The crowed had thinned now that the show was over.

"What were you doing talking to that guy anyway?"

"Oh now you're going to start in on that, besides it wasn't my choice."

"Oh like it wasn't your choice to talk to Hojo this afternoon?"

"Would you stop it already, I was just being nice and it's fine since Yura's been leaving me alone. Why are you so jealous anyway, I can talk to whomever I want."

"I am not jealous."

"Fine."

"Fine." Inu-yasha turned to leave but winced in pain. Kagome went to his side.

"You're hurt." she said taking his arm.

"I'm fine." He shrugged her off.

"You are not."

"I am."

"Not!"

"Am!"


Shippo, Sango and Miroku watched the tug of war for a while before they realized it could go on for a while and they left to do their own thing.

They sat down on a concrete wall. Miroku glanced at Sango. 'She's been looking down lately, not that she's usually miss sunshine but, it seems different now. I know if I ask her about it she'll just deny anything is wrong. Her and Inu-yasha are so much alike in that area, not ones to share their feelings outright. I know she will tell us in her own time. And I always play referee to their tempers, but perhaps with Kagome in the group I'd have a little help, and I could then pursue a relationship with Sango if Inu-yasha had a girlfriend too it wouldn't be so much of a three's a crowd thing. Now to get them together. At least I have something to talk about to hopefully get Sango's mind out of whatever is bothering her.'

All the while his hand has been inching towards Sango's rear end. Right when it finally made contact her own hand made contact with his head.

After a second of silence Miroku straitened as if nothing happened and began, "So, I think Kagome's been good for Inu-yasha, don't you?"

"What? Oh yeah sure, any girl that can put up with Inu-yasha is good for him."

"What are you talking about she hates him." They stared at Shippo for a moment then turned back towards each other and ignored him.

"All that sexual tension needs a release, he's been pining over the same girl for what three years now? I think Kagome is just the girl to get his mind off of Kikyo, for good."

"Oh right someone who looks like Kikyo will take his mind off Kikyo." Sango replied sarcastically, even if she did agree with him.

"Exactly, they just need a little push."

"And you have a plan I'm guessing." She leaned towards him conspiratorially. Shippo just rolled his eyes.

*

"Ooh, sit!" Kagome ordered pointing to a bench on the outskirts of the park. Inu grumpily obliged. They had made a brief stop at the concession stand, to get a first aid kit.

"You're such a pain, why don't you ever let anyone help you? You're such a stubborn jackass!" She fumed at him while applying antiseptic, none too gently to his wounds.

"Cut it out bitch you're doing more damage."

She stopped suddenly, "You jackass, I was worried and was just trying to be a friend."

"Who says I want you to be my friend."

She could feel the stinging start behind her eyeballs. "Well if this is how you treat your friends maybe I don't want to be one. I'm going home." She shoved the antiseptic bottle at him and turned, walking quickly towards home, tears already starting to fall from her eyes. Inu just stared after her in dumb shock.


*****


The end for now, thanks for reading.